Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

*** Tikiyaki Orchestra & Squid Tiki Mug/Art Retrospective at KONA - Sept. 20 ***

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 14, 2008 11:14 PM

But, poor Bai, her eyes are gone. She's got "Squid-eye" syndrome. Let's hope she recovers quickly.

I just made my reservation! See you guys there!

(I'll also be at Tiki-Ti on Wednesday, if anyone's craving a Ray's Mistake.)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 11:25 AM

HUMU!!!! Don't hang around Squid too long, he's contagious, especially to the touch.

Poor Buzzy found that out the hard way this weekend.

Se ya'll at the SQUIDSTROSPECTIVE.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-09-15 14:48 ]

S
squid posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 1:06 PM

I guess I have to keep my eyes on you crazy bastards. I can definitely see trouble brewing.

Your pal,
squint

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 2:50 PM

On 2008-09-15 13:06, squid wrote:
I can definitely see trouble brewing.

Through narrow slits.

so looking forward to this.

whats the trick to not getting the squid eye syndrome?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 10:24 PM

Always wear a condom.

him or me?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 10:57 PM

Both, but separate condoms.

Poor Dear Squid, I think he's way too sweet to pick on. I like him just the way he is.

Does anyone know if the event is full already? Someone I know wants to go. I made my reservations weeks ago, so luck for me I am set. Appreciate the help.

Does anyone know if the event is full already? Someone I know wants to go. I made my reservations weeks ago, so luck for me I am set. Appreciate the help.

I made reservations yesterday afternoon - they should call quickly.
see ya there

R

Yaay! can't wait till this sat! :)

Weeg and I made reservations ages ago!

T

OK Folks....

If you haven't made reservations yet and are planning on going, best to get on the stick. The people at Kona are telling me that we are pretty darn near full, so don't delay. Over 250 pieces of Squidom will be on display in that little island paradise you all know and love, : The Hidden Village.

Now that it's been blessed, the mana is all good and as it should be - TIKI FILLED.

Between the Mugs, Models, 2-D art, TIKIYAKI Music, an awesome spread of Grub and Grog, this show will be one to remember.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and rockin' the house.

S
squid posted on Thu, Sep 18, 2008 1:31 AM

Looks like this is really taking shape! A lot of folks are pitching in to make this a fun-filled evening. Every time we think the list of squid stuff is complete.....another item pops up and gets covered by someone. Mahalos in advance for all the hard work these folks are doing!!!

Thanks to Marty Lush, everyone who attends will get a souvenir program with a squidstuff spotting guide and other completely useless information.

I will also have some stuff for sale at the event:

2 new pendants that debuted at Tiki Oasis 8.

Marcel Moai $20

Kona Kahuna $25

3 new prints done in conjunction with Bai!

"Psychotica" Limited edition of 20. 12 x 16 image Giclee on watercolor paper $70. 8 x 10 matted mini print $20.

"Last Call at Voodoo Village" Limited edition of 20. 15 x 15 image Giclee on watercolor paper $70. 12 x 12 matted mini print $20.

And just released at Tiki Magazine's Planet Rooth show...

"The Spirit Keepers" Limited edition of 20. 12 x 16 image Giclee on watercolor paper $70. 8 x 10 matted mini print $20.

PLUS a new original with Bai! (Photos to come...)

And a surprise from Skinny Dog Designs!

And maybe some more stuff that you'll like. So be sure to visit Hiphipahula and see what she's got stashed at the vending table.

See ya there!

mmmm...squidsnax!

[ Edited by: squid 2008-09-18 09:29 ]

I think I'm gonna be sick; my brain can't handle all these Squidlicious works (new and old) in one place.

I am finally breathing a massive sigh of relief. The mug wrangling is complete.

I'd like to give a huge thank you to all of the kind folks who are so generously loaning pieces of their collections in support of Squid's show.

Bongofury
Bora Boris
dibroc
kingstiedye
MakeDaMug
ron-tiki
Trader Tom

Between all of us, we have been able to come up with every single mug that Squid designed, co-designed or sculpted over the past eight years that has gone into production.

In addition to all the mugs, there will be all sorts of other wacky things that Squid has designed: magnets, coasters, bathroom accessories, candle holders, lamps, ashtrays... I could go on and on, but I won't. You'll just have to come out to Kona to see it all for yourselves which is most certainly preferable to listening to me ramble about my love of ceramics. Better start cleaning out my soap dispenser now.

H

Looks like I can make this one, see you all there tomorrow.

Cant wait for this show- should be one great event.Congrads to Squid!!
It's about time he start getting the recognition he deserves .
See you all there.
Cheers,
Trader Bill

CA

Dang'git!! i'll be APEing up North....... wish i was there in a big way

SCREW IRAs!!! BUY CrazyAL!!!! Oct 18th!!

oh ya... AND SQUID TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! SATURDAY!!!
always a good investment.

Go Squid Go!

a fitting showcase and tribute to the James Brown of Tiki mugs!

HEY! Take me to the kiln! HAYAAAAH!
Get UP-AH! Get Down!and drive that funky Clay!

sorry,that was my best JB imitation...

Anyways...wouldn't miss this for the world!
Dave's finally gettin the long-overdue props he deserves!

anyone up for a Squid Celebrity Roast in the future?
hmmmmm?

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 1:24 PM

On 2008-09-19 10:16, little lost tiki wrote:
Dave's finally gettin the long-overdue props he deserves!

You mean SQUID sculpted all those mugs for TIKIFARM?! GROG thought it was a trained monkey in the back room! Oh wait a minute....it was SQUID, so it pretty much WAS a trained monkey.

anyone up for a Squid Celebrity Roast in the future?

Fried Calamari coming right up.

P.S. Love ya SQUID!

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-09-19 13:25 ]

the EYES have it!

SHENANIGANS!

On 2008-09-18 01:31, squid wrote:
Looks like this is really taking shape! A lot of folks are pitching in to make this a fun-filled evening. Every time we think the list of squid stuff is complete.....another item pops up and gets covered by someone. Mahalos in advance for all the hard work these folks are doing!!!

Thanks to Marty Lush, everyone who attends will get a souvenir program with a squidstuff spotting guide and other completely useless information.

I will also have some stuff for sale at the event:

2 new pendants that debuted at Tiki Oasis 8.

Marcel Moai $20

Kona Kahuna $25

3 new prints done in conjunction with Bai!

"Psychotica" Limited edition of 20. 12 x 16 image Giclee on watercolor paper $70. 8 x 10 matted mini print $20.

"Last Call at Voodoo Village" Limited edition of 20. 15 x 15 image Giclee on watercolor paper $70. 12 x 12 matted mini print $20.

And just released at Tiki Magazine's Planet Rooth show...

"The Spirit Keepers" Limited edition of 20. 12 x 16 image Giclee on watercolor paper $70. 8 x 10 matted mini print $20.

PLUS a new original with Bai! (Photos to come...)

And a surprise from Skinny Dog Designs!

And maybe some more stuff that you'll like. So be sure to visit Hiphipahula and see what she's got stashed at the vending table.

See ya there!

mmmm...squidsnax!

I WILL be peddling the fantastic art works and SquidStuff by Squid & Bai at the vending table so Please stop by say Aloha & have a look! Be first on the block to own some of the FIRST Squid & Bai stuff before it's gone and say "I bought this back when" I bet you will even be able to have Squid & Bai personally sign your collectibles! See ya There!

It's really coming together now. The mugs are gathered, the Field Guides are being printed, and today Ron and dibroc did a great job assembling the display shelves that Ron designed.

Here's how we found the Hidden Village.

The assembly process.

I got to use the pneumatic stapler.

Nearly finished...

Can't wait to see them covered with mugs. :)

T

OH MY TIKI GODS!!! This is gonna be tikin' awesome!

Can't wait for this event to start!!! We're gonna take a trip to the Enchanted Tiki Room this afternoon to whet our tiki appetite for tonite!!!

WooHoo! Count down...approximately 3 1/2 more hours :) The Soccer Tiki Grotto is now OPen to anyone who would like to stop by for a "Cold One " before going to Kona's (We will be leaving at 5:30) pm for address.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-09-20 15:41 ]

S
squid posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2008 4:01 AM

Just getting in after packing mugs and tearing down displays! WOW! All I can say is WOW!!!! First of all, I apologize for not being able to spend more time chatting. Pulling musician AND prom queen duty kinda cuts down on the social time. So don't think your presence was not appreciated if we didn't get to yack. I had a blast and was really touched at the amount of folks who were there. And classy ones too! Nothing broken or stolen. I was blown away looking at all the stuff I have done in the past 8 years at one place. I really had no idea.

Now the big mahalos:

ron-tiki: Holy crap man! The displays were over the top. Just beautiful and sturdy enough to tap dance on. If anyone wants them, they are outside of Kona and free for the taking. Ron was lender of a big chunk of the mugs to boot.

dibroc: Always there for whatever needs to be done and then some. I owe you some light bulbs. Be sure to buy some patented Dibroc Brand Special Tiki Mug Quake Putty in the handy 1 gallon bucket.

GROG: Came early, stayed late. Unpacked and packed like a madman and made pretty little number cards. Now if he can only learn to animate...and return my damn chisels.

Sabu the Coconut Boy: Came late, stayed late. Packed stuff. Moved stuff. Hauled stuff. Hasn't kicked me out yet.

Hiphipahula: Vending wizard of the west. Cal Worthington got nuthin' on the Hipster! I think she even sold one of my old socks to Big Toe. He needed some cover...

Marty Lush (digitiki): Program producer extraordinaire. Them was beautiful! Now get off the booze!!!!!

And... TA DA!...Tiki-Kate, the Mistress of Mugs. I still don't know how she managed to organize and research it all PLUS loan that many mugs. I guess sleep is not an option. Just AMAZING... GOLD STAR!!!!

Tikiyaki Orchestra: OK maybe I'm a little partial but I think the entertainment was top notch. I'm really fortunate to play with these guys. And they bathe regularly which is nice.

Security!: Hinano Paul only had to kill 3 people with his bare hands. The tazer worked just fine on the rest of 'em.

Ruzic and Toe: Easel, shmeasel. :) Thanks lads.

And all y'all who made long and/or dangerous journeys to be there. Humu, Bowannnnaaaaahhhh, Mr and Mrs Babalu, Headhunter, Carrie (sp?). Please drive safe.

And Bai- You make the most beautiful things from my scribbles. :)

Squid fried. Fried squid. G'night.

Bravo!

Awesome!

Wow!

congrats again Squid,
and to all that put the night together.
just an awesome evening if art/mugs music and good people.

oh and Tiki Trav was there too, geeez I thought that guy was supposed to be gone already. go on, get, outta here, stop talking about leaving, and
go already, sheesh.
no seriously, great nite all around.

and Tikiyaki, what hasn't been said about them,
just amazing. I want to curl up in a hammock with a rum drink and just zone out when they play.
great show boys.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last night truly was a great night for Tiki. Between the amazing and well-deserved Squid retrospective (including a field guide for everyone!), the food, atmosphere, wonderful people and... The Tikiyaki Orchestra (who were AMAZING!)... well, I'm on sensory overload. Worth the scary drive down. (Yep, I'm the one whose car was one of EIGHT (!) that got its tire destroyed by a frickin' giant chunk of metal bouncing around the 405 (just before the Seal Beach exit). If you can't tell, I'm still a little traumatized. But I thank everyone who listened politely to my sob story when I FINALLY arrived, and Soccer Tiki and Whoohoo for putting a Mai Tai in my hand immediately. It worked wonders. Also, I think last night convinced Hassan Headhunter Patterson that "Californy is the place he oughta be" -- that's how impactful it was.

When I got home last night, I finally read Squid's "liner notes" in his field guide. Plus his lovely thank you message here in Tiki Central. I had NO idea, Squid, what a funny wordsman you are! (But just so you know, my name's spelled "Kari". I know, I know... it's Norwegian...).

Seeing all those mugs displayed together made me realize why I enjoy collecting them. Tiki mugs really are contemporary works of functional ceramic art. Whether they're massed-produced or limited editions, they are full of personality and, often, a lot of the personality of the sculptor. Sure, they may not be making some big artistic "high-brow" statement, but they do say "let's have fun". And I believe that's a worthy goal in art, too. Thank you, Squid! And thank you to everyone who helped put this evening together!

S

Thanks KARI :)! Glad you made it back safely. Sum day I wil lurn 2 spel.

GT

Very Cool Squid, Dani and I had a fantastic time! All I can say is Wow! If I only had half your talent! Mahalo! Gogo

Aloha Everyone !

Great night again at Kona. Thanx to the TC Ohana for always showing us a great time.

Congratz to Squid for a SPEC-frikken-TACULAR showing of mugs and art.

That showing of mugs actually needs a museum/gallery display that is available to see for more than one night, not only because of the amount of work put into to it, but for the sheer volume of mugs on display. Crazy !

To all the people on the Squid list who put this together...BRAVO !

Thanx to Hiphipahula for minding the store. You rule !

Mr and Mrs Mongoloid, Mahalo for the great gift. I Love it !

Kari - That's a scary story. Glad you made it safe and sound.

Big Mahalos to the band, for, as usual, doing a tremendous job...are these guys the shizzle or what ? (kids, did I say that right?)

On a different note :

I'd like apologize for all the seating problems. Some things are just beyond our control, and no matter how much I try, at the end of the day, I'm just the guy in the band, and there's only so much I can do. I hope you all still had a good time.

So, if you lost your seat, got seated in a bad spot (is there actually such a thing in Kona - especially in the Hidden Village ?) or made a reservation (and paid) only to be told that there were no tables left, I'm really sorry about that, it was beyond our control. We all Love Kona, but let's face it, they still have operational issues to work out. Once again, we hit Kona like a Tsunami and things got crazy.

I thought the food was pretty darn good tho'

Looks like we're going to have to re-evaluate the show situation there. As you have probably figured out by now, The T.O. likes to have more than just a "gig"...we like to have an "event" - a real party - something to remember. So we try to go the extra mile, and let's face it, the Tiki Artists need the support, and putting live Exotica together with Tiki art is a perfect match. Add in some Mai tais, and great tiki environment, and voila....it's a good time.

So, thanx again, everyone. Hopefully we'll see you all on Oct 18th at the Crazy Al Tenth Anniversary Event at Bahooka. Crazy Al, Tikiyaki, and more Fishtanks than you'll ever see in one place !

Thanks, Tikiyaki! I made it home safely, even with a lame-looking spare tire. But, seriously, your band is... well, I don't know if 'shizzizzle" (whatever!) is a good enough psuedo-adjective. You guys are TERRIFIC. TOP-NOTCH. You'd make Martin Denny smile. And you showed us all a hell of a good time. I can't wait for your next cd. Hope to see you around our Burbank 'hood.

Mucho Mahalos to Everyone who helped put this event together. Kona's was packed from wall to wall. I know everyone had a Tiki-rrific time :)

Wow that looks like the show was amazing! I keep telling myself I need to start attending more TC events, but my schedule never seems to work out right! Well, at least my weekend had some tiki in it. I went up to the Bahooka for the first time in about 8 years and I was able to finally check out that tiki show at the Museum in Forest Lawn up in Glendale. The tough thing was driving back to Oceanside... especially passing up the exit that takes you to Kona.

Hopefully more picks will be posted! Squid's work is amazing. It seriously makes me want to find time to take a ceramics class or something.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2008 2:49 PM

GROG enjoy seeing everybody at Kona (not KONA'S Woohoo, the 's makes it possessive). The artwork and the sheer amount of it was awesome Squidster--you are definitely one 'poorlific' artist. And, apparently you do have eyes. GROG check when GROG was near.

All the people who put this together (and took it down) did an awesome job. Several hours of unpacking and shelf removal and you never would've known there had been such an awesome display just a few hours previous.

Tikiyaki sounded great, the food was good, and the all the people showed up for this were the best.

Tiki-Kate, Ron Senso, John Corbid, Holden and Squid, you guys were amazingly brave lending your mugs and art for this event, especially since GROG have sticky fingers. Hopefullly all the art and mugs arrived home safely. It was a good thing the security confiscated the slingshot from Ruzic before they let him in.

[ Edited by: grog 2008-09-21 22:04 ]

WOW! What an event at The Kona! I had a blast!(and got severly hammered thanks to Danny the bartender!)

It was nice to see some people I met at The 1st Annual LA Tiki Crawl at this event(Hi Eric O. & Jeff-the nice man who saved my place in line at the buffet).

Looking foward to meeting and talking to more of you here on the forum!

You can see me in two of the pics that WooHoo Wahine took. I'm in pic #16(the couple in the back, infront of the closed doors) and pic #26 (the lush at the bar in the black & white dress!)hehehehehehe.

Mary

Good show, Good music, Good time, Thanks everybody!

GROG looked like he was having a very good time.

Even Tiki Trav was tolerable.

Just want to add a quick CONGRATS to Squid for a well deserved honoring of your craft. BRAVO, SIR! Sounds like the The Tikiyaki Orchestra broke all their legs they were so heavy last night- no surprise there. By the by, Bai- nice lid; Deb says "blue looks cool on you." Cheers to all involved & Dave, we'll make it down for you're 9th retrospective celebration!

-Me & the Mrs.

B

On 2008-09-21 04:01, squid wrote:
Bowannnnaaaaahhhh

Squiiiiiiiiiiddddd!

Well, at least we were able to give a wave to each other from a distance. That's what happens when you are the Belle of the Ball, ya know Dave. I did however manage to spend a few minutes with your better half. Hopefully we'll see you at Babalu's studio next month for more clay hi-jinx.

Great show! Nice job everyone!

Bowana

Great show and fun time.

S

OOHH! nic pix! I see all you kids were up to no good while I was distracted. Detention for everyone!!!

Anyone get a shot of that cheesecake that Liz made??? MMMMMMMMMMMM....That alone was worth all the effort of putting this one together. Thanks Liz! Please post the recipe!!!!!!!!

B

What a Show! I would travel triple the distance I did on Saturday just to see it again. Very well organized all - BRAVO! The work looked killer. Talk about sensory overload...jeez. You the man Squid!

SQUIDDLES!

Great event,Great band,and Great display!
That's a lotta breakables!
Congrats man!
A Retrospective/tribute for you was long Overdue!
It was so great seeing so many Ohana
packed to the gills at KONA!
Other hi-lights....
All those HUGS! :)
seeing Liz and her cheesecake! mmmmmmm!
BooBen putting mashed taters on GROG's head
the wiping it clean
and licking Ernie's bald pate...
Sensual,in a disturbing kind of way....
Gettin some face-time with Hassan
what a nice guy!
Move out here...NOW!
Also got to take a gander at BigToe's
unwashed feet he was proudly displaying...
3 Years of neglect and going strong!
and Thanks KahunaKent for the Zombie mug!
Also Happy Birthday Mariah!
She was one of two ladies at our table who
popped down from LA just to experience the TO and see Squid's handiwork...
They were in awe of the scene....
great night!
Way to go Squid!!!!
i keep thinking of that SQUID BAI collaboration drawing
with that cute lil menehune!
:)
Mad Props-well deserved....

I had a wonderful time, the food was tasty, the drinks yummy, the company great, the music amazing and Squid, well I just love him, I think he is such a nice guy and so creative and so deserved this night just for him. Cheers for Squid!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 22, 2008 9:12 AM

It was mousse Kinny, not mashed taters.

Top notch all around! Squid that damn vending booth made my pockets alot lighter but can wait for November to receive my treasures! Marty Lush solid performance roasting Squid my favorite line from the night "This man has so much class he gets out of the shower to pee" the one liners were classic. The mug display was beyond impressive, i definately felt like a kid in a candy shop constantly changeing my mind of which one was my favorite. The food was excellent, the shredded Kalua pig was phenomenal, Tikiyaki was at the top of their game and i was stoked to hear a new track off the upcoming album. When are we doing this again??

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies