Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

tiki mugs - a guide to collecting

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies

There's so much great work out there
I'm sure a sequel isn't too far-fetched,Bullit!
There should be whole books JUST about boith of your collections...
It's great that so many artists and collectors are given their props
and an attempted examination about today's mug culture.
EYE-CANDY!
Ordered mine on Amazon a while back! :)

:o WOW! :o A lot of kind comets*(comments)being hurled my way for photography. :wink: I truly want to thank Gecko for hooking me up with Mr. Strongman. After numerous conversations with Jay, he explained that an enormous amount of time and thought was put into the content of this book. Holden Westland was quick to recognize, that although Tiki Farm supplies the world with tiki mugs... there are several artisans putting out quality Mugs d'art independently. The unique designs and diverse glazes produced by these Tiki Revival artists are truly incredible to behold...now compiled into a visual tome! What a wonderful book to celebrate tiki mugs, artists and collectors!! :D

I've not seen the book myself but I've been reassured by the masses, this is some exceptional eye candy! :D BUY!BUY!BUY! :D

M

So now that they have arrived, how soon will Amazon be able to ship? I believe they are still saying the end of March.

On 2009-02-20 21:25, RevBambooBen wrote:
Don't be getting all Postal now.....
lol!!!

no sweat benboo. i'm retiring, so no more postal! i just wish jay had contacted me. jonesEy gave me his email, but i figured if he didn't seek me out, he didn't need me.

On 2009-02-20 23:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yup, Jonesey really has them wowed with that free-floating glass table/halo concept!

no doubt, sven! jonesEy is a pro and takes beautiful pics!

On 2009-02-21 08:16, teaKEY wrote:
Your mugs Bullit, were an introduction to collection bliss and the Gecko and tOny mugs you have are unmatched.

mahalo jordan. i'm pretty sure my munktiki collection is unmatched too! :)

On 2009-02-21 08:34, little lost tiki wrote:
There's so much great work out there
I'm sure a sequel isn't too far-fetched,Bullit!
There should be whole books JUST about both of your collections...

yeah kinny, i just need jonesEy to come out west and take pics for me! :)

On 2009-02-21 08:40, TravelingJones wrote:
there are several artisans putting out quality Mugs d'art independently. The unique designs and diverse glazes produced by these Tiki Revival artists are truly incredible to behold...now compiled into a visual tome! What a wonderful book to celebrate tiki mugs, artists and collectors!! :D

as usual, well said, my braddah!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2009-02-21 18:55 ]

GT

I saw a "Go Tiki" mug amongst those Great art pictures shown! This book reads Very Informative from front to cover, Awesome! Very well done Jay! All the artist are presented in the time frame from Old to New, Thank you JonPaul Balak for doing my pictures, I enjoyed reading about all the artis that I have admired for a long time! Including myself! Hell Why Not! Thanks again Jay for including ( Go Tiki ), Cheers To You! Gogo

that is so cool, gogo! you have good reason to be happy and proud. a well deserved honor.

Hi Jay, I am so excited about the book. I found that my art also made it into the book. I found on page four of this thread the Bloody Maori that I proposed to Gecko. I came up with the name and did the sculpt of the head and he did the moko. Then he turned it into ceramic art. The rest is history. I couldn't read the small print but I'll be interested to see if I got any credit or if my brother Gecko got it all. No matter it's all such a thrill. I so want my copies of the book to arrive. I ordered a whole bunch from Amazon.com.

Hey Jonesey, I can't wait to see your photos and my Gecko photos we did for the book. This is like being a kid all over again knowing that soon we'll be at Disneyland. Jay you did such a wonderful book for tiki addicts everywhere. Thank you always, cheers, Wendy

I just received my copy this morning in the mail, THIS BOOK ROCKS!! There are so many great mugs in this book, I can't put it down... Once I get beyond the pictures maybe I'll start reading it..:wink:

I have a feeling this book is not going to help my Tiki Mug addiction at all....

Mahalo's Jay for the great book!!

Aloha

Hey, Wendy. Thanks for the kind words on the book but ultimately it was you & Dan & Jonesy & all the other collectors, artists, photographers and members of the Tiki community that made the whole project possible. Thanks also to Yak & Ian at Korero Books for seeing the potential in the Tiki Mug "scene" and allowing me to indulge my love of Tiki via the written word. Apologies to all those collectors who have amazing mug collections but who I didn't have time or space to contact. It would have been wonderful to speak to all the main collectors and get photos of their
collections in the book but I hope they understand that in a book of this size and with the limited time I had there were only so many mugs that we could fit in, we also decided to go the route of focusing more on the art of the mugs and their creators rather than the collecting of the mugs (hence the title change of the book) ........ But as "little lost tiki" says there is definitely room in the market for a book (or two) just featuring the dedicated collectors and collections out there.... Mahalo, Jay.

B

You da man Dr Jones! Thanks for shooting that there Monkey.

Sweeeeet book! Looks like I'll have to buy 5 copies for my mother :-)

The art department have sent me a couple more images from the book so I thought I'd post them up here...

Jay, the book looks beautiful.
Can't wait 'til I can actually
hold it in my hands- probably
with a mai tai in the other.

Hi Tiki Kaimuki....Thanks for the kind words....Looking forward to seeing you on the 7th..

On 2009-02-25 19:03, Babalu wrote:
Looks like I'll have to buy 5 copies for my mother :)

B

Rollin One! :lol: Thank you JonesEy!

Jay, what a gift to see those images. I see two pages of my photographs made it into the book, I am so thrilled. I'm sending this page off to Gecko right now. The four mugs lined up was one of my very favorites to shoot. Thank you so very much for doing this book. Many hugs, Wendy

A few more images from the book (which should now be in stock at Amazon)....

M

Amazon says they are in stock, however the estimated shipping date on my order still says March 30th.

It also says that I can no longer cancel my order because the item(s) are being prepared for shipment.

So hopefully it's shipping soon! I got to peak at "Beach Bumz" copy a few days ago, it looks amazing!

I just got a message from Amazon that they shipped my books today! The Amazon page had said they would ship on April 3rd so I guess it's just not later than the date they list. Thank you Jay for a terrific book.
Wendy and Dan

Important books/magazines for the tiki collector

The Book of Tiki
Tiki News
Tiki Magazine
Tiki Modern
Tiki Quest
Pocketiki
Tiki Mugs

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2009-02-28 23:24 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2009-02-28 23:27 ]

There's a book coming out on Tiki Mugs??? Amazing!!

We received 2 pallets this last week from Trader Vic's for the signing, including their gold rum & mai tai mix... should be enuf to go around!

M

I got the notification that Amazon shipped mine today!!

Dearest Jay, I got the books and your note today. I am so happy with the quality of the printing. It's a wonderful book on thick glossy paper. All the photos are well done and interesting. All our favorite artists are in the book it's so impressive to see everyone together.

I'm so honored to have been involved with your project. You did surprise us with the last two pages in the book. I can't tell you how much fun it was to see them there. Dan works daily to perfect his tiki display shelves and now some are forever preserved in your book.

I'm taking the book with me to work in the morning with all "my" pages marked with post it notes. I can't wait to show it off.

A SEQUEL SOUNDS GOOD TO US.

Everyone will love this book and should get several copies, one to look at every day, one to give as a gift and one to keep pristine!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING, I hope to meet up with you in person one day, hugs, Wendy and Dan too

Here are a few photos that didn't make it into the book. Gecko'z Art

On 2009-02-28 23:22, danlovestikis wrote:
I just got a message from Amazon that they shipped my books today!...

Wah-heu!

My order from Amazon.com arrived today. They still have the special price available.

my book is here..
well done! - I haven't read it all but looking good and nice. Holden good stuff too!

Mahalo

Just a quick line to tell everyone that the book is #1 in Popular Culture Books on Amazon this week !! So, a big thank you to all of you who purchased a copy , Mahalo, Jay.

MN

You are welcome Jay. :lol: No, wait!! I mean, thank you for putting out the book!!! The book is great.

Erik the Red

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-03-09 17:41 ]

T

Recieved mine and its a nice book and the photos are really great. Now if only the dust jacket made it through the mail in one piece. Of course in did NOT! :( Damn mail! :evil:
Now to have a mai tai and enjoy reading it.. Thanks

Sifting past all the drunken yearbook scribbling from the signing
at La Luz, the book is so well done. Lots of great pics
and informative writing wrapped in a nice sturdy hardcover.
If you don't have one yet, you really need to get on it.

Most excellent Book!
sooooooo much to read and look at!
Congrats Mr. Strongman!

Placed my order today! Mm, mm, mm... now I'm just waitin'...

Damn! Totally forgot this book was out! I'm going to the farm tomorrow for sure.

S

Spotted 'em at just over $21.00 on Amazon's other sellers links:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0955339812/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1236742429&sr=1-1&condition=new

Go man. GO!!!

Got mine last week. Fabulous pictures, now I need to read and learn. FunFunFun

We've got the book up on sale on the Tiki Farm (www.tikifarm.com) website for $31.95 and it comes to you signed by Jay & myself. Plus we're throwing in a free 6-pack of our Samoan War Club swizzle sticks with your order of the book...

ADD on your 15% TC discount (which applies to the book as it's an open edition item) and subtract out the value of the swiz stix... $24.21 for a signed copy... TAKE THAT AMAZON!!

Holden,

How does one apply their TC discount when checking out?

Thanks,

PTD

LT

On 2009-03-12 11:56, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Holden,

How does one apply their TC discount when checking out?

Thanks,

PTD

Here you go...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23208&forum=1

D

While everyone is fawning over the book, I would like to take a second to introduce you to a mug scupltor who you may not have heard of, since he was not credited for a large portion of his sculpts...his name is Squid. And if any of you were lucky enough to attend his retrospective, you would have seen that a huge portion of the book features sculpts done by him--even those designed by other great designers.

LT

Squid did the sculpt for the Augie Colon mug?

D

Sure did & the Martin Denny Exotica mug too!

R

hey digitiki-- do you have more pics of the retrospective???please p.m. me if you do

S

LOL, Digi and Ron-

Thanks for the props.

In the interest of not derailing this thread, I would invite all to read my open letter regarding this situation. The discussion may be continued there if need be.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31603&forum=1&start=last&0

squid

CA

Dang that Squid!! giving all us under-achievers a bad case of 'tiki mug line up' envy....

I must say this book is eye candy, like Playboy Mag, I've yet to get far past the pictures. But have read the comments about myself... Jay is the MAN!! like my new best friend! lots o pics and a good word about me, I can't complain. And to put a hole book together?? I can't seem to get an email out with out type-o's and the like... even reading 'em over once or twice... so getting it all right must have been a b.i.t.c.h... that being said I'll go to Squid-man's other post....
GREAT JOB JAY!!

V

Holy MOLY!
Just got my copy in the mail today (via Amazon - wanted to get the Tiki Farm special, but the Hawaii shipping killed!). I have giddily flipped through it several times. SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL! I am completely blown away by the collection of modern tiki mug mastery, and on top of that, a few of my mugs actually made it in! Talk about chicken skin! A huge heartfelt mahalo to Jay for including me in the book, and a special mai-tai soaked shaka to Jonsey for taking the incredible photos. So nice to see Tooty Tiki Tavi again. I miss the sound of his whistle!

What a wonderful catalogue of ceramic treasure!

Once again, Mahalo -
Henrik "VanTiki"

H

Jay, what a great book, I have been reading it all day. Even though I do not collect new mugs, this books is certainly making me want to start collecting all the new mugs. Thank you so much for everything, and hope to see you at 8-Ball on the 5th of April for the book signing.

My sister gave me a copy of this delicious book last week. Someone special ordered it from the bookstore where she works and when she saw it she thought I might like it. What a great surprise - I wasn't even aware it was available in North America yet (I've been a little out of the tiki loop lately). So thanks, sister, and mysterious book orderer (I'm guessing you may be a TC member).

Pages: 1 2 3 141 replies