Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Forest Lawn Museum Mailing List - "In Search Of Tiki" invite

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

I know I would like to hit up Damon's first bout 3:30-4:00 IT"S MY BIRTHDAY! Anyone???????? and yes DJ Lee,
Bigfoot after a perfect ending for a B.D. too..... any takers?

Forest Lawn
1712 S Glendale Ave
Glendale, CA 91205
(800) 204-3131

Damon's
317 North Brand Blvd. Glendale, CA 91203
Ph. (818) 507-1510 Hours: Sun-Thurs: 11AM - 10PM
Fri-Sat: 11AM - 11PM

Bigfoot Lodge
3172 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, 90039
323-662-9227

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-08-03 13:23 ]

I am not sure if I'm working that day or not. But I will definatly be at Forest Yawn and I think I'll be at the Bigfoot Lodge after. Good Tymes!!

SD

Were going / showing I don't know . We were called to show / vend but forgot about it
I guess I should call and see if they still want vendors or not LOL

B
BigToe posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 9:54 AM

Atomic Kitty told me about a secret entrance thru the crypts, so i'm gonna be there.

not sure i will be there by 4 Hipa"hula, but will try. is Damon's fairly close to da venue??

bT

I'll be driving from Santa Barbara that afternoon, so I doubt I'll make it to Damon's in time for the pre-show but for sure Bigfoot Lodge after.

Hau'oli la hanau HHHULA!

On 2008-08-04 09:54, BigToe wrote:
Atomic Kitty told me about a secret entrance thru the crypts, so i'm gonna be there.

not sure i will be there by 4 Hipa"hula, but will try. is Damon's fairly close to da venue??

bT

Very close my buddy, be there! :)

hope to make it to all the above, maybe resume some conversations from the Tonga Show that gotten broken up and interrupted with folks throughout the night. Don't think I got to finish a single conversation with anyone that evening. That is the nature of an art show though.

FYI.....

Damon's Happy Hour

Monday through Friday 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

T

Forshadowing ?

Excellent Show!

TS

Very good show indeed. I recapped my evening about the show in the events section, but I wanted to say Happy bday to HipHipahula! Just found out on this thread it was your bday, or else I would have wished you a happy birthday at the show, when we chatted with ya!

T

A lot of great work up on the walls! The lighting and arrangement is very nice. The show's missing quite a few really talented tiki artists, but other than that, its top knotch.

Good seeing all you beautiful faces. Nice meeting you BigToe! Doug Nason and Jeff Fox did an amazing job putting this show together, and I'm sure others. Great talking to the legendary LeRoy and Bob from OA. I heard Shag's ear fell off from people talking it off! Congrats to Oceotica and my friend Alan who both independently got mistaken for Shag and asked to sign the cover. How many others got mistaken for Shag? Ha ha. Put on some dark rim glasses and people think you're Shag! Happy B-Day Hip HIp! Thanks to Naomi who gladly took an event necklace after Sven said, "'You just gave me one last week." As if you can have enough Tiki Necklaces.

Here's the Official Event Tiki Necklaces with hang tag that I did for the show. They're available in the Museum gift shop for $20. They're limited to about 50 and not sure how many are left after last night! They come in Hot Lava, Sea Foam Green, and Driftwood Muck!

Sorry I missed this...looked awesome. At least I can frame my invite. :)

AND you can still go and see it, the place is a great place, and the show is a great show, and it will be there for months!

O

Finally able to upload after my computer being down for a month, had to reformat after getting some computer virus called Henry? Maybe that statue is from Easter Island after all!
But I'm sure Henry had a great time with all the cool people who greeted him last night.

Cool show, what a gathering of greats this was! Leroy and Bob, Shag, Doug Nason, Sven, Atomic Kitty not to mention the numerous other artists, painter and stunt woman Annie Ellis whose father Richard Ellis was a great Tiki carver. Crazy Al, Grog, Tiki Diablo, Vontiki, Jon Paul, Marie and many others I'm leaving out.
This was a event to remember. Thanks Doug for sharing your great collecton with all of us. Douglas Nason the guest curator for this great show is also an anthropologist. He is holdng a interactve workshop Sunday October 12th, 1:30 to 4:00 pm. And it's free!
For more info call Matt Aaronson, Educatonal Director 310-340-4745.
See you all there. ( BTD ,No Surf band shows so far )
The show is there through the first week of January. Don't miss seeing it because photos don't do it justice.

Henry and Von Tiki meet

Shag flashing the Tiki the missionaires must have missed

Annie Ellis meets COTE

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-08-09 22:50 ]

Aweseome, the exh. will be there for a few months!
Oajitimo, thanks for so nicely documenting this!

DZ

Comment re: the invite. Got mine, sent to my eBay seller name (not my TC name) and sent to my mother's address, not my own address. Random. Looks like 'twas a good show!

On 2008-08-07 22:57, Tom Slick wrote:
Very good show indeed. I recapped my evening about the show in the events section, but I wanted to say Happy bday to HipHipahula! Just found out on this thread it was your bday, or else I would have wished you a happy birthday at the show, when we chatted with ya!

Thank you, Thank You :) great night all around!

O

Hiphpahula, I would have wished you a happy birthday too. Great way to spend your birthday.
Guess you were making a wish like I was for some of those mugs? Happy belated Birthday?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-08-13 06:23 ]

SoccerTiki and I went for a Sunday Drive to Glendale yesterday. We decided to make a stop at The Forest Lawn Museum to revisit the In Search of Tiki Show. The museum opens daily at 10:00am. If you haven't seen the show yet I highly recommend you make a trip to see it. The show runs through January 9, 2009.

JB

Tip tip hoorah!

On 2008-09-01 10:06, WooHooWahine wrote:
SoccerTiki and I went for a Sunday Drive to Glendale yesterday. We decided to make a stop at The Forest Lawn Museum to revisit the In Search of Tiki Show. The museum opens daily at 10:00am. If you haven't seen the show yet I highly recommend you make a trip to see it. The show runs through January 9, 2009.

And it's FREEEEEE! (Don't forget to ask for your souvenir program from behind the counter!!!)

T

Awesome show!

The show is over, but for the first time yesterday did I drive by the place from the 2 freeway direction, and saw that great sign that sports probabaly the biggest Shag image ever put out there! Had to document it before it comes down (or did somebody else post this already?):

Henryyyyyy! :)

Pages: 1 2 72 replies