Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sven's perfect tiki bar ....by GROG @ Tonga Hut !!

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

...all the complaining drives me crazy so.....

I'll donate 2 weeks of free labor

and 20.00 to get it started.

Anyone else?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-10-28 08:58 ]

As long as you build it at my house (or somewhere near Sacramento). Then I'm in!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I am in if it is built locally)!

TT

I would love to see Sven's vision of the ultimate tiki bar....
does it exist or has it already been and gone?
(I'll match ben's $20)

Building a TiKi bar at Sven's place? Wouldn't that be like building a ice maker in Eskimo's igloo?

40 clams and 2 weeks of labor.

Good start.

We're gonna need about 2 mil. more.

Anyone "in" with any LA city planners?

p.s.

Not a home bar.

A commercial bar!

For all the public to enjoy.

S

Then put it in Chicago or somewhere else away from the coast.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Oct 27, 2008 7:43 AM

I'm in!

I'll produce the terrazzo flooring (marble and granite of course.)

Cash needed? My twenty greenbacks are on the bar top waiting to be utilized where needed most.

While I'm at it - I'm feeling generous this morning -
I'll donate a couple tiki/tropical paintings in nice size proportions along with two fantastic acrylic resin swag lamps in lava red color, some aloha tiki shirts for use by the bar patrons and I saved the best for last; I'll throw in two cases of tiki graphic toilet paper for general all 'round use. We must keep our priorities straight huh?

Put it in Columbus, Ohio.

We'll call it the Sventiki!!! :wink:

Beachbum Berry has already made the drink!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I'll donate painting a mural on one of the walls inside!
As long as i can crash there all week and
get some free beef jerky to eat while I'm there...

T

TikiG you do TERRAZZO ?

I LOVE Terrazzo !

I'll donate $20 and have the Orchestra play the opening for free.

I keep saying it....Rent a space, have paid memberships...call it a LODGE or a Social Club. No liquor license needed, cos it's private, and "non profit".

I'll draw up the landscape design for free.

O

I'm in for $20.00 and I'll help with some labor. Have the perfect site in mind. The former location of the Trade Winds. The spot is begging for a new Tiki palace. Still has all the towering palms and other trees you can see from the Ventura freeway north of LA.

S

On 2008-10-27 08:37, tikiyaki wrote:
TikiG you do TERRAZZO ?

I LOVE Terrazzo !

I'll donate $20 and have the Orchestra play the opening for free.

I keep saying it....Rent a space, have paid memberships...call it a LODGE or a Social Club. No liquor license needed, cos it's private, and "non profit".

There have laws about that here in TN at least. Looked into the private club or museum option. Here it takes 10 years for either to be in existence, and lots of other things to get the liquor license. Adn with museums, it's a very limited license here... Private clubs need 100 dues paying members for like 10 year to get one.

Count me in for $20. I can also provide a traffic/parking study if needed for permit processing.

DC

We need a

Project Manager

Accountant

Lawyer

Who out there is one of the above?

On 2008-10-27 09:53, RevBambooBen wrote:
We need a
Project Manager
Accountant
Lawyer

I'd recommend Ernie Keen- Tiki Lawyer and Accountant !
:lol:

We need a
Project Manager
Accountant
Lawyer

"If you did your homework, you would have seen that info already printed on page 122 of the BOT"

I'll throw in my $20, Project Management skills, and a vote for the Sacramento area (Roseville is booming).

Count us in! We'll donate dough and I used to be a project manager for a home builder. Mrs. DNH is a big- wig acountant.

[ Edited by: Daves Not Home 2008-10-27 12:04 ]

I'll do some time on that chain gang as well.

Thank you, Ben and all, how sweet! :) And even BK, after he got burned so bad in the Tiki Bar business, is pledging! But I am afraid I am no restaurateur, and never will be. I think ideally you have to already be in the business and then love Tiki for it to work. Martin and Forbidden Island is a laudable exception -- but he did team up with folks with industry experience.
I am just and art connoisseur, an art discoverer, an art resurrector, but not a Tiki bar host. My social skills alone would doom such an endeavor.

If you want to see what my perfect Tiki Bar would look like: Go look in my books, it's all there. And then, Tiki Central is my perfect virtual Tiki bar!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-10-27 12:42 ]

J

I'm an attorney, but only licensed in Florida. I could provide general advice if needed. (Unless you build the bar in Florida!)

J

We need a

Project Manager

Accountant

Lawyer

I'm a project manager, and I will toss in $20 now and $20 at the bar during the opening, and 2 large tikis carved in any style of Sven's choosing.

I'll Donate some labor, no problem!!

I just found this on How to . com

Might come in handy.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2125591_open-tiki-bar.html

**** We also need a Location Scout, Architect, Realtor,

Raw Material Supplier ( OA??? )

Pledging $20? Pikers. I'll buy Ben's Budweisers for the first 2 days. Match me, I dare ya.

On 2008-10-27 18:37, freddiefreelance wrote:
Pledging $20? Pikers. I'll buy Ben's Budweisers for the first 2 days. Match me, I dare ya.

Freddie,

MAhalos for the offer...

..but put the Budweiser money toward the cause!

We're still gonna need some serious cash to do this.

Any investors out there want to buy in??

( we also need someone to write the biz. plan.

Holden?)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-10-27 19:00 ]

I Can't offer much more than I can carve or build with my own two hands but count me in if this gets off the ground

T

If it's local to me I'll volunteer to paint.

CJ

I'm good for $250

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 28, 2008 12:05 AM

Rather than making donations to a bar that doesn't exist, we should donate some art/decor to the Tonga Hut for it's 50th Anniversary so Jeremy can take down those damned framed pieces of Hawaiian fabric he has on the walls. Somebody gave him a nice old Kelbo's lamp he got working again, and GROG donated a lamp GROG had purchased at Benson's Imports a number of years ago, and he got both of those hung before the Anniversary party. Kirby donated a nice piece that you can see as you come in the back door, and Tobunga did a nice banner for them.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Oct 28, 2008 7:56 AM

I like Grog's ideas above; We all know it makes sense.

When I was at the Tonga Hut last Saturday night for their 50th, I noticed the funky Home Depot ceiling fan mounted right in front of the Drooling Bastard fountain. The Bastard has colored lights on it, but the damn fan features three white incandescent bulbs that ruin the whole "Tonga" effect for the fountain area. I feel this area may require some attention, isn't this where an "authentic" swag lamp should be? I don't have a lamp to donate, but maybe somebody reading this does.

As for the framed Hawaiian fabric on the walls - I'd like to see those slowly replaced with tiki style artwork from local artists too. I will take Grog's suggestion above (start a trend hopefully) and submit a custom painted Polynesian tiki themed canvas or two - my donation to the Tonga Hut as a token of my appreciation for the hard work that the owners have given so far. We've already discussed this with Jeremy a couple of months ago and he liked the idea. It would be a kick to watch the progression of art being collected and hung over time and give a reason to visit the Tonga more than just "once a month" or something.

TikiG

[ Edited by: TikiG 2008-10-28 07:57 ]

M

On 2008-10-27 18:33, RevBambooBen wrote:
I just found this on How to . com

Might come in handy.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2125591_open-tiki-bar.html

Wow, I never knew it was so easy!!

Those 5 steps would be (except #1) about steps #846-849.

On 2008-10-28 00:05, GROG wrote:
Rather than making donations to a bar that doesn't exist, we should donate some art/decor to the Tonga Hut for it's 50th Anniversary so Jeremy can take down those damned framed pieces of Hawaiian fabric he has on the walls. Somebody gave him a nice old Kelbo's lamp he got working again, and GROG donated a lamp GROG had purchased at Benson's Imports a number of years ago, and he got both of those hung before the Anniversary party. Kirby donated a nice piece that you can see as you come in the back door, and Tobunga did a nice banner for them.

I hearby appoint GROG the new leader of this thread.

Maybe he can turn the Tonga Hut into Sven's perfect tiki bar??

I'll still donate my time (when I get time) and 20.00.

Waddaya think GROG?

B

Now this sounds fesible and, well, fun!

If you do kick this off GROG....I'm in to donating something done in clay.

I'll even toss some tools in the truck and donate a weekend of labor if Ben needs a hand...

Don't toss the fabric when the frames come down. I'd be willing to make them into something else for the Tonga.

...Throw pillows, perhaps?

T

There needs to be more tikis in there. I have some I brought back from the islands. They're cheapo phillipine ones, but look ok and would be more than suitable and they can replace them with "real ones" by Bosko,Crazy Al, Tiki Ray and Oceanic Arts and others when they get the money.

Also, how about a zig zagging bamboo/thatch roof going over the booths on the wall oppesite the bar with a pufferfish lamp hanging over each table ?

I'll donate time too.

"If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve..."

Um, kinda' looks like the Tribe is rather determined to put you in the bar biz anyway BBT... :wink:

I'll bring my old IATSE 44 hammer and the boombox, if Tikiyaki put the tunes on it.

SOK

...done.

On 2008-10-28 00:05, GROG wrote:
Jeremy ... got ... GROG ... hung before the Anniversary party.

so the stories I've heard about LITTLE GROG aren't true?

On 2008-10-27 18:57, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2008-10-27 18:37, freddiefreelance wrote:

Freddie,

MAhalos for the offer...

..but put the Budweiser money toward the cause!

But you work so much faster with a Beer in your hand it'd be like paying for FOUR extra days of work from you! :D

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 28, 2008 2:54 PM

Ben doesn't drink on the job, which is why he works so fast, because his beeralogical clock is ticking and he has to be finished by beer-thirty.

T

Grog if you pm me the address I will send a light if needed to
the Tonga hut.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 28, 2008 11:53 PM

Sent PM.

Thanks for your show of support.

Also, how about a zig zagging bamboo/thatch roof going over the booths on the wall oppesite the bar with a pufferfish lamp hanging over each table ?

Then where would folks (especially TikiRay) stand/sit to watch the floor shows or talk down to people? :P

Perhaps instead of over every booth, the thatch roofing can just go over the larger booth area by the front door? That area seems to be the "reserved space" when nothing too special is going on, and a thatched roof there might give it a little more exclusivity or even privacy. Puffer fish lamps would be a nice touch.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 29, 2008 8:18 AM

Don't know if Jeremy would go for the thatch roof over every booth or not. Jeremy had mentioned to GROG awhile back that he wanted the Tonga Hut to be a "Tiki Lounge" and not a "Tiki Bar", so he didn't want to deck it out in bamboo everywhere and luhala matting on the walls.

T

(stand/sit )???????? I was sitting on Tiki Kinniki's shoulders for that pic . She is one strong girl !

Pages: 1 2 60 replies