Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

OC Beach Burn IV-August 8th, 2009 Huntington Beach-Surf City USA!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 174 replies

In celebration of International Tiki Day and continuing the tradition of the OC Beach Burn....We say "BURN IT!!!" On the 2nd Saturday in August (8/8/09) we will honor ITD and OCBB in Huntington Beach. Come Early and bring wood! (Bong tells me that he wants to see your wood!) NO PALLETS THOUGH! We will be at the fire pits to the south(left)side of the Beach Blvd entrance to Huntington Beach State Park beach. Come early and stay late! Here are some threads from previous burns......http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9257&forum=17&hilite=beach%20burn or http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15656&forum=17&hilite=beach%20burn

WooHooWahine says...
Did I hear Bong say, Burn, Burn, Burn? Or was that the sound of the Tiki Drums calling all TCers, Lurkers, Family, & Friends to join in at The International Tiki Day Beach Burn? Who's in for a Huntington Beach Burn on Sat., Aug 8th?

If you're interested post here and keep your eyes open for more details.

*Bring your beach gear, ez-ups, chairs, firewood, and a dish to share
*Hot dogs, buns, condiments, & S'mores will be provided
*Bring your bikes or rent them there!

We will get there early to secure a good spot!

Who's in?

"Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

This message has been updated for the 2009 BURN!!!**

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2009-07-10 06:40 ]

I'm there Buddy! :)

I'm in and will bring a sleu of Pagan demons (mugs) to sacrifice!!

WooHoo! Great Memories of the last burn
\
Can't wait to see the pics from this year

R

Oh, I'll be there!!!

I'll also be hosting the 1st Annual "How long will Bong actually hang around for?" pool. For those looking to do some research before actually placing their bets, he was there for a grand total of 42 minutes at the last one. I'll get the official over/under time from Las Vegas as the event gets closer.

Thanks for getting this together again WooHoo & ST.

I love the enthusiasm.

[ Edited by: Riptide 2008-07-15 15:16 ]

Oh I remember that burn....beach police kept on chasing Crazy Al down calling him "Hey you in the blue shirt". I think he unfortunately made eye-contact with them and made him the "man in charge".

The poor beetle infested tiki (pre-sacrafice)

The flames got real big -- real fast....

T

Shanna and I will be there....

Nice to see the ITD tradition carried on. Thanks for doing that.

H

If I'm in town that weekend, I may stop by.

R

bongofury-
Ron, I really hope that you and the Mrs.. can make it. It was great seeing you guys at my brother's 40th. I really miss seeing you guys at more events.

and in honor of Bong
HB TIKI-
Don't say that "if you're in town, you MAY stop by". Say that you WILL stop by!

International Tiki Day & the sometime-annual Beach Burn is a great tradition and a great way to meet and hang with many of the SoCal TC members. And all you have to remember if asked by the local police or state lifeguards, "Crazy Al is in-charge of this whole event and he is somewhere over there". (then just point at some dis-sheveld looking beach bum and say "there he is!") Or just blame GROG. That works too.

[ Edited by: Riptide 2008-07-15 22:24 ]

What is the time frame of this event?
I have a uh knitting class to go to later that night.
:wink:
har har har,

I will be there.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-07-15 22:41, bigtikidude wrote:
What is the time frame of this event?
I have a uh knitting class to go to later that night.
:wink:
har har har,

I will be there.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

The beach is open 6:00am-10pm. Gates Close at 9:00pm.

H

Sounds good! Tell us about (or show us) the Tiki's that are slated to burn.

On 2008-07-16 09:26, Hakalugi wrote:

Everyone from TC will have to come to the Beach Burn to see what will be burned :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-07-16 12:34 ]

T

Pardon my ignorance on this...Whay are you burning perfectly good Tikis ?

I'll take if you guys don't want em'.

R

On 2008-07-16 13:06, tikiyaki wrote:

Well, it's kinda like skydiving. People ask, "Why are you jumping out of a perfectly good airplane?"
The answer: Because I do whatever the hell I want!

Actually, usually there is a problem with the tiki such as rot or bug infestation. Or of course, the creator just thinks it looks like shit and they want to get rid of all evidence that it ever existed (similar to my old high school report cards and pictures of ex-girlfriends.)

I think that the Tikiyaki Orchestra should play this year. I'm pretty sure there is enough room for the whole band (except Squid).

H

On 2008-07-16 17:38, Riptide wrote:

Well, it's kinda like skydiving. People ask, "Why are you jumping out of a perfectly good airplane?"
The answer: Because I do whatever the hell I want!

Actually, usually there is a problem with the tiki such as rot or bug infestation. Or of course, the creator just thinks it looks like shit and they want to get rid of all evidence that it ever existed (similar to my old high school report cards and pictures of ex-girlfriends.)

I think that the Tikiyaki Orchestra should play this year. I'm pretty sure there is enough room for the whole band (except Squid).

And sometimes the Tiki was made to be burned. Like this one from the No OC Beach Burn in 2006:

If that question wasn't toned in your normal sarcasm them I think you brought up a good point! Let's have a contest for the best/worst wood tiki 2 feet tall or smaller brought to be burned!
I'll throw in a prize for the best and one for the worst. But they must be hand made by the owner.

For the record The Whale Rider and I will be there!!

WooHooWahines says....Ummmmmmmm! S'mores!!!!!!

DZ

Well it's about f'in time somebody got another one of these goin' - really missed having one last summer! (Or did we have one? Dang, the years are just blurring together...)

Pandora and the Good Doctor will definitely be there, with either Hakalugi-style hidden Beachbums or maybe High-Octane Jello tikis (my 'go-to' for drinking in public)!!

Here's one of my fave pix from a few years ago:

See you on the 9th!

The Boo Tribe will most likely be there.

Hmmmm.

What to burn.

Hmmmmmmmmm......

I'll definitely be there.

Can we bring Witco to burn?

R

On 2008-07-17 23:12, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I'll definitely be there.

Sabu-
Love the commitment & positive "Find a way to 'YES'" attitude.

On 2008-07-17 21:37, RevBambooBen wrote:
The Boo Tribe will most likely be there.

Come on Ben. You're starting to sound like an indecisive noobie. Make a stand! Make it Happen! Say you WILL be there. I know you like fire and burning things. This is YOUR day!!!
Go ahead and insert any other type of corporate bullshit slogan that they use to try to motivate people

Arrrrrrrr.
Love,
AlohaBros

On 2008-07-17 23:12, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

Can we bring Witco to burn?

That would be so cool to see the looks on peoples faces as that was happening. I say go for it!!

wow shocking
some people would cry I bet.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

This sounds like Tiki's answer to the "Burning Man" festival... only the temperature is nicer and there are toilets and showers. Oh, and the people are more fun. Ummm, and there is food and cocktails... and probably no man-hating drum circle women forcing you to bang a gong... On second thought, this is nothing like "Burning Man." Sounds like a rockin' good time. I hope I can join you all.

WooHooWahine and I were scoping out a good spot for the burn today... Thanks Bamboo Ben and Mrs Boo for the suggestions! Looks like we'll be close to restrooms, food stands, bike rentals and a whole lot more! All I gotta say is if you're planning on going, plan on getting there early! Fire, tiki, ocean, sand, Fire, hotdogs, s'mores, Fire, friends, fun and did I mention Fire? Don't forget to bring your wood! More info to follow!

The big guns in HB.
My loss I live so far.

Burning Witco will only drive up the prices of the remaining pieces. (about time)
Stay away from my place.

Best
Mark

Dang! Friends of ours are moving back to EspaƱa and the going away party is that day.

The LA Bar crawl is also that day.

Put me down for 26 minutes on Bong.

Move the Day! Move the Day! Move the Day of the Burn!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I am a little confused here, as well. Will the beach burn be "Fun" and will there be enough "Fun" for everybody. It seems at some of these events there is always someone hogging up all the "Fun" and there isn't enough to go around. I am just checking.

T

Sorry if I over looked this but what time does this "burn" start?

The Not Homes will be there; ready to burn some bridges!!!!!!

R

On 2008-07-21 14:26, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I am a little confused here, as well. Will the beach burn be "Fun" and will there be enough "Fun" for everybody. It seems at some of these events there is always someone hogging up all the "Fun" and there isn't enough to go around. I am just checking.

Just like any party, the host usually anticipates and provides all the "Fun" that is needed. Of course, it is never a bad idea to bring along some "Fun" with you. As a matter of fact, I know that I am planning on bringing some extra "Fun" as my side dish.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Bro!! So I'll bring some "Fun" you bring some "Fun" and hope that there is plenty of "Fun" for everyone. If you see anybody having too much "Fun" stop them and tell them to share.

On 2008-07-21 17:07, The Sperm Whale wrote:
So I'll bring some "Fun" you bring some "Fun" and hope that there is plenty of "Fun" for everyone. If you see anybody having too much "Fun" stop them and tell them to share.

SoccerTiki says, "Now that's FUNNY!!"

On 2008-07-21 16:03, Riptide wrote:

On 2008-07-21 14:26, The Sperm Whale wrote:

Just like any party, the host usually anticipates and provides all the "Fun" that is needed. Of course, it is never a bad idea to bring along some "Fun" with you. As a matter of fact, I know that I am planning on bringing some extra "Fun" as my side dish.

Hope that helps.

Just keep your "fun" in a inconspicuous container.

Hope this doesn't help.

On 2008-07-16 18:04, SoccerTiki wrote:

If that question wasn't toned in your normal sarcasm them I think you brought up a good point! Let's have a contest for the best/worst wood tiki 2 feet tall or smaller brought to be burned!
I'll throw in a prize for the best and one for the worst. But they must be hand made by the owner.

Oh GOODY! I'm coming and I'm bringin the Mister's first attempt at carving... he insists on keeping it around the pool and it's SO not tiki- it looks like a poor Eskimo boy's first attempt at totem carving using a wooly mammoth jaw bone! It's right at 2 feet tall and oughta burn up nice and quick- seriously dried out palm- and the added ugly factor-make it highly flammable! Not to mention, I've been soaking it in lighter fluid for a few years and "accidentally" leaving it near the fire pit... but no luck with a conflagration yet.

We'll be the ones in the Family Truckster (That there's a 'recreational vehicle' Clark!) adorned with too many hibiscus stickers. Can't miss us, even if ya wanted to.

Look forward to seeing everyone!

On 2008-07-16 18:04, SoccerTiki wrote:

2 feet tall or smaller? Why the height restriction?

The beach patrol will give us a hard time if we burn anything too big! Last time we had to pull a five foot tiki OUT of the fire while it was flaming! But I have a feeling the flames will be massive later into the evening!

I'll take if you guys don't want em'.

That Tiki was a Survivor!! WooHoo!! :)

H

On 2008-07-24 16:20, SoccerTiki wrote:

The beach patrol will give us a hard time if we burn anything too big! Last time we had to pull a five foot tiki OUT of the fire while it was flaming! ...

Is a two foot limit a restriction defined by the 'beach patrol'? or is this an arbitrary number, nevertheless, I do understand the concerns. If the two foot height IS a strict limit defined by law, is this two feet measured from the base of the fire pit or from the top edge of the rim? I think there is some wiggle room here and we shouldn't unnecessarily squelch things.

So let's not make this a call for tiny two foot Tikis, this is a call for ANY and ALL Tiki contributions. The bigger the better.

So if someone has a taller Tiki they want to burn, bring it. Three feet tall? Absolutely. Four feet tall? Sure.. maybe just lay it down on the fire sideways. Five feet or taller? BRING IT! We can always chop it into smaller pieces before tossing it on the flames.

I'll bring an axe for people to use. If someone can bring a chainsaw, even better.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 9:10 AM

Extra points if it was carved by Tiki Ray!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.