Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Look! Up In The Sky, It's...

Pages: 1 17 replies

M
Murph posted on Tue, Sep 23, 2008 3:01 PM

So you're sitting and sipping away on the perfect Mai Tai in a Tiki Lounge of yesteryear or today.
What could you expect to find hanging precariously above your addled head?

[ Edited by: Murph 2008-09-23 15:03 ]

H

Sorry, no rats here.....

Ha ha, I actually have a really old float decanter that has a dead mouse in it. (bought it that way) I guess he liked the bourbon residue in the bottom.

Grog in his house:

Side view. He has his own mug:

Ceiling fan:

On 2008-09-24 09:16, Howland wrote:

I think ive been here is it called the Rikki Tiki Tavi bar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

B

Hey, is that a pet snake or just a "live-in?" Looks like our local garter snakes, but kind of on the pale side. Poor ratty :(

S

While on the one hand the snake pictures bother me, I think there must be a really interesting story there.....

H

On 2008-09-24 16:29, spy-tiki wrote:
While on the one hand the snake pictures bother me, I think there must be a really interesting story there.....

The story: My house is elevated 9' off the ground. It's a code requirement because we're in a coastal flood plain. So I've enclosed the underside of the house and divided it into half workshop and half tiki room. In the tiki room side, their are 2 large insulated ducts coming into the room at the ceiling from the A/C unit against the back of the house. It's wasn't completely sealed until I found the mouse/snake. I had a problem with birds tearing out the duct insulation in the past and nesting there. You couldn't really see the nest hole because it was on top of the duct work, almost against the ceiling. I ran the birds out and patched that up a couple of years ago.

A few weeks ago, I was sweeping in the tiki room and noticed some pieces of insulation on the floor. I swept them up, turned back around a few minutes later and more had fallen out. I figured the birds were back. I got on a step stool for closer investigation and started hearing a shrieking, squealing sound. I ran for a flashlight and shined it up on top of the duct work and saw the snake constricting the mouse. By the time I fetched my camera, the snake was coming out of the duct work and hanging down with with a mouthful of mouse, as seen in the pics.

I got the snake down (he dropped the now dead mouse) and promptly gave them both a new address. The duct work is now re-patched and the small openings around the ducts where they enter the house are now sealed and hopefully, mouse, bird AND snakeproof.

H

On 2008-09-24 15:22, beadtiki wrote:
Hey, is that a pet snake or just a "live-in?" Looks like our local garter snakes, but kind of on the pale side. Poor ratty :(

Oh yeah, it's a Yellow Rat Snake. Common here in the Low Country of SC. I spotted the same (presumably) snake in the neighbors yard, where I relocated him to.

Now back to your regularly scheduled ceiling gazing.

http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

The Curse of Howland Island

[ Edited by: Howland 2008-09-24 19:29 ]

Holy slithering serpent...that is way scary. Most people have a cat/mouse thang...great pics Howland.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2008-09-24 21:03 ]

M

Tiki Ti

Caliente Tropics

Kona Ranch House

this is all i see when i look up!
friggin chemtrails.....

M
Murph posted on Tue, Oct 21, 2008 9:51 PM

Can anything nautical be thrown in the rafters and still be considered Tiki decor?

Throwing the bilge in the rafters is never considered good tiki decor, just bad taste.

Pages: 1 17 replies