Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

TikiMango's Art- P6 New Art: Tiki Flyer

Pages: 1 2 88 replies

Aloha displaced Islanders!

I haven't done anything creative in almost 25yrs, life can really drain a guy. I just started to paint with acrylics last year (Feb'07), and figured I should try focusing on my first love, all things Tiki. I've had the urge burning in me for a long time, I was just not in a position to listen to the Tiki Gods. I guess you can take the boy off the island but can't take the island out of the boy. Below are some of my tiki related artwork this year. There are tons of great artist here, hoping to reach your level one of these days.

16x20

16x20

12x12 Pupule means crazy in Hawaiian.

12x12

12x12

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2011-01-17 20:27 ]

Very nice indeed...and welcome to TC :)

T

all good but that second one is killer. Great colors and ideas.

Nice work Mango for sure.
I sold a 6 ft. tiki down Sylmar way about mmmmmaybe 8 years ago. It was a Leroy Schmaltz design.
Keep on paintin'!

Thanks guys, now if I could just paint a straight line (or at least a less wavy one). You should see the two brightly colored tikis under a color wheel. Wow, they "pop" for sure. The orange tiki also has some florescent paint highlights, looks nice under a black light. I'll have to try to get an image of that up.

Hey TikiMango, nice work. I like the purple background one best - but how do you pronounce Pupule?

T

On 2008-06-19 06:23, TikiMango wrote:
Thanks guys, now if I could just paint a straight line (or at least a less wavy one).

No need, there is painters tape for that. You can buy tape at art an store that is real skinny like a pinstripe on a car.

royaltiki wrote:
Hey TikiMango, nice work. I like the purple background one best - but how do you pronounce Pupule?

I'm not entirely sure, but I say it as "poo-poo-lee".

teaKEY, thanks for the tip. I've tried the blue painter's masking tape, I always get paint wicking under it around the edges. It doesn't like to stick to my canvas.... at least the junk I buy.

ST

Try 3M 233 tape. It is used for doing pin lines on surfboard. It's more resistant to bleeding and wicking.

Surf Tiki, thanks for that lead, I'll search it out.

Here is the orange tiki under a black light. The photo isn't the best, but I think it gets the point across.

OK, here's my latest one. If anyone knows the name of this tiki, please let me know. I found a photo of this wood tiki, but I'm not sure of any of the details. I've never seen one with such an intricate tongue before, let alone a real mustache. :o
I put a little red into the tongue, though the photo doesn't show this very well.

16x20 acrylic on canvas

I tried something a bit different with this one. When I was applying the gesso to canvas, I decided to lay it on really thick, then use a sponge roller to spread it. The effect presented an interesting surface to paint on for sure.

T

I decided to post a few in-process shots, seemed like the civilized thing to do.

Starting my final PolyGirl for the Trio Set. She's got a dark tan.

I decided to lighten her up a bit, and detail out the flowers.

I'm diggin' the velvet paintings, but since I don't have any on-hand I decided to try a Faux-felti Tiki painting.

Awesome paintings man. Can't wait to see the little Hula dancer done. The flowers look incredible.

To paint a straight line with tape, Put the tape down where you need the line. Paint over the edge where the tape meets the canvas, board, etc. with matte medium and let dry. You have now effectively sealed the tape so no paint bleeding under it can occur. Next paint your line and remove tape, voila' perfect line.

One caveat, you may want to lightly separate the tape edge/line edge with a blade, being careful not to gouge painting, before removal, this ensures no paint will tear away with the tape. This is only an issue with elastic paints such as latex.

Once you can handle your brush lines will be second nature, but tape is great for some really rectilinear work.

Cheers!

PS the 2nd painting is rad-bad!

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-07-11 23:56 ]

Man, I just have too many projects to do. I keep bouncing from one thing to another, and don't have time to finish anything. I was thinking about TO Voodoo Zombie Island, and that got me in the mood to knock out a couple zombie inspired inks.

Shrunken Head

Zombie Drinking a Zombie

Close-up

I've been spending most of my time trying to carve a damn piece of Douglas Fur. What a nightmare for a first carving.

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2008-07-24 06:07 ]

T

Completed my first Cook Island painting, a distraction from my other things.

12x12

Great painting!!! Acrylic?

T

Mahalo. Yes, all acrylics. I enjoy the fact that they dry fast, of course having never worked with oils I don't know if fast drying is a good thing or not. I also like that clean-up only takes water, so there's no strong chemical odors.

Beautiful, I like your style!

From my experience, I would say stick with acrylics. Cant wait to see more of your work!!!

T

I haven't been too active lately, work seems to be sapping my energy. After seeing Schmaltz' Marquesan Canoe carving at the "In Search of Tiki" museum show at Forest Lawn I was inspired to paint a canoe full o' rowers. Acrylics, 16x20. Sorry for the bad lighting, the colors are more bright than shown and really pop under a color wheel.

I decided to give the velvet thing a try. I wasn't sure where to buy black velvet for painting, and didn't want to mail order a huge amount in case things didn't work out. I went to Jo-Ann's fabrics and bought a yard of "royal velvet". Let me tell you, there are so many variables when it comes to velvets, I had no idea what to get. I figure I'll try painting on a yard of everything as time allows until I find something that works. This velvet is really plush, and I'm sticking with acrylics for now, as I want to retain some of my comfort zone.

Quick and dirty, just to get a feel. I am not a master of light.
Not very detailed, or large (5x7), just testing the waters.

Great works of art TM...I've always liked the velvet myself. I enjoyed lookin' all your paintings.

I like your style, the marquesan is da bombz, ditto the canoe!

PS killer frame on the B Velvet piece there.

ST

Dang Mango!
Cook Islands/Marquesan Rowers/and a VELVET!
BEAUTIMOUS!
Dang Boi! You are pumping out the jams!
Stick with acrylic-it likes you!
:)

Thanks for all the positive support! Here's my second velvet painting. I find it hard to get any details on velvet, I think it is more the suggestion of shape than actually providing details. I wasn't able to sketch on the velvet as I normally do on canvas. I tried sketching with a white colored pencil, but it didn't really help things so I just free-handed as best as I could. Maybe I should use chalk? This is a pretty ugly wahine. If nudity is not allowed, please let me know and I'll take it down.

Velvet adhesive-spayed to a piece of bristol board, final size 8x10 (you can make out the edge if looking hard enough). I think I know why most folks use oils on velvet, it was really limiting to try to blend with acrylics and try not to clot up the velvet.

I have moved images of this Moai relief plate to my new carving thread.

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2008-12-05 07:35 ]

Mang,

i didn't even notice anything amiss about the nose til u mentioned it, and still it isn't bad, alot of the Moai I see have a sorta upturned schnauz.

I think this bas relief turned out GREAT!
Nice one!

CJ

NICE!!!

This is my first time looking at your thread. And I really like your work!! It was nice to meet you at Damon's tonight. Thanks for posting!!

I hope everyone's had their share of turkey or tofurkey, whatever floats their canoe. My tryptophan-induced visions lead me to try to paint something that coupled surf culture and the tiki lifestyle. So I present the Surfer's Tapa Cross. A tapa pattern covered with sharks and dolphins, surrounded by a bamboo border.

12x12, acrylic on canvas.

Wow, that is nice, it really pops off the page...looks like gravel art.

Thanks VampiressRN! Man, I haven't thought of gravel art since I was a kid, till you just mentioned it. My parents use to have a gravel art sail boat panel that hung in my mom's sewing room. As a kid I use to pick-off individual pieces of the gravel. Can't remember what I did with 'em though. :wink:

The texture you see is done with a sea sponge dipped in soupy paint, about 3-4 layers of different colors.

It is so nice to have a 4-day weekend! I decided to try something a little more cartoony than what I normally do. This would have probably turned out better as digital artwork, but I like da brush. The Leno Tiki Surfer.

16x20 acrylic on canvas

Close-up

T

I have moved images of my 24" Ku to my new carving thread.

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2008-12-05 07:33 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2008 8:05 PM

It looks like a tiki carving to me... and pretty good for a first attempt, I think it deserves its own thread...

Very NICE!

This definitely deserves to be with the carvings.
Say what you will, but looks like you are a carver to me.
Really dig the broad grain, too.
WAY better than any of my first carves - kind of sad there aren't any pics of those beasts!
Keep it up. Hope to see more.

Tyler

Wow! Mango,

The Wooden tiki and the Surfer's cross are OUTSTANDING!

I whittled a douglas fir walking stick once and it is NOT user friendly.

I tried carving a hardwood once and it was quite frustrating.

I can't wait to see what u do with some soft wood.

Uh, that sounded bad didn't it....

Anyway great work(s)!

S
T

T

Kirby, thanks for the comments and creative pushing, and the use of your torch. Did you get your money back?

Tikisbytyler, thanks for the encouragement and good luck at the Creeks Art & Music Festival tomorrow (6th).

Sneakytiki, thanks for the positives. Douglas fur is a pain, very chippy, breaky, and splintery. Unfortunately, I'll probably carve more of it since I seem to enjoy torturing myself.

I

I love your Leno surfer...the cartoony style gives it a retro feel.

12x12 acrylic, The Cannibals.

Very cool Mango!
I like the colors and the concept
and the contrat of tight and rough brushstrokes
graphic and a little loose!
These guys would be great as an animated cartoon...
is there a sort of
"big fish eat little fish eat..."
message here!
great seeing you and your pals at the Tonga!
Keep painting and carving and creating!
Florida's lucky to get your talent..

Looks centered to me! Very cool, man.

the new piece is lookin sharp! sorry we will miss you at teh show tonight, but i will have my pendant to represent you.

I was doing a study for a painting, and got a little carried away with the pen. Based on a hybrid Auguste Rodin's The Thinker and a Darwin's Thinker. What would apes ponder if they came across a vintage bottle of Barbancourt rum and a tiki mug?

Pigment pen on paper, 4x8

Nice drawing Mang.

I can dig it, kinda' like the dogs shootin' billiards but for a tiki pad.

Here's the finished painting, I call it "The Rum Thinker". This will probably be the last painting that I will do in 2008. I can't wait to start the next year. Maybe I'll try to improve on my backgrounds for "more completed" looking paintings in the future. I've never tackled landscapes or architectural subjects.

Acrylic on 11x14 stretched canvas.

His mouth looks weird here, but normal in the actual painting.

A little detail of the Special Reserve Rum bottle.

Thanks to everyone that has offered criticism and encouragement on this thread. It keeps me going.

CJ

Keep it up man! One of these days I'll get my brains and hands working on something as well

Pages: 1 2 88 replies