Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

fresh start . . . update - 8/25

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

B

Nice stuff Perry, Did you ever finish this guy yet? That Cocobolo IS surely Nice wood!

P

thanks, ben. i did get that hook done and one more:

little donut is done with as far as the stone.

P

well, lashing is done.

nice!

P

thanks, tama. in my mind i saw it as being an abstract, fishing float pendant. i'll try and post a shot tomorrow with sun backlighting.

awesome - I like it

excellent work!

KS

B

That lashing sorta Sneeks up un you, Sweet job

B

:o

Excellent.

Benjamin.

P

thanks, shaman, ben and ben.

the lashing is one long continuous piece. it was a little tough. i had to braid the middle, lash it around and then braid the ends together for a bit, then split them and braid them into individual cords. i tied a few loops aroung the splits to help hold it together.

thanks again.

P

here's a backlit view.

Niiiiiiice! That is a cool idea.

P

thanks, surfin.

here's something i worked on today. kind of an experiment. it's a hei rakai, a maori reel. i'm sure our kiwi friends know more about them than i do at this point. i thought it would be neat to carve.

P

i also made these. i was going to put paua in the eyes, like the original, but i think they'll look kind of kitschy with rhinestones instead. what do you people think?

definately red rhinestones...or dark green.....

On 2008-08-11 19:09, pdrake wrote:
thanks, surfin.

here's something i worked on today. kind of an experiment. it's a hei rakai, a maori reel. i'm sure our kiwi friends know more about them than i do at this point. i thought it would be neat to carve.

woho - thats one heck of a lot of drilling - how did you do it? (pis?)

KS

P

gotta keep going i guess. maybe one day i'll make a piece that someone will pay money for. :)

B

Love the Moai Pdrake, He's gonna turn out reat I can see it!

P

thanks, ben. i took the panties off and worked for awhile tonight. i think it just might turn out okay. at least i'm learning alot.

B

Well I Think he looks Great, I Love the bold details and features. Glad you were able to get some work done :P

On 2008-08-25 22:06, pdrake wrote:
thanks, ben. i took the panties off and worked for awhile tonight. i think it just might turn out okay. at least i'm learning alot.

PD - that is all that really matters.

Looking good. It is always scary to work around those cracks! You are doing a fine job there. Keep it up!

KS

On 2008-08-25 22:06, pdrake wrote:
i took the panties off and worked for awhile tonight. i think it just might turn out okay. at least i'm learning alot.

They werent knitted panties were they? :lol:

Looking good Perry. *Do you realise that you have your own Moai style? Very cool & unmistakeably pdrake!

ps: Those meres look wicked polished up too. Im sure youre on to a winner with casting in metals.

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies