Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What would it take?

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

Tipsy, I agree with some of what you are saying. I don't think that just because we all share an intrest in tiki that we should all kiss each other's asses. But what is the point of posting a topic when you get responses like this:

On 2008-06-12 12:14, dogbytes wrote:
funny, we were discussing this very same decline on Amish Central! there's a bleak picture towards the future of "Amish" That picture shows that eventually "Amish" as we know it, will only live on in the basements and backyards of us "BonnetHeads."

At current I would say, that picture is slowing becoming true with the almost constant loss of such classic Amishi icons like the Horse and Buggy Room in Intercourse, PA. There also seems to be a sense of impending doom, that I think is growing in that whenever someone recommends a Amishbar or restaurant they do so with an attitude of; "get there while it lasts!"

1. Is it possible to bring back the buttonless clothing? damn those who endorse eye and hooks and zippers.
  2. What would it take to bring SHUNNING back?
  3. How many bearded men (and women) would be enough? 25%, 50%, 75%?

honest to fucking god, use the search feature, you've been here a whopping 4 months, and obviously didnt bother reading the big yellow warning:

**Tiki Central has over 11,000 topics!

Before posting, please use our Search page.

Your post probably fits best in an existing topic instead of a new one. You can click here to post a new topic If you're confident your topic has not already been discussed.**

This is obviously someone who responded to just be hateful. Someone who is obviously just a member of this forum to have fun pouncing on new members (and from what I hear from other new memebers this type of response is quite common). So, I'm not dropping out just because I felt offended. I'll probably still lurk around but, what is the point in posting serious topics and asking questions when you get treated like this?

BTW: For what is worth I've asked twice to have this thread locked or deleted.

On 2008-06-14 12:33, tikijoeusaf wrote:
Tipsy, I agree with some of what you are saying. I don't think that just because we all share an intrest in tiki that we should all kiss each other's asses. But what is the point of posting a topic when you get responses like this:

funny, we were discussing this very same decline on Amish Central! there's a bleak picture towards the future of "Amish" That picture shows that eventually "Amish" as we know it, will only live on in the basements and backyards of us "BonnetHeads."

At current I would say, that picture is slowing becoming true with the almost constant loss of such classic Amishi icons like the Horse and Buggy Room in Intercourse, PA. There also seems to be a sense of impending doom, that I think is growing in that whenever someone recommends a Amishbar or restaurant they do so with an attitude of; "get there while it lasts!"

1. Is it possible to bring back the buttonless clothing? damn those who endorse eye and hooks and zippers.

honest to fucking god, use the search feature, you've been here a whopping 4 months, and obviously didnt bother reading the big yellow warning:

**Tiki Central has over 11,000 topics!

Before posting, please use our Search page.

Your post probably fits best in an existing topic instead of a new one. You can click here to post a new topic If you're confident your topic has not already been discussed.**

This is obviously someone who responded to just be hateful. Someone who is obviously just a member of this forum to have fun pouncing on new members (and from what I hear from other new memebers this type of response is quite common). So, I'm not dropping out just because I felt offended. I'll probably still lurk around but, what is the point in posting serious topics and asking questions when you get treated like this?

BTW: For what is worth I've asked twice to have this thread locked or deleted.

you're probably right....there are a few folks...we won't mention tikilala....whose sole purpose here is to stir the shit.....so...we just try to ignore him/her.....

it just how it goes.... there will always be those types of folks no matter where you go.....i suggest you opt for getting a thicker skin and not worry about it...after all, i was just called the biggest asshole on tiki central and based on that i should be crying bloody murder and making all sorts of dramatic protest about how unfair they are and how mean i'm being treated.....lock the thread!! lock the thread!!! oooh my poor ears!!!

but the problem here is that they are right....I am the biggest asshole on tiki central!!!!!....now what's a poor boy like me gonna do???

"when the shit eventually hits the fan.......we all get a little on us!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-14 12:41 ]

you're probably right....there are a few folks...we won't mention tikilala....whose sole purpose here is to stir the shit.....so...we just try to ignore him/her.....

it just how it goes.... there will always be those types of folks no matter where you go.....i suggest you opt for getting a thicker skin and not worry about it...after all, i was just called the biggest asshole on tiki central and based on that i should be crying bloody murder and making all sorts of dramatic protest about how unfair they are and how mean i'm being treated.....lock the thread!! lock the thread!!! oooh my poor ears!!!

but the problem here is that they are right....I am the biggest asshole on tiki central!!!!!....now what's a poor boy like me gonna do???

"when the shit eventually hits the fan.......we all get a little on us!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-14 12:41 ]

Oh I have a thick skin. I guess I was just expected too much maturity from this group. :roll:

Hey, I just looked at your website. For an asshole, you sure are a talented one! :D

T

On 2008-06-14 09:22, mymotiki wrote:
I never said one racist word not one. you are free to interpret the link that ravenne listed any way you please. She put that into your heads not me. I did not list any link. Tiki pug don't send me email. You sent me a nasty response you get one in return.

So schmuck, explain the Miss Swan comment. If we're all mistaken in what you meant, enlighten us.

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 21:43 ]

B

I have started to realize that this website is a version of S&M - those who like to be beat up and those who like to do the beating (I believe I must qualify for the former). In the short time I've been coming here, I've noticed a complete breakdown of civility. I thought, oh, maybe it's just a couple of old farts who have staked a claim to this site and want to make it like an exclusive neighborhood (you know, must have the monotone house paint, the fence can only be so tall and made a certain way, you have to ask permission to update your home so EVERYone in the neighborhood will know your business, etc). But then I realized that if you're in here long enough, like an infection, you get the "nasty bug" and start treating others with disrespect - I'm no different. On two ocassions I "perceived" that another member had slighted me and in reality I was acting defensively because I assumed it was yet another nasty member and wanted to defend myself. Now I see it's just bad manners all the way around. Those of you who feel the need to beat up on the "little guy" have turned a group of normal, civil people into a bunch of jumpy, paranoid jerks - I guess the more the merrier.

I really was hoping to find a like-minded community when I PAID MONEY to join this exclusive group and now I wish I hadn't wasted my money on a lame membership when I could have been puting it towards the purchase of something nice from fellow TCers - which I have done a lot of and will continue to do. I suppose that my trip to Oasis and the local Tiki Home Bar Tour will be greatly effected by my comments here. I, no doubt, will be shunned by those who disagree with these statements, but you know what, I want to go to San Diego and the Home Bar Tour, I want to have fun and enjoy the crazy element that is Tiki, therefore I will not allow a few peoples' rotten attitudes towards others ruin my good times.

R

On 2008-06-14 13:44, mymotiki wrote:
Ok Pug, I will enlighten you, Now who is the racist in this quote? Isn't this called religious racism??Hmmmmm

Okay sweetheart, let me get this straight.

You post in this thread to defend the newcomers. Good for you. You're not at fault there.

But then instead of posting a second time with something relevant you instead resort to a racist comment to combat "religious racism"? WHAT? "Amish" isn't a religion, it's a way of life...

Who's the mature one in this conversation?

And for that matter, how old are you?

Were you taught nothing as a child?

And notice that you STILL do not explain what you meant by "Miss Swan" and instead of acting like a big girl...you just turn and twist words around to blame others.

Yeah...REAL mature... :roll:

T

OK Pug, I will enlighten you, Now who is the racist in this quote? Isn't this called religious racism??Hmmmmm

Still waiting for my enlightenment.....

And I'm quite sure there on no Amish people on TC, that whole electricity is evil thing would hamper their ability to use a computer

Hey, I just looked at your website. For an asshole, you sure are a talented one! :D

thanks!!...and welcome aboard!!....you passed the trail by fire portion of this forum.....time to party now....

stick around ..this place isn't as bad as some folks make it out to be....it is very entertaining as well as educational in terms of tiki history and finding new artists that make cool stuff!!

A

Tipsy, I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I'm not advocating wholesale ass kissing, just simple respect.

You were new here once too. And you may have made some mistakes along the way.

I never said I was going anywhere. Nor did I say I was offended. What I said was that the lack of respect here is disturbing.

As for not "chiming in" sooner- 60 hour work weeks don't give me alot of time to sit at the computer. And I like to learn before I jump into stuff. Most of the questions I have had have been covered in past forums anyway.

On 2008-06-12 11:22, tikijoeusaf wrote:
What would it take?

.......to get a moderator

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jun 14, 2008 4:48 PM

I think they're all at the Hukilau. Food fight!

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 22:34 ]

thanks!!...and welcome aboard!!....you passed the trail by fire portion of this forum.....time to party now....

stick around ..this place isn't as bad as some folks make it out to be....it is very entertaining as well as educational in terms of tiki history and finding new artists that make cool stuff!!

I'm having a Mai Tai right now to calm down a bit! Here have one on me! :drink:

As a matter of fact Mai Tai's for everyone! :drink: :drink: :drink:

J

Yay! I love a good mai tai! I hope they're the Trader's traditional recipe, though!

R

On 2008-06-14 17:37, mymotiki wrote:
No matter what I say now, It won't change the fact that most of you have made up your mind that I am a racist. Fine, believe what you wish. It never had to do with race, but attitude and picture similarities. No, I am not doing damage control because I don't care what any of you think. There were assumptions made and they are the ones that got the race thing going. I said but 4 words. First I would ask that you go to two places
1st - go to http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26776&forum=12&51 page 4
look at this picture
2nd - go to http://groups.myspace.com/bunnyswan
look at the picture and then read the reason for the character of bunny swan.
Then I will say that besides (the expression and child like clothing)there is the obvious attitudinal similarities(pushy,overbearing,always thinks she's right, disregard for other's feelings and opinions.This is what my Miss Swan comment is based on-not your assumptions that is was racially motivated. By the way miss swan is not asian. So there you have it.
And just for your extra enjoyment Amish People are Anababtists. Religion 1st Lifestyle 2nd please feel free to go to wikepedia and search Amish It is a living by the bible religion. Then make up your minds.

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 17:44 ]

The argument here was you claimed it was a "religious racism"

Pssssssssst.....Religion is not a race sweets. So it isn't racism.

Secondly, you are using Wikipedia to win an argument?
Sigh...just another example of the decline of humanity...

Third, making a Miss Swan reference. You're still making fun of someone, so you admit your only contribution to this thread is just to derail it and be a troll. I'd also like to note Miss Swan's ethnicity is never known in the series, aside from their random jokes and speculation. It's still obvious it was a mock of asians, and the fact you would even have the audacity to reference a pic of DB to Miss Swan just shows how classless you are.

:) Fab job mymotiki, keep on trollin :)

T

On 2008-06-14 17:37, mymotiki wrote:
No matter what I say now, It won't change the fact that most of you have made up your mind that I am a racist. Fine, believe what you wish. It never had to do with race, but attitude and picture similarities. No, I am not doing damage control because I don't care what any of you think. There were assumptions made and they are the ones that got the race thing going. I said but 4 words. First I would ask that you go to two places
1st - go to http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26776&forum=12&51 page 4
look at this picture
2nd - go to http://groups.myspace.com/bunnyswan
look at the picture and then read the reason for the character of bunny swan.
Then I will say that besides (the expression and child like clothing)there is the obvious attitudinal similarities(pushy,overbearing,always thinks she's right, disregard for other's feelings and opinions.This is what my Miss Swan comment is based on-not your assumptions that is was racially motivated. By the way miss swan is not asian. So there you have it.
And just for your extra enjoyment Amish People are Anababtists. Religion 1st Lifestyle 2nd please feel free to go to wikepedia and search Amish It is a living by the bible religion. Then make up your minds.

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 17:44 ]

I had promised myself I wouldn't post here any more, so please realize that I'm writing this with an empty hollow feeling of FAIL, and I'm only writing this because you have delivered quite the insult to a very very good friend of mine.

You can backpeddle all you want mymo, but the intention of your post was absolutely clear. You even cite "the expression and childlike clothing" as a reason for your reference. What expression? Facial? Eyes? Skin tone? If the character of miss swan, and your use of that character were not racially motivated, why were so many Asian-American organizations offended enough to raise enough of a stink to get the producers of MadTV to pull the character? Your backpeddling on this issue only goes to make you seem as if you think we're all stupid enough to believe your swill. It appears to me that Borstein did the same type of backpeddling that you're doing right now to avoid looking like a racist. Save yourself the time, or better yet, make an "i'm not a racist" myspace page too. It isn't okay to go around calling African American kids "Buckwheat" or something similar, so why on earth is it okay to go around calling Chinese-American women "Miss Swan?"

I've known dogbytes for a couple of years, and we've managed to become very good friends during that time. I, as well as anyone that's ever experienced her hospitality, will gladly vouch that all of the character attributes you labeled her with are incorrect. I've never seen her be pushy, overbearing, always think she's right, or completely disregard other people's feelings. What are you upset about? Not getting invited to events? Not being well liked when you have attended events? Unfriendly replies to posts you've made on Tiki Central? There's no need to reply to these questions here, because we already know your disposition towards dogbytes, and that you think it's okay to hit below the belt when you're online.

As an aside, to your "amish" information. Yes. The Amish have a firm set of beliefs. But, there were no racial comments made about the Amish in this thread. If she was making 'racist' comments about the Amish, she would have been making the same comments about anyone who might be caucasian...and I for one wasn't offended. Religion is not race, and there is no such thing as religious racism. Also, your use of Wikipedia = EPIC FAIL. Wikipedia is great, as a source of unverified information.

Wow...that's a lot of words for you to twist around to try and make yourself appear the victim here.

Someone go ahead and ban me and put the little line through my name for 'being mean'...but no one's going to make slurs like this about one of my friends without me replying.

On 2008-06-14 17:56, JenTiki wrote:
Yay! I love a good mai tai! I hope they're the Trader's traditional recipe, though!

Sure are! Wouldn't make them any other way!

A

So do I qualify?

To make the point a little clearer to those of you playing along at home here are the images mymotiki referenced above and mymotiki's comments on perceived similarities between dogbytes and Miss Swan:

"I will say that besides (the expression and child like clothing) there is the obvious attitudinal similarities (pushy,overbearing,always thinks she's right, disregard for other's feelings and opinions...phony,backstabbing,viscous and snobby and then acts totally innocent when she gets called on it." -mymotiki-

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 22:55 ]

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 22:37 ]

R

And there you have it folks.

mymotiki, out of guilt, edited all her posts in hopes to save face.

Too bad we all know a good reason to use the 'quote' feature.

SIGH.

Oh those visuals sure clears the guilt for mymotiki.

Dogbytes is asian...Miss Swan looks a bit like dogbytes...yeah there's definitely no skin deep correlation there.

On 2008-06-14 22:36, mymotiki wrote:
thanks for making the job easier for me woofmut. The two pictures together look great. But you left out the part about her getting a dose of her own medicine.

Sad day for humanity indeed.

EDIT: :)

"It's like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

[ Edited by: ravenne 2008-06-14 23:01 ]

Perhaps we should all take a quiet moment to contemplate the gentle beauty, the quiet joy...The sheer majesty of a monkey patting a kitten on the head!!!

Yes, I do like the quote feature myself. You already have my most memorable quotes to ponder forever.

What I will ponder forever is the fathomless delight, the unmatchable sweetness, the uninhibited wonder of A MONKEY PATTING A KITTEN ON THE HEAD!!!

M

Sorry that I didn't get to this sooner. How depressing. LOCKED

Pages: 1 2 74 replies