Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki pics from around our place

Pages: 1 25 replies

so ive been here since 2002, and have never posted any pics prior to today (just posted a few on the aku tiki room page as well). i decided to finally give it a shot, so anyway, heres some random shots from around our place. ill add more as time permits me to:

one corner of our tiki lounge room, which is a 3 season room between our kitchen and garage. its a small space, but were trying to fill it..in this pic,print by flounder,vintage lamp,shadow box we customized a bit with some of our favorite mugs on it,and our small blow fish:

tiki mug shelf with most of our other mugs...outrigger on top was designed by crazy al, and made by smokin tiki's,a few great necklaces hanging on the side by benzart,lake tiki and purple jade:

our bar lit up...we got our bar from a friend who bought a house that had a bar they didn't want in the basement. we tore it apart, and reupholstered it. bought the mask on the front at bamboo bens shop back in 2002 i think. my wife wove together all the raffia holding all the bamboo on the front together,we re covered the seats,and added the bamboo ends,recovered the front (behind the bamboo),and added a glass top.the tiki bottle opener on left is from smokin tiki's:

in this pic, my wife made a wall box light with a cast from the warrior mug by tiki farm,the cook island carving on the wall box light(on upper left) and the Maori carving on the shelf on the right were gifts our pals cas and andrea picked up for us at oceanic arts.shield walk plaque from lake surfer,new guinea mask and velvet painting were also gifts from friends:

large tiki on left from smokin tiki's, our first shag print we got back in 2001 i think,great old school rattan chair from furniture lounge:

a shot from the bar side with mood lighting. yes ,the blue blur is our large blow fish light from O.A.( this pic is pretty dark, sorry...lol!):

another bar shot with new witco shield behind the bar (we'll prolly move it though):

my lake tiki marq, which was my wedding present from my wife purchased at the 2005 exotica event(prolly my favorite of all):

our love seat, and assorted stuff....i believe in clutter in tiki rooms, and this is where we put alot of that stuff, and alot of our cheap stuff, and gifts from people whom don't really know what "tiki" is(god bless'em for trying though...lol)"

another tiki which was a wedding present. this ones from south carolina, but the carvers name escapes me right now.and our tiki book case with our books,zines,menus,etc are:

new pole from aku tiki room on right, bamboo book rack with various stuff on it:

another one of my wifes projects(the black hanging shelf with old school stone moai,pisco decanter,hala kahiki piapple liqouer bottle,various mugs,etc...the carving hanging in the window was a gift from a friend who went to fiji. its supposed to be a fijian cannibal brain picker:

flounder,shag,doug horne prints in our living room:

shadow box with various mugs in our daughters room:

tiki tony original painting purchased at the hurricane hukilau:

the bar , agian lit up:

[ Edited by: hala bullhiki 2008-06-25 16:06 ]

T

Very nice. It looks like you have been doing some collecting!

Wow! man that is one cool tikiriffic pad.. If I had an extra room (or two) to do that...well.. Very Nice! I like all the pictures you have hangin too!
thanks for sharing..

aloha

thanks for the kind words, heres a few more:

from the DVA art show 2 years ago:

exotica 2003 poster and our wedding invitations(at the now closed kona kai in chicago):

from the DVA tiki show last year(decanter by mark pilon):

great print by scott"flounder":

painting my wife did:

collage of post cards and random tiki stuff on top of smalldresser in my daughters room:

[ Edited by: hala bullhiki 2008-06-25 12:41 ]

M

Cool, Thanks for sharing.

B

Well, I'd say it's about time too! :lol: :lol: I'm not sure but I think you have room for Lots more tiki there, maybe in your kitchen? Thanks for posting these pic's Hala, you really have some Awesome tikis and I'm sure we didn't even see half of them, did we?

plenty more to come benz, plus i need to detail and describe the pics...thanks

T

You got alot of 'STUFF'!

yep, that sums it up alot of ...."stuff"....lol

added some descriptions, so folks have an idea of whats in the pics

fun stuff - Maybe your South Carolina Tiki is from Myrtle Beach - Tiki Joes (hes no longer in business) - They are usually pine with a lot of laqcure and often a hole in the back where he used to run a cable through them to lock em up and keep on display when he was not at his place. A cool guy!

yep it was from tiki joes from myrtle beach....the tiki is cypress wood (or so the recipt says)...no hole in it though thankfully.....

T

Sweet pics Hala. When's the party? I'm glad you you got that Witco shield from the auction.

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 1:18 AM

Very Kewl! Love the mug collection!! Here in Cali we can't display ours like that, earthquakes would have them scattered & shattered all over the place...

ted, you guys will have to come by sometime, even though the house looks like a tornado hit it due to our daughter...lol. yeah, the witco shield is our 2nd witco piece( the first was a conquestador shield we found at a antique mall in kankakee)and was the piece tracy wanted most...she warned me she would bid higher than value if needed (she was hell bent on owning that shield...lol)

kuku, im glad we can display our mugs, our good friends in cali have a great collection, and they have them all in boxes,due to the fear of an earthquake destroying their collection, thats sad.

heres a few more photos....descriptions coming soon.....

[ Edited by: hala bullhiki 2008-06-26 19:46 ]

Loooooove the pictures! I wish I had such a big tikki collection!!! :(

Nice collection...you have done a great job. Let's see that bar in action. :D

Wow! This is simply fantastic. I especially like the art and the way you mixed in Mid-Century Modern design elements, which is somewhat similar to what I did in my Tiki bar. If you look at the photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/ you can see your spaceship Tiki decanter in my fireplace. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the artist-painted, one-of-a-kind decanters in the DVA show, so I only acquired the fired glaze one. And like you, I mixed real art works with reproductions (hey! it's supposed to be about having fun). Where you framed a Shag poster from Juxtapoz magazine, I framed a Mark Ryden that was torn out of a magazine. I glad to see you are raising your daughter to appreciate Tiki culture as well. Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2008-06-30 12:18 ]

thanks sandy,thanks vampiress....zarkov, your place looks great....and the shag in the tiki room is not the pull out from juxtapoz, but an actual print....we have several shag greeting cards framed throughout the house though, as well as the ryden post card set my wife got....and so far my daughter whos 13 months old has been to dva 3 times,exotica,and chef shangrila 2 times and the aku tiki room auction, so shes definately getting exposed to plenty of tiki. she loves being inthe tiki room, but having mugs at her eye level is kinda nerve racking sometimes....lol.....more pics coming soon....

[ Edited by: hala bullhiki 2008-07-08 06:54 ]

M

Really a very nice collection!

Illinois Ohana Represent!
Nice Tiki Room!
Some quality artwork and mugs!
I'll give you a shout next time i visit Champaign...

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Dec 22, 2008 3:24 PM

Great oasis "in" your home I'm very envious, but what does it look like outside your house today...? :o :lol: :P :wink:

T
TEZ posted on Mon, Dec 22, 2008 3:49 PM

Very cool place ya got there!

A verrrry cool pad!! I really love seeing other folk's tiki decor and collections!

MM

Your tiki room looks fantastic Hala Bullhiki! What type of rug/flooring is that? I'd like to do something similar in my basement lounge....

its actually sea grass matting. a pain to clean, but we had some water damaged carpet underneath and needed a quick fix.

Pages: 1 25 replies