Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sven's perfect tiki bar ....by GROG @ Tonga Hut !!

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

Actually I love the pecky cedar wood covering on the walls. That's a classic Mid Century Modern home material that gets used for exterior siding as well as interior rumpus room walls...You don't see it used much anymore and it's great looking stuff.
I would say don't touch that. Just a little more of a closed in / private feel for the booths, by having a thatched/bamboo hut roof over those booths along the walls with some pufferfish lights. I think it would make those booths cozier.

The ceiling is high enough so that you'd still be able to sit up on the booths AND have those hut roofs.

I think that front booth would be great if it had more of a conversation pit type of deal....a few couches and a coffee table and flokati rug that can be moved for events...similar to what the BigFoot Lodge has, where people lounge and have their drinks, and on the emptier nights the big open dance floor won't make the place looks so barren, and give the place a little Mid Century Modern Swankiness...just a little....aka Tiki Modern. I have an amazing Preway metal funnel shaped fireplace that would be great there too....I have a fake electric firelog in there and it looks great. Very early 60's modern.

Anyway, it's not my bar, but if it was these are things I would do

Tiki Modern, baby !

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-10-29 10:37 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-10-29 10:40 ]

Haha, that Seattle Polynesia Interior looks kinda like the new Luau: ONE Tiki, and lots of Asians! :D
Man was I happy when Mimi found that at the last minute so I could put it in Tiki Modern.

Places like that and the Waikikian are it for me...Mid Century Modernism collides with Tiki. perfect. The Polynesian is a GREAT example of Tiki Modern.

I gotta have more Tiki.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Oct 30, 2008 7:56 AM

More flotsam hanging from the ceiling please! And yeah - where are the puffer fish?

TikiMango - your last pic shows the horrible ceiling fan and incandescent light fixture over/next to the Drooling Bastard fountain quite well.

See what I mean? Standard Home Depot ware has no place in a tiki lounge. No wonder I wear dark shades at T.H. 8)

Look folks, it's all good and fine that you are discussing the pros and cons of the Tonga Hut now, but can we pleaese take my name of this thread, I didn't start it, I didn't ask for it, and it's misleading seeing my name up there.

On 2008-10-30 09:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
Look folks, it's all good and fine that you are discussing the pros and cons of the Tonga Hut now, but can we pleaese take my name of this thread, I didn't start it, I didn't ask for it, and it's misleading seeing my name up there.

"but,"

We want to make a perfect tiki bar just for you Master Sven. :)

We as a community will make you happy one day........

You already do, you already do ---especially you, Benster! Mmmwhah! I know YOU could build it!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 30, 2008 6:02 PM

Maybe it's a different Sven in the thread title. Sven Svenderson?

Heck, it could be any one of these Svens:

http://www.sven.com/svens/

GT

I can make some cool ceramic tiki bowls, I bet if you retrofit, your going to need a fire sprinkler system, Guess what my day job is! I can help cut cost on that!

I vote that we make this topic disappear and start a new one.

Moderators???

Donating to the Tonga Hut or something like that.

Make it a positive thing.

I started it out as a jab to Sven but he is my tiki brother.

Brothers fight a lot. Then make up.

There's not enough time left in this tiki world of ours to be

so negative.

Class?

Class?

Anyone?

Nice call Ben... I second that!

B

Doh...I didn't realize your thread here was a jab.

I thought you were serious about a Tonga revamp Sven style...

Anyway, if several of you artists do decide to pull together on some type of Tonga thingy, I've got a good idea for a PNG tip jar :)

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-10-31 07:16 ]

Pages: 1 2 60 replies