Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"2001: A Space Tiki"

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

I just read in Arthur C. Clarke's book, "The Lost Worlds of 2001" that he and Stanley Kubrick met for the first time on April 22, 1964 in Trader Vic's (presumably in London).

It would have been a different movie if, instead of a monolith being unearthed on the moon, it was a tiki instead...

http://tulsaTVmemories.com

[ Edited by: tulsatv on 2003-02-24 12:28 ]

S

Now that's a movie I'll watch!

I read somewhere that Stanley Kubrick was a regular at the New York City Trader Vic's which was located in the Plaza Hotel.
:drink:

T

stunrut, thanks for the station, I've added it to my presets.

donhonyc, thanks for that clarification on which Trader Vic's they likely met at.

On 2003-02-24 12:22, donhonyc wrote:
I read somewhere that Stanley Kubrick was a regular at the New York City Trader Vic's which was located in the Plaza Hotel.
:drink:

That must have been Jeff "Beachbum" Berry writing in the Book of Tiki, page 171.
This convergence always struck me as the supreme primitive/modern juxtaposition, sort of the essence of Polynesian pop- THE vision of the future of the 20th century, born in the dark recesses of this classic urban Tiki temple.
Wonder what Stanley's favourite potion was...

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 3:09 PM

that's a weird coincidence. i did a painting of moais looking up a hill at the monolith a few months before i read that in the book of tiki.
i think tiki gardener bought it, but i can't remember.

An interesting side-point is that for years there was a bloke going around London pretending to be Kubrick. He got the best tables, got into private parties, clubs etc etc just using Kubricks name. Up until recently, not that many people knew what he looked like, but knew the name. He didn't even have to dress up because Kubrick was known as a creative genius, and therefore people gave hime a lot of slack when it came to dress codes. What a classic scam!

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2003-02-24 15:39 ]

2001 was just on TV....I have seen it a hundred times and never grow tired of it. What's it all mean? LOL I love the tiki/monolith combo...I wonder if whomever purchased that painting might post it here. :)

T

How did you like the new Bond movie?

I loved it....got it on pre-order right now from Amazon. I thought Daniel Craig was superb and the action and scenery was great. Had the old Bond feel to it. Gonna be one of my favorites....right next to Thunderball and Dr. No. :)

Forgto to ask...have you seen and and did you like it?

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

VampTiki

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-02-10 14:35 ]

T

Best Bond since Connery, in my opinion. I liked the more serious mood a lot. Maybe a little too many acrobatics at the beginning and end, but only a quibble.

Pages: 1 10 replies