Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The most I have seen a vintage tii bowl sell for-WOW!

Pages: 1 26 replies

Recession my a@**s.Look at this bowl, although very rare-how about the closing
price.And I thought $415 was alot for a Disney Tahitian Terrace menu.
Dig the bowl, would have been a nice addition to any collection.
Just goes to show you if you want something bad enough,who has the
deeper pockets.We all want to win!
Trader Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300216188299&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-04-26 01:00 ]

what kind of a doofus keeps a bowl like that in his shed for years????..not the kind that appreciates it but the kind that waits for it to appreciate!!! - in value!!......

...not even kohalcharms was interested in this one.....hmmmmmm...proabably has 2 already!! LOL

Kahalacharms has more then all of us.His collection would
blow your mind!He has beat me out of more auctions then I
care to mention.I have cursed his handle name off of ebay
many of times.Sweet bowl though huh.

It's funny, that bowl was listed previously for $250 just a couple of weeks ago and didn't sell at all.

Funny what a week or two can do.

Wow...that is a beautiful bowl...but $605 is way outta my range. Too funny about storing it in a shed...obviously not an object of affection. :lol:

M

Yea all those memorable moments in history lush ferns and all in the shed! Geez That is a lot of money.

S

I've seen double that for a Kahiki Mystery Bowl...

That is a very detailed bowl. Lots of work. Just as an object, its nice. Also rare and marked with a location.

This wasn't my auction, but I've copied the photo and text so future readers will know what this thread was about:

Hello,

Recently my father has fallen on hard times... He is not very "computer friendly" so I am helping him list his stuff on E-bay. He has some pretty nice old vintage items he has collected over the years. He really treasures allot of it, but he needs to get by for the next few months... So I am helping him out however I can. I hope whoever wins this enjoys it as much as he did! Thanks for looking! And please check out what my father has to say about this item. Feel free to ask what else he has to sell.

I am selling a rare peice of the history of San Mateo Ca. This is a unique bowl from the famous Villa Lanai restaurant. This was a part of the history that makes San Mateo memorable. I can still remember eating there with the lush ferns in the background, and the amazing samples of Hawaiian and Polynesian aquatic life. Many people will remember senior ball, grad night, anniversary, and first date dinners.

This bowl was used to serve fruit salads at the lanai from the oppening in 1950s until closing The bowl is made in Japan in the 1950s and still has the made in japan gold seal attached to the bottom.

I attended the auction at the hiostoric closing. This was one of the peices I ended up winning at acution. I have kept it in my shed for almost 20 years... It is in PERFECT condition. There are no flaws of any kind what so ever! I will package this very carefully or hand deliver if someone local wants it.

Feel free to contact me to arrange a personal viewing. My cell phone number is (650) 290-0775

I also have many other items form the lanai! Hardwood table tops and the Tiki from the waterfall room! Photos and listings to come shortly...

-Thanks for looking! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Unfortunately I entered this auction in the wrong category last time I listed....

Someone was kind enough to point this out to me when the found it. They informed me that it would really effect how many people saw the auction. So I am re-listing. I have to do this right to help my father out as much as possible! Sorry to all who were watching or bidding from last time! GL bidding this time around, and thanks to nice E-Bay'ers from the bay area for pointing it out!

He's also selling the Villa Lanai water fall room tiki. here Starting bid is $2,250.00

MrsHoptiki

Just in terms of how much this is - I'm reasonably certain that I remember a bowl from Detroit's Mauna Loa selling for about twice this much. $600 is a lot, but in overall terms of "rare" when it comes to tiki, really isn't near the top of what has been paid for certain items.

Chris

Ok now this is just over the top man.This is really the most I have ever
seen paid for a tiki bowl now ever.WOW!!!!! I wish I had that deep of pockets.
Very sweet bowl.I think I saw one of these in the Oceanic Arts collection.
Congrats to my friend Jason at Starlite Room for supplementing your retirement
on one Vicious Virgin!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190226067999&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=009

Go Lakers
Trader Bill

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-06-05 19:45 ]

L

Does anyone know anything about this bowl? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190226067999) Who made it, was it for a restaurant, how old? That is a crazy amount to pay, the most I've ever seen too!

time to go back and scour the antique malls..there most certainly must be more out there somewhere!!! whoooohooo!!!!!

WOW! EdgeofTexas coming out of the woodwork, this must have been one of the last cocktail vessels they didn't have. O.A. has always had a similar one in their mug case, but the wahine were sculpted in a much sexier way, better than any other wahine bowl:

I never liked it because the pink was just too un-Polynesian, it looks better in black and white. It was used at the Leilani Wisconsin (Tiki Modern p.112), and one other place I don't remember:

This one, the one mentioned above, which edge of texas paid $ 1410.99 for, must have been by the same maker, wonder which of the two came first:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-06-16 10:38 ]

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 6:02 AM

I'd say the same maker too. The glazes are just so close to each other.

I have been searching Ebay for "pink lady bowl" for a long time and didn't see this one come up! One day...

G

Sheez, there is just something about the collector mentality that I don't get. Maybe it's a gene that I just don't have (thank God). What is it that makes someone pay silly amounts of money for a ceramic bowl from a restaurant? We're not talking Abe Lincoln's top hat here. We're talking a ceramic bowl that regular folks would sip fruity cocktails from. I understand supply and demand and the rarer an item is, the more its perceived worth. My brain says "yeah, I understand that's the way the free market works". But it just feels so wrong to lust so much after a thing. I love vintage Poly Pop tiki as much as anyone and surround myself with it, but it's the vibe, the visuals, the sounds, the smells and, of course, the people that give it life. Not the things. There's not a thing in my house that I value that much. So, again, I just don't get it.

Sorry, rant over.

G

You know, I feel a little bad for posting that rant. This is the "Collecting Tiki" forum after all. :)

So please, move right along past my little sermon and continue on.

On 2008-06-06 06:55, GatorRob wrote:
What is it that makes someone pay silly amounts of money for a ceramic bowl from a restaurant? We're not talking Abe Lincoln's top hat here.

No need to apologize, Rob, I am sure a lot of folks here feel the same way...while others don't. It is always good and needed to hear subjective opinions about all this, and to remind ourselves that the Tiki hobby as a whole is quite silly and ridiculous when compared to the big scheme of things. So there really can't be a gauge on the degree of ridiculousness we engage ourselves in, no one is crazier than the other. The lack of common sense is the essence of Tiki escapism.

Your comparison to Abe Lincoln's hat gives me yet one more cause to post my favorite Dan Clowes cartoon, of which I never tire:

I don't suppose anyone saved the pictures from that auction, did they? Evidently the seller has already removed them.

Chris

The picture of 2nd wahine bowl in my post on the previous page, the pink one with the red background, was taken from that e-bay page. I just edited that post to make that clearer. It is a milestone price for a bowl, I would say.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-06-16 10:39 ]

Per your request -here are several pics of the vicious virgin bowl.
Cheers,
Trader Bill

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-06-16 21:39 ]

T

Another of the latter wahine bowls has surfaced on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Vicious-Virgin-Scorpion-Tiki-Bowl-Nude-Wahines_W0QQitemZ180257101391QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller mentions BigBro's books, is it someone from here? The bowl looks to be in very nice shape, it'll be interesting to see if the bidding approaches the 1.4k the last one went for.

EDIT- by the way I wondered if it might be the same bowl (possible case of buyer's remorse) but if you compare the top-down views of each the glazing drips and runs are distinctly different. They are definitely two different examples of the same bowl design.

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-06-24 13:41 ]

Does anyone phone detailed pix of the version with the arm up? That one is definately sexier!! Wow, what a rare bowl!

T

Wow, what was the price that bowl went for? Did I read $650.? I have one but the red paint on the ladies have came off through the years. I only paid $15 so I guess I'm happy for that. :lol:

This is really a crappy photo.

Not sure if this one looks any better, but I still love my find even if it is missing some paint.. :D
I just remembered this photo.

[I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy]
Although, I probably could you one.
MYSPACE

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-09-28 17:38 ]

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-09-28 18:01 ]

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-10-05 04:22 ]

Nice score Tiki Paka.Wish I had one in my collection.

LT

On 2008-09-28 17:23, tikipaka wrote:
Wow, what was the price that bowl went for? Did I read $650.? I have one but the red paint on the ladies have came off through the years. I only paid $15 so I guess I'm happy for that. :lol:

That's a beautiful bowl despite the paint loss. Want to double your money...? :D :wink:

L

WOW! I know I am late to this thread, but I had to chime in re the price of this bowl. I have had the same bowl on my shelf for 20+ years. Never would have guessed it was worth so much money! Given the sorry state of my 401K, I may be relying on this bowl to fund my retirement.

Cheers,

Dina

Pages: 1 26 replies