Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Lava rock

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

I'm building a BBQ pit in my backyard and would like to have lava rock in it. I tried my local Home Depot but with no luck. Any suggestions on where to buy lava rock at in Orange County, CA.?

I know I have seen this info somewhere on the board but can't find it. Anyway...Googled this...hope it helps...see "Natural Stone" on their Home page. Hard item to find.

http://www.southcoastsupplyinc.com/

Cougar stone on the corner of Rose and Imperial in Yorba Linda.
http://www.cougarstone.com/
I have seen baskets of it there, (basket of lava rock is about 800lbs and the going rate is about $.30 a pound in less than ton amounts)
I'd call just in case, if they are out I'm sure they can get it within a day or so.

While we are on the subject of lava rock... can anyone ID this picture? I want to build a fountain like it and would like to see more pictures but I cannot remember where I saw this picture. Thanks

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2008-06-11 23:03 ]

Bananabobs, that looks like one of the waterfalls that used to be at the Hanalei (now the Crown Plaza) in San Diego.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-06-12 08:43 ]

Great, thank you everyone.

LT

What would you use to hold the rock together?

Thanks Haole'akamai That is it exactly. I very much appreciate that, I was able to sell the fountain using that back up. Now before you get any ideas of commission in your mind, I knew that there was no way I could build it and make money, I am doing it on the side and I priced it to build two, one for her and one for me. Thanks again.
Lol Tiki, that's a great question, I am planning to use fortified mortar, with black coloring. The tough part is, she wants it to be made in a way that she can take it with her if she moves...still working on that.

LT

Thanks! A follow-up question then - what is fortified mortar? This thread is timely for me. I've been trying to track down (with no luck so far) lava rock in the San Diego area. I want to build some planters and possibly a water feature in my backyard.

A

I just bought 800 pounds of red lava at RCP Block and Brick in Lemon Grove. They have every thing from fist sized to 18-24" stuff. They didn't have very much of the black but lots of the red stuff.

LT

Thanks! I hadn't looked at RCP, I didn't think they carried it.

On 2008-06-18 16:21, LOL Tiki wrote:
Thanks! A follow-up question then - what is fortified mortar?

I use a bagged product called "Spec Mix" Home Depot carries it up this way, most brick/rock yards carry it too.

LT

On 2008-06-21 11:59, bananabobs wrote:
I use a bagged product called "Spec Mix" Home Depot carries it up this way, most brick/rock yards carry it too.

Great - thanks!

Pages: 1 11 replies