Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is there a tiki documentary? One in the works?

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

L

Hi! I think the best-known documentary about Tiki would be ‚Kon-Tiki‘, a documentation which won an Academy Award in the early fifties. It’s basically about this Norwegian guy who’s on this expedition and goes across the Pacific ocean from South America to the Polynesian islands, to prove that the South Americans would have been able to settle Polynesia before Columbus even came along. Anyway, I saw this documentary recently because obviously I had to find out all about things, and it was pretty good, I can recommend it.

Kon Tiki is more a historical recreation than a reflection of the tiki pop culture. More in the spirit of the HMS bounty re-enactments etc.

A tiki documentary sounds like a great idea for an indie film maker. I would pay money to see it for sure.

Actually, I'm involved wirh a group of documentary filmmakers who are planning a doc on the world of tiki and vintage and contemporary poly-pop.

Our working title is 'For The Love Of Tiki', but it's still in the early planning stages right now so I really can't say too much more about it except that -- IF we can get the FINANCING together (ALWAYS the trickiest part) -- the project will be overseen/executive-produced/hosted by one of the big guns in the world of tiki.

Our team is rarin' to go on this, but getting the financial aspects together is, as usual, going to take some time.

So if any of you kanes 'n wahines have any brilliant ideas in that regard, please lemme know!

Cheers & Mahalos :drink: :tiki:

Castaway Clemens

Hey there, tikiauction...

On 2008-10-14 15:32, tikiauction wrote:
Kon Tiki is more a historical recreation than a reflection of the tiki pop culture. More in the spirit of the HMS bounty re-enactments etc.

I find that statement a little perplexing because I've seen the 'Kon Tiki' film recently and it sure as hell didn't look like a "recreation" to me.

It's my understanding that the film consists primarily of ACTUAL black & white footage taken by members of the Kon Tiki expedition WHILE the voyage was taking place. And that sure is what it looked like.

So, if that indeed is the case, then how does that qualify as a "recreation"???

Cheers :drink: :tiki:

Approximately one year ago a few of us opened our homes and collections up to a really nice guy from Tiki Central by the name of Mahalo Myers for a film project he was working on about tiki, collectors and artists from Tiki Central.

Has anyone who participated in this heard anything from him? I noticed he posted a month or so ago about trying to get some musicians to contribute some of their music.

I hope to see something from this project someday!

PTD

A

The Kon Tiki project as a whole was an attempt to support a hypothesis by re-creating the voyage from South America to Polynesia, using the kind of watercraft and route that could have been used by South Americans. This suggested that Polynesia could have been populated in this way. So, you could say the film documents this re-creation.

You might also say the Kon Tiki crew was engaging in both re-creation AND recreation. Just a quick look at Bengt Danielsson's Love In the South Seas, and you get a sense of what that other kind of recreation might be.

-Randy

ooh, if i'm not too late to add my name to the list Sven, could I have one too!? :)

CJ

me want one

Any update on this??

Me some too!

me want one!

OK, it wasn't exactly asap, but I am finally picking up the DVDs from the duplication place tomorrow, and then will post a link on how to order them. Thank You for your patience.
Correction: They won't be ready until Friday, will post ordering link this weekend.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-11-12 17:09 ]

G
Gibbo posted on Sat, Nov 15, 2008 2:37 PM

Me want one too... if they can be sent to Western Australia PLEASE.
Cheers,
Gibbo

I'm waiting.

DC

T

Me want one, too! :lol: :lol:

I'll take one of those too!

OK, here we go: Because I knew I had to go to Europe on a job, I arranged the DVD to be available through Naomi's store, 8 Ball:

http://www.8ballwebstore.com/tikiarcheologydvd.aspx

I had them burn a nice X-mas Tiki image on the DVD itself:

Give the gift of Tiki for X-mas! :)

(now remember, this is "archival footage" from a VHS master, not Blue Ray! But once you see Augie Colon mouth those bird calls, you're gonna get goose bumps, no matter what the medium is!)

T

Is this available at the 8 ball store itself ?

Can I just walk in and buy one ? I live a minute away.

Just ordered mine, can't wait to get it - thanks

Just ordered mine too. I can't wait.

C

hmmmmm......I have the 'ol VHS version, but may have to update with the DVD version soon.....

Just ordered 2 if anyone in the uk wants one youre welcome to have one as shipping is $38.
Works out with uk shipping £26 saving you £8!!if it helps anyone - credit crunch un all that.

Mail me at [email protected]

Hooray! I'm gonna ask for this for Christmas. If ol' Dad doesn't come through, I hope there's still some for sale AFTER Christmas!

Thanks, Big Bro.

wow, fast shipping! Got my copy already. can't wait to watch it tonight.
Thank-you!

I got my copy too and I liked it. It's a great companion to "Book of Tiki"

Pages: 1 2 72 replies