Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is Oceanic Arts Ever Going to Have a Real Website?

Pages: 1 30 replies

How many years has it said that their site is under construction?
C'mon guys wake up, smell the coffee and join the 21st century.

Maybe one of our number can offer them an offer they can't refuse to get it done at long last?

http://www.bambooben.com

Like father

Like son!

To be honest with you...I think they have been doing just fine without one!!

For someone like me who lives waaaayyy over on the east coast (Pittsburgh), I agree that it would be nice to browse their wares online. It's legendary and I'd probably need to get a 2nd mortgage...but it's kinda hard to see what they're selling when hoping a plane to Cali for a shopping trip isn't realistic.

On 2008-08-24 19:07, The Sperm Whale wrote:
To be honest with you...I think they have been doing just fine without one!!

Bingo!

They pretty much have everything you need, so all you really need to do is call 'em.

But I agree, I'd love to see a functional website for Oceanic Arts, if only for the photos.

Speaking of which, here are some I took in June:

Hooray!

G

They do have a printed catalog. It's a bit old, but they update the price list from time to time. Just give them a call. But you have to understand that a website is probably never going to show you what they currently have in stock. I'm sure that changes all the time. So if they do ever update their website, it would most likely just be an online brochure with some pictures of the inside of the store and maybe some standard stock items. You would still need to call them if you're looking for that certain something. And hey, if you call them, you might get to talk to Bob. And that's always a pleasure.

Bob and Leroy contacted me some time ago and asked if I would do something for them, which I did, here:

http://www.cosmicassociates.com/oceanicarts.htm

Bob is happy with it (he also tells me he's a big YoYo Island fan), but always says he's too busy to add all the new pictures he says they've been shooting. I spoke with him earlier today and we talked about maybe finally getting the files transferred to his server, or arranging for a re-direct from OA's current url, and that looks like it may be happening sometime this Fall. I hope also to add a few more interesting features to the site, highlighting Bob and Leroy's history and adventures.

I'll post here as things develop.

SOK

If you could post some prices, we could have a winner.
Looks promising.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 6:01 AM

When I mentioned it to them, they just said they were way too busy already.

Call them an dget a catalog. Then call them with your order.

Thanks CT,

Bob says he's got more catalog pictures, and we talked about getting together to get them posted soon. He's also told me some wonderful 'tales of the South Pacific' that I really would like to include in their site (e.g., Bob's '04 visits to Western Samoa, Sava'ii, The Cook Islands, Roratonga, "Taha'iti", and more, including R.L. Stevenson's gravesite) -- a real adventure to be sure, and some 120 pics to select from. I've been trying to persuade him to consider sharing them with everyone, but anyone who knows Bob knows he's not one to pursue pompous celebrity. The staff there is also lobbying for the expanded website, so we'll see if we can really get the url & expanded content issues worked out this Oct/Nov.

Cheers,
SOK

B

Joomla!

On 2008-08-24 16:23, christiki295 wrote:
How many years has it said that their site is under construction?
C'mon guys wake up, smell the coffee and join the 21st century.

Maybe one of our number can offer them an offer they can't refuse to get it done at long last?

Did anyone every offer to help them out?

Click here:

Be sure to check out the client installs and the "about OA" history page. Congrats guys, looking great!

Holy crap! This is great! Anything that helps keep these guys "relevant" and therefore in business is positive news.

I do hope they'll still sell the printed catalogue at the store though, it's a one of a kind item, just like Oceanic Arts.

Wow. A real website.
Nicely done.

D
Dagg posted on Thu, May 22, 2014 5:03 PM

this just made my day :)

Oh MAN. The second this has pricing and a way to order, I am going to be B R O K E.

On 2014-05-22 19:11, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Oh MAN. The second this has pricing and a way to order, I am going to be B R O K E.

Ha! Well said.

This just made my night. Such amazing work.

I'm going to have fun perusing thru this over the holiday weekend, but must avoid doing so with a drink in hand to avoid impulse purchases... :)

FM

The great thing is that you can go to OA and actually see Leroy in the back carving. Wide open door to the workshop where you see the maestro at work.

That's great to hear. Let's hope Leroy has an understudy and that he's able to pass his skill along to someone else.

Oceanic Arts is mentioned in the June edition of Sunset Magazine. There is an article on an Orange County home with a lush tropical yard and in their backyard pavilion they have a large OA light fixture.

Wonderful website...it is fun and easy to navigate. I better hide my credit card!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!! Great website. Happy for the guys that this came along. :D

T

We went there several weeks ago for the third time & bought another piece from Leroy. They mentioned the new web site & I'm positive this will jump their sales big time. Congrats!

Can we order yet? Can we order yet? Can we order yet? Can we order yet? Can we order yet? Can we order yet?

:D

P

Wow, big upgrade! Now if they were only open a little longer on Saturdays!

(Of course if it were me, I would also limit working on the weekend.)

: )

On 2014-05-24 07:56, PabTiki wrote:
Wow, big upgrade! Now if they were only open a little longer on Saturdays!

Agreed.

Also, the price list is still lacking from their website.

They're old school. Dial them up and talk to them. :wink:

You mean you have to use your hands?!

Not sure would have been a dealbreaker for them to not have a page since many small places that do have them do not run an ecommerce site on them and usually forget to update them.

Pages: 1 30 replies