Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki art swap # 4 - Vintage poly pop menu cover inspired art

Pages: 1 31 replies

H
hewey posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 7:35 PM

Usually I wouldn't recommend another swap straight away, but a number of people have commented that a longer period to make their art would be great. So, I'm thinking we'll kick off the next swap straight away, but not have the 'due date' for like 3-4 months time. What do people think of that time frame?

Paipo made an awesome suggestion that we go with vintage poly pop menu covers as a theme. A number of people agreed that was a cool theme, and no one objected, so we'll run with that. So the art can be anything inspired by vintage menu covers, whether it be a faux cover for a fictitious vintage bar, a painting of a tiki/bar featured on a menu cover, or a carving based on a tiki on a menu cover. Lots of scope for different styles to suite a wide variety of tastes, and lots of fun doing the research too :D

Here's some links Paipo provided to start your homework:
http://arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/main.php/postcards/album01/

For the newcomers the way the swap works is this:

• The theme is given, and participants create their art and post in this thread.
  • The work should be a new and original piece of art. No prints, no old art you've got siting around you want to offload (because one of the aims of the swap is to be a catalyst for new art to be made).
  • One entry per person. As someone said, it would be too easy for someone to make a heap of pieces in order to get pieces back from everyone.
  • Everyone needs to complete their piece by the due date. No piece, no entry.
  • A draw is then done of all the entrants. Message your swap partner, exchange addresses, and get some awesome art in the mail. note - there's a good chance your piece will be going overseas, so for your own sake dont make it too heavy or bulky to send overseas!

HAVE FUN!!!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 7:51 PM

Sweet! I was thinking menu covers because it is pretty limitless...there are tikis of every persuasion (traditional and Poly Pop), wahines, mugs - pretty much as good as having an unlimited theme anyway, and everyone has access to the same resources. I would like to see the menu each artist has used as their inspiration posted with the finished piece so we can see how the artist chose to interpret it.
Hopefully the longer timeframe will draw in some new participants - good idea hewey.

V

Ok - I am so down with this swap!
I am KILLING myself for not joining in the last one - I was too intimidated by the theme and decided to pass. Big mistake! Time for me to start flipping through menu covers!

Henrik "VanTiki"

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Apr 6, 2008 7:37 AM

Ohhhh yeah! In fo sure!

me too.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm-meebee...
lemme check my schedule...
i was hoping "Clowns" or "Midgets on fire"
would be the theme for the next swap....

OOOOOHHHHHH midgets on fire! I'd be so into that!

Yep, we're in for the menu topic swap!

M
mieko posted on Sun, Apr 6, 2008 10:57 AM

Sounds great! I even came up with one idea already, I'll have to see if I can make it work. :) 3/4 months is good this time of year, which puts us at either the beginning or end of July?

How bout midget clowns on fire under a tiki torch?

Didn't feel I could really offer an unique enough piece for this, in the past.

But I'm happy with the way my painting is going, plus love the theme, so I'm in.

Thanks for running it.

ST

Digging through some of those old images, I may be able to crank something out for this. Been itching to try to make an outrigger out of some scrap surfboard foam. Who knows, maybe it'll work.

i'm in!!....no, really.....i mean it this time.....i'm in.

F

Hi Guys
God knows what I can come up with, but a challenge is a challenge so I'm in.
This may sound really stupid but I take it the poly/pop menu theme is for inspiration!!!!
Regards
Flynny

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2008 1:38 PM

It's up to you if you want to do a replica or interpretation of a classic restaurant "logo tiki" (which will probably be the route I go), work from some design element on the cover (the outrigger mentioned above being a great example) , or (more for the painters) maybe create a fictitious cover in the style of the old ones. Perhaps it could be focused around some of the typefaces used.
As for carving - if you aren't up for doing something outside the square, there are plenty of teko, tang, ku, PNG and moai images to be found on these covers, but we've seen all that stuff before. It would be great to see some of the more obscure 50s/60s gems interpreted by the swap artists.
Here's a few of my favourites just to get some theme vibe here in the thread:

S

I'm thinking?

cool idea dude i can play this time ,so coasters are in too?

T

Well, I´m in this time.
Please let me make clear one point: I guess, some of you got me got me wrong last time. I was only asking about the topic of the last swap. Just to understand the meaning exactly. I did not say: I´m in. But I also did not say: I´m not in. My mistake. I feel sorry for that but this time I am definitely in.
I will be away for a maybe one or two weeks, but afterwards I start rifling trough all the galleries in order to find something nice to interpret.

Man, I'm all over this one! So many choices... :D

P

i think i'd like to get into this one, too. i've had lots of ideas from menus and have done it before.

is that okay with everyone?

T

I'm in, too much great talent from the looks of the last one not to do it. And many great designs to go off of not to find something great to make, in any medium

IN...

are there limitations on the percieved value of the item we contribute? so we arent trading away a 30 hour item for a 30 minute one?

I'd like to get in on this one, too.

When will the timeframe be decided?

And ditto Monkeyman's question above. :up:

On 2008-04-25 09:25, Monkeyman wrote:
IN...

are there limitations on the percieved value of the item we contribute? so we arent trading away a 30 hour item for a 30 minute one?

Thats a sound enquiry Monkeyman & one we haven't really considered before - only that postage is the responsibilty of the maker (keeping in mind the weight and that the piece may potentially need to be shipped internationally..)

*At this stage Im going to count myself out of this particular swap: the genre is pretty alien to me & even after trolling through 100's of examples cant really think of a way to translate into jade & still have it say 'Vintage poly pop menu cover inspired art'.. :-?

Still keen to see what everyone else comes up with though (and with any luck may just get inspired & trot in with an entry after all. No promises.)

Happy swapping y'all!

Tama :)

how much time do we have until deadline? Bump

Bump ity Bump ity

We love our pendants from England well worth the shipping we spent to send ours there !!!

Its not about the time involved or money spent it is about fun and building friendships for us

Id gladly swap a sterling silver tiki pendant for any work that somebody from the forum spent time and

effort on in these exchanges.

Amen to that Jen and Scott!
I'm IN! ALL IN!
just gotta figger out what to do...
Deadline!
people-we need a deadline!
Does the rule book say we can
consume ZIPFIZZ
whilst working on said project?
Hope so!
VROOOooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOOM!

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 7:29 PM

Yeah...what LLT said. When are we all going to kick start this? I think I have my inspiration down for this one...Has anybody actually ever seen one of these Cobra Fang Mugs? Was it a brown body with a black snake? How big do ya think it was? Sorry Kinny...ZIPPFIZz kinda tastes like Bubble gum made with Sweet-&-Low...but it does give you a buzz - gotta give it that :)

T

On 2008-07-07 19:29, Babalu wrote:
Has anybody actually ever seen one of these Cobra Fang Mugs? Was it a brown body with a black snake? How big do ya think it was?

I've seen two different sizes. One was about four inches and the other was about six inches tall. I've only seen one glazed version, and that was all green.

Is This The Elusive Cobra's Fang Mug?

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 7:47 PM

Thanks Kate....hummmm, the only style I like is the one pictured on the menu. It looks like it might have been a little hard to cast. Do you think that mug might have been drawn just for that one menu, and then the official "real mug" mass produced in a different "easier to make" style for the various clubs? I think that I will have to make the image on the menu :)...Black snake for sure...never seen a green cobra before.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-07-07 19:50 ]

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 7:58 PM

Wow, time sure slipped by with this one - 4 months and we still haven't got a deadline! Maybe if anyone reading can reconfirm their interest (I'm IN!) and and we'll start making?
B, I think quite a few of those menu renderings were highly stylised versions of the real thing, and there's also a few illustrated items that have never been discovered "in the wild" and possibly never existed to start with? One of the cool aspects of the design brief for this one I reckon....

bump

hmm - looks like a fairly wide open subject - I MIGHT be able to be in on this one - for once lol.

Give us a deadline, and I will make my decision if I can participate.

Have NO idea what I may do - but those postcards sure are inspirational!!

Looking forward to hearing a decision

KS

Pages: 1 31 replies