Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Hoo Doo the Oasis VooDoo? 18oz. of Luv potion #9? or XXX - Last Two of 100 pg.5

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

CA

SO....... What the F? two year wait to get this idea out of my Skull???.....

Back story.... while prepping my retro-show in Oct 13th of '06, I was given something very cool that inspired the idea for the best mug ever!! I was so excited to get working on it after the show was over.... THAT WAS TILL.. that slimy, cerebral Squidily débuts his fantastic Squll Mug!! Oct 19th!!

WTF?? He says he had drawings at the Tiki Terrors Show. I know I saw the stacked skull drawing,... THE BEST!... but the Carved Squll? what a bitch-en mug! very cool!!! anyway, why would I try to 'follow' that up-stage with my own skull mug? THEN!? the devilish Diablo comes out with the 'Dia de lo Marquesas' mug!!?

could be the perfect 'tiki' mug...EVER!... shoot.... super cool and another damper cooling my jets on my own mug... crap it all to hell Diablo..... may your kiln fires burn more then your fantastic mugs.....

Well, Time heals, and the gods speak... My fire was lit again by Otto's VooDoo Oasis!! Weeeeeeee! Haaaaaa!! Who Do The VooDoo? This is the very cool item that inspired my supposed original idea I had... and so close to the Squid concept... Great Minds???

SO! The coolest Skull me ever seen! had to be made!! an Ape Skull at that!!...with TIKIS ON IT!

well since this came from Indonesia the faces are Dragons I think! even better!

female or adolescent Orangutan Skull?

Now, this was given to me, and I do not advocate killings God's great beasts for trophies... Especially endangered ones.... However... Exotica was the birthplace of 'Tiki' and 'Exotic' cranial trophies are the Golden Ring of the exotic merry-go-round.... and this is a beaut'...
SO... rather then trying to casting and f'n this very cool original item up with clay and rubber... A SCULPTING I DID A GO.....

then the rubber

then the wax

I wanted to stay as close to the original as i could, but i had to exne the cool large tiki like faces to do the skull cap.

the VooDoo thang worked great for this Martigrass mask looking motif

and the parting lines allowed for an extra face anyway

it only took like 15 years to come up with a product that fit Bone Productions....

SO? Hoo Doo the Voo Doo?

I just got this off to the mold maker... so some serious Witchcraft will have to be done to get any of these by Oasis... so start chanting your spells.

With a 6 piece mold!? I have some chanting to do myself to get the bank to make this primate a premium item...... I'm not sure how large the edition will be. I may have very few production molds if any. I'm not sure of the price other then Oasis will be the Debut price.
------------------ update ---------------
hmm Debut Price? this turned out to be a seven piece mold with spacial air release for eye sockets (that I just had to have so deep)....I wish i had a first born, cause I could have gotten rid of him to pay for the molds instead of selling my own soul... I'm not sure if this is the final glaze but this is what i got so far...
we'll see if I can get the price right.

[ Edited by: crazy al 2008-10-06 11:14 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2008-10-29 11:02 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al 2009-05-31 18:08 ]

F
Fugu posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 10:52 AM

The skull looks amazing. You did an incredible job on the sculpt- absolutely spot on. What a fantastic design!

J

:o oh ... my ...

That's amazing! This just made me even more excited that I'm finally going to Oasis this year! Can't wait to get my hands around that cranium! Great job, Al!

C

:o :o

Oh WOW!!!!!!

That is a piece of great art, for sure!

Crossing my fingers to see this one at Oasis.....

super cool stuff! keep it up! Quick turn around? - Never heard of such a thing!

S

The skull mug bar, she's been raised...

V

Must... . . Have... . . . This... . . . Mug!
Amazing work - thank you so much for posting the work-in-progress shots. Love the sculpt!

Henrik

C'Al is a Freak of Nature!!!!!!!!

R

nice job Al.keep up the good work.

S
squid posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 12:40 PM

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please accept this letter as my notice of resignation...blah...blah...blah....

[ Edited by: squid 2008-06-06 12:42 ]

You are pushing the envelope again!!! I am digging on the things to cum!! Now when is Ape going to make another record?

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 2:16 PM

Wow...! First the tiki tower mug, and now... this! The skull to end all skulls! Those lion/dragon designs look a bit like the Munktiki Singa mug - maybe the same mythical beast?
Thanks for taking the time to illustrate your process - I like seeing these working shots as much as the finished item.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 2:19 PM

could work :)

Munktiki

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2008-06-06 14:42 ]

S
squid posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 4:35 PM

Home run my friend, as I've said before, you are the master of detail, bar none!

N
NOTCH posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 1:52 AM

DAAAAAAANG!!! Game Over........

Pretty damn nice, Al. Will we be able to afford such an artful trophy? This mana bowl seems like it should be the perfect vessel for the "Monkey Gland" cocktail unearthed by Dr. Cocktail:

http://www.cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=4460

...or perhaps the "Tailless Monkey", if the recipe has been found since:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7557&forum=1&39

...or, to get even more esoteric and go back to the theory of devolution (caused by the eating of monkey brains), invent the "Devolution Cocktail" for it!

JV
Joe V. posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 6:25 AM

Niiice!!! Always on another level Al. See you in a few days.......

CA

Big Bro? thanks for the ideas... i do need a cocktail for this guy... huuuum. there is that 'Faces of Death' whole angle?? not sure if that is the way to go... all's fair in this Fantasy/escapism wacky world we traverse as your link to the off-color, non-PC past confirms.

thanks for all the great comments from all the other mother that raise the bar daily on this tiki stuff!!

On 2008-06-06 14:13, The Sperm Whale wrote:
You are pushing the envelope again!!! I am digging on the things to cum!! Now when is Ape going to make another record?

You have not answered my question. What am I invisable or sumthin?

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 3:05 PM

I guess that's why they call him the Sperm Whale :P

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 6:56 AM

I constantly think and rethink about things I've seen on TC. This is the reason why I like the Ape skull. Would go great with a headhunter's curiosity cabinet.

the headhunter's curiosity cabinet by crazy al

collection ofKingstiedye pg.8

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2008-06-08 06:58 ]

DAY-UM AL!
That Ape skull is Crazy Good!
just when it gets quiet around here
you pull out the goods
and tease us all with this soon-to-be-born Classic Drinking vessel!
my mind is blown......
:)

K

i'm stoked! can't wait to get my filthy paws on one of these! at least, i can HOPE i can get one of these!

All hail the creative high priest of TIKI!
AWESOME work Al!

N F Ape does another CD I wanna crack at doing the cover art.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-06-08 22:27 ]

T

That's really an incredible piece, nice work!! Oh how I would love to sip my milk out of one of these at the dinner table just to see the looks on the faces of my wife and kids :D

CA

APE music someday... but not today....

thanks for the all the good words!!

I'm ape for the ape!!!

B

Sweet boiling brain matter!

What a kick ass sculpt!...nicely done Master "Crazy Man" Al.

:x I had been planing on doing a whole set of monkey and ape skull mugs for over a year!
Thats what I f'n get for procrastinating.
Very cool.
:(

T

There is always croc. skulls. Saw one over the weekend, very cool, not much holding space though.

so what color is the mug going to be?
same as the real skull I would hope.
and dare I ask how much it will be?
killer stuff man,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

MR

SOOO?
Update?
That is an amazing piece of art. Can't wait to see one in person.
Cheers.

A--------------------MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

K

so is there any way us chumps who WON'T be attending can get our paws on one of these? bats eyelashes

Woah- I think I'm in love...

Gonna have to leave my current skull for one of yours!

I'm sure he will understand...

Marina

Awwww....! :) Monkey hug!

Al, I am still pushing for the "Monkey Gland" as the cocktail of choice for this "mug". Dr. Cocktail made one for me, and it is an excellent, excellent tasting potion, the only one where a dash of Absinthe does not bother me. Its history is funny, too, it was concocted in the 20s, during a medical fad that purported that monkey glands had aphrodisiac powers.

B

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn....that is TIGHT!

but can i get one with a cig-lighter in a working jaw???

CA

yes... maybe a bottle opener in the teeth??

thanks for the comments... I'm still working out the details and hoping a have a bunch made in a month!!

Holy cow!!! That glaze makes it look like the real deal, excellent choice!

Holy monkey-crap Batman! . . er, Crazy Al! At first I was thinking, wow what I great mug idea . . I wish I could afford one. Now I'm thinking, how could I afford NOT to have one? That mug is OFF THE HOOK!!!

B

MAN oh Man C'Al, How can I et one of these? Your stuff just blows me away I can't believe how you just nonchalantly , Do it, like it's todays breakfast dishes, Wash'um up and dry'em out and Put'um away. Well DAYYYUMM!

the sculpt and wax were AMAZING
but now you've gone and Glazed it!
Freakin Mug of the Year!
Off the Charts!
you humble us all with your creations...

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2008 8:03 PM

On 2008-07-23 14:40, little lost tiki wrote:
the sculpt and wax were AMAZING
but now you've gone and Glazed it!
Freakin Mug of the Year!
Off the Charts!
you humble us all with your creations...

Well that pretty much says it all!

WOW AL!

CA

I've just seen the first production glaze and it was damn close to what I did! I'm told I should have 50 for Oasis... not sure of the price of this glaze or edition size... but with a seven piece mold! with spacial air release widgets to get those beautiful deep eyes to pull out and not break... and.. a 9-10 step glaze job... this first Oasis run might get me back into the black... black magic that is......?

Nice job Bro!!

CA

so if the magic worked..? then i should pick up 50 of these guys Friday the 8th!! that would be strong magic....

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 4:19 PM

Can't wait to hear the price. Either way

Pages: 1 2 70 replies