Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

I am painting in RUM..so I can drink my brush cleaner!!!!

Pages: 1 25 replies

T

ALoha All...

This is a quick thread to introduce, informally one of my latest experiments in artistic mayhem!! It started by accident..but has become my new sorta signature series endeavors. Some of my neiboring artists in Hawaii that are painters...Lassen and Wyland do this thing where they do fairly quick Chinese brush and ink paintings of dolphins and simple sea creatures in swooping lines. Basically..something that can be done in 15 minutes or less. Visitors at some of my signings have asked me why I don't offer this as well. It allows for someone to own a small original piece for a more affordable price. Well...first of all, I thought, I like this, but am not going to be a copy cat and emulate any artist. That's a bore!! However, I recalled something I did once by accident..that turned out pretty cool! This could be my answer to the challenge!

Those who know me know I love my rum. I have been known to sip a fine rum as I paint at the end of a long day. One day, I made the mistake of dipping a brush into a fine mug of sipping rum. It was a Lemon Hart I think. Not a bad rum to sip. Well, this brush that I wanted to have full of water to blend an area of acrylic washes drenched my canvas with a golden brown, sweet smelling splash of magic. I though..wow..this is a beautiful, subtle golden brown. I was horrified at ruining my rum, but delighted at the idea of making good use of my tainted drink.

Fast forwarding...I experimented with rum as a sort of "Ink." I found that I could light a Demerara 151 rum in a Sake cup and as it burned, I would do a fast, light pencil sketch on watercolor paper. The rum would reduce in volume and darken in color. It also left a wonderful caramelized residue on the inside of the cup I could pull my brush into for the darkest brown accents in my sketch. So..by the flickering glow of rum on a cool spring night..I painted. I am having a ball!!! (yes..I do drink a little of my "ink"..to justify my investments in the finer rums!!

We are just about to release a framed series of these under UV glass..all are small..about 11"by 14" unframed. The response has been unbelievable so far..so it looks like this is one of my fun kinna trademark creations. I committed to my publishers to paint as many as possible this month in rum!! We hope to have a good stock for summer. Poor me!!! Everything in my studio smells like rum!! What a true pirates dream!

Anyway, just sharing with my friends here as a sort of first glimpse. Figured you guys would get a kick out of it. Here are a few. I just paint whatever fun thing that comes from my head at the time. In my mind, I imagine being a pirate at sea who paints things he saw on adventures or aboard ship. So..the subject matter is based on this idea. I spray fix them at the end to seal the pieces. The UV protective glass will assure these will not fade over the years.

So..there's my answer to competing with fellow artists in faster brush paintings in Hawaii!! I think it suits me just fine!! If you visit Waikiki this summer..I plan to do a bunch in the gallery and you can wittness the burning event. It will smell like a still in there... but as long as I don't lose my goatee or eyebrows, I should kick out a few fun rum soaked sketches for the eve.

Oh, On a side note. I posted a response to a thread here regarding the closing of the Holakai grill and feelings on the new Beachwalk development in Waikiki. There was a comment or two where some TC'ers were concerned the THOR STOR closed it's doors. Not the CASE!! We just moved to the new area on Lewer's street and if you read the thread comment there it explains our new plans for this season!! LOTS of fun stuff in store!!! We are growing!

Anyway.. I got rum on fire that's just the right color to paint with, so I better get goin!!...see ya around soon!! some rum sketches below!!! Tiki's and more pirates coming soon! Check out my MYSPACE page for better pictures...it's @ http://www.myspace.com/thor_hawaii

[ Edited by: THOR's 2008-05-10 11:43 ]

[ Edited by: thor's 2008-05-11 12:30 ]

Yo ho yo ho, a pirate's palette for me....!
Thor that's a great idea! The sketches have a nice loose energy and have a (dare I say) cool Disney pirates of the Caribbean Look. Like those fantastic old Marc Davis sketches. Really really cool! How much are they going for?

T

HEY OL' BUD!! How's life on the Big Isle???

I noticed the similarity to Marks drawings from the 50's and 60's. I think it's party because you rarely see pen and ink sketches anymore with washes. It gives a feeling of more old world techniques. Of course..all anyone has to do these days is think of a pirate and we connect it to Disney. LOL!

We are a few weeks away from releasing this little series. I don't believe the final prices have been set yet so I will defer that question to Max..who holds the torch for the Thor program and helps me set prices. I am keeping the subject matter really simple and fun. Stay tuned for prices... The new website will be up and running in a matter of days too. Looking forward to seeing you and all your great new stuff soon!! We will be at Oasis for sure!

~

This is realy cool. I am amazed that you can achieve such rich depth of color. As always your style and imagination prevails. One question that I have is the permanence of the color, I wonder if the originals will fade at a more rapid than 'normal' pace.
Looking forward to the series. Thanks soo much for the sneak preciew Thor.
Yo ho ho, they be mighty fine!
Madd Jon Kidd

Double Rock On! The sepia tone is very appropriate for the retro style. You have forged new, cooler (and marketable) turf.

This reminds me of when I got a graphite look from black acrylic by adding detergent. My motto: EXPERIMENT OR DIE.

T

Hey thee Mad Jon!!

As far as fading. What fades a pigment is ultra violet light. Rum may not fade even in UV light. However, to make sure these are preserved just as a fine watercolor would be, we will be placing these in frames and behind a high quality Ultra violet screening glass. It's what they use to protect an art piece or photo from fading. I also use a high quality artists fixative/sealer to the final image to set the pigment and pencil lines. So..these things will probably outlast the Moai on Easter Island!! LOL!! Thanks for the enthusiasm!!!!

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 5:46 PM

Hey mate, long time no see! As always, anything you turn your hand to turns to gold! (although maybe not that first glass of rum! :lol: ). I must admit, this thread does explain a LOT about your creativity! :wink: :lol: These are sweet pieces of art, hoping the budget allows for one when they come up for sale. How about some vintage tiki bar type pieces (like old menu cover art)? More than definitely goes with the rum soaked theme, and the tiki heads will snap them up too!

Make sure you post more!

K
Kahu posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 5:51 PM

WOW those are great to see. What a great way to paint! Look forward to seeing more of these from you.

awesome idea thor! they all look killer, and im sure they taste just as good!, haha

T

Hey Hewey!! YES!! Long time no chat!!! I miss ya buddy!! I need to see what your creativity is brewing lately! Great quote you have here from Sven regarding good taste and art!! The great thing about painting in rum is that no matter what you create..if you scratch, sniff and take a lick of it..it always has GOOD TASTE!!(smell too) ARR ARRR You predicted that right Tiki Thomas!!

Thanks Kahu...I will keep up the monkey shines. Painting with this medium is a wee bit nonsense, I know. However..recall what the first Willy Wonka said, "A little nonsense now and then is brandished by the wisest men". Cheers!!

Arrrrrrrr-some!

( nice head!!!)

Wow these are cool - do you ever catch your brushes on fire?

T

YES!! Several times!! But they are ok!! It's like having a tiny Tiki torch that needs to be extinguished is all. It doesn't hurt the fibers at all... I am working on a fire eating routine as I paint!! lol I am hoping MArina can help me with that!!!

Mighty fine sketches in rum!

Good work!

S
T

Rum-markable! (groan)

*When a great idea meets a bit of talent and enthusiasm, you've got a winner!

I remember reading an article years ago about this strange goth/wizard artist who painted with his own blood (pretty cool stuff actually and very 'apt' for his style/subject matter - as is your own rum/pirate flavour..), but I know which Id rather take home.. Well done for finding a quick money-spinner/people-pleaser too, Im a fulltime artist and can fully appreciate that.

Best of luck with them!

Tama :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 13, 2008 12:49 AM

Nice "rum-doodles".

B

Great idea Thor and the pieces look just as great, pretty incredible and to think it' Rum! I'm afraid if it were me painting I would be constantly Out of ink since once you get started sipping that fine stuff it's hard to stop. I Really have to visit this side of "Creating" more often, it was nice seeing your post!

P

those are great thor. can't wait to see them in person.

T

HEY BENZ and Pdrake!!

Benz... Don't think I don't have the same problem with drinking some of my "ink".... But at least I am not disgusted anymore when I accidently drink from my Brush rinse cup. Hope all is well in the carving world!!

I agree with Robb...very retro sepia looking. Beautiful work and the mermaid is awesome. :)

K
KuKu posted on Sat, May 31, 2008 7:55 PM

WOW!!!
These are GREAT Tom! I remember seeing some of them in the Waikiki STOR a couple years back and wish we had come back to the Mainland with one or two or a few... Got any left?!? They are are like John Severson's lil pen/ink wash surf sketches although I think he is using chum ( being the surf demigawd he is) instead of rum.

Sure do LOVE LOVE LOVE our Hookah Lau Bubble Bar and Viva Lava Diva originals!

Will we see ya in The Wreck Bar for Hukilau...?

On 2008-05-12 14:55, THOR's wrote:
YES!! Several times!! But they are ok!! It's like having a tiny Tiki torch that needs to be extinguished is all. It doesn't hurt the fibers at all...
I am working on a fire eating routine as I paint!! lol I am hoping MArina can help me with that!!

!

Your Wahine with a Fin is in like Flynn!

Sea you next week!

Marina

B

love it!

dont approve of wasting good dark rum...but the result is killer.

i hope to see it in person on da rock soon!

Wow, Bongofury was telling me about these Rum Paintings... nice job Thor! I also love the ritual of the fire! I love the richness of the golden color!

you Rock,Tom!
You produce so much work of such high quality....
and now this!
Thank you for pushing your talent and experimenting!
it's very inspiring!
I may be sending you a PM
as my new bongwater paintings
are lacking something....
and they smell funny! :lol:

T
THOR's posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 4:44 AM

HAAAAAAAaaaa Well Ken...maybe the bong water paintings just need a little blacklight and the right music to view them!! The smell goes away with time!! lol!! Man...I am looking forward to seeing you and the rest at Oasis soon.... Oh..and the Tiki Mag thing at the Tonga on the second if you are there!

Pages: 1 25 replies