Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Holy Crap - Welcome to FL

Pages: 1 18 replies

This picture was taken just a few miles from where I was surfing this weekend. New Smirna Beach, FL - this image is not a fake. It is a Spinner shark leaping out of the water. NSB - #1 in the world for shark attacks!!!!

B

Glad you didn't end up as an appetizer.... Last time I went snorkeling of off of a beach in Maui there was an attack the same week in the same place. I guess it pays to respect the fact that we are not top of the food chain when it comes to the Oceans.

Big week for the Chondrichthyes. A bunch of hammerhead cruised into Hanalei bay and shut the beach down over the weekend.
Read all about it

Myspace
Barefoot bloggin'

Time to take up snow skiing

I am not a shark fan!!! Seems like every summer they show these types of "shark swarm" pictures of those spinners off the Florida coast.

We just have an occasional Great White attack in California...and strangely enough...nobody stays in the water when one of those is on the prowl.

Thank goodness you weren't live bate. Give me a pool any day!!!

I've seen sh!t like that in Sebastians inlet, FLA - scary in the shark pool.

But thats life!

cool shot - though

H

Our local news station here in Charleston, SC showed that pic today and the news crew debated whether or not it was a photoshop job. I new right off the bat it was real. I've seen sharks do the same thing here --not often , but a few times. Don't know if it was the same species but I've seen them do a complete breach nearshore. We have a lot of sand sharks here--could've been one of those.

The drama here is that there is a shark in the same picture as a surfer. You combine the 2 together and you get a good news story. The thing is that those spinners could care less if there were surfers or swimmers around. They don't want to eat us! For them to seek us out as a food source would be the same as any of us seeking out...say, a gorilla for food--just don't happen that much. When people get attacked by sharks, it's mostly accidental. That's excluding the tiger, bull and white sharks, mainly, which will eat a peeple just as a snack. Us right coasters don't really have to worry about the white shark much--not many around, no seals for them to feed on. (yay!)

I see sharks fairly regularly out in the surf but they're always chasing baitfish, mullet, etc. No big deal. You get out past the breaks and you can see all kind of stuff you can't see from sitting on the beach or wading in the inshore surf. You get that one photo of that shark with a swimmer or surfer in there---you're going nationwide, baby! Sensationalism is alive and well!

(knock on wood-I might be surfing tomorrow!)

H

Whoever the surfer is, you know he'll have that photo framed big and proud somewhere in his pad!

It made it all the way to CNN. The video clip show the whole sequence of the shark jumping.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/07/17/zarrella.shark.jump.cnn

Amazing! That picture makes me wonder if something bigger scared that shark out of the water!

yeah, my mother-in-law!
(rimshot)

The running joke about New Smyrna when I was growing up in Orlando:

The sharks are attracted by the glimmer of all the gold chains on the people in the water.

True story. I was out on New Smyrna at dawn after a party in a condo there. There was one surfer out in the water, and his two friends were on the shore. A shark appeared on the waves to his right and his friends started yelling and pointing at it. The surfer looked over and instead saw a good break, so he started paddling over. After about 30 yards he finally saw the shark. He crouched on the board refusing to touch the water and somehow made it to shore faster than anyone I had ever seen.

Just remember kiddies, shark only attack out of curiosity or mistaken identity on your behalf. Even the dolphins can scare the heck out of you when you don't expect them.

Same shark different photo, sorry I mean same surfer different photo, whatever it's the same photographer

H
B

Eat more Shark!

Shark N Shake!

• 1 pound Shark fillets or tilapia fillets
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced seeded Scotch bonnet chile or habanero chile
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • All purpose flour
  • 6 pita bread rounds, warmed
  • Chopped lettuce leaves
  • Tomato slices
  • Assorted condiments, such as mango chutney, honey mustard, garlic mayonnaise, thinly sliced onion, thinly sliced cucumbers, and hot pepper sauce

Directions

1. Arrange shark fillet in single layer in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix lime juice, green onion, garlic, thyme, and chile in small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Spoon over fish; let stand at room temperature at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
  2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish on both sides with salt and pepper, then flour. Working in batches, add fish to skillet and cook until golden and opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer fish to paper towels to drain.
  3. Cut off thin slice from each warm pita bread round, forming opening. Open pita pockets and stuff with fish, lettuce, and tomato. Serve with desired condiments.

Shark Bite Cocktail recipe
rating
12 votes
vote
serve in
Old-Fashioned Glass
alcohol
20%
options
Print
Save
Add Comments
Scale ingredients to servings
3/4 oz Captain MorganĀ® Original spiced rum
3/4 oz light rum
1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
1 1/2 oz sweet and sour mix
3 drops grenadine syrup

Fill a shaker with ice. Add the spiced rum, light rum, sour, and blue curacco. Shake the ingredients well. Strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with three drops of grenadine.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 2:51 PM
UB

Looks like a banner year!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/orl-bk-shark-bite-090708,0,5341545.story

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2008-09-07 14:27 ]

Pages: 1 18 replies