Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ultimate Tiki Halloween Costume

Pages: 1 14 replies

How to build the ultimate Tiki Halloween costume step by step with pictures. How cool is this?

http://mauitikitours.com/halloween.html

That's not bad at all. I wonder how heavy it was? I'd probably have to have a waist-belt 9to go along with the shoulder straps) if I made one.

And I 'm glad he didn't paint big tiki teeth onto the face screen. :P

Nice costume! I recognize the mug at the top of the webpage, MauiTiki is one of our TC members.

L

Oh my god, amazing! I mean, it would take you about five million years to complete the costume and when you do, it would probably be way too heavy for you to even be able to wear it, but just in case you eventually decide to actually wear this for a day, I’m sure all your friends would be very surprised and quite impressed as well. Might try it actually if I have A LOT of time before the 31st of October.

Wow...those are really great. Excellent construction and I agree, seems like you would need some good support on the inside. Would love to see those 3 dancing on the stage at the next Oasis.

Be the life of the party! Very cool, I have seen a lot of bad attempts at Halloween Tiki costumes, but these are actually not that far off in concept from the authentic Papua New Guinea dance costumes I show in this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30080&forum=2&6

K

I recognize Ollie on the left:

And Jerry on the right:

But who's the guy in the middle?

My vote is on Satchmo.

I

It would be cool to raise one of the tiki arms a bit, and to mold the hand into a cup-holder shape, so it can hold a mai-tai glass. Use a long straw to feed into the tiki's mouth, that will then lead into your mouth inside.

I imagine the tiki might be burdensome to carry, and you'll be wanting to sip on something good throughout the night. Add a small sign, saying 'Keep this glass filled' and you might be set for the night.

I found in the past that large carnival puppet costumes and booze don't mix, as its quite easy to forget the 20 foot tall papermachie monster strapped to you when your drunk. But mostly its quite tricky getting to the toilet, either finding a toilet with a high enough ceiling or hiding behind bushes.

Consider the problems for the poor Burry Man of Queensferry...

...completely covered in prickly burrs and fed by every house hold a teaspoon of whiskey, eventually he has to go to the toilet and how dose he go to the toilet, Why CAREFULLY of course.

Hahaha! Yeah! That's awesome! You'd be the life of the party with that thing on, but really couldn't go too far.

Is anyone planning their own tiki-type costume for Halloween this year? I was thinking about putting together a voodoo priest costume and serving up zombies on the 31st.

Also, at a local costume shop down in San Diego, I found two different styled tiki rubber masks. They were pretty cheap (only covering the front of your face) but for 10 bucks, they were still pretty cool. I'll try and post a picture if I find them again.

On 2008-10-15 12:12, Easter Island Elvis wrote:
You'd be the life of the party with that thing on, but really couldn't go too far.

Actually, in a costume like that you stand still and act like a statue. Then you made sudden moves and scare the crap out of people :lol:

Anyone trying to build one from my directions? I hope I didn't post those directions for nothing!

The costume weighs less than my 11 year old's back pack. It's maybe 15 pounds and wears like a backpack. It's very comfortable and I have worn it for hours without any real discomfort. My hands hold onto the PVC pipe so I can rock it back and fourth and swish the skirt around. Inside there is a fan and a beer holder!

Yes it's hard to get into the bars and restaurants because it's 9 feet tall, but in Lahaina we spend all our time in the streets.

While standing next to this Hula Girl statue several people thought I was part of the display. At one point during the evening I even had a tourist lean up against me thinking I was a permanent fixture.

It's on display in the corner of my office (see photo). the other two I built I sold to a local restaurant for display.

Happy Halloween!

J

On 2008-10-16 12:12, MauiTiki wrote:
Anyone trying to build one from my directions? I hope I didn't post those directions for nothing!

The costume is amazing? I'm just curious... how long did it take you to make one? I would love to be able to make one, but I seriously doubt that I have the artistic talent to make one that looks half-way decent (let alone one that looks as great as yours). It seems pretty difficult!

Pages: 1 14 replies