Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

*** Tikiyaki Orchestra & Squid Tiki Mug/Art Retrospective at KONA - Sept. 20 ***

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA & SQUID TIKI MUG / ART RETROSPECTIVE

6:00 September 20, 2008 at Kona in Huntington Beach.

The Tikiyaki Orchestra presents an evening of music, munchies, mai tais, merriment and mugs!

The evening will feature:

-Two full live sets of Tikiyaki tunes!

-Full buffet dinner

-Plus the official 8 year tiki mug/art retrospective, "Squid: Squlptures and Sqribbles 2000 - 2008".... and a bunch of crap he did before then!

Enter the Hidden Village and see a nearly complete (as far as we can figure) collection of Squid's tiki mugs from 2000 til now.

Over 200 mugs and ceramic stuff!! Also on display will be many of his original sculptures used in the production of mugs and toys, as well as concept drawings and doodles!

The retrospective is bravely curated by none other than the Mistress of Mugs, Tiki-Kate and includes items from her collection as well as from the collection of co-conspirator Ron Senso (ron-tiki).

And as for the paper crap, our own Marty Lush is serving as Her Majesty's Most Obsequious Minister Of All That Is Not Of The 3-D Realm. As far as we know (and we don't know much), this quantity of Squid's work has never been assembled in one joint before, so don't miss it!

SCHEDULE:

6:00 PM
The buffet... er ...um...Smorgasbord begins and will include:
Kalua Pork
Chicken Tikiyaki
Ceviche
Vegetables
Salad
Artichoke Dip
Mashed Potatoes
Fried Rice
Rolls and Butter
Kahlua Mousse Dessert

7:30 PM
Tikiyaki Orchestra will begin first tiki-drenched set.

9:00 PM (approx.)
Tikiyaki kicks into high gear with 2nd set!

Reservation Information
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!!

RESERVED SEATING
$20 for reserve table seating includes all you can eat buffet. Reservations require a $10 deposit, by phone only. Call KONA @ 562.592.1321 to make the reservation.
No online reservations will be accepted for this event. YOU CAN NOT RESERVE A TABLE WITHOUT PURCHASING THE BUFFET.

GENERAL ADMISSION

$10 At the door for the performance and retrospective. This will most likely be standing room but they may bring extra bar tables and stools in if space allows. And of course, you will be welcome to dine in the restaurant area or order pu-pus from the bar.

In order to insure seating in the main banquet room where the band will be performing, call early. The first reservations will be seated in the Banquet Room, then the additional table reservations will go into the Hidden Village.

BIG BONUS!!!!
Everyone attending will receive the "Comprehensive Field Guide to Squid Crap, More or Less", with detailed information that nobody in their right mind should ever commit to memory. Really. If you do it will scare us.

So whet your whistle, chow down, fill your ears and pop your eyeballs at Kona on September 20!!

KONA
16278 S. Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, CA 92649

http://www.konahb.com/ 562.592.1321

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-08-12 08:17 ]

T

OH MY TIKI GODS!!!! Tikiyaki back at Kona?!? I'm SO there!!! Let's hope the fuzz doesn't bust up THIS event too... it would be a shame to see eight years of Squid's exquisite sculptures smashed to smithereens under a riot-geared goon-squad!

Although maybe the Tikiyaki Orchestra and Squid can accept the challenge to have the first art show in history to be shut down by the police!

!$%!!!!ing

Sh!%%#&** !!! !!!!

Arrrrrr@!!!!!!!

Might be up north werkin.

Damn the Tiki gods!!!!!

Arr RRR !!!!!!!!!

Tikiyaki, Squid art....AND all you can eat food? WHY DOES #%&$! KONA NOT ANSWER THEIR PHONES AT 8:30 AM!!!

Sorry, lost composure there for a second...see y'all on the 20th.

R

no smashed sculptures or mugs pleeeeaaaasse!!!!

S

On 2008-08-11 09:49, ron-tiki wrote:

Yes, please! Any volunteers to stand guard in the Hidden Village would be greatly appreciated. Kate and Ron have been kind enough to loan from their collections and I would hate to see anything happen to their stuff. If interested, please PM me. I'm sure there would be a Mai Tai in it for ya!

S

On 2008-08-11 09:00, Jason Wickedly wrote:
Tikiyaki, Squid art....AND all you can eat food? WHY DOES #%&$! KONA NOT ANSWER THEIR PHONES AT 8:30 AM!!!

Sorry, lost composure there for a second...see y'all on the 20th.

It's 10:00 now. CALL!!

How to treat tikis.

And please remember that I'm still a little sensitive about the whole issue of broken mugs. :)

I suggest y'all contact the Moai Mafia as MUG security...
This is gonna be GREAT!
Squid's finally gettin some of the props he deserves!
oh yeah...and the Tikiyaki orchestra is alright too! :)

On 2008-08-11 10:26, little lost tiki wrote:
I suggest y'all contact the Moai Mafia as MUG security...
This is gonna be GREAT!
Squid's finally gettin some of the props he deserves!
oh yeah...and the Tikiyaki orchestra is alright too! :)

Soccer, Hinano....? You guys up for it ?

I'd hate for you guys to be having responsibilities while you could be havin fun tho'. :o

B

WOW. a squid retrospetive!?!?!?!

i am planning to crash my car into the Hidden Village in an effort to increase the value of my Squid ephemera. :D

i will be there with the proverbial 'bells on' and am happy to 'take a shift' on watch duty. i will even endeavor to stay sober thru aformentioned watch-shift.

t

PS; i am not looking forward to a Jamaican-themed event and the "tikiaki-jerked-chicken"

Marty Lush.

I just felt like saying that right now for some reason.

On 2008-08-11 11:07, BigToe wrote:

PS; i am not looking forward to a Jamaican-themed event and the "tikiaki-jerked-chicken"

Nonesuch!!!!

R

This sounds great!
I definitely can't wait!

(eek, I rhymed)

:lol:

On 2008-08-11 09:49, ron-tiki wrote:

Can't make any promises on that one...

And hopefully we get to see lots of Squid squibbles!

T

Tikiyaki Orchestra & Squid Tiki Mug/Art Retrospective at KONA - Sept. 20

Did someone say mug. This event so could have used a mug. A squid maybe.

Made my reservations cuz i know its going to be elbows and assholes. Stoked to see Squids skills live and direct. I think the Moai Mafia should have a sit down with the neighbors of Kona and let them know if they rat us out to the cops they might get carved up like a tiki turkey.

T

On 2008-08-11 14:53, Mongoloid wrote:
Made my reservations cuz i know its going to be elbows and assholes. Stoked to see Squids skills live and direct. I think the Moai Mafia should have a sit down with the neighbors of Kona and let them know if they rat us out to the cops they might get carved up like a tiki turkey.

Like THIS ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oP1NMB_I0s

Tikiyaki dont shine shoes no more!

T

That's what we refer to as a "good, old school beatdown".

S
squid posted on Mon, Aug 11, 2008 5:32 PM

On 2008-08-11 14:47, teaKEY wrote:
Tikiyaki Orchestra & Squid Tiki Mug/Art Retrospective at KONA - Sept. 20

Did someone say mug. This event so could have used a mug. A squid maybe.

Sorry TeaKEY. No time this time :(

Squid, Kate, Ron,

Our services are available if you require some muscle!

T

Nice Logo !

On 2008-08-11 21:19, Hinano_Paul wrote:

Squid, Kate, Ron,

Our services are available if you require some muscle!

Hinano Paul forgot to mention.... They will work for Mai Tais

Now there's a show worth leaving Mission Beach for. Congrats Dave.

WooHoo! I just reserved our Table :) Kona's is very excited to have everyone from TC Back.

R

made my reservations already!
this is gonna be awesome!
:D

KH

ALOHA FROM KONA!!

Yes, we are excited to have you all back and I know this employee can't wait to see the Tiki art.

Just an FYI, if you are calling to make reservations and we don't answer, kindly leave a message and a manager will call you back to confirm and get your deposit. We are crazy spreading the Tiki joy and can't always get to the phone.

Our business hours: 4:00PM - 10:00PM week days, the bar and restaurant our open later on the weekends. Banquet Sales Manager is usually in the office between 10 - 11:00am to about 5 or 6:00PM Mon-Fri.

SEATING IS LIMITED, WE WILL DO OUR BEST TO ACCOMODATE EVERYONE.

MAHALO!!

T

I'm giving this thread a BUMP !

Now that the Oasis hangovers are starting to fade (well...maybe not yet!) let's make this an SoCal Oasis Reunion of sorts, cos, really, who wants the party to stop ?

Not me.

Hope to see all the SoCal Ohana at this event.....

Im so there,
lots of other things going on that weekend.
but no way I'd miss this.
and hey im supporting the artist and the musician this way.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-08-23 14:20 ]

bump

(up over the post-Oasis threads...yes it's a month away but you need to reserve now!)

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-08-20 09:55 ]

I am there with rings on my fingers and bells on my toes in anticipation.
I look forward to this show-should be another great turn out and event.
I was thinking I could cut all the neighbors phone lines so they don't call
the cops again!!
Cheers,
Trader Bill

Don't forget to make your reservations! (562) 592-1321

We are really bummed about missing this! Squid, you rock in every way!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 23, 2008 11:34 PM

So, is this a Tikiyaki event that Squid is having a retrospective at, or is it a Squid retrospective that Tikiyaki Orchestra is playing?

S

On 2008-08-23 23:34, GROG wrote:
So, is this a Tikiyaki event that Squid is having a retrospective at, or is it a Squid retrospective that Tikiyaki Orchestra is playing?

Oh, Ernesto. You know it's but a cheap ploy to get people to a Tikiyaki show with some eye candy. Or is it a cheap ploy to get people to see a giant pile of Squid crap by providing swank entertainment? Well now I'm confused. Either way I finally get to celebrate my lifelong ambition of having 2 totally unstable careers! And maybe people will buy me drinks...or tip the band...or something...

Anyhoo, you're in for a treat. Kate and Ron are bustin' hump to make it a really spiffy event. And if Marty Lush can manage to stay upright for the evening, the orchestra might be in top-notch form as well!

And I expect YOU to be on good behavior 'cause I heard Joe Banks will be there with his video gear....

T

I'm finally employing what my aunts and uncles told me for years about being successful in the music business....

"You need a gimmick"

Squid is our gimmick :)

Actually, this retrospective will be pretty amazing, and ALOT of work to set up.

AND All you eat Smorgasboard (when's the last time you heard the word "Smorgasboard ? ! )

AND the Tikiyaki Orchestra

Next Show, "Tikiyaki Orchestra and Puppet Show".

JB

As long as you get a bigger dressing room than the puppets.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 24, 2008 12:08 PM

On 2008-08-24 08:25, tikiyaki wrote:

GROG has already seen the poster for that event.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-08-24 12:10 ]

JB

GROG has already seen the poster for that event.

In the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny....."Yipe!"

R

aaaarrrrgggghhhh.it started out so family friendly!!

S

Groggy....you had to go there didn't you? OY....

R

AAAAH!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

S

WOW. And I thought I was bad when I read something about eating the Tikiyaki Orchestra.

AND All you eat Smorgasboard (when's the last time you heard the word "Smorgasboard ? ! )

On 2008-08-25 11:41, suzanne wrote:
WOW. And I thought I was bad when I read something about eating the Tikiyaki Orchestra.

Can I get my Tikiyaki sauce on the side please?

Spinal Tap references never get old, in fact i try to work them in as many conversations as i can. But i think instead of a Puppet Show "Tikiyaki Orchestra and Shoe Shines"

T

Hey Mongo.

I don't know if ya heard, but Tikiyaki don't shine shoes no more.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies