Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's Downtown Los Angeles

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

N

Apr 30, 2008 08:00 ET
The Valencia Group to Open Trader Vic's in Downtown LA

Trader Vic's
LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwire - April 30, 2008) - The Valencia Group, a Los Angeles-based restaurant management group, announced plans for the 2009 opening of legendary Trader Vic's in Downtown Los Angeles. The group is currently evaluating several locations for the restaurant near the Nokia Theatre and the Staples Center...

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=850197

http://www.tradervicsla.com/

Count me in; LA needs a Trader Vic's desperately.

(I just hope it doesn't look like Las Vegas' nasty Vic's.)

What's the over/under on the number of months before we see a thread bemoaning the sparse and generic decor, inept bartending staff and douchebaggy clientelle at the LA TV's?

On 2008-04-30 13:24, BrickHorn wrote:
What's the over/under on the number of months before we see a thread bemoaning the sparse and generic decor, inept bartending staff and douchebaggy clientelle at the LA TV's?

I'd think that would start any second now. I think it may actually have started but it's buried in other threads. I was hoping that maybe ground would be broken before someone started a thread but here we are. The Trader Vic's Lounge in the Beverly Hilton is still there if you need a Trader Vic's drink. I know it's a drag to have to drive 16 miles but it's there. :)

P

There was an item on the news yesterday about the development at the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's. The locals are trying to stop it but the city council was not being very receptive. Someone accused them of being in the developer's pocket, to which the council took great exception. The locals promise a balot initiative to stop it.

It looks like there will be lots more drama there.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2008-04-30 14:35 ]

A

It's funny -- Soon after the TV in BH closed I was reading a newspaper story about LA Live and my first thought was, That would be a good location for a new Trader Vic's.

Now will it be a gentrified and slicked up, "ultra-lounge"? Of course it will. Why bother questioning it?

O

Maybe we should give them a chance. This is from their press release on the site at the link above. Sounds encouraging anyway.
SOURCE: The Valencia Group

Pictured is Trader Vic's Dallas, which is representative of the style of decor that Trader Vic's LA will have. For more information, visit http://www.tradervicsla.com or contact John Valencia at [email protected].
Highlighted Links

Trader Vic's
LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwire - April 30, 2008) - The Valencia Group, a Los Angeles-based restaurant management group, announced plans for the 2009 opening of legendary Trader Vic's in Downtown Los Angeles. The group is currently evaluating several locations for the restaurant near the Nokia Theatre and the Staples Center.
"We're trying to find just the right location so we can bring the full Trader Vic's experience back to Los Angeles," said John Valencia, a native Angeleno and Senior Partner of The Valencia Group. "Trader Vic's devotees who have missed the signature food, tiki bar drinks and top-notch service will definitely be able to get it all at the new Trader Vic's LA.
Trader Vic's LA will feature the classic tiki decor and atmosphere that helped establish the Trader Vic's brand in Beverly Hills. Most nights of the week, Trader Vic's LA will host live entertainment, including Polynesian dancers and singers.
"As Los Angeles natives, we're proud to be part of the Downtown renaissance," said Valencia. "There's a rich history of great fine dining restaurants here and, with the increase in residents and businesses relocating Downtown, we think Trader Vic's will be bustling."
Restaurant industry sales are expected to increase by 4.4 percent in 2008, with most people spending 48 percent of their food budget on restaurant dining, according to the National Restaurant Association's 2008 Restaurant Industry Forecast. This report also states that hot food and drink trends include ethnic cuisines and flavors and specialty alcohol.
"We are very excited to see Trader Vic's return to Los Angeles," said Sven Koch, Senior Vice President for Business Development and Global Operations for Trader Vics. "The Valencia Group's vision for their restaurant honors our storied past and we are confident that not only will our long time customers be pleased, but that Trader Vic's Los Angeles will attract a whole new generation of fans."
Trader Vic's is known for bringing Polynesian dining and entertainment to the U.S. The company's founder, Victor J. "Trader Vic" Bergeron, invented the Mai Tai in 1944, a drink that has continued to enjoy popularity around the world. Founded in 1934, Trader Vic's Inc. is a group of company-owned and franchised restaurants. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Trader Vic's has locations stretching from the United States to Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
For more information about The Valencia Group or Trader Vic's LA, contact John Valencia via e-mail at [email protected]. Visit http://www.tradervicsla.com to purchase your Trader Vic's LA limited edition mug.
Lisa Elia
Phone: 310-479-0216
Fax: 888-548-5950
e-mail: Email Contact

N

The site says it will resembe Trader Vic's in Dallas... Is that awful? (I'm guessing yes)

Look, a mug

[ Edited by: nichols 2008-04-30 17:11 ]

On 2008-04-30 11:54, nichols wrote:

Trader Vic's
LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwire - April 30, 2008) - The Valencia Group, a Los Angeles-based restaurant management group, announced plans for the 2009 opening of legendary Trader Vic's in Downtown Los Angeles. The group is currently evaluating several locations for the restaurant near the Nokia Theatre and the Staples Center...

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=850197

http://www.tradervicsla.com/

WooHoo!! SoccerTiki and I can't wait to check it out.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-04-30 17:21 ]

Well if I looks like this Mr and I are going for sure!

Trader Vic's Dallas. Screen shots so forgive the quality.

MrsHoptiki

On 2008-04-30 17:10, nichols wrote:
The site says it will resembe Trader Vic's in Dallas... Is that awful? (I'm guessing yes)

Then you have guessed wrong! Here, take a look at the Dallas Trader Vic's while you recover from your bad guess.

Who's doing the interiors???

On 2008-04-30 19:35, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2008-04-30 17:10, nichols wrote:

Then you have guessed wrong! Here, take a look at the Dallas Trader Vic's while you recover from your bad guess.

In general, Dallas is a soulless, generic wasteland. It is the bland ultralounge of cities. HOWEVER, the Dallas Trader Vic's is a masterpiece of high-end tiki aesthetic. That is a bit of an accident, as the TV's is essentially a renovation of the original location, which was basically sealed up in tact for 20 years. However, the developers deserve a ton of credit for preserving the old look instead of gutting the place and going trendy.

As a result, my non-tikiphile Dallas friends that I have introduced to the place absolutely love it. It's totally unique, in terms of actually having an authentic atmosphere, in the Dallas landscape.

Lets cross our fingers, please.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Man, that Dallas TV looks Awesome...I hope the one in LA follows suit...we'd finally have a great Tiki restaurant again.

Oh BABY!

I found out about this just now on angelenic.com. Happy Days!

Since I live Downtown, I will spending a lot of time there if they do it right. There's already a soulless sports bar masquerading as a tiki bar Downtown (Point Moorea), and we don't need another one.

Yeah! No more taking the subway up to Tiki Ti!

Supposed to be opening in a year or so, I am already crossing off the days on a calendar. WHO WANTS A ZOMBIE!??

On 2008-05-01 00:43, tikiyaki wrote:
Man, that Dallas TV looks Awesome...I hope the one in LA follows suit...we'd finally have a great Tiki restaurant again.

Bring it on!

I hope this comes to fruition!

It was a pretty scary place in the late 80's. With the Nokia Theatre, Staples Center and all the cool lofts they've been building, it's really cleaned up over the years.

I was there last night for the Lakers' playoff game.
There are 20,000 pouring out of Staples at least 40 times a year.

The facade and lighting of the Noikia Center is amazing.

Staples Center is an elite LA destination, so hopefully TV can ride its coat-tails until its own reputation is established.

OK LA Trader Vic's, here is a You Tube of the Atlanta Trader Vic's entertainment. Hope you do the same.
Oh, and could one of you talk to Benny and get some of the "Stuff" to use in the LA Trader Vic's.
The large Tiki in front, A frame, the murals and most of the interior. The original sign over the pool would be nice too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj60Vt02SqA&NR=1

Good luck LA Trader Vic's.

K

An slight update on Trader Vic's Downtown LA (along with mug pic from Tiki Farm)

http://eatingla.blogspot.com/2008/08/whats-in-store-for-restaurants-western.html

"What's in store for restaurants: The Western Foodservice Expo
The Trader Vic's commemorative mug in gold. The folks at mug creators Tiki Farm say the new Trader Vic's is still on track for Downtown L.A. near the Staples Center."

Nichols & Lynxweiler?
A Mod Com/Lotta Living - Tiki Central convergence!

TS

As much as I had love for the TVBH location, not only because of the hospitality, the look, the ambience, and most of all the HISTORY that the BH location emanated, I'm completely over the whole TV version 2.0 Corporate attitude.
Its become overrated to me, and most of all, the TV Corporate is too wishy washy. It seems they have Whored out the name to investors who will bite, and in turn, there is no set standard of how a Trader Vic's should look aesthetically. I personally, do not want to support a business with such blurred lines of what business direction they want to follow. Look at the Vegas location for an example.
Look at the politics in BH that allowed that location to be desecrated and removed with minimal fight, if any from the Corporate Vic's level. At least the investors are claiming they want to follow the Dallas' location look, but its only a twinkle in the eye at this stage.
Suppose there could be a connection between Heidi Fleiss and TV? They seem to walk parellel roads.......

For the drinks, I'll stick with Tiki Ti...The TV Mai Tais are good, but that is ALL they have going for themselves. At the Ti, I can always spin the wheel, and come out with a winning hand everytime...
And as for the food,you can catch me at Bahookas, which has had minimal changes over the years, and who have stayed true to their concept. I'll also take The Loft, Gardena Bowl, or Bruddahs any day over TV food.
Good luck to the L.A. Downtown TV experience, and I hope that the investment firm stays true to the TV Dallas "concept".....

I too was feeling burned Tom, the new Trader Vic's is not what Vic had in mind.
Not what I grew up with.
It is bizarre that I have to admit Benny did a better job on his Trader Vic's than Doc did. But he did. On a Critiki scale I gave it a 4?
Las Vegas Trader Vic's? I can't bear sendng any photos in until they finish
because it would be a minus score as it stands. (Sorry Doc}

Now John has his chance to either become a Pep Boy's or do a new Trader Vic's right. (Manny, Mo and Jack)

A little escapism would be nice. Some thing like the Blue Bayou Room at Disneyland?

Sven Koch tells me that John Valencia is using the same architect that did the Dallas Trader Vic's.
Going for a tradtional look.
He is in Kuwait opening a new Trader Vic's there. I'm waitng for pictures so I can do side by sides with Las Vegas.

Eli Hedley? Where are you when we need you?

Wait a minute, of course! Bamboo Ben! Eli's grandson! Get him to help you guys out.
Here is the Tonga Lei Tribute Room that he just did with Tiki Ray and Holden at Tiki Farm.
Maybe an enviromental artist. You guys might be able to built the best Trader Vic's yet.

(Benny, if you read this, please give John some of the items from BVTV?)

I just hope its not as generic as Trader Vic's Palo Alto. Yes folks there is a Trader Vic's Palo Alto which sadly is in a great building and greets you with a large outdoor Tiki but then delivers an ugly Asian fusion decor.

Are we dissing the new TV before it even opens?

Also, lets get real.
A corporation owns TV and corporations exist solely to make $$$.
TV is not a non-profit.

The land under TVBH was bought as part of a multi-million dollar real estate deal and the lease was terminated.

TV is paying a handsome fee to lease the space in LA Live.

TV will be in a high-rise. It will not have any open air space.
This will influence its decor. It will also try and get as many people through its doors as possible - and do whatever is necessary for that end - as opposed to being a great Tiki.

However, none of the above prevents it from being a great Tiki bar.

O

On 2008-08-26 01:02, christiki295 wrote:

Also, lets get real.
TV is not a non-profit.

The land under TVBH was bought as part of a multi-million dollar real estate deal and the lease was terminated.

TV is paying a handsome fee to lease the space in LA Live.

TV will be in a high-rise. It will not have any open air space.
This will influence its decor. It will also try and get as many people through its doors as possible - and do whatever is necessary for that end - as opposed to being a great Tiki.

However, none of the above prevents it from being a great Tiki bar.

No, not dissing LA Trader Vic's Christiki, just hoping this one is done right.
Trader Vic's is not non profit but Disney isn't either.

The LA Trader Vic's is not inside of a high rise but on the street level of one, with a 600 foot patio.
Having a great escape from the bustle of LA will get the people in the door.
Add a wow factor if done right? This could be a great Tiki bar.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-08-26 14:37 ]

Well...one good thing is that at least the new owners have at least a passing interest in Tiki, or at least are willing to learn...they were at the Tikiyaki Orchestra show at Kona in July. I didn't talk to them myself, but someone pointed them out to me. So let's hope for the best and give them as much support as possible.

Nor am I "dissing" the newly planned Vic's. I just brought up some relevant facts regarding the Corpwhoration in general. From the disaster at Beverly Hills Hilton and the afterthought-makeshift lemonade-type stand "Vics 2.0 poolside", to the Las Vegas Vic's Ultra Lounge...Don't forget the recent and premature closing of the Bellevue location in WA, which was only 2 years old. I don't understand why the Corporation leases space instead of investing and buying the land they are to build on? I was always under the impression that longevity in/on the same property was a key to stability and success? Hell, It's worked for Norms and Dennys, even most McDonald's franchises! Leap frogging locations just baffles me!(open one,close one.change city.open one, close one...etc,etc...)
I dont think anyone here knows what is to be in store for the Downtown L.A. venue?

I truly wish the new investors well, as L.A. could stand to use a little more escapism from the hustle n' bustle of "white party" styled clubs with intelligent lighting and mirror/brass settings. I hope they can find a middleground that could appeal to both the tradertionalist and to the general public, so they can be all the more successful.

Also, lets get real.
TV is not a non-profit.

Does this mean TVcorporate should redesign a Trader Vic's in the style of "Fridays" with bicycles hanging off the walls and old license plates, just because TV Corporate thinks it is the next hot ticket?
At that point, let's all get real and call it "Traitor Vic's", as it would be much more fitting, should they have the attitude of "anything goes" regarding decor, so long as it sells and makes $$$...They've branded their niche, and they should have predetermined standards as to the level of decor a Trader Vic's Restaurant should receive.

The restaurant was an image Mr. Bergeron invisioned with a South Pacific theme, completely abandoning the "Hinky Dinks" log cabin/country exterior theme. Victor can be quoted directly from the corporate website-

"Its South Pacific theme, intrigues everyone. You think of beaches and moonlight and pretty girls. It is complete escape." -Victor Bergeron

Does anyone know if most Trader Vic's are company run, or franchised, or a combination of the two? I know for sure the Vegas one is a franchise.

"Does anyone know if most Trader Vic's are company run, or franchised, or a combination of the two? I know for sure the Vegas one is a franchise. "

All are Franchise locations, but the two in the Bay area are Corp owned.

[ Edited by: TraderJohn 2008-08-27 09:01 ]

[ Edited by: TraderJohn 2008-08-27 09:01 ]

On 2008-08-26 22:40, Tom Slick wrote:

Nor am I "dissing" the newly planned Vic's. I just brought up some relevant facts regarding the Corpwhoration in general. From the disaster at Beverly Hills Hilton and the afterthought-makeshift lemonade-type stand "Vics 2.0 poolside", to the Las Vegas Vic's Ultra Lounge...Don't forget the recent and premature closing of the Bellevue location in WA, which was only 2 years old. I don't understand why the Corporation leases space instead of investing and buying the land they are to build on? I was always under the impression that longevity in/on the same property was a key to stability and success? Hell, It's worked for Norms and Dennys, even most McDonald's franchises! Leap frogging locations just baffles me!(open one,close one.change city.open one, close one...etc,etc...)
I dont think anyone here knows what is to be in store for the Downtown L.A. venue?

I truly wish the new investors well, as L.A. could stand to use a little more escapism from the hustle n' bustle of "white party" styled clubs with intelligent lighting and mirror/brass settings. I hope they can find a middleground that could appeal to both the tradertionalist and to the general public, so they can be all the more successful.

Also, lets get real.
TV is not a non-profit.

Does this mean TVcorporate should redesign a Trader Vic's in the style of "Fridays" with bicycles hanging off the walls and old license plates, just because TV Corporate thinks it is the next hot ticket?
At that point, let's all get real and call it "Traitor Vic's", as it would be much more fitting, should they have the attitude of "anything goes" regarding decor, so long as it sells and makes $$$...They've branded their niche, and they should have predetermined standards as to the level of decor a Trader Vic's Restaurant should receive.

The restaurant was an image Mr. Bergeron invisioned with a South Pacific theme, completely abandoning the "Hinky Dinks" log cabin/country exterior theme. Victor can be quoted directly from the corporate website-

"Its South Pacific theme, intrigues everyone. You think of beaches and moonlight and pretty girls. It is complete escape." -Victor Bergeron

Land in LA is far too expensive to buy for a restaurant. Only a developer can get loans, capital funds, etc. to pony up the multi-millions necessary. I think that is why restaurants are (in the words of Humuhumu, I think in reference to Venus) built to be "disposable."

I, too, hope that TV stays true to the South Pacific idea, although neither Hawaii nor Tahiti have a monopoly on beaches, moonlight and pretty girls.

O

Here is more good news.
TRADER VIC’S AT L.A. LIVE SIGNS LEASE FOR

L.A. LIVE’S LAST AVAILABLE SPACE

Legendary Local Restaurant Joins Newly-Signed ROCK ‘N FISH and Other Well-Known Favorites within New Downtown Los Angeles Sports, Residential & Entertainment District

Set for December Grand Opening

LOS ANGELES (September 4, 2008) – Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE, the newest addition to the legendary Polynesian restaurant chain, has leased the final space within L.A. LIVE, the four million square foot downtown Los Angeles sports, residential and entertainment district across from STAPLES Center, it was announced by AEG, developers of L.A. LIVE. Trader Vic's at L.A. LIVE is slated to open its doors to the public in 2009, according to The Valencia Group, the restaurant management group that owns the legendary destination.

Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE will become part of an exciting mix of some of the most popular restaurants coming to downtown Los Angeles beginning this December, making L.A. LIVE the true dining capital of the sports and entertainment capital of the world. Other restaurants opening at L.A. LIVE include ESPN Zone, The Farm of Beverly Hills, Fleming’s Steak House and Wine Bar, Katsuya, Lawry’s Carvery, New Zealand Natural Ice Cream, Rosa Mexicano, Starbucks, Wolfgang Puck Bar and Grill, Yard House, and the newly-signed ROCK
‘N FISH; the high-energy, popular South Bay seafood and steakhouse featuring recipes influenced by the flavors of New Orleans and Asia with a glamorous and fun atmosphere that has become a favorite for casual dining, celebrations and special occasions.

Also located at L.A. LIVE will be the third location of the popular Lucky Strike Bowling Lanes and Lounge, a fourteen-screen Regal Cineplex and broadcast facilities for ESPN. In early 2010, L.A. LIVE will include a 54-story, 1001-room convention “headquarters” destination, featuring The Ritz Carlton and JW Marriott hotels and 224 luxury condominiums, which will be known as The Ritz Carlton Residences at L.A. LIVE.

The $2.5 billion L.A. LIVE development will also be the home of “more music per square foot” than any other location in the United States when the 2,300-capacity Club NOKIA L.A. LIVE, world-famous Conga Room, and one-of-a-kind Grammy Museum join the recently opened 7,100-seat NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE and the adjacent STAPLES Center within the development. This will truly create a one-of-a-kind live “content campus,” becoming the heart and soul of the nation’s entertainment capital.

“With its signature menu and style, Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE is the perfect complement to the L.A. LIVE campus,” said Lisa Herzlich, senior vice president & managing director, L.A. LIVE. “ L.A. LIVE’s exciting list of tenants is now complete and we are on our way to becoming the newest destination for unique dining and entertainment experiences in Los Angeles .”

---more---

L.A. LIVE Final Tenants

Page 2

Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE's menu will include the Island-Asian fusion dishes, famous tiki bar drinks and classic tiki decor and atmosphere that has helped establish the Trader Vic's brand around the world. Most nights of the week, Trader Vic's at L.A. LIVE will host
live entertainment, including Polynesian dancers and singers. As a franchise, Trader Vic’s is known for bringing Polynesian dining and entertainment to the U.S. and other parts of the world. The Mai Tai was invented by Victor J. “Trader Vic” Bergeron, who founded the Trader Vic's franchise in 1934 and helped popularize the tiki culture.

“The Valencia Group’s vision for their restaurant honors our storied past,” said Sven Koch, senior vice president for business development and global operations for Trader Vic’s. “We are confident
that not only will our long-time customers be pleased, but that Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE will attract a whole new generation of fans.”

“As Los Angeles natives, we’re extremely excited to be part of the L.A. LIVE project which we believe is a major key to the success of the Downtown revitalization,” said John Valencia, a native Angeleno and senior partner of the Valencia Group. “We are looking forward to a long and prosperous relationship as we prepare for our grand opening in early
2009.”

“Beginning this December, L.A. LIVE will be where people in Los Angeles will come for the best in live entertainment and the best in dining and ROCK’N FISH fits right in,” said Herzlich. “The great menu and vibrant, high energy scene that they are already known for in the South Bay is the perfect fit for L.A. LIVE.”

"I've been offered many opportunities to grow the ROCK’N FISH concept, but it wasn't until AEG approached me that I was able to fully embrace an expansion," says Michael Zislis, entrepreneur-restaurateur-hotelier, who first captured the essence of Southern California with his original ROCK’N FISH restaurant in Manhattan Beach, followed by SHADE HOTEL and, most recently, his MUCHO ULTIMA MEXICANA, which opened last year. “It is really exciting to bring our vibrant beach lifestyle downtown at L.A. LIVE!"

For more information on L.A. LIVE, visit: http://www.lalive.com

For more information on AEG, visit http://www.aegworldwide.com

ABOUT THE VALENCIA GROUP
For more information about The Valencia Group or Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE, contact John Valencia via e-mail at [email protected]. Visit http://www.tradervicsla.com to purchase your Trader Vic's LA limited edition mug.

#

MEDIA
CONTACTS

AEG/L.A. LIVE – Michael Roth Phone: 213-742-7155 – e-mail: [email protected]

L.A. LIVE – Melissa Triviño Phone: 323.202.1894 – email: [email protected]

Trader Vic’s – Lisa Elia Phone: 310-479-0216 – e-mail: [email protected]

Rock ‘N Fish – Alexia Haidos Phone: 310. 450.6890 – e-mail: [email protected]

T

Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE's menu will include the Island-Asian fusion dishes, famous tiki bar drinks and classic tiki decor and atmosphere that has helped establish the Trader Vic's brand around the world. Most nights of the week, Trader Vic's at L.A. LIVE will host
live entertainment, including Polynesian dancers and singers. As a franchise, Trader Vic’s is known for bringing Polynesian dining and entertainment to the U.S. and other parts of the world. The Mai Tai was invented by Victor J. “Trader Vic” Bergeron, who founded the Trader Vic's franchise in 1934 and helped popularize the tiki culture. >>

Wow...Polynesian Dancers - Cool...Bring on the FIRE !!!!!

We need something that resembles the Mai Kai out here.

CJ

I was just told about this whole thing by Joe Banks and we were floored. I'm really looking forward to this after being heart broken about the one closing in Beverly Hills.

Give me some Bongo Bongo soup please!

O

Checked out LA Live yesterday and the new location. Trader Vic's will be next to the Nokia Theater and the Grammy museum with a skyline view.

O

LA Live

LA Trader Vic's new home

Took a detour on my way home. He is still there with the murals and A frame in the dark. I peeked into the lit interiot. It wasn't pretty.
He looked lonely, maybe he will have a new home soon.

More info and video about the New Trader Vic's LA Location:

http://www.angelenic.com/5972/la-live-tower-under-budget-on-schedule-for-2010/

AND VOTE FOR TRADER VIC'S !!

[ Edited by: TraderJohn 2008-10-25 09:11 ]

The whole venue itself doesn't look that "inviting", mega projects like that are not my thing. But having met the guy in charge of the new Vic's at the Tiki Ti last Wednesday was very encouraging. Anyone who goes (and has been going) to the Tiki Ti has good taste in my book.
It really sounds like he is into classic Tiki/Trader Vic style. One good thing is that the architect will be the same one who did the Dallas location updating -a fine job as far as I can tell. Another is that they are talking to the old bartenders from Beverly Hills about coming back. :)

T

I met the owner of the new LA franchise at the Tiki Crawl last weekend. He was really interested to hear what I liked and didn't like in various Trader Vic's restaurants.

I made it clear that Tokyo, Atlanta, Munich, and to a lesser degree Dallas and London were the templates for greatness, and that the vibe in places like the recently closed San Francisco and (of course) Las Vegas are not quite as successful.

He was asking me detailed questions about why most tikiphiles hold these opinions, and he seems like he wants to get it right.

Time will tell.

On 2008-10-27 20:01, TraderJohn wrote:
Go to http://www.angelenic.com/5972/la-live-tower-under-budget-on-schedule-for-2010/#more-5972

And Vote, Show your support for Trader Vic's LA

bump.

On 2008-10-27 20:01, TraderJohn wrote:
Go to http://www.angelenic.com/5972/la-live-tower-under-budget-on-schedule-for-2010/#more-5972

And Vote, Show your support for Trader Vic's LA

WooHoo Trader John!!! Trader Vic's gets my vote :)

Check out the Update Website

http://www.tradervicsla.com

I was looking at TV LA's website yesterday and it looks promising. I am looking forward to going there on our tiki road trip next summer. Also, can't wait to get one of the special mugs they will be offering.

This indeed looks promising.

I must agree with BBT that the megalapoplectic setting isn't exactly a relaxing destination, but, with some architectural insulation from the outside world, Dallas-quality decor, and what looks like a very enjoyable drink menu, TV's may be on the way back in LA in a stylish way.

Let's hope, and Mahalo Trader John for the update... We're putting the oars in the canoe for your opening.

SOK

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2008-11-17 09:15 ]

$14 mai tais!

Pages: 1 2 74 replies