Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tools Stone carvers use

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

Strike 2. Ordered and got the Grizzly Arbor Chuck. Doesn't work.
Called Ryobi, they say it's a 5/8" -11 thread. So I guess that it's an 1/2" arbor doesn't mean anything.
Sent a detailed email to Grizzly Support...we'll see if there's an option.
-dissapointed

B

Hey Surfin, there was a Third option sar1 didn't
mention, an 8 pound or larger hammer, That'll make the sucker go on! :P
It's really hard to get those to match up, thats why it's better to get the threadless version with set screws , that way you only have to match up the shaft sizes. Hopefully that way you won't be getting the shaft any more! :D

S
sar1 posted on Sat, Aug 23, 2008 2:49 PM

On 2008-08-23 07:00, surfintiki wrote:
Strike 2. Ordered and got the Grizzly Arbor Chuck. Doesn't work.
Called Ryobi, they say it's a 5/8" -11 thread. So I guess that it's an 1/2" arbor doesn't mean anything.
Sent a detailed email to Grizzly Support...we'll see if there's an option.
-dissapointed

Ben was of course talking about a Ford wrench (8 pound or larger hammer). This may sound like a pain in the patuty but maybe you could trade that 1/2" for a 5/8" at Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/Motor-Arbors-5-8-Arbor-1-2-Keyless-Chuck/G5553 same price, just shipping costs, yea, I know it sucks but whatcha gonna do? I think most of us have had creative tooling problems like this, I know I have in the past. while looking for information for your arbor problem I came across a robotics site that had a step by step detail of how one person ground down a 5/8" motor shaft to meet the 1/2" arbor adapter size and they also flattened one side of the motor shaft for the set screws but, I thought that was more than you would want to do with a brand new grinder shaft.

Good luck on your next decision to solve the keyless chuck problem.

[ Edited by: sar1 2008-08-23 14:51 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Aug 23, 2008 3:57 PM

Just take the whole shebang to an engineer and get them to make one of these for you and get it all balanced up - trust me it's worth it:

Wow Paips-that adapter is PERFECT...so send it over to me! Yeah, I doubt I could find an engineer around here, who knows. I think the rep from Grizzly has me convinced to keep what I got and try to make it work. Thanks SAr1 for turning me on to Grizzly. Got their catalog, it's HUGE, like a phone book. Chock full o good stuff. It looks like Fender and Taylor use their machinery...cool. The support is really good too, I got emails, and then even a personal phone call, on a SATURDAY no less. He said I could go to the G5552, one size down, but with cost of shipping AND restocking fee :(, not really worth it. I think I'll try wrapping some thin copper sheets around the shaft, and try to work it that way.
Got a couple pieces of stone! Claimed to be jade...highly doubt it, but I don't care, these are kind of practice test pieces.
Still waiting for some other supplies I ordered.
This thread has been REAL good to me, thanks.
Hopefully other beginners can get some useful info off of here.

S
sar1 posted on Sun, Aug 24, 2008 10:17 AM

On 2008-08-24 06:01, surfintiki wrote:
I think the rep from Grizzly has me convinced to keep what I got and try to make it work. Thanks SAr1 for turning me on to Grizzly. He said I could go to the G5552, one size down.

Ok I'm confused here, a 1/2" is 4/8" which is smaller than 5/8" just 1/8" larger than a 1/2", so you are saying that the adapter end of the chuck is to large for the shaft or is it to small? If it is to large you may want to find some copper tube that will fit the motor shaft and the adapter and use it as a bushing. Find some longer set screws for the adapter check out this site it may help you out http://members.tripod.com/bobgreiner/id50.htm . Good Luck!

EXACTLY! That's why I feel like an idiot bonehead. The grinder says on the label 1/2" arbor. What's that? The arbor hole?
The Ryobi rep said it is 5/8" - 11. He's full of malarchy. That must be the main shaft within the grinder itself?
But yes, the G5553 5/8 is too big.
The Grizzly guy had me measure some stuff on the Grinder shaft.... total length of threads(along shaft) =5/8", approx. 8 threads in that space.
On the shaft closest to the grinder case, shaft was at it's widest, then where the collar to hold the washer, it drops to a little narrower. Then where the threads are, they are even narrower (very outside tips of threads).
Although hardware store clerk tells me this is a standard size for bench grinders!
TikiMango PM'd me to say he knows a machinist who could make an adapter in 45 mins! That's cool, but I think I'd have to send the grinder out, to make sure we have right sizes.
-I'm going surfing.

P

put your dremel in a vise.

Hmmm
Probably wouldn't hold a 5" sanding disc, or bigger.

P

it might hold a 3" disc. here's mine.

S
sar1 posted on Sun, Aug 24, 2008 1:35 PM

On 2008-08-24 10:37, surfintiki wrote:
EXACTLY! That's why I feel like an idiot bonehead. The grinder says on the label 1/2" arbor. What's that? The arbor hole?

Why did you get the 5/8" chuck when the label said 1/2" arbor?

On 2008-08-24 13:35, sar1 wrote:

On 2008-08-24 10:37, surfintiki wrote:

Why did you get the 5/8" chuck when the label said 1/2" arbor?

Cuz the rep told me over the phone, that's what it was!
Surf was good! I feel better.

S
sar1 posted on Sun, Aug 24, 2008 6:26 PM

You need a piece of copper tube with a 5/8" OD and a 1/2" ID to use as an adapter for the adapter.

[ Edited by: sar1 2008-08-24 18:31 ]

On 2008-08-24 10:17, sar1 wrote:

On 2008-08-24 06:01, surfintiki wrote:
I think the rep from Grizzly has me convinced to keep what I got and try to make it work. Thanks SAr1 for turning me on to Grizzly. He said I could go to the G5552, one size down.

Ok I'm confused here, a 1/2" is 4/8" which is smaller than 5/8" just 1/8" larger than a 1/2", so you are saying that the adapter end of the chuck is to large for the shaft or is it to small? If it is to large you may want to find some copper tube that will fit the motor shaft and the adapter and use it as a bushing. Find some longer set screws for the adapter check out this site it may help you out http://members.tripod.com/bobgreiner/id50.htm . Good Luck!

Yesiree Sar Sir
I like the looks of that brass insert, I'm gonna try that. Thanks mucho mucho

Welllllll, since everyone's talking 'bout Jade quality lately, I thought I'd post pics of the pieces I just bought on ebay. I figured, get some cheap ones to practice on...and cheaps I gots! But I wonder what they are?
Here's the ebay ad...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160271829616&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
and here's some better pics...

You can see my first little hole I drilled in the corner! How sweeeeet.

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-08-26 14:52 ]

On 2008-08-26 14:51, surfintiki wrote:
Welllllll, since everyone's talking 'bout Jade quality lately, I thought I'd post pics of the pieces I just bought on ebay. I figured, get some cheap ones to practice on...and cheaps I gots! But I wonder what they are?

*I can see that the online stone identification service/site that I was planning is going to be a tougher job than expected..

From here they all appear to be nephrite but dont quote me. How long did the hole take to drill? Is there any translucency to the darker slabs?

HEY TAMA! My Pal!! Thanks for chiming in.
I drilled for maybe 2 minutes? To get that little indentation! That was my virgin experience.WOOOO! Cool, but yeah seemed like a long time, now I know why this is HARD business. The darker slabs have very little transparency, but it DOES have some. Also looks like I got a crack in the more translucent piece. So that figures, they sell a good piece, but with a crack, and the other two...not even sure what they are.

COOL! an identification site! Cool! :)

T

Try this method , it seems to work ....:D

Artists' exhibition Te Kaha-nui-a-tiki District High School, Te Kaha. Dr Doug Sinclair demonstrates traditional drilling techniques. June 1973

B

On 2008-09-03 01:48, Toataiaha wrote:

Artists' exhibition Te Kaha-nui-a-tiki District High School, Te Kaha. Dr Doug Sinclair demonstrates traditional drilling techniques. June 1973

:o :o :o

unbelievable !

Benjamin.

B

Would THIS be any good IF we could get it here in the US?
The guy has several offerings that are expensive? maybe?

On 2008-09-09 03:07, Benzart wrote:
Would THIS be any good IF we could get it here in the US?
The guy has several offerings that are expensive? maybe?

Yep, nothing wrong with Siberian jade. Good quality stuff is as stunning as any jade Ive seen. Those blocks have been listed for the last few weeks - trouble is, only NZ stone is popular in NZ..

Im sure a decent US lapidary supply store would have access to this material.

B

Thanks T, Figured there was a catch,as he has no NZ jade for sale! Not that I would buy chunks that large but it was just Odd to me anyway to see that much raw jade for sale, I just didn't equate the NZ jade thingie! :P
Thanks Again, Always count on the Master for the correct answers.

Pages: 1 2 69 replies