Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Tiki ... is it or ain't it ...?

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

Paddy and Pacifilantic,

To understand Tiki Central the very first thing you need to do before posting anything is read this.

If you want to learn about tiki music as most of us define it here on TC then I suggest you familiarize yourself with the three kings of classic exotica, Martin Denny, Les Baxter and Arthur Lyman. You can find lots of information on them in the Tiki Music forum and a Google search. Also check this link for more information on exotica music.

Please understand that most people here on TC, myself included, are very interested in celebrating and preserving classic tiki culture and the ways we can apply it to the modern tiki/Polynesian pop of today. The genre is specific.

This will get you off to a good start.

MrsHoptiki

Thank you for your links, they're very much appreciated. :-)

For the record, This is Tiki to me...

I believe it's the creation of LakeTiki of this forum. Just an incredible room.

Spot on! That is tiki! It's my favorite tiki room/bar picture. Drool...wish it was mine.

MrsHoptiki

On 2008-05-05 11:12, Bora Boris wrote:
Hey JanetMermaid, you forgot to post the link to your house.

Almost hate to do this, since it is about as far from tiki as you can get, especially to some people. But as I've said before, I LIKE primary colors, so while the above tiki room is absolutely gorgeous, I would actually get bored with it's muted tones after a while. So here is Mermaid's Lanai at Tiki Acres Ranch in all its glorious colors. (I always wanted a place to display the hundreds of mermaids, tiki, and koi related items I've collected over the years, and I finally got it.)

And for the record, my "good" tiki (the authentic and expensive ones) are in the safer environment of the house, away from the pool table, mixed drinks, and general rabble. :D

On 2008-05-05 11:35, Paddy O'furniture wrote:
Thank you for your links, they're very much appreciated. :)

For the record, This is Tiki to me...

I believe it's the creation of LakeTiki of this forum. Just an incredible room.

This is also tiki, but this time with a much more eclectic style. Still, it keeps to the genre.

The Kalikimo Room

MrsHoptiki

Yes it does, and the colors are wonderful. My biggest problem is that I have LOTS of un-tiki items that I truly love -- such as my extensive mermaid and koi collections. I was thrilled to have a place to display all my favorites, instead of only a handful. I used to say my decorating style was "busy" but I've decided to call it "Gaudi-esque" instead. :wink:

Although we won't talk about the renegade raccoon intruder, who managed to get into my lanai last night and break several rare, vintage mermaid figurines. :evil: But that's a topic for another post.

[ Edited by: JanetMermaid 2008-05-05 13:00 ]

T

Koi Ponds, Koi Ponds... damn things attract bugs!!!!

B

If TC were a business I'm sure that a huge number of people would never return to shop here - you don't assault the new customer the minute they walk through the door and then expect them to come back later and make purchases. I have a thick skin and can deal with know-it-alls on this website, but I have been treated poorly in real businesses and never gone back. I figure it's THEIR loss, not mine - plenty of other businesses in town to shop at. And the sad fact here is, there are vendors on this site trying to make a living from us patrons and when new folks get scared off in the General Tiki, they may not care to look beyond that forum to the Marketplace forum and spend their money. Perhaps temperance might be better than knee-jerk reactions.

And JanetMermaid, I liked how described how YOU moderated - a welcome and some guidance - that's all MOST of us want anyhow.

T

It's the same small handfull of 'koolkids' who do the attacking.... they hit low and they hit hard!!!!
So if you see somebody just coming aboard.. send a pm about the 'koolkids'

On 2008-05-05 12:27, Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki wrote:
The Kalikimo Room

Cool! I like it

..... this may sound like a dumb question......... Do you find the neon to be distracting to the drinks?

I mean do you find drinks look funny colored because of the neon glow? Most rum drinks wind up a golden kinda color and the neon would shift that color into something unusually or unexpectedly brown (or blue, or red).

On 2008-05-05 14:15, TikiLaLe wrote:

Actually, a well-built koi pond is a mosquito deterrent. Koi ponds DO attract dragonflies, whose water-borne nymphs are voracious mosquito larvae eaters. Mosquitos lay eggs in the water, but the mosquito larvae never gets a chance to grow up, so the mosquito who laid the eggs dies without leaving any offspring.

Besides, my typical koi pond was $50K+, because it included extensive filtration and circulation equipment.

See, how patiently I responded to a comment I've had to respond to several hundred times in the past? I COULD have called you an idiot or moron, suggested you read the "Koi Pond FAQ", or recommended you take your obviously-uninformed self to some place that sells beginner ponds like Home Depot.

Now, maybe the KoolKids here at TC can take a lesson and start being nicer to newbies. Or do you all really get a kick out of your verbal assaults on new members? Because I can promise ya' that from the other side of the fence you just look like rude a-holes.

H

Ok, I wasn't going to comment but why not. First of all where are you cool new-bees going with this thread? and for someone who is very sweet and nice you are pretty snappy, we get the point, time to go on dear.

M

The Dragon-fly by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Today I saw the dragon-fly
Come from the wells where he did lie
An inner impulse rent the veil
Of his old husk: from head to tail
Came out clear plates of sapphire mail.
He dried his wings: like gauze they grew;
Thro' crofts and pastures wet with dew;
A living flash of light he flew.

M

while technically Tiki....

its not TIKI....

M

although often treated as tiki....

not the best example of tiki

On 2008-05-05 16:08, hiltiki wrote:
Ok, I wasn't going to comment but why not. First of all where are you cool new-bees going with this thread? and for someone who is very sweet and nice you are pretty snappy, we get the point, time to go on dear.

Well.... apparently NOT, since the Who's Who of TC keep doing it to pretty much every newbie who signs on.

But I'll sweetly drop it until next time..... :D

M

although skulls are often used in tribal type artwork..

the skulls in this

are more of a day of the dead style...

and even though I like Oingo Boingo just fine..

This would be imagery more often accepted as pop culture tiki... simply because of the style of music and the era it was popularized.

(notice the shrunken head)

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-05 16:48 ]

M

oh.. and attacking and fighting amongst ourselves... is sadly NOT Tiki either.

P
pablus posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 5:18 PM

Sarcasm is perfectly welcome here.
I've asked Hanford personally.
He replied "Do I know you?"

Thank you Bora Boris for a few good laughs today when I needed them.
Yes, I laughed.

I didn't wish anyone ill will or think "How can I get the newbie" or anything of the sort.
Sarcasm is a slightly bitter but ultimately delightful staple of true friendships and those who think that they are being assaulted when they encounter it can certainly feel free to start a message board of only the shiniest and happiest people alive.

Then when I post there with sarcasm what will the response be?

I've had plenty of vivacious arguments with many of the posters here. I've pissed off my favorite people, the carvers, on more than one occasion. I've, without meaning to, made people call me out harshly - and they are people whose writings I respect and admire.

(edit here - I still love them and will always admire their work and have made inroads with them again through counseling and my probation officer.)

If you believe Oingo Boingo is tiki then let us have a real reason why and prepare for the counter attacks.
It's a MESSAGE BOARD.

With that being said, I appreciated the response by Pacifilantic and even if was just to get him/her posting then this thread has been a good thing.

The reason so many of our more venerable posters have left is that they are over the constant worrying about hurting someone's feelings over a couple of decent barbs and a slight exasperation over treading the same ground when it's very easy to seek out the answers for many questions on this very exhaustive and well orchestrated website.

I did meet one of Danny Elfman's colleagues in the Emeryville Trader Vics one time - so I guess that makes Elfman "tiki."

He had tall red hair, dyed, and he was working for Lucas on the former naval base between the cities.
Man, I'd trade jobs with that guy in a second, even if it meant working with a non-tiki hack like Elfman.

:wink:

[ Edited by: pablus 2008-05-05 17:40 ]

On 2008-05-05 16:37, Monkeyman wrote:
oh.. and attacking and fighting amongst ourselves... is sadly NOT Tiki either.

oooh! Can I be Beavis this time?!

Here it often appears we have "Two Tribes"...

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGklkFtR9Id7QAU.5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzcHVlZHR1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0Y5NDVfMTA0/SIG=12098lv3g/EXP=1210123909/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=RTOQUnvI3CA

I know what side I'm on, do you?

Psycho Tiki D ( I know I am and my tribe always wins)!

T

Oingo Boingo and the Six Degrees of Tiki Separation :

Danny Elfman was a member of Oingo Boingo

He scored the music for Pee Wee's Big Adventure

The Music for Pee Wee's Playhouse (the T.V. Show) was scored by Mark Mothersbaugh, another seminal Punk/New Wave artist of the late 70's 80's

Mark Motherbaugh is a personal friend of Sven Kirsten...author of the Book of TIKI.

Just for the record Paddy O'....I hope you didn't think I was attacking...just goofin around. Your screen name is a hoot.

Ben....Don't tell me to chill out ! and don't call me Teriyaki, that's my evil twin.....

P
pablus posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 7:17 PM

I thought Rundgren scored that Peewee.
But I wasn;t sure. It just sounded like him.

Oddly, the guy I met at Trader Vics in Emeryville had just finished the new Popeye series with none other than Ohio's Mark Mothersbaugh. If Ohio ain't tiki then nowhere is ain't tiki not.

...AND Rundgren plays TikiKing's ukes.

Whoa - I just felt a cosmic rend in the Kirsten Kontinuoum.

T

When I said I play Thin Lizzy when the tiki freaks come
over.
I meant it!
I did. And it confused them!
They laughed, I laughed.
Great time.

Buy what you like.
F the rest.

Who drinks beet juice anyway?
I guess someone who drinks to the beet of a different
drummer.

A better question would be how did tiki get so pricky!
Soon we will be tipping over everyones tiki and resorting to
cannibalism.
(Easter Island ref)

P
pablus posted on Mon, May 5, 2008 7:26 PM

I'm horribly offended by this and will start my new website "BeetTiki" within moments.
I expect lots of people there. Maybe even six.

O-H...

On 2008-05-05 15:57, JanetMermaid wrote:

See, how patiently I responded to a comment I've had to respond to several hundred times in the past? I COULD have called you an idiot or moron,

..but tikilale is an idiot and a moron!!! ...or haven't you been paying attention to his lack of input here other than his witless one-liners....

M

EEEeeeeeek!

Almost hate to do this, since it is about as far from tiki as you can get, especially to some people. But as I've said before, I LIKE primary colors, so while the above tiki room is absolutely gorgeous, I would actually get bored with it's muted tones after a while. So here is Mermaid's Lanai at Tiki Acres Ranch in all its glorious colors. (I always wanted a place to display the hundreds of mermaids, tiki, and koi related items I've collected over the years, and I finally got it.)

And for the record, my "good" tiki (the authentic and expensive ones) are in the safer environment of the house, away from the pool table, mixed drinks, and general rabble. :D

I'm sure my opinion lies right in the middle of the whole "Tiki Must Be Pure" VS. "Tiki Can't Be Pure" Debate and have no intention of ever entering this debate again.

But can we all at least agree that the term "koolkids" is the most annoying and dismissive term ever invented?

What is this, High School?!?!?!

I keep reading it here, and it drives me crazy!

To anyone who uses that term, and its equally silly brother "clique"

THERE IS NO SECRET CADRE OUT THERE PLOTTING TO DISAGREE WITH YOU.

In communities, some people agree with each other, some disagree. Applying the term "koolkids", or "clique" to a group of people who happen to agree on something, only displays your paranoia, or some past hang up about being the last one called for dodge ball or something.

And Yes sensible readers out there, I know you're about to make the point that I just guaranteed a never ending use of the term koolkids by this post, but I had to say it! (even though I know you're right) I just couldn't take it any more!!!!

Oh, the original topic, nah, Oingo Boingo isn't Tiki to me, and I love little girls.

On 2008-05-05 20:15, Moai_Mama wrote:
EEEeeeeeek!

Thank ya'. Thank ya' verra much.... :D

On 2008-05-05 20:35, The Granite Tiki wrote:
THERE IS NO SECRET CADRE OUT THERE PLOTTING TO DISAGREE WITH YOU.

We have to disagree with you.

We have been waiting for this moment to finally come out of the shadows as the Secret Society of Disagreement and Decisiveness, you may call us SSoDD for short. We have been plotting and scheming for years now to manipulate the members of the message board. Our plans are almost complete.

M

JanetMermaid: "And for the record, my "good" tiki (the authentic and expensive ones) are in the safer environment of the house" ...

Please do share some pics of your "good" tiki to offset our oingo-boingo'd eyeballs from all that, errr, COLOR ;-p
Very nice webpage, though!
And getting back to the subject at hand, I also enjoy listening to Oingo Boingo and most all types of music, but don't consider it to be classic tiki tunes myself. Personally, I find the cool old-school exotic tiki music to be more suitable for relaxing (and/or for sexy time!)

[ Edited by: Moai_Mama 2008-05-06 04:47 ]

T

I O !!!

T

On 2008-05-05 19:45, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

On 2008-05-05 15:57, JanetMermaid wrote:

See, how patiently I responded to a comment I've had to respond to several hundred times in the past? I COULD have called you an idiot or moron,

..but tikilale is an idiot and a moron!!! ...or haven't you been paying attention to his lack of input here other than his witless one-liners....

Still showing that 'Chi-town love' God Bless You!
Wasn't that a picture of Sen. Larry Craig on your drink shelf?

Here's some Tiki Central trivia for everyone:

Everyday day we see TikiLaLe trolling everyone and misusing the term "kool kids."

Does anyone remember the origin of the phrase "cool kids" here on Tiki Central? And who first coined the phrase here back in 2006?

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 11:07 AM

GROG hope this thread get locked for turning into the stupid mud-throwing thread it has become.

T

'Koolkids' from Nashua to Yuciapa....

T

On 2008-05-06 11:30, TikiLaLe wrote:

Thank you for completely missing the point as always.

We do have a winner for our trivia question. I will put a little RAOT in the mail for him.

On 2008-05-06 13:02, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2008-05-06 11:30, TikiLaLe wrote:

Thank you for completely missing the point as always.

We do have a winner for our trivia question. I will put a little RAOT in the mail for him.

Dang it! I knew the answer too! Hey kids, this a great way to LEARN AND USE the search feature of TC.

P
pablus posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 2:33 PM

I searched for the word "search" and my keyboard melted.

Who can spot the "Kool Kid" in this photo?

That's easy, but he isn't technically a 'kid.' He is that old man that Bill Cosby was always on about, the one that lives in the school and only looks like a kid. He is really an old man and is there specifically to teach the other kids how to curse and annoy their parents.

OK, I gotta 'nother dumb question............

How did a question about the origins and influences of Danny Elfman and OingoBoingo get around to what is and isn't Tiki? And get there with so much name calling and meanness?

On 2008-05-07 04:41, Chip and Andy wrote:
OK, I gotta 'nother question............
How did a question about the origins and influences of Danny Elfman and OingoBoingo get around to what is and isn't Tiki? And get there with so much name calling and meanness?

I was wondering the same thing. As a newie, I posted what I thought was a legit question,

"Would old school Oingo Bingo be IN ANYWAY INTERTWINED with the culture...?"

I meant no disrespect.

Suggestion: If you want the new folks (if you want new folks) to see the introduction thread then make it a "sticky" so it will stay at the top of the page and that way people will see it ... just my 1/2 cent and I'm done.

[ Edited by: Paddy O'furniture 2008-05-07 15:50 ]

The sad thing to me is that some of the worst offenders of rudeness are Grand Members, which includes these in the Code of Conduct:

• I understand that as a Grand Member I take on a role as a representative of Tiki Central’s most dedicated members, and I will strive to represent Tiki Central in a positive, fun, and intelligent manner, so that others will be encouraged to become Grand Members.

• I will treat all members of Tiki Central with respect, dignity, and politeness, even if they do not treat me or others that way.

As I've said before, perhaps their having to answer the same questions over and over has created a tender box of frustration. BUT, that's still not an excuse to treat anyone with the rude, patronizing attitude they display.

No one on here should ever have to receive a PM apologizing for how they were treated by other members. I received several PMs to that effect when I was new, and I'm sure you've received some too.

Weren't Danny Elfman and Mark Mothersborough(DEVO)involved with the music for Pee Wee's Playhouse? The sound track has a real Martin Denny kinda sound, so there would be a connection.
http://www.peewee.com/

T

On 2008-05-05 16:29, JanetMermaid wrote:
But I'll sweetly drop it until next time..... :D

On 2008-05-07 06:38, JanetMermaid wrote:
The sad thing to me is that some of the worst offenders of rudeness are Grand Members, which includes these in the Code of Conduct:

• I understand that as a Grand Member I take on a role as a representative of Tiki Central’s most dedicated members, and I will strive to represent Tiki Central in a positive, fun, and intelligent manner, so that others will be encouraged to become Grand Members.

• I will treat all members of Tiki Central with respect, dignity, and politeness, even if they do not treat me or others that way.

As I've said before, perhaps their having to answer the same questions over and over has created a tender box of frustration. BUT, that's still not an excuse to treat anyone with the rude, patronizing attitude they display.

No one on here should ever have to receive a PM apologizing for how they were treated by other members. I received several PMs to that effect when I was new, and I'm sure you've received some too.

Way to sweetly drop it, JanetMermaid. Well done.

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies