Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island Cocktail Competition! WINNER PAGE 3!!!

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

M

Aloha!

Forbidden Island is pleased to announce its first ever Customer Cocktail Competition! Now is your chance to gain an incredibly small amount of fame and glory and have your cocktail featured on our Fall Cocktail Specials menu! So get to work and craft your masterpiece:

Rules:
-All recipes must be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 12:00PM PDT September 12th for consideration.
-All recipes should be expressed in ounces, (or fractions of ounces), dashes, or drops. No hot drinks.
-Include detailed instructions including preparation (e.g. shaken/stirred/blended), name, garnish, and glassware.
-Any spirit category is eligible- you don’t have to mix with rum, and no preference will be given to any particular base spirit.
-Spirits selected should be of appropriate quality, but not over the top. In other words, recipes calling for $200-a-bottle cognac will have other ingredients substituted.
-Seasonal & local products are always preferred. We can supply just about anything, however things like “pickled turkey gizzards” will be disqualified.
-JUDGING: The top ten finalists will be selected by Martin, and then prepared and tasted blindly by our panel of judges- the Forbidden Island Staff. They will know what the name of the drink is and the ingredients but not whose recipe it is.
-Grand Prize will be a Forbidden Island Gift Card, and of course your name on the specials menu. Plus the satisfaction that comes with “a job well done.”
-Contest is open to members of our exclusive email list and readers of Tiki Central. It will help if we’ve seen your face in the bar at least once.

There’s no time to lose! Get crackin’!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: martiki 2008-09-17 13:08 ]

man I would love to be on the staff that day.

ok when are you guys going to Open up a So. Cal. version of F.I.?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I am In!

After getting tofu a 2nd place in the appetizer contest I'm ready to take it up a notch or two......

J

Is there a limit to the number of recipes one person can submit?

On 2008-08-27 10:21, bigtikidude wrote:

ok when are you guys going to Open up a So. Cal. version of F.I.?

Shortly after he opens the Sacramento branch of F.I.

M

On 2008-08-27 11:22, JenTiki wrote:
Is there a limit to the number of recipes one person can submit?

nope!

2 ounces tonic water
1 ounce vodka
Squeeze of lime juice

Add ice. Garnish with lime wedge.

OK where do I claim my prize? :wink:

MT

I'm in.
Mahalo.
-Bill

I don;t know if they have a rule about what booze is allowed or not allowed,
but being that its a tiki bar, I'm assuming that rum based would be better suited drink sir.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-08-27 15:26, Jason Wickedly wrote:
2 ounces tonic water
1 ounce vodka
Squeeze of lime juice

On 2008-08-27 19:58, bigtikidude wrote:
but being that its a tiki bar, I'm assuming that rum based would be better suited drink sir.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-08-27 15:26, Jason Wickedly wrote:
2 ounces tonic water
1 ounce vodka
Squeeze of lime juice

Yeah but have you ever had a rum and tonic? Nasty!

But seriously, this is awesome, I just wish I was creative enough to come up with a decent drink that hasn't been made before. I'll just have to live vicariously through you creative folks. So get to mixing!

On 2008-08-27 19:58, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Any spirit will be allowed...

RULE #4:
Any spirit category is eligible- you don't have to mix with rum, and no preference will be given to any particular base spirit.

As for JW, use your "recipe" as a base to start; be inspired to add other flavors. You might end up surprising yourself.

S

Any spirit will be allowed...

The aloha spirit... it's kind of like love. The secret ingredient. You know, the one that blows up robots.

:wink:

Suzanne

(In all seriousness, though, this contest is awesome! Can't wait to see the results!)

Okay, I'm In. Before I started working on the drink for the Oasis I was working on a drink called "The Serpent's Kiss".

One question, is there a particular number of ounces you'd like the drink submissions?
If we could get an idea of a minimum or maximum that would be great.

I'm in too. Hmmmmm, now to get mixin' and find some local victims for testing the concoction. :drink:

Humm maybe , However.

What's the value of that gift card ?

It might get me a little more motivated.

On 2008-08-28 12:52, princessP wrote:

Humm maybe , However.

Oh poo for the gift card -- think of the fame, glory, and immortality of having your name on the FI's menu. 50 years from now, people will be finding/buying the "Old" drink menu from FI in garage sales and/or ebay and doing research on who and what was what was in those "tiki drinks" from the cool old tiki bar down the street.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Aug 28, 2008 1:44 PM

"50 years from now, people will be finding/buying the "Old" drink menu from FI in garage sales and/or ebay and doing research on who and what..."

Actually, 50 years from now we'll all have direct web-to-brain jacks that'll access Google's 'Universal Print' feature, which will retrieve all the written information ever printed, with 758 different language & dialect translators. You'll be able to overlay this information in 3D via permanent pixel lenses that will actually place you in any environment from any era, recreating the Tiki Bars of the past around you for a small monthly fee.

Details Schmeetails, this contest is cool!

I am already the 1st name on the wall of the Kill Devil Club that almost killed me.

I don't need my name on a drink menu to prove to myself that I need to go to AA.

So yeah, If I am going to spend even more of my time and money for FI I would like to know how much it would be worth.

J

On 2008-08-28 14:03, princessP wrote:

I am already the 1st name on the wall of the Kill Devil Club that almost killed me.

I don't need my name on a drink menu to prove to myself that I need to go to AA.

So yeah, If I am going to spend even more of my time and money for FI I would like to know how much it would be worth.

Yeah! What she said! (Although I'm only the 4th name on the wall.)

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Aug 28, 2008 7:17 PM

OK, so Prinsess and Jen are OUT of the GAME!

YAY!!!! That means more of a chance for crummy drink mixers like ME!!!!!

(Cheekygirl is gonna win anyway; she's like Samantha the Witch behind the bar - pure magic.)

M

On 2008-08-28 09:46, CheekyGirl wrote:
Okay, I'm In. Before I started working on the drink for the Oasis I was working on a drink called "The Serpent's Kiss".

One question, is there a particular number of ounces you'd like the drink submissions?
If we could get an idea of a minimum or maximum that would be great.

No minimum or max, but generally between 1 to 4 oz of spirits.

M

Humm maybe , However.

The gift card is good for one pint of Pabst and a firm handshake!

On 2008-08-28 22:55, martiki wrote:

Humm maybe , However.

Pabst is my brew. Now I'm in! Instead of a handshake though, can I just get a "good game" slap on the okole(preferably from a female staff member)?

M

On 2008-08-29 08:05, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:

On 2008-08-28 22:55, martiki wrote:

Humm maybe , However.

Pabst is my brew. Now I'm in! Instead of a handshake though, can I just get a "good game" slap on the okole(preferably from a female staff member)?

Yes. Just for you, Mr. Rachel.

On 2008-08-28 19:17, Cammo wrote:
OK, so Prinsess and Jen are OUT of the GAME!

YAY!!!! That means more of a chance for crummy drink mixers like ME!!!!!

(Cheekygirl is gonna win anyway; she's like Samantha the Witch behind the bar - pure magic.)

Cam, thanks for the vote of confidence, but there are a LOT of magicians and talent out there!

I was over Hiltiki's house last night with a big box of booze, syrups and juices. She even whipped up a batch of fresh infused syrup (which one--I'm not telling). She was my taste tester last night. I'm still working out the right mix of flavors and textures. :)

Totally not a cocktail aficionado here...but my entry has been submitted. :drink:

Great fun.

I'm in. I've sent my entry to the gmail account.

I just get under the wire, by being in your place once. It was a great night, thanks to all for showing up last year, especially on a school night and 2 days before the crawl.

Have fun with the judging.

Just out of curiosity (and because I have an awesome new recipe I've created), is Forbidden Island going to do another "appetizer contest"? I had to miss last year's because of work!

M

On 2008-09-06 18:10, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Just out of curiosity (and because I have an awesome new recipe I've created), is Forbidden Island going to do another "appetizer contest"? I had to miss last year's because of work!

Probably not anytime soon- it was a lot of fun, but turnout was light.

I'll submit my entries tonight -- been a crazy week or so...

2 drinks sent.
Ran

Three submitted. One quite strong, martini-style, guaranteed panty-remover.

One more of a punch, very refreshing, with a milder kick probably better suited to more people (i.e. not hard-core booze hounds).

One long shot, summer drink, great to enjoy on the patio but not so much as fall/winter sets it.

Here's hoping!

Just submitted mine! It's an idea I've had banging around in my head for a while, and this was just the kick in the pants I needed to make it real. It was quite an effort to get this recipe where I wanted it, I'm freshly impressed by those of you who were able to conjure up multiple recipes. This mixology stuff is exactly as tricky as it looks.

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about others' submissions once the contest is over and we can speak freely.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2008-09-11 23:13 ]

J

Just submitted my three recipes. The good news is that even if none of them win, I had a great time creating them, and will continue to enjoy drinking them!

I sent in mine this morning.

Will the 10 finalists get posted? That would be fun.

TikiHula and I sent a couple in.... the incredibly tasty and addictive 'Kauaiian High' and our latest invention the 'Hula Dance'

Woohoo!

B

Am I still drunk from tasting or was there a deadline for entries...four eyes still don't do any good...

M

The deadline was at noon today.

COMPETITION CLOSED!

Some really, really good looking entries, everyone!!

Now it's off to the hard work of narrowing it all down! hic

On 2008-09-12 13:31, martiki wrote:

Now it's off to the hard work of narrowing it all down! hic

So what's the ETA on the announcement of the winner(s)?

Managed to threw in mine at the last minute i think..i had great fun creating the drink and even more imbibing it!

M

Judging is complete!

I will announce the winner soon! Stay tuned....

and yer still alive?
cudos to you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BTD -- hum I wonder if "exercising your tastebuds" counts as "exercise"....

And yes, can't wait to see what the next coctails will be...with Ran amongst others...should be pretty tasty!

M

Well,

After much exhaustive research, I'm prepared to tell you the winner.

First off, thanks so much to all of you who took the time and effort to send in recipes!

Over 45 drink recipes were submitted. So many looked good and had potential, that I couldn't narrow it down to just 10, so I ended up presenting 16 for competition. Lots of original ideas, great ingredients, and great flavor combinations.

Most stuck with some tried and true tiki flavor profiles, with a few notable exceptions showing influence of classic cocktails and contemporary mixology.

Our staff took great pains to carefully analyze each drink closely, often revisiting drinks over and over as they developed. We even remade a few that got too watery in the course of our deliberations. (hic)

So I'm pleased to announce that the winner is....

M

wait for it.....

M

Tiki Central's own Tikiwahine aka Shani from Victoria, Canada!

with her original drink Blackstrap Betty

which, despite its name, understands that Cruzan Blackstrap is best used in small amounts. That, combined with fresh lime, pineapple, and a touch of vanilla and coconut, makes it taste like an instant classic.

Congrats to Tikiwahine!!!!

BUT WAIT! STOP THE PRESSES!!

In the course of our discussion, we thought that several of the runners up were great as well, and so we decided to make the rest of the fall drink specials the next four runners up. So while there is only one winner, we'll be showcasing the rest of the top of the list as well!

And they are....

[ Edited by: martiki 2008-09-17 13:08 ]

M

Corpse Canonizer by Kevin aka paranoid123 (NYC)

a contemporary riff on the Corpse Reviver #2, with gin, orange curacao, St. Germain, lemon, Herbsaint, and Aged bitters.

Gantt's Caipirissima by Craig aka Melintur (Portland, OR)

An ingenious take on the classic featuring some of Don's favorite flavors: grapefruit, cinnamon, and Rhum Agricole.

Golden Monkey Grog by Patrick Callahan (San Diego)

Another tiki-traditional tasting drink, with Allspice, maple, and demerara rum.

Mrs. Howell's Spicy Side by Jen aka JenTiki (Alafuckinmeda, CA)

Spiced Rum, orgeat, allspice, ginger, and more- served on the stem.

Congrats to the runners up!!

Look for all of these drinks to debut on our new drink specials menu, starting September 23rd.

Mahalo again to everyone!

Pages: 1 2 65 replies