Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disney Tiki Drummer (Conversion for Outdoors)

Pages: 1 12 replies

TR

Aloha Tiki fans & friends..! Was wondering whether if anybody has thought about converting a Disney Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer for outdoor use? The Drummer would look awesome next to my backyard waterfall area, in my tropical landscape (photo attached). Though the resin figure would likely hold up, the (wood?) base & felt bottom would not.

Might anybody have the know-how how to seal the entire base from moisture damage? It appears that the Drummer figure is glued on the black base platform and not anchored with screws, etc., so the probability of removing the figure from its base is remote. My only thoughts at this point are rather 'amateur' with using a heavier type plastic film to wrap the base. Obviously, this idea has its flaws. Perhaps there is a moisture-proofing product that I could dip just the base into? Any thoughts from you "Tiki Whiz-innovators" would certainly be appreciated!

I know that this Tiki Drummer is the "Darling" of collectors. I don't want to deface the integrity of this piece if at all possible. At the same time, I have no interest in re-selling it because of its 'collectability' (i.e. keeping it in 'flawless' condition) in the future. I just would like to find a realistic solution if at all possible so it could be fantastically displayed outdoors.

Many "mahalo's" to anyone in this group who may advise in ways of thinking "outside the (tiki) box"!

Aloha and warm regards from (foggy) San Francisco!

-Tiki Rob

Not an expert on wood-sealing, myself.

But I love your outdoor display, it is really awesome!

On 2008-06-15 21:58, procinema29 wrote:
Not an expert on wood-sealing, myself.

But I love your outdoor display, it is really awesome!

I agree!!! Absolutely beautiful landscaping....and I like your idea for the drummer.

A

I agree- simply breathtaking.

I would assume a patio deck sealer would work. And it can be applied with a brush.

these are the facts,and they undisputed. if it was not DESIGNED,and MADE to be outdoors,it should not be outdoors. there is nothing you can do to change that.
you can delay it a bit,but water ALWAYS find a way and it will deteriorate.these are the facts and the are undisputed.

J

I too am no expert, but you might be able to apply waterproofing polyurethane / marine shellac (sp?) to protect it from the elements. You might want to ask some of the tiki carvers. One of my tikis which I display outdoors is encased in a shiny layer of some sort of water protection and it has certainly protected the tiki. Before you do that, you would certainly want to remove the lighting fixture from the unit and replace it with one that it is rated for outdoor use. I wouldn't think that should be too terribly difficult. By the way, your landscaping is very nice.

T

"Man o War" spar var polyurethane . Go with a satin finish and put several coats on .Also put it on a stepping stone from home depot .Dont put it directly on the ground or it will soak up moisture like a sponge . You can get one that looks like a rounded flat stone for about 2 dollars . Keep the damn sprinklers from hitting it and MAINTAIN it . My customers complain that after 4 years in the sun and the rain that it doesnt look the same ....DUH !!!Coat it every spring with a few extra coats to protect it .Remember that Mother Nature always wins but you can keep it looking nice if you are willing .

Just put it under a little palapa.

Chris

Another idea...how about diplaying in a sealed plexiglass case (might be a dorky idea) but I agree that the outside will eventually ruin this marvelous item. If you still have problems deciding what to do with it please PM me and I will give you my address so you can send it to me for diplay in my lounge. :lol:

H

:o

A less romantic option would be to install the tiki in that spot every time go go outside or have company...

now, I have never handled one of these drummers, but I would assume they are made of some type of plastic. Sun + plastic = destruction into smaller pieces of plastic (not to mention the color wash out first). It does look very cool where you want to put it, but I wouldn't put it there perminantly (I like mr smiley's idea best). this is an indoor display piece. I suppose you could coat it in spar varnish (marine grade), but why?

I think ANY tiki would look great in that spot. Why not buy a different tiki and paint it similiar to the drummer or commission someone to do a copy of the tiki drummer?

Great backyard, by the way. Looks very relaxing and it is calling out for a tiki.

just my $.02

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2008-06-18 15:22 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies