Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Tiki ... is it or ain't it ...?

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

whew!!! ...man, am i glad i'm not a grand member!! otherwise i'd really be in trouble!! Har!

On 2008-05-07 08:12, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
whew!!! ...man, am i glad i'm not a grand member!! otherwise i'd really be in trouble!! Har!

well, we promise to think of you as a grand member...

j/k man, heheh. i was actually surprised how you stayed above the fray.

now back, to the collecting and the tiki and the drinkin'...

A
aquarj posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 9:09 AM

It ain't.

Since the actual topic question is answered quite simply (as Bora Boris also did in the second post), now let's get back to the primary adopted theme of this thread - find a dead horse and beat it, find an axe and grind it, ...

As Janet Mermaid said,

As I've said before, ...

Indeed you have, and I sincerely believe you will continue in the future, on any thread that seems to present an opportunity! The injuries have already graduated to bullet-wounds; standby for Hitler comparisons just around the corner.

-Randy

On 2008-05-04 14:18, Paddy O'furniture wrote:
Anywho, is there a %age on Tiki ...?

To answer your bigger question (not just address the Oingo Boingo and music example): it’s not the percentage that makes something "Tiki", it’s the sum of the thing itself. Either it is "tiki", or it isn’t.

Judging whether something is "tiki" or not takes practice and familiarity with the subject. That's why foks are suggesting you use the search function or buy certain books. But since this is a community forum (not a hall of records), I see no reason that you can't ask questions.

If you’re wondering how much “other than tiki” stuff would cause your “tiki bar” to be no longer “tiki”, that’s a subjective question unless the intent is to recreate a period space. In a historical recreation, zero percent of “non-tiki” should be visible within the space, and all elements must be authentic to that period (original or reproduction).

If you’re looking for the degree of stuff that falls under the “tiki culture” umbrella, that’s different. Some will tell you that pirate stuff is part of it, others will disagree. Same goes for including Kustom Kulture, Hawaiiana and Low Brow in a tiki bar…The general agreement seems to be that a tiki should be somewhere on the premises, and that an overall Caribbean or East Indies influence should be avoided.

P.S. No white ceilings. Folks seem to get really hung up on this. :lol:

On 2008-05-07 10:22, Martiki-bird wrote:
P.S. No white ceilings. Folks seem to get really hung up on this. :lol:

Hey, I resemble that remark.

I admit, I am one of the people that has an issue with white ceilings..... but if you are going to go to the trouble to paint the walls, it is only slightly more trouble to go ahead and paint the ceiling. I mean you already have all of the tape and tarps and other painting kind of stuff set up.

Unless, of course, you are going to cover the ceiling with something like Lahala or BakBak. (or burlap, or curvy-tin, or old newspapers, you get the idea)

"Darkness can never last too long if you laugh in it's face" -Boingo

Hey, Johnny Dollar, I LOVE that radio serial. We listen to it whenever we can on XM Radio.

On 2008-05-07 09:09, aquarj wrote:

Indeed you have, and I sincerely believe you will continue in the future, on any thread that seems to present an opportunity! The injuries have already graduated to bullet-wounds; standby for Hitler comparisons just around the corner.

-Randy

Nope, no Hitler comparisons (how puerile of you to suggest it). This is more like "beating a dead horse", except that, sadly, at one end of even a dead horse is a horse's @ss. And at least on this message board that end of the horse seems to continue living, quite vociferously, in fact. :roll:

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies