Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Tipsy - April 3rd 2008 - San Francisco

Pages: 1 46 replies

H

Tipsy

April, 3 2008 at 12 Galaxies
2565 Mission Street, San Francisco, 94110

Tipsy’s first show in over a year. Also featuring Coppe and Magnetic Stripper.

http://www.myspace.com/tipsytheband
http://tipsy.org/

(edited to add flyer)

[ Edited by: hakalugi 2008-04-02 09:59 ]

Now they just need to come to Ohio!!!!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

oh dear lord, why dont they tour! i heart tipsy!

T

Wow, these guys use old exotica loops and play to pre-recorded tracks...Basically a DJ group.....and to think I've almost had a nervous breakdown trying to get actual live band members to play my stuff live....

If I had known that you guys were that easy to please, I would have bypassed all the heartache and just booked shows with my and my computer....

What's up with that ? :o

TB

I agree! It dosn't take rocket science to write an exotica tune, but it is difficult to write something that dosn't sound like Martin Denny or Les Baxter, as they did so much in the genre. I use samples in my electronica music, but when it comes to exotica, GET SOME PLAYERS! You can't make TRUE exotica with a bunch of sample loops.

Tiki Bill.

Tikiyaki....do not give up!!! You are my major commuter music. :D I love Tipsy too, but they are not a listen every day CD like you are. :music:

Krikeee...why must so many fun things happen in the middle of the week when I just can't make it. If it was on Fri or Sat I could swing it. Bet it will be a great show. :)

I listened to these guys and I must say, I relay like their stuff, but it's not exotica, it's electronica. I guess it could sort of be included in a space age bachelor pad music thing. Still, without real players, I can't call it exotica. Don't worry Tikiaki, It's not over until the vibe player accidentally puts someones eye out with a stray flying mallet (can't do that with a keyboard and a sampler!).

Tiki Bill.

Bill and Tikiyaki, I couldn't agree more. I know electronica has its fans and that's cool, but it just leaves me cold. Kavakon's Departure Exotica was somewhat of an exception for me when it came out. I didn't fall in love with it, but it was listenable.

I've always hated it when rock bands substitute keys for the horn section that was on the original recording. Yeah, I know... it's cheaper, but the music suffers. I played in symphonic bands, jazz bands, and rock bands when I was growing up and nothing will ever replace live musicians in my book.

From Amazon, here's a review (not mine) of their first release "Trip Tease":

I bought this cd years ago when it was first released and it still remains on my all time favorite list. Here's what I heard: the CD consists of hundreds of different samples from lounge records of the 50s and 60s (including greats like Esquivel, Les Baxter and Martin Denny) but due to complications on getting permission for the samples, tipsy went into the studio and recreated the sounds of all the samples needed to create this great CD. It's fun listening to tracks like Space Golf and then playing the original lounge tracks from the 50s that make up the song. I always get a chuckle from the horn blasts of Mr.Excitement that are pulled from a James Bond theme song. But what's best about this CD is that it transcends almost every genre of music. It's lounge. It's trip- hop. It's dance. It's ambient. It's exotica. It's so lush and mellow and full of delicious sounds that ALL of my friends from grunge rockers to ravers love it. I always play it as backgound music when I have cocktail parties. I listen to it when I clean. I love this CD so much that I'm hungover from the years of listening to it. PLEASE OH PLEASE buy this! There is so much drivel out there that music which is new and unique and pushes the boundaries never get the attention that they deserve. This is one. I gaurantee that anyone buying this CD will love it. It's different , bizarre, cool, fun, uplifting and all around a pleasurable experience.

TB

Hey, I'm not trying to bust anybodies onions, but there is a HUGE difference between live players and sample loops. I LOVE good electronica, and I've heard electronica groups that I would almost class as modern exotica. Everything I heard on their site KICKS ASS, but still not exotica to me. In this day and age, musical genres are VERY blurred by many types of crossover stuff. I just say, you can't get the tiny flaws, that while not hurting the music, create a vibe that just can't be re-created by a computer and a sampler. Exotica to me is a type of lounge music (played by real people, not computers) that takes you to a place in your mind where you can disconnect from the daily trudge of life, and escape to some exotic location where you can just forget the world exists, and chill out and sip rum laden drinks all day while lounging in a hammock. Tipsy just dosn't put me in a hammock, they make me want to dance. If you want exotica, use your computer like a tape deck and not a "keyboard workstation". Record real players and you will have exotica, use loops and you have electronica. Case closed, thank you.

Tiki Bill.

Roland drum machines DON'T belong in exotica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2008-03-22 20:17 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2008-03-22 20:20 ]

H

On 2008-03-22 20:00, Tiki Bill wrote:
... Tipsy just dosn't put me in a hammock, they make me want to dance. ...

Agreed!

Oh, and they record REAL players and they don't use drum machines!

I guess this is where I walk the line.

My original comment was directed at using pre-recorded tracks in a LIVE performance.

After 6 months of trying to find people to put together a live group to perform the stuff on my record, I finally have a group in place.
More than a few people asked me "Can't you just have a few people and play to pre-recorded tracks ?", and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
This is just me, I guess, because there is nothing cooler than seeing a band perform music like this without the aid of tracks.

As for TIPSY...I remember hearing them years ago and thingking "Wow, I need to get that record", then I found out that they were basically a dj group that uses samples of entire recordings from other people and was let down. I thought that they actually WROTE the stuff.

I'm not opposed to using computers to record, and samples to get the sounds, I mean, who the hell has the money OR room for a Marimba in their studio ? Those things are like 5 feet long...you need a U-Haul to move one ! So, using a software sampler is the affordable alternative....

The DIFFERENCE is using a sample based sound, playing it on a keyboard and composing music as opposed to using loops of entire band performances and stringing them together. That's where I draw the line. I used a few percussion loops on the Tikiyaki CD , but I didn't use entire musical passages.

That's where I felt let down by Tipsy, but moreso that their live show is mainly a DJ kinda thing....I guess that's what made me make my original comment. I thought this crowd preferred a live band.

Hey, if people like TIPSY, cool with me, I'd just rather watch a band play it live than a few guys with turntables .

That's a rarer thing these days.

So, just to clarify my position.... but this is just my standards I use for myself....other people can do whatever they want :)

Computer based recording and composing YES

Sampled sounds as opposed to miking real instruments : YES

Using a drum,percussion or single instrument loop : YES

Using multi-instrument loops of pre-recorded, artist-released music : NO

Using a collage of pre-recorded artist released samples : NO

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-03-22 22:34 ]

On 2008-03-22 22:20, tikiyaki wrote:...So, just to clarify my position.... but this is just my standards I use for myself....other people can do whatever they want :)

Computer based recording and composing YES

Sampled sounds as opposed to miking real instruments : YES

Using a drum,percussion or single instrument loop : YES

Using multi-instrument loops of pre-recorded, artist-released music : NO

Using a collage of pre-recorded artist released samples : NO

It sounds like you and Tipsy have similar standards.

Tipsy does use computers,

They record real instruments

They use loops

They DO NOT use pre-recorded artist-released music other than their own

They DO NOT use collages of pre-recorded artist released samples other than their own

I think we are all on the same page.

Remember, As far as recorded music goes, it is the end result that counts, not the path that is taken.

And as far as Tipsy's live shows go, they don't use turntables and actually have been known to have REAL MUSICIANS on stage playing REAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, not just two people with computers.

However, If Tipsy was to reproduce on stage what they recorded in the studio it would take a dozen or more live performers. Obviously an expensive and daunting task (as you well know). Given lots of money I'm sure they would love to have a huge live entourage but we'll just have to take what they can afford and enjoy it anyway.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2008-03-22 23:13 ]

TB

I,m not saying samplers have no use in exotica music production. I agree with Tikiaki, a sampler is much smaller and lighter than a full set of vibes. They also make a great place to get your bird call from. Esquivel used cart machines sort of like sample playback to throw in wierd sounds that a horn can't make. But Esquivel NEVER sampled a four measure loop of a Les Baxter tune and piano loop from a Martin Denny tune and spliced them up and then said he "played" it.

Actually "playing" a vibe sample bank with a keyboard: yes

Snaging a 4 bar loop and only using one finger to play it: NO

Tiki Bill.

H

On 2008-03-23 07:19, Tiki Bill wrote:
... Esquivel NEVER sampled a four measure loop of a Les Baxter tune and piano loop from a Martin Denny tune and spliced them up and then said he "played" it.

Neither has Tipsy!

TB

I think Tipsy is GREAT! But I just listened to "space Golf" again just to be sure, and its all made from snippets of other peoples stuff. I use this technique myself when doing electronica and hip hop. I own and operate a recording studio here in Florida, and I know sample snippet's when I hear them. I use them too! But I put it in the electronica genre where it belongs. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is what it is. Finding all those loops and arranging them in a coherent manner is VERY difficult, and an art form in itself. Space Golf probably took weeks to make. So please don't be offended when I say they didn't "play" the actual instruments. That doesn't make the members of Tipsy any less musically talented than anyone else, they just did it differently than us "old school" exotica composers. In fact , you have to be a GREAT arranger with a vast knowledge of music to do some of the things I've heard from modern DJ's. But those ARE samples being used in the Tipsy stuff. And while I really like what I've heard, I still must class it as electronica. THIS ISN'T A BAD THING! And while the exotica crowd may love it for it's crossover ability, it's not exotica. As a producer, I write music in almost every genre there is (I do allot of TV and film work), so I know how to play instruments but, for certian styles of music, I go straight for the sampler and the old vinyl collection. but I had to side with Tikiaki that the type of sampling being done by Tipsy, puts them more in the electronica genre. So it can "ruffle the feathers" on us old school composers, who bust ass trying to find players, to call Tipsy exotica. So let's all stop freakin out, sip on a mai-tai or two, and everyone check out Tipsy, a killer electronica band with an exotica twist.
My rating of Tipsy, from what I heard on the website, on a scale of 1 to 10:

arangements: 9.5
recording quality: 9.8
packageing: 8.5
production: 9.0

Nuff said, lets get drunk!

Tiki Bill.

T

Listening to musical samples on iTunes, definitely no Martin Denny song-lifts. Their method seems to be more of the electronica cut and paste, sound collage variety...ie: lots of samples...sounds like there are loops in there for sure. They just do it in a very electronic way, which I would imagine would require alot of backing tracks or loops to play live.

Very cool and Esquivellian (there's a word!) - I DO like what they do, and yea, it would take an army of thousands to reproduce that stuff onstage. I guess that's why Esquivel didn't perform live( ? )

I guess I just prefer a more organic approach, but that's just me. But the "They have BEEN KNOWN to use live musicians onstage" thing is what makes me say my original statement....that I thought people actually cared that a band was playing to a bunch of pre-recorded tracks.

I guess not ?

Either way, I think what Tipsy is doing is cool musically, I just think I'd want to see it live. I'd rather go watch a band playing instruments, I guess because you know they could make a mistake, and when they don't it's more impressive. That's my musician side speaking.

Definitely not dissing TIPSY, but they are an electronica group doing lounge-style electronica, not a lounge group using electronics to make their life easier onstage. That may seem like splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

So, Tiki Bill, will I be meeting you at Hukilau this year ?

T

Bill I just read your post after I posted my above post. Looks like were posting at the same time :)

You said it perfectly, and I agree with your sentiments exactly.

And yes, TIPSY is very good stuff...the arrangement of the different samples in a very musical way. Very cool.

TB

Hell YEAH I'll be at Hukilau! Maybe I'll even have my CD done. Having trouble getting good players who understand the genre (no offense to Tipsy here, I still think they rock!) and working schedules around to fit. If nothing else, at least an E.P. with what's done so far.

Tiki Bill.

TB

Esquivel was NUTS! He used to book two studios side by side, put half the orchestra in one and half in the other, then wire the controll rooms together! The guy just loved to experiment with the newly discovered "stereo", and used cart machines as cueable playback of wierd sound fx, like a primitive "Mellotron", an analog tape predisescor to the sampler. He also seems to like tweaking the send to the old "plate" verb chamber up and down durring mix sessions. He was one wacky composer / producer. A must listen for anyone into electronica music to hear some of it's "roots". I think even he could appriciate Tipsy.

Tiki Bill.

MH

My thoughts?

I personally don't like the electronica thing making its way into the Exotica area - I think it is one of the few genres relatively untouched and it would be nice if it could stay that way. I understand all the logistical issues present with it. That said, we added a little 808 bass ontop the real kick drum to one track on the latest WAITIKI record (The reggae-tiki-ton part of Choko Chuni-chu) but that was it.

However, I think as long as the performers are clear about what their project is and people don't show up at a show expecting to see a band and instead see a dj or musician playing loops at them , then it's fine. Plenty of people like to attend DJs and electronica events . Hopefully artists advertise clearly they are doing that so people can decide for themselves - in this case, it seems clear that not everyone understands exactly what this group in SF does (I havent looked into their stuff myself).

As a percussionist I can say that drum machines have no soul - you cannot reproduce the feel of real musicians with electronics (not that you always want to but in exotica...). And live music vs. recorded - live music always has environment as a factor - the moods of the players, the room, the audience vibe, the world around you - it all affects what happens esp if there is improvisation in the music (e.g. jazz roots).

And computers can't mix a cocktail for you after the set ends - nor can they enjoy it with a fan :wink:

Mr. Ho

On 2008-03-23 09:02, Tiki Bill wrote:
I think Tipsy is GREAT! But I just listened to "space Golf" again just to be sure, and its all made from snippets of other peoples stuff. ...

Just to be clear about this, as mentioned earlier:

"...due to complications on getting permission for the samples, Tipsy went into the studio and recreated the sounds of all the samples needed."

If you look at the liner notes on the Tipsy cd "Uh-Oh", the list of musicians utilyzed in the studio is rather long. They did not sample other peoples recordings. They recreated the snippets themselves along with the musicians they brought into the studio. Additional instrumentation is added on top of this. This is hardly a "DJ" band. Nor are they Exotica. More like Post Lounge.

(edited to add photo and modify some text.)

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2008-03-30 12:40 ]

H

BUMP!

If you're in driving range of this show, you don't want to miss it.

Anybody that goes to see them, please come back here and tell us all about it.

T

On 2008-03-23 10:50, Hakalugi wrote:

I think Tipsy is GREAT! But I just listened to "space Golf" again just to be sure, and its all made from snippets of other peoples stuff. ...

"...due to complications on getting permission for the samples, Tipsy went into the studio and recreated the sounds of all the samples needed."

If you look at the liner notes on the Tipsy cd "Uh-Oh", the list of musicians utilyzed in the studio is rather long. They did not sample other peoples recordings. They recreated the snippets themselves along with the musicians they brought into the studio. Additional instrumentation is added on top of this. This is hardly a "DJ" band. Nor are they Exotica. More like Post Lounge.

Not to further open up this can of worms, but what exactly were these musicians "re-creating" on this CD ? Was it snippets of other people's music or did they compose the stuff themselves ?

Just wondering.

H

On 2008-04-02 11:45, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2008-03-23 10:50, Hakalugi wrote:

Not to further open up this can of worms, but what exactly were these musicians "re-creating" on this CD ? Was it snippets of other people's music or did they compose the stuff themselves ?

Just wondering.

Both! Instead of pulling samples from vinyl (or cd reissues) they recreated the snippets in the studio with actual instruments. These snippets were then used as or within a framework involving the recording of more live instruments performing stuff they composed. It's a hybrid.

T

Cool...thanx for clarifying.

I don't believe it for one bit. I have all of Tipsy CD's and there is NO WAY that they re-created all these samples.

You don't just recreate Les Baxter's 30-piece orchestra in a small studio to sound EXACTLY the same.

Nice try.

I love their music though!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

H

On 2008-04-02 13:51, Jeff Central wrote:
I don't believe it for one bit. I have all of Tipsy CD's and there is NO WAY that they re-created all these samples.

You don't just recreate Les Baxter's 30-piece orchestra in a small studio to sound EXACTLY the same.

Nice try.

I love their music though!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Find the original Les Baxter snippet and the Tipsy re-enactment then do an A-B comparison and report back here. It'll be fun.

T

Well...
This does open the can of worms again, and poses a good question. Being that I'm not familiar with TIPSY'S material enough, and as familiar with Les Baxter's stuff as much as someone like Jeff Central, Jeff, can you give us any solid examples of a Baxter,Denny,Lyman or any other classic tune that TIPSY has lifted ?

I'd be curious to hear them side by side. Being a producer and composer, I think I'd be able to hear it.

TB

Sorry, but I have to agree with Jeff. I've seen the "we re-created the sound" excuse before from other bands, to get around the retarded laws about sampling. I've listened again, THEY USED OTHER PEOPLES PERFORMANCES, GET OVER IT! I'm not saying it's wrong, I love music made this way. Just take it for what it is and enjoy it. Don't make me hunt down a snippit they used for comparison! I've been recording/producing bands seinse 1984 and bought my first sampler in 1987, and have a "photographic memory" for musical recordings. I think 20 + years of experience gives me a right to call myself an "expert" in this field.
Can we call a truce on this thread now?

Tiki Bill.

H

I agree with you Tiki Bill. Who really cares if they sampled Les Baxter or recreated it. How they made it is really of little importance, it's the end result that counts!

Truce!

TB

Hakalugi, please don't be offended. When I've had too many margaritas, my obvious lack of political correctness comes out, I apologize. I was actually fixin to get up on my soap box and DEFEND Tipsy and their use of the samples. Ahem, here goes. Sampling as an art form in popular music has roots in the experimentation of artists like Esquivel. The Beatles bought the first "Mellotron", made here in St. Pete Fla, an analog predecessor to the digital sampler that used an 8 second long strip of magnetic tape for each key on the keyboard (the flute on Strawberry Fields is a mellotron). In the 80's, the digital sampler opened up a whole new world for artists. I think that as long as your not snipping the entire chorus of a song (i.e. the battle between my friend Rob Parissi and Vanilla Ice over the use of the entire Play That Funky Music hook), there is nothing wrong, morally or artistically, about sampling a cool drum break or horn smear. Any artist who bitched about the use of a 2 second orchestra hit from their song being used in a totally different arrangement, making new of old so to speak, needs to have their head examined. We all know the rule, good artists borrow, great artists steal. The use of creative and clever sampling (i.e. Tipsy), is as legitimate an art form as collage, which is accepted as an art form by the national art society. Many artists find the people who buy music with sampling being used, have a new market to sell their music to, just because someone recognized a horn stab sampled from an old big band record their parents listened to, and now has a new appriciation for a vintage artist. That being said, I didn't mean to take the fun out of the thread, just drunkenly trying to make a point (we all know how well THAT can work!). I'll see if I can find a clip from some old Esquivel or Baxter tune we can check out, and post it.
Again Hakalugi, no hard feelings and a big drunken "I love you man!"

Tiki Bill.

On 2008-03-22 20:00, Tiki Bill wrote:

"Exotica to me is a type of lounge music (played by real people, not computers) that takes you to a place in your mind where you can disconnect from the daily trudge of life, and escape to some exotic location where you can just forget the world exists, and chill out and sip rum laden drinks all day while lounging in a hammock. "

sounds more like you prefer to just tune out of life completely.......

"
Tipsy just dosn't put me in a hammock, they make me want to dance".

..as opposed to directly engaging life by getting up and dancing.....

Tiki Bill.

..this indirect lesson in zen has been unknowingly brought to you by tiki bill.....thanks bill!!! LOL

I'm really anxious to see Tikiyaki live - and I fully expect the "sound" of the group to be different (more "organic" and "Live") than the music on the CD.

What's the point of "recreating" a studio sound in a live venue?

In the studio you can go back and tweak and layer stuff and finesse everything.

Live performance is "in the moment" and no 2 live performances are exactly the same -

It's 2 different things - and I like apples AND oranges!

On 2008-04-02 16:54, Hakalugi wrote:
Who really cares if they sampled Les Baxter or recreated it. How they made it is really of little importance, it's the end result that counts!

Truce!

I agree with this statement to a point. If records are sampled they should at least give the artist credit. The Evolution Control Committee samples everything from every artist imaginable but he lists the credits from every sample he's ever lifted and from what album it comes from. This is proper sampling etiquiette. Heck, even Jean Jacques Perrey loves and encourages people to sample his music as long as they give him some credit.

I'll find the Les Baxter sample and report back. It's the rhythm background for a whole song and easily recognizable.

Cheers,
Jeff

H

Oh good. Truce off!

Anyway, the whole "Tipsy recreated the samples due to legal issues" is not a new thing and dates back eleven years. I'm pretty sure the story originates from the press kit disseminated with Trip Tease.

Here's another review indicating the "sample recreation" story: http://www.splendidezine.com/reviews/apr-21-97/tipsy.html

So is it technically possible to go into a studio and reproduce the sound of a thirty piece orchestra? Sure, even if done one instrument at a time. Will it sound identical? Possibly, but most likely not. Could it sound very similar? Absolutely.

So is the back story true? Maybe... Maybe not...

Is it a good story? Hell yeah!

Innocent until proven guilty...

So let's try!

I would love to hear some A-B comparisons! As I said earlier, it'll be fun. In addition to the Les Baxter loop that Jeff will ID, if there are any other source loops that anybody here can identify, I'll do my best to track down the original. Then we could A B compare them.

You WILL have fun.

UB

Hak,
Are you going?

H

Hey Unga! Unfortunately I have to sit it out. If it was closer to home I wouldn't miss it.

Are you gonna make it to Tiki Oasis?

UB

Still pending.
(Not if OnaTiki is going.)

H

Oh yeah, I can totally understand. Now you got me thinkin' twice.

T

Just to set the record straight - in Tipsy we use real & toy instruments AND loops and turntables, live and in the studio.
We don't really consider ourselves an "exotica" group, that's only one big influence/source.

-dave
http://tipsy.org

T

On 2008-04-03 09:49, Kahuna Kent wrote:
I'm really anxious to see Tikiyaki live - and I fully expect the "sound" of the group to be different (more "organic" and "Live") than the music on the CD.

What's the point of "recreating" a studio sound in a live venue?

In the studio you can go back and tweak and layer stuff and finesse everything.

Live performance is "in the moment" and no 2 live performances are exactly the same -

It's 2 different things - and I like apples AND oranges!

We try really hard to recreate the sound, at the same time we take it in different directions, extend the arrangements, take solos, and embellish on what's already there.

That being said, to really recreate the CD would require alot more people, especially in the percussion dept...but our percussion guy is a trip because he covers like 3 parts at one time...playing the shaker and woodblocks with his feet, and other stuff with his hands...It's pretty amazing.....

We do the best we can with the other stuff.

We dont play to Loops or tracks but we do use one of the computer programs I used on the CD for the keyboard sounds to make accessing the sounds easier, and to use the same sounds as we have on the CD. That, and for the jungle sounds.

It's been a hell of a challenge just playing the stuff, due to it's many layers, and also due to the fact that I've been a rock player my whole life, and playing low volume with these different instrumentations and dynamics is ALOT different that playing a les paul through a Marshall in a 4 piece rock band.

So, the live experience will be different than the CD, but in the same ballpark.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-04-07 20:40 ]

H

On 2008-04-07 19:49, TipsyDave wrote:
Just to set the record straight - in Tipsy we use real & toy instruments AND loops and turntables, live and in the studio.
We don't really consider ourselves an "exotica" group, that's only one big influence/source.

-dave
http://tipsy.org

Well there. That settles it!

Meanwhile, I still want some names as to some source snippets. Jeff?

And welcome to TC TipsyDave!

can someone who went post a review of the show?hala

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I am sttill getting over a very nasty flu bug.

Here are some general findings I have made..................

From the Tipsy album Trip Tease.....

Track# 7 "Liquordelic" has two samples of Jean Jacques Perrey. The first one is Perrey's "Cat in the Night" from Moog Indigo and the second is "Island in Space" from the album The Amazing Electronic Pop Sound of Jean Jaques Perrey. I think I hear an Esquivel sample in here as well.

Track#8 "Cinnabar" has the same rhythm track as Les Baxter's "Acapulco" from The Sacred Idol LP. It sounds pretty manipulated though with some added harmonics but it is still recognizable. I'm not sure where the steel guitar came from but it sounds great!

Tipsy Rocks!!

Oh, and welcome Dave!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

H

On 2008-04-10 12:32, Jeff Central wrote:

...Here are some general findings I have made..................

From the Tipsy album Trip Tease.....

Track# 7 "Liquordelic" has two samples of Jean Jacques Perrey. The first one is Perrey's "Cat in the Night" from Moog Indigo and the second is "Island in Space" from the album The Amazing Electronic Pop Sound of Jean Jaques Perrey. I think I hear an Esquivel sample in here as well.

Track#8 "Cinnabar" has the same rhythm track as Les Baxter's "Acapulco" from The Sacred Idol LP. It sounds pretty manipulated though with some added harmonics but it is still recognizable. I'm not sure where the steel guitar came from but it sounds great!

Tipsy Rocks!!

Oh, and welcome Dave!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Thanks for the leads Jeff.

I don't have any of the Perrey sources but I do have the Les Baxter track, so here for side by side listening pleasure are some very short snippets.

Tipsy - "Cinnabar"

Les Baxter - "Acapulco"

so did anyone go? what was the setlist like? how was the attendence?how was the show?

Pages: 1 46 replies