Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Restaurants • The Big Ten • Middle of the Night update for DC!

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

On 2008-11-28 08:17, Ojaitimo wrote:
Yes Kate they had two signature mugs, glassware, dinner ware, postcards, lighters, etc.
Bongo Fury has one of the mugs, Bosko has a coffee cup as do I, as for serving ware I'm on a quest to find some.

Awesome. I've got a matchbook, and the swizzle is fabulous. Can't wait to see pix of the mugs and serveware at some point.

B

Here is the mug courtesy of Dogbytes....

I have a slim matchbook similar to the one Bosko posted with the Chinese Junk that was out front by the pond. I can't find it now but I think it mentioned "Exotic Tropical Drinks" on the inside. That swizzle is cool.

The Mai Kai had some great mugs and these plates

And a coin like Don The Beachcomber and Aku Aku

Another operational Tiki Temple also had great mugs but not sure about swizzles or dinnerware

My favorite but mysterious (no interior photos?) place...

but no swizzles or dinnerware

T

On 2008-12-02 19:16, bongofury wrote:
Another operational Tiki Temple also had great mugs but not sure about swizzles or dinnerware

I love how the Cobra's Fang is just casually lurking in the background.

The Trade Winds had exotic food and grog from the seven seas.

Sadly, I don't think their OMC bucket mug would pass The Boris Test. What other mugs did they have?

BB

On 2008-12-02 20:01, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Sadly, I don't think their OMC bucket mug would pass The Boris Test. What other mugs did they have?

No Bucket Mugs!

Grrrrrrrrrr! :evil:

LT

On 2008-12-02 20:57, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2008-12-02 20:01, Tiki-Kate wrote:

No Bucket Mugs!

Grrrrrrrrrr! :evil:

How about this?

Nope, sorry LOL Tiki but that mug, even though it’s one of my favorites is too common to be anything special. I didn’t say this on page 1 but it’s become clear that each of the places in the Top 9 have their own unique mug (Some in addition to other common ones) and that as we move forward a signature mug or something totally unique to that location will be required. For example a common mug that had a mold to separate it from the rest like the Pub Tiki Fog Cutter. So having said that the following mugs will not count in the Big Leagues ~

Also keep in mind this list is really just for me, for fun and in no way should be considered "Tiki Law" other than the Big Three.

CJ

On 2008-12-02 19:16, bongofury wrote:
Here is the mug courtesy of Dogbytes....

I have a slim matchbook similar to the one Bosko posted with the Chinese Junk that was out front by the pond. I can't find it now but I think it mentioned "Exotic Tropical Drinks" on the inside. That swizzle is cool.

The Mai Kai had some great mugs and these plates

And a coin like Don The Beachcomber and Aku Aku

My favorite but mysterious (no interior photos?) place...

but no swizzles or dinnerware

can someone make a mug or something based on the aloha jhoe's logo for me?

BB

On 2009-01-02 20:55, Coco Joe wrote:

can someone make a mug or something based on the aloha jhoe's logo for me?

Maybe someday after you learn how to edit quotes to just the information you need and if you promise not to derail threads for your own selfish purposes.

CJ

please excuse my drunken post and carry on with this thread.

A

I'm almost certain that the fabulous Lanai in San Mateo, California deserves a spot on the list. Their mug with the signature tiki had one of the weirdest designs around - maybe that's why it was not "borrowed" at any other establishments. Yet, although I reckon they surely had eponymous dishware, I have no artifacts to prove this. Anyone? Here's my two-out-of-three case for the Lanai.

-Randy

**You call that a Lanai Swizzle?

THIS is a Lanai Swizzle!** :o

I hear you Randy and I'm also rooting for The Lanai to make it to the list. Hopefully there are some sticky fingered San Mateans out there that will soon be cleaning out their closets. No hurry though, I can wait. Although some people might already know, Whaddya say KC why don't you put on your your your Boogie Shoes and dance all over my list or could you please show us a picture of an actual Ren Clark Swizzle? That would be nice. :wink:

Here is the Mai Kai coin/medallion that did not show up in my earlier post

Dayum, Bongo! You gotta post some pics of your collection!

CJ

interesting stuff! wow!

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-01-26 21:10 ]

A

On 2009-01-26 18:26, Bora Boris wrote:
THIS is a Lanai Swizzle![/b] :o

Oh yeah? Well at least on mine the tiki doesn't look ass-backwards. Literally! Your guy's little okole got stuck on his frontside. Too much twisting and stirring maybe.

-Randy

A

Not to get into a sidetrack, but here's the brown one in the super collector's left handed version with the extra 'I'. Rare! L@@K! Not tiki mug! Like Shag! Eames Witco!

-Randy

I just picked up a plate from the Butlin's Beachcomber bars in England and it started me thinking....hmmm could there be a swizzle and a mug from this place as well?? A quick search of Ooga Mooga and TC and the answer is YES!

The mug

The swizzle

The plate

DC

Shoot. I jut realized I cheated on the Beachcomber. The Mayfair was not part of the Butlin's Beachcomber spots and the swizzle therefore does not count. Dang this is hard.

DC

...not if you compare the Mayfair's Marquesan logo Tiki:

(on chair back)

...to the clueless use of Indian totem poles in some of the Butlin's Beachcombers:

:D
...I think the plate is actually an ashtray.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-03-24 15:14 ]

Ok Ok, I know I screwed up on this one. Just got excited that I might be able to crack the code and get into Bora Boris' club.

I shall keep trying, and maybe one day...

DC

Hey Boris. Does Ren Clark's make the Big Ten now? :D

LT

On 2009-07-16 09:18, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Hey Boris. Does Ren Clark's make the Big Ten now? :D

Ooh - sweet swizzle!

#10 Ren Clark's Polynesian Village

So who will be #11?

Thanks to Benehune, Bifcozz and Tiki-Kate for the use of their items.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-07-18 02:22 ]

On 2008-11-26 19:13, Bora Boris wrote:
The Big Nine*

1. Don The Beachcomber
2. Trader Vic's
3. Steve Crane and Associates (The Luau, Kon Tiki, Kon Tiki Ports, Ports O'Call)
4. Mai-Kai
5. Kahiki
6. Kona Kai
7. Mauna Loa
8. Pub Tiki
9. Aku Aku

So who’s missing?

BB,

I just noticed that you left the Mauna Loa out of the combined picture! You need to make a new pic with the Mauna Loa and Ren's Polynesian Village.

DC

BB,

Thanks for that late-night update, nice to see all ten together.

Would the Chin Tiki mug and pick qualify if a plate surfaced?

DC

On 2009-08-27 17:10, Dustycajun wrote:
BB,

Thanks for that late-night update, nice to see all ten together.

Would the Chin Tiki mug and pick qualify if a plate surfaced?

DC

No, while I think that it’s a great mug and I’m happy to know it exists, it’s still a variation of the Arms Crossed Tiki that I said no to on page 4. I really wish they had a mug of their logo Tiki, I love that guy.

Plus I know that if I were to let that in DC you’d start trying to convince me that an ashtray is basically a plate. :lol: So for now The Chin isn’t in!

Great thread Boris .

Bora Boris,

I think I may be IN!

Hawaii Kai - New York City

Swizzle posted by Bifcozz

Signature Mugs from Ooga Mooga (several to choose from)

And, a plate I just saw on ebay!

Oh yea, party dance. What do ya think?

DC

And, a plate I just saw on ebay!
Oh yea, party dance. What do ya think?

DC

That's a pretty small/deep looking plate (judging by the hand to plate ratio.) Or it could be a giant hand I suppose!

Kahalakruzer,

Ok its a bowl not a plate but it still counts. Here is a plate from Oooga Mooga.

DC

Sorry DC very close but that swizzle is a lame one :( I have it on page one. Hopefully we'll find another place soon.

H

On 2009-11-16 18:28, Bora Boris wrote:
Sorry DC very close but that swizzle is a lame one :( I have it on page one. Hopefully we'll find another place soon.

Aw, and I was just thinking to myself how much I like that swizzle. What it perhaps lacks in injection molding, it makes up in great logo display. Simple, elegant, promotional, and ready to do the ice cube hustle. What more does one need in a swizzle, really?

On 2009-11-16 20:16, Humuhumu wrote:

Aw, and I was just thinking to myself how much I like that swizzle. What it perhaps lacks in injection molding, it makes up in great logo display. Simple, elegant, promotional, and ready to do the ice cube hustle. What more does one need in a swizzle, really?

What more does one need in a swizzle?
• How about a pointed end to pierce pineapple chunks, olives, cherries or those god awful pearl onions?
• How about an address?
• How about a non-porous material?
• How about we're talking about New York City and Broadway and I wanna see a Tiki with a Top Hat, how about that?

Sorry Humu, The Hawaii Kai swizzle is on the bench. :wink:

H

Alright folks, you heard it from Boris: the Hawaii Kai swizzles are irredeemably lame. I suggest you send all of your Hawaii Kai swizzles to me for proper disposal.

H

I hate to say this but I liked that swizzle as soon as I saw it posted. I think it has a lot of character I wish I had a few of them. Very nice...

Ssh!

Looks like a fricken chopstick to me.... not a swizzle, Im with Boris!

I gotta agree with Boris. That's a lame swizzle! I find it hard to believe they didn't have a better one, though. Hopefully, It'll turn up.

The Mayfair Beachcomber can qualify, but the plate and the mug are so rare that there are no really good pictures from collectors.

The swizzle

You can see the plate with the signature Tiki logo in this picture posted by atomictonytiki

And the mugs also posted by atomictonytiki - the flaming grog mugs and the tops of other mugs (note the distinctive tops on the partially obscured mugs) ...

If we could only find someone who actually owns these to get a clean shot that would make number 11.

What to you think, BB?

DC

Yes.

KC, how bout you?

Well, Pikeys Dog found this plate set which sure looks to be from the Beachcomber.

That would make a complete set of swizzle, mug and plate.

DC

Bora Boris,

I have another one for you. The Mauna Loa from Mexico City.

The plate.

The swizzle (which I own thanks to Zeta)

And the mug.

(there are many other Mauna Loa mugs to choose from).

So, does that make 12? What say you?

DC

Pages: 1 2 91 replies