Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

new tikiville light fixture therapy ! pg 6

Pages: 1 2 88 replies

ok, thought I'd update this ....reworked some old pieces and added a couple new ones!
THIS ONE IS sold

and this ones still available

the PNG artswap piece ( on a placemat)

and the latest!( my witco copy lol)

my new PNG piece!

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-10-06 11:35 ]

PNG on a placemat ..
you nailed it on that one!
like that a lot!
way to go,Tikiville!

B

T-ville, Your tikis are looking Much better these dasys, Keep up the good work!

Mahalo for the big compliments!
I'm starting to get a rhythm and sense of it , now if I could manage to let go of them so I can earn money to make more!

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-10-06 11:36 ]

HE'S SMILING!
HE'S COMING TO LIFE!

Kool stuff,PNG mask looks great,I think I might
have to get on board the tiki swap next time around.
Cheers Watango

L

PNG stuff is like a drug, when you start a piece you're quickly addict! :lol:

Very good work on the last one Paul!

J.

here is a couple detail shots of the finished piece ( the full shot is above with my other works )
Glad I'm getting a good responce my very limited knowlage of PNG had me a little worried about creating a piece thats WAY off base.
MAHALO! and enjoy,

Tikiville...I love your PNG mask. Nothing to be fearful about, looks to me
like you nailed it. I always get a little nervous about paint too, seems to
be a pretty fine line between just right and all screwed up :)

Great work, T'VILLE!!!
We might have to talk about a piece for my office wall down here in fla.
PM me if yer into it.

Really like that PNG, but its all looking good!

T

Just saw this! That is very cool. How did you figure out the weaving part? Nice work.

T

I got lucky with that ...just did a sort of round and round thing and it worked ( not much of a braider ) Thanks for the compliments !
I used a small teak bowl for this one but soon I will be posting progress on one I'm making for another artist on this forum full 10" >< 14" in size...stay tuned
Mahalo

in the mean time .....

a couple new ones that have been sitting unfinished for far too long,

now back to the one that has been staring at me every morning with that "WELL?" expression...

T

On 2009-10-01 10:50, TIKIVILLE wrote:
in the mean time .....

Nice. I like it. What kind of what is that? It's got some kind of dark spots in it or blemishes that give is a lot of character.

T

That I do not know ,it was in a pile of branches cut for fire wood ...cant be too exotic though it was very light in color before the stain ( maybe birch? poplar? ,it's a small 6" tall .

My latest work ....just started a few months ago lol
This one is allready sold but I just thought I'd share the progress

AND FINALLY!...

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-11-09 11:02 ]

L

Hey Paul!

Thank's to sharing your work! I stay tuned for the finished pics...

J.

T

here is one I made while my laptop was on the fritz...

4" tall!

T

Well the PNG piece is done ( pictures in previous post)
now it's back to work on my masks....unless that log laying on the boulavard finds in way into my back yard

That PNG piece with the cowrie shell eyes is a Bullseye TV!
Nice weathering on it and everything!
BRAVO!

Found this drum ...

so ...

and the legs are gonna ....

I'll post more as I go !
Let me know what ya think ...

T

On 2009-11-04 14:11, TIKIVILLE wrote:
here is one I made while my laptop was on the fritz...

4" tall!

I like this. See, laptop broken, productivity goes up! :P

T

U mean somebody else made the drum?

yup ...found it al a goodwill for 10 bucks ( I think , it was a while ago )

some more I'm chippin at ...( and a drum update)

and here's a final on my necklace

and last nights drum work...

Any comments , sugestions ? what could I do that I'm forgetin ?
I'm trying a bunch of different things lately to try to improve my grasp on this whole carving deal and so I could use some pointers...

is their a drum carving champ on this here dealeo?
who could I learn something from about drums?
do the patterns mean anything ? that sort ...

T

bump.....anybody?

Babs has done the research
Buzzy's carved some
Squid sculpted some
try those kids...

B

Hey, Looking Great! Very nice way to dress up a plain-Jane drum and making it look great. It Might even make it sound a bit better Too!

Thanks!
High praise as far as I'm concerned!
I gotta few nifty things I'm gonna try on it before I throw it in the circle lol
Any tips?

Hey Tikiville:

Here's my step by step process for decorating up the drums. Hope you don't mind all this visual clutter on your thread. If you want me to take it off after you check it out, just let me know.

First I just kind of get a general rough plan sketched out. Nothing too complicated, just enough for me to have an idea where I'm going before I start
this one is just random space filling stuff:

This one tries to suggest a hidden tiki face in the design. Not super apparent, just a subtle hint of an abstract tiki. The goal was to make it hidden until it's pointed out, then my hope is that it will be obvious:

for the bigger drums, I do scale drawings down to the half inch of them before I start. the Tikiyaki drum is in the middle. On the left in this photo are a couple stencils I used for the legs of other drums:

After all the paperwork is done, I do the carving part. I start with a grid of 1" squares over the surface I carve:

The reason I do them in 1" squares is because I do the carving with a 1/2" veiner, as shown in the following picture.

I'll call the space I carve the "positive space" and the uncarved "negative space" for this explanation. I want the + space to be as wide as the - space. The grid helps me keep those ratios consistent. Here I start carving out the design(this is just a quick one I did on some scrap wood for this educational endeavor)

A little more progress:

And still more:

Once I do the whole design with the 1/2" veiner, I take my 1/4" one and make them deeper. I do this because the 1/2 tends to rip out the - space on the palm wood when I try to go deep with it. It's hard for palm to hold detail on the horizontal cuts without breaking off, so I find it's less frustarting to use the two tools to do this. Here's the little veiner next to the first one I used:

Here it is after going over it a second time with the smaller tool:

It's a little messy at this point, so now it's time to clean it up...

for this step I use a hand sanding block:

Here's the surface cleaned and most of the edges softened

Next, I round out the corners with a small rounded gouge:

I just do his by hand like this:

See how they are now round in shape? this helps to reduce the chance of splintering off:

The + space is kind of messy, so the next thing to do is clean it up.

For that, I wrap sand paper around an emery board and sand away. this part will give you many under the fingernail splinter experiences:

Here it is after a real qiuck cleanup

In this picture,you can see all the defects and different tones in the wood surface. It still looks "messy", even though it's clean and smooth:

Those scars just left of center are from the tree service guy's spikes as he climbed up and down the tree.

All that mess kind of disappears and brings the design forward when you add a little stain to it:

If this was a real piece I was working on, I would sand it by hand with emery boards until it was perfectly smooth. I feel it has to be so clean, that there is no chance that a splinter will break off of it when it is handled by the user. to me, that's a very important consideration. drums are differnt in that they will be used and touched, unlike a tiki that just sits there for decoration

Here's the little one I just finished to show the quality of finishing on it. this drum is real small, so I used the 1/4" veiner on it with an even smaller one for the second pass:

it's hard to make out, but if you look close, you can see that I carved two tiki faces back to back on this one. In the center of this shot, you can the ear of each one and one of each of thier eyes on the outer edge

Here's a straight on view of one of the faces:

once again, not a straight up tiki by design, but rather just the suggestion of tiki face features

Hope that helps!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-01-06 18:31 ]

buzzy!!! very cool stuff!! that little finished drum is AWSOME!!! you have an awsome style and ur work shows me i have lots to learn!! beautiful carvin buzzy!! cheerz!!

T

YES!, see a true master is always willing to share his knowlage, thank you !
This is definatly the answer to some of my questions, now hands and knees in the laundry room and back at it ...

T

That tutorial is pure gold.

Finished this little fella last night ....now to finish that drum!

S

Right on looking good.

well, the drum got sidetracked AGAIN !
and while waiting for the distraction of my MUG SWAP
I flipped out and went light crazy...
this is the float lights and stuff that I made for the hut,

this one was old hat! lol

who knew string could be so therapudic!?

K

Nice work! I want to try to make some of those float lamps, but the tying looks tricky to me.

not so tricky , as long as you have something to keep the spaces even ,
enough string and aren't rattled by the repetition ( and there is alot of it ) lol
Actually kinda fun to start something and finish it on the same night

Pages: 1 2 88 replies