Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Curse of the Tiki Doll

Pages: 1 4 replies

I

The worlds of tiki, moral dilemmas, and coffee merge in the following article .....

*Every day at Java Jack's, a mini-morality lesson plays itself out for all to see and be seen. On the front counter of the South Minneapolis coffee shop sits a dime-store tiki doll that, when its button gets pushed, pounds its drums and plays a hypnotic voodoo solo that, frankly, gets pretty damn annoying if left to finish.

Which is why Julie Rathman, a full-time visual artist and part-time barista who at one time housed the little demon in her apartment, put a sign on the devil doll a few months ago:

DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON!*

full article continued here
http://www.minnpost.com/jimwalsh/2008/05/12/1811/curse_of_the_tiki_doll

Alas, I would be forced to push the button. As the youngest of seven siblings, button pushing is something I can not resist.

Similar story: there is a pub/bar here in NZ that has a statue of Michealangelo's 'David' in the ladies loo (or so Ive heard). As it is a classy establishment the statue in question has an adequately-sized fig-leaf keeping our man respectable, but..

..the eagle-eyed punter might just happen to spot a small 'hinge' at the top of the fig-leaf if she happens to be absent-mindedly gazing around..

'hmmmm, whats this?; a chance for a sneeky-peek at some quality 'culture' perhaps?? Should I? Shouldnt I..? :o

..and once the crime is committed the voyeuristic-vahine is faced with a little poem that reads something to the effect of: "Congratulations, you have just rung a bell in the bar, and everyone knows what a (whatever) you are.."

And must then open the door to raucous laughter and take the walk of shame abck to their seat.. :blush: :lol:

Classic! T :)

LOL brilliant. I thought it was going to be a camera under the leaf!

On 2008-05-16 18:14, Tamapoutini wrote:
Similar story: there is a pub/bar here in NZ that has a statue of Michealangelo's 'David' in the ladies loo (or so Ive heard). As it is a classy establishment the statue in question has an adequately-sized fig-leaf keeping our man respectable, but..

..the eagle-eyed punter might just happen to spot a small 'hinge' at the top of the fig-leaf if she happens to be absent-mindedly gazing around..

'hmmmm, whats this?; a chance for a sneeky-peek at some quality 'culture' perhaps?? Should I? Shouldnt I..? :o

..and once the crime is committed the voyeuristic-vahine is faced with a little poem that reads something to the effect of: "Congratulations, you have just rung a bell in the bar, and everyone knows what a (whatever) you are.."

And must then open the door to raucous laughter and take the walk of shame abck to their seat.. :blush: :lol:

Classic! T :)

I might not have pushed the button until the sign that said 'do not push' went up. But then again, when I see stuff like that in stores, I tend to push them all at the same time. My wife gets mad at me when I do it, but I can't stop.

There is a bar here that has a drawing of Superman in the ladies bathroom. It has a little door over the anatomically correct crotch. A loud bell rings at the bar when the door is opened.

Pages: 1 4 replies