Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tonga Room SF (Not) to be demolished?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 435 replies

I received a letter from one of my contacts today:

Thu, 19 Feb 2009

"As you are one of nation's formost authorities on Tiki bars, I feel it is my obligation to inform you the historic Tonga Room at the San Francisco Fairmont is scheduled to be demolished.

I live [very near to] to the Fairmont, and am an historical architect and member of the Society Of Commercial Archeology. The developers are planning a new condominium project on the back of the Fairmont. They are obligated to present it to owners within 300' of the project .. When they gave their presentation they didn't volunteer the information, but I asked if the Tonga Room would survive and they said no.

The project is in an early stage of approvals. Now is the time to act. Here is the status of the project. In California we have the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The project sponsors have to provide an Environmental Impact Report (EIR.) The project has to look at any impact on cultural resources of the project. The public is asked to provide input on the scope of the EIR. In the letter from my homeowners association we declared that the Tonga Room was of historic significance, and the impact of its demolition should be studied.

Unfortunately the neighbors are more concerned with the exterior appearance and compatibility with the surrounding Beaux Arts structures.

Thus I feel it is imperative to tap into a national concern for saving the Tonga Room. If we can prove the significance, and show a ground swell of national concern and support, I can present that to the local Historical Preservation Commission, Planning Commission, and Board of Supervisors.

Can you suggest a way to communicate with people who understand the importance the Tonga Room, and get them to rally to save it?

Tiki bars may come and go, but that tropical rain strom will be gone forever!

I appreciate your time and suggestions."

I explained to her that we've seen this before, several times, and that all prior efforts to save these places have come to naught.

But it is great to know that there are finally serious architectural historians who recognize the importance of tiki, and care about saving it.

A

A friend of mine dined at the Tonga Room a couple of weeks ago and I asked him to ask someone there whether it was true it might be closed. He asked his waitress and her reply was, "That's bullshit." Which I think is a funny thing for a waitress to say.

Here is the info I found online regarding the CEQA process the SF Planning Commission has to approve:

http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/planning/2008.0081E_950_Mason_NOA.pdf

http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/planning/2008.0081E_950_Mason_NOP.pdf (the second link is 50 pages and takes a while to load; if you compare the proposed East-West Section with the Existing East-West Section you see there is no Tonga Room in the proposal).

Send an email TODAY (deadline is Feb 20) to: [email protected] urging the Planning Dept to not approve the project unless the historic Tonga Room is specifically included in the retention of the historic Hotel building. Also at 415-575-9051.

Written comments should be cc'd by mail to Bill Wycko, Environmental Review Officer, or SF Planning Dept, 16560 Mission St Suite 400, SF, CA 94103-2479. (Email [email protected])

You can also call the Project Sponsor, Fairmont Hotel Company at 310-966-2370 or [email protected] or [email protected]. Mail address: 220 MONTGOMERY STREET, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94104.

If you know anyone in the Bay Area newspaper or tv news biz, it would be good to contact them too.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2009-02-20 10:47 ]

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2009-02-20 10:49 ]

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2009-02-20 10:51 ]

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2009-02-20 14:32 ]

Here is the text of what I just sent to the Planning Dept:

Dear San Francisco Planning Department:

This letter is a formal objection to the 950 Mason Street – Fairmont Hotel Revitalization and Residential Tower Project that the Fairmont Hotel Company – San Francisco LP has proposed. I urge the Planning Department to deny approval of the project unless the historic restaurant the Tonga Room is included in the mandate to retain the historic hotel building.

The historic San Francisco Fairmont Hotel is wildly popular because it has maintained much of its original pre-art deco interior. The Fairmont Hotel’s landmark Polynesian restaurant the Tonga Room has been drawing fans since the last 1940s. This is one of the last un-remodeled original “tiki” restaurants in California and certainly the most elaborate. The Tonga room has a man-made lake in the middle, and delights guests with periodic thunder storms and rain showers.

The history of the Tonga Room is as compelling as the rest of the historic Fairmont building that is slated to be retained. In 1929 an indoor swimming pool was added to the historic 1902 building. In the late 1940’s, people going to take a dip in the 'Fairmont Plunge' were entranced to find themselves aboard the 'S.S. Tonga,' which provided a nautical atmosphere, along with exotic drinks accompanied by Chinese food. The S.S. Tonga evolved into the Tonga Room, with its musical boat in the middle of the pool, tiki huts under which patrons can enjoy a refreshing Mai-Tai, and an exotic menu reflecting the South Sea & Asian ambiance. A gleaming dance floor provides space for guests to dance which was originally the deck of the historic S.S. Forrester, one of the last of the tall ships that plied the route between San Francisco and the South Sea Islands.

World-renown for its original tiki chic, The Tonga Room has enchanted guests with its tropical decor, frothy libations and Asian cuisine for over 60 years. The eclectic Polynesian ambiance features a live band performing from a thatch-covered barge on the pool, a historic dance floor built from the remains of the S.S. Forester, and periodic light tropical rainstorms, complete with thunder and lightening....indoors! Following a $1 million restoration, The Tonga Room has rekindled the excitement of its unique and time-honored décor to recapture the glory of one of the nation’s first tiki palaces. Today, The Tonga Room is riding the wave of the tiki revival and recently has been recognized as one of the nation's hottest bars by InStyle, Gourmet, Travel & Leisure, Harper's Bazaar and Wallpaper magazines as well as The Food Network. As part of the marble-lined historic Fairmont Hotel, the Tonga Room has enchanted royalty and U.S. Presidents since 1945.

TikiCentral.com, which has over 9,000 members worldwide, is shocked and dismayed at the possibility that the Tonga Room would be demolished to make way for some overpriced condominium tower. (See http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30385&forum=1&start=0&50) This website has over 700 posts alone discussing and admiring the Tonga Room. Tiki Central organizes an annual Tiki Bar Crawl of the Bay Area, which always spotlights the Tonga Room, and draws guests from all over the world. (See http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/10/tiki-is-back-cocktails-drinks-hawaiian.html). In addition, popular website yelp.com has received over 400 reviews of the Tonga Room, almost 100 of which stated that the Tonga Room was “of my very favorite tiki bars in the country” (emphasis added).

The historic Fairmont Hotel, which houses the Tonga Room, has survived the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 as well as the depression and neglect during World War II. It would be a deep shame on San Francisco to lose this significant artifact to an overpriced condominium complex for the ultra-rich, a dubious endeavor in today’s economy.

As an attorney who has litigated CEQA cases, I am very concerned about the propriety of approving a project that seeks to demolish such an integral part of San Francisco’s history and draw, as well as lack of notice to the public at large. Please send me notification of any further hearings or deadlines for public comment on this matter.

M

WRITE TODAY!

message sent - thanks everyone for getting the ball rolling!

Tiki-bars, I'm glad you were sent that letter - I'm excited to know that historical architects want to save tiki bars!

On 2009-02-20 10:33, arriano wrote:
He asked his waitress and her reply was, "That's bullshit." Which I think is a funny thing for a waitress to say.

I tell that to a customer when they want to split a drink for two.

One thing about the Tonga, they do have some disgruntled employees.

Maybe this time?

T

I sent mine and passed the word to all my friends. Thanks for the links dangergirl!

T

I sent mine and passed the word to all my friends. Thanks for the links dangergirl!

On 2008-12-10 22:55, Unga Bunga wrote:
Well, if they ARE shutting down the Tonga, let's have a party
before they shut it down without notice, like they did with the last three other classics that closeed.

Greatly saddened at the possible outcome. I feel a road trip coming on. Anyone else from SoCal interested?

C

On 2009-02-21 16:51, Hiphipahula wrote:

before they shut it down without notice, like they did with the last three other classics that closeed.

Greatly saddened at the possible outcome. I feel a road trip coming on. Anyone else from SoCal interested?

I'm from NorCal [Alameda] but will happily join in with any get together of TCers at the Tonga Room.

chiwito

Hello Tiki Central! Yes the owners of the Tonga Room are applying to demolish the Tonga Room. It is part of Case No. 2008.0081E - 950 Mason Street, Fairmont Hotel, now starting the entitlements process in the San Francisco Planning Department. Tonga and the entire back half of their block would be demolished under their proposal. I and my neighbors, who live right next door, are protesting this demolition. We invite interested parties to join our protest by contacting the people listed below:

FAIRMONT HOTEL STAFF
Thomas Klein, General Manager - [email protected];
Susan Sagy, Planning Consultant - [email protected];

SAN FRANCISCO PLANNING DEPARTMENT
[email protected]
[email protected]

SAN FRANCISC CITY GOVERNMENT
David.Chiu, Supervisor District 3 (location of Tonga) and President of Board of Supervisors (very important person) - [email protected];

Christina Olague, President San Francisco Planning Commission - [email protected]

Ron Miguel, Vice President San Francisco Planning Commission - [email protected]

Kathrin Moore, Commissioner San Francisco Planning Commission - [email protected]

Alan Martinez, Commissioner Historic Preservation Commission - [email protected]

Charles Edwin Chase AIA, Commissioner Historic Preservation Commission - [email protected]

Courtney Damkroger, Commissioner Historic Preservation Commission - [email protected]

Karl Hasz, Commissioner Historic Preservation Commission - [email protected]

Thanks very much for your support to save one of the grandest old Tiki bars!

Paul Fisher

[ Edited by: paulfisher 2009-02-22 16:55 ]

Are they demolishing both towers? The Northeast tower is (i believe)the tower the Tonga Room is NOT in. I think the Tonga is in the Southeast Tower. The planning dept info that I read seemed a little unclear.

Here's a link to a story linked on boingboing.com today re: the possible closing of the Tonga Room.

http://laughingsquid.com/will-the-tonga-room-be-a-casualty-of-the-fairmont-condo-plans/

On 2009-02-22 22:45, mrsmiley wrote:
Are they demolishing both towers? The Northeast tower is (i believe)the tower the Tonga Room is NOT in. I think the Tonga is in the Southeast Tower. The planning dept info that I read seemed a little unclear.

Bruce makes a VERY good point. If only folks who have suffered through years of technical training like architects and contruction law attorneys can tell from reading the 50+ page document that the Tonga Room is not in the "proposed" elevations, and the average person can not tell, I would say this indicates an intent on the part of the project planner the Fairmont to "hide" the fact that the Tonga Room is set to be demolished. On this basis, among others, we have the seeds to plant a successful lawsuit.

Regards,

Jen

May the power of Tiki compel you!

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2015-12-23 15:05 ]

On 2009-02-21 16:51, Hiphipahula wrote:

IN!!
Probably the sooner the better now.
I would never forgive myself to miss out on one last visit.

M

I have word that SF Chronicle columnist Leah Garchik will be writing about it soon- hopefully that gets some more traction on the issue.

Also, drop an email to the following members of the SAN FRANCISCO HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], Sophie.Middlebrook@sfgov, [email protected]

You can write:
"I urge you to designate the Tonga Room, which is located within the historic portion of the 1906 Fairmont Hotel building, as a historic Landmark pursuant to Planning Code Section 1004."

My research has uncovered that the 1906 Fairmont Building is a historical landmark. I do not see in the paperwork that the proper procedures for altering a historic landmark have been met. I believe there is supposed to be an additional hearing before the historial commission. If anyone knows more about how this works, PM me.

Thanks,

Jennifer

T

this was just posted today:

http://laughingsquid.com/will-the-tonga-room-be-a-casualty-of-the-fairmont-condo-plans/

woops. looks like i was a bit late to the game.

[ Edited by: TikiMel 2009-02-23 12:23 ]

T

On 2009-02-23 10:27, dangergirl299 wrote:

On 2009-02-22 22:45, mrsmiley wrote:

Bruce makes a VERY good point. If only folks who have suffered through years of technical training like architects and contruction law attorneys can tell from reading the 50+ page document that the Tonga Room is not in the "proposed" elevations, and the average person can not tell, I would say this indicates an intent on the part of the project planner the Fairmont to "hide" the fact that the Tonga Room is set to be demolished. On this basis, among others, we have the seeds to plant a successful lawsuit.

If anyone is a member if a SF historical society that would be interested in filing to make the Tonga Room a historical site, please email me at [email protected].

Regards,

Jen

I read the proposal very carefully and it states that they are going to demolish the 1961 tower and the 5-story podium under the tower. I believe that this podium is where the Tonga Room and Cirque bar are located. I'm not sure but I think the podium dates from before 1961. The plan is build a new podium and tower.

It is not the time the sit quietly because we are not sure of where exactly the Tonga Room is in the plan. The planning department needs to demand clarification from the developers of what exactly they plan to do with the historic restaurants and bars. The person who wrote to James T. (quoted in an earlier post) stated that he asked the developers about the Tonga Room specifically and they stated that it would NOT be preserved.

I didn't even know there was a historic preservation group in the Bay Area, but if there is let's contact them. I know there is one in Oakland but they don't seem to care much for mid-century landmarks. We sorely need a group as vocal and effective as the LA Conservancy and Mod Com in the Bay Area.

T

I suggest we email members of the Historic Preservation Commission asking them to put this item on their next meeting's agenda. I'm not sure when that is, but they met on 2/4 and 2/18 so perhaps they meet every other Wednesday. The commission is a new one, approved by voters last year, so the Feb 4th meeting was their first.

http://www.sfgov.org/site/planning_index.asp?id=96784

T
T
M

oh my goodness, this is insane.

I've written a letter and will send it to all on the SF historic committee.

Any other suggestions of where I can send my letter? Thanks!

T

Forwarded to me today:

"Dear Historic Nob Hill Neighbors,

Please find below notes from the meeting with attorney Susan Brandt-Hawley, attended by thirty people. Our newly proposed organization (Historic Nob Hill or HNH) is determined have influence with the development of Fairmont Hotel. We have raised $1,855 and now have a small attorney client trust fund that can be applied toward future efforts to address our collective concerns.

We thank below all the generous contributors who were present and those that were unable to attend.

[list of names]

We are currently reaching out to an existing a state historic organization, so we potentially could donate, setting up an exclusive fund to further our efforts and have tax deductible contributions.

For those of you that are interested in the Tonga Room Demoliton or Tiki Themed bars please visit: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=30385&forum=1&start=45

Fairmont Project

Summary of Meeting of February1 8, 2009

Comments from

Susan Brandt –Hawley, Ca Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Attorney

I. CEQA and the Environmental Impact Report (EIR)
Substantive as well as procedural.
Opportunity to look at alternative projects, study impacts on traffic, historic resources etc.
Opportunity to look at least possible environmental impact
Before EIR is certified, all environmental impacts must be mitigated, or developer must prove “overriding considerations”

II. Fairmont Project
Do not be intimidated by the Fairmont name and finances.
Courts are clear, they have no as of right to build the project as proposed.
City may ultimately adopt one of the proposed alternates
However city will want to accommodate the Fairmont

III. CEQA Procedure

Step 1 Scoping
Opportunity to define the scope of the EIR
Good time to propose alternatives

Step 2 Issue Draft EIR (DEIR)
Prepared by developer, based on Step I Scoping input, as well as proposed project

Step 3 DEIR Comment Period
45-60 day written comment period
(Because Fairmont must respond to each, letter format should be short, numbered questions.)
Public Hearings at the Planning Commission & Historic Preservation Commission

Step 4 Final EIR (FEIR)
All written and verbal comments from Step 3 must be responded to in the FEIR
Commission votes whether to certify the EIR/grant Conditional Use authorization
Decision can be appealed to the Board of Supervisors (BOS)
CEQA law is clear; we have the right to go to an elected body in seeking mitigation

Step 5 Legal Challenge
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst
Communicate in writing and keep all records as basis for legal action
Fairmont must look at all reasonable alternatives or face legal challenges
If we prevail in court, attorney fees are paid for by Fairmont/City.

IV Approach Moving Forward
Show credibility by proposing reasonable alternatives
Acknowledge Fairmont’s rights to a project
Don’t demand a financially infeasible project
Make a reasonable argument for mitigation measures

V. Tasks Moving Forward
Form a Steering Committee
Name our group
Form, or work through, a non profit
Clarify our position in writing
Form alliances with interested parties (neighborhood, historical, and Tiki Bar groups)
Meet with decisions makers, present alternatives
Meet with Fairmont representatives, present alternatives
Decide whether to retain an attorney, if so in what capacity."

I encourage all TCers in the Bay Area to contact these people, to attend their meetings, and to participate in thier efforts.

On 2009-02-23 20:21, tikibars wrote:
Forwarded to me today:

"Dear Historic Nob Hill Neighbors,

Please find below notes from the meeting with attorney Susan Brandt-Hawley, attended by thirty people. Our newly proposed organization (Historic Nob Hill or HNH) is determined have influence with the development of Fairmont Hotel. We have raised $1,855 and now have a small attorney client trust fund that can be applied toward future efforts to address our collective concerns.

We thank below all the generous contributors who were present and those that were unable to attend.

[list of names]

We are currently reaching out to an existing a state historic organization, so we potentially could donate, setting up an exclusive fund to further our efforts and have tax deductible contributions.

For those of you that are interested in the Tonga Room Demoliton or Tiki Themed bars please visit: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=30385&forum=1&start=45

Fairmont Project

Summary of Meeting of February1 8, 2009

Comments from

Susan Brandt –Hawley, Ca Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Attorney

I. CEQA and the Environmental Impact Report (EIR)
Substantive as well as procedural.
Opportunity to look at alternative projects, study impacts on traffic, historic resources etc.
Opportunity to look at least possible environmental impact
Before EIR is certified, all environmental impacts must be mitigated, or developer must prove “overriding considerations”

II. Fairmont Project
Do not be intimidated by the Fairmont name and finances.
Courts are clear, they have no as of right to build the project as proposed.
City may ultimately adopt one of the proposed alternates
However city will want to accommodate the Fairmont

III. CEQA Procedure

Step 1 Scoping
Opportunity to define the scope of the EIR
Good time to propose alternatives

Step 2 Issue Draft EIR (DEIR)
Prepared by developer, based on Step I Scoping input, as well as proposed project

Step 3 DEIR Comment Period
45-60 day written comment period
(Because Fairmont must respond to each, letter format should be short, numbered questions.)
Public Hearings at the Planning Commission & Historic Preservation Commission

Step 4 Final EIR (FEIR)
All written and verbal comments from Step 3 must be responded to in the FEIR
Commission votes whether to certify the EIR/grant Conditional Use authorization
Decision can be appealed to the Board of Supervisors (BOS)
CEQA law is clear; we have the right to go to an elected body in seeking mitigation

Step 5 Legal Challenge
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst
Communicate in writing and keep all records as basis for legal action
Fairmont must look at all reasonable alternatives or face legal challenges
If we prevail in court, attorney fees are paid for by Fairmont/City.

IV Approach Moving Forward
Show credibility by proposing reasonable alternatives
Acknowledge Fairmont’s rights to a project
Don’t demand a financially infeasible project
Make a reasonable argument for mitigation measures

V. Tasks Moving Forward
Form a Steering Committee
Name our group
Form, or work through, a non profit
Clarify our position in writing
Form alliances with interested parties (neighborhood, historical, and Tiki Bar groups)
Meet with decisions makers, present alternatives
Meet with Fairmont representatives, present alternatives
Decide whether to retain an attorney, if so in what capacity."

I encourage all TCers in the Bay Area to contact these people, to attend their meetings, and to participate in thier efforts.

I second that motion! This is getting serious.

And look at some of those blog comments! How can you "get" a thing so completely right...and so wrong at the same time, like this blogger does:
"Yeah it was pretty sad even when I was a teenager in the early 90s. The fake rain storms were dated just like the flying cars in Disneyland's Tomorrowland."

Yeeeah, and...? Separated by worlds of difference in thought. Sigh.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-02-23 20:51 ]

M

I just heard back from Alan Martinez with the Historic Committee regarding my e-mail sent yesterday.

He suggested that a Report be filed, which halts the project while they research the report. The Fairmont is already an historic building and the Tonga Room qualifies as a frequented locale within that building. So it seems that's half the battle.

He gave me a couple of names, one of a lawyer who also contacted him Jennifer H. (perhaps someone from here?) and he suggested that I contact Alice Carey, who is an architect who 1. lives across the street and is already NOT OKAY with this new building proposal and 2. would be a good resource for additional information as well as able to quickly write the necessary report. Apparently the report is in the planning code (and that's where it's all going over my head). There would probably be fees involved in writing this report.

I'm actually going to the Tonga Room tonight to um do some research...yeah..that's it. I'll see what I can find out and report back.

Sounds like from the previous message, that there's a neighborhood committee working on this, so maybe it's all being handled. Does anyone have a working link they can share for that group?

This super sucks, but at least we're on it and I know we can make a difference!

A couple of things.
In the laughing squid article http://laughingsquid.com/will-the-tonga-room-be-a-casualty-of-the-fairmont-condo-plans/ the writer indicates that the "official period" for comments regarding the environemental impact review ends February 20.

If you haven't sent any comments but would still like to by all means send them in. A time period is always given for CEQA and discretionary projects that require entitlements but those dates aren't necessarily hard. That is, just because a comment comes in a couple of days later doesn't mean they won't read and consider your comments. In fact, the lead agency can easily extend a period for comments and the simple justification is that comments continue to come in and people did not get notice right away. The Planning Department of lead agency can be petitioned to extend deadlines for comments for NOP's and EIR's. Also, just because you don't live within 500' feet of the project doesn't mean your comments aren't welcome. A solid Planning Department will review all comments even if you travel to SF twice a year and stay at the Fairmont, go to the Tonga Room. They understand Fairmont is international in quality and character. Plus the sheer hugeness of this proposal means the Planning Department should realistically expect comments to come in for weeks as people learn of the project. This isn't a Walgreen's after all! ok.

Secondly these comments are specific to what you would like to see given consideration in the document so that they don't overlook something. The actual environmental impact report for something of this scale will probably be large and take many months to complete. Once the document is out (estimating several months from now but who really knows) then you can pick it apart if they fail to give serious consideration to the Tonga or other cultural, architectural resources etc. The Fairmont and Tonga Room have certain inimitable architectural and historical qualities in addition to being remarkable in other ways, culturally or otherwise.

per CEQA:

The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) defines cultural resources as historical and unique archaeological resources that meet significance criteria of the California Register of Historical Resources. The eligibility criteria of the California Register include the following:

Is associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of California’s history and cultural heritage;

Is associated with the lives of persons important in our past;

Embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, region, or method of construction, or represents the work of an important creative individual, or possesses high artistic values; or

Has yielded, or may be likely to yield, information important in prehistory or history. (Public Resources Code SS5024.1, Title 14 CCR, Section 4852).
Under CEQA, lead agencies must consider the effects of their projects on cultural resources.

Use these key words in your narrative about saving the Tonga Room and/or Fairmont when you write in to the Planning Department or to the Planning Commissioner's, or the City Council which I would think a project of this scale would ultimately go for final approval although I'm not sure how they do it in S.F.

Also an historical property is significant under California law if it is eligible for listing in the California Register of Historical Resources (Public Resources Code § 5024.1). A property is eligible for listing, either individually, or as a contributing element in a historic district, if it meets one or more of the criteria (outlined above) set forth in the Public Resources Code and the California Code of Regulations (CCR Title 14, chapter 11.5, § 4850 et seq).

whether it is or isn't listed in the Cal Register of Historical resources, is it eligible to be listed pursuant to the rules for eligibility? If it is a potential candidate well that sounds like a significant impact to me and the environmental document should consider that impact.

In addition to meeting one or more of these criteria, the property must also retain its integrity. Integrity has been defined by the National Park Service as consisting of seven elements: location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association. Lead agencies have the authority to evaluate the significance of an historical resource under Public Resource Code § 21084.1 and the CEQA Guidelines §15064.5 (D)(4), even if that resource is not listed in the California Register or other registers of historical resources. Again use the PRC laws and CEQA guidelines to maximum effect. The structure appears to have high integrity of location, design, and materials. Also, according to Fairmont Manager Thomas Klein in an article written by sanfrancisco.lovetoknow.com, a once Tonga Room bartender (association) created the Mai Tai- the greatest drink ever invented :wink:

http://sanfrancisco.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Fairmont_Hotel_San_Francisco sixth paragraph

Finally, the Public Resources Code § 21084.1 states: "A project that may cause a substantial adverse change in the significance of an historical resource is a project that may have a significant effect on the environment." PRC § 5021.1(q) defines substantial adverse change as "demolition, destruction, relocation or alteration such that the significance of an historical resource is impaired." Is Tonga a historical resource? Certainly the Fairmont is. We're the most creative people I know. Even if these impacts relate to the Tonga Room indirectly, it's more ammo and things the document preparer's must consider. Make them write a 500 page document detailing impact after impact.

In the meantime circle the wagons. When the Planning Commission hearing is set some time in the future I say we swarm the place. Start thinking about what you want to say- everyone should get a chance to speak.

M

Fresh from San Francisco's own Chronicle Newspaper, another long time Frisco establishment in dire straits:

Sunset on the horizon for Fairmont's tiki bar

"(02-24) 20:03 PST -- Looks like twilight time for the tiki torches in the Fairmont Hotel's famed Tonga Room.

The Nob Hill hotel's owners are looking into a big-time condo conversion in the Fairmont tower, and the Tonga Room - with its tropical decor and Hurricane Bar - isn't included in the plans.

The Tonga Room is one of the nation's oldest tiki palaces, dating back to 1945 when MGM's top set director, Mel Melvin, was brought in to transform the Fairmont's indoor swimming pool into a nautical bar.

The result was a South Seas paradise - with a lagoon and a floating stage for the orchestra, a dance floor built from the remains of an old lumber schooner and even periodic tropical storms, complete with thunder and lightning.

The bar underwent a $1 million restoration last year, as the Fairmont's owners sought to ride the wave of the current tiki bar revival....

The final outcome is being studied," said Susan Sagy, a spokeswoman for the project. "

Read it, Learn it, Live It

Translation: Two birds, one stone.

I come bury Tonga, not to praise it.
midnite antony

Ooog. I think I'm going to be ill.

While newer tiki bars with better and cheaper drinks have come and gone, very few have had the staying power of the Tonga. It will be a sad day if the Tonga Room goes.

I sure hope these people want to know what tiki-themed items are "of interest" because they are considering keeping the Tonga rather than figuring out what they can sell on eBay!

"...underwent a million dollar restoration"

A million?!

Cripes! They got ripped off...

We made the news!
I forwarded the issue to all of the local news stations a couple days ago and my favorite morning news show - Kron 4 - just scrolled this morninng that "San Francisco Fairmont Hotel to close famed Tonga Room."

M

So I went there yesterday and this is what I saw...

I then headed up to the Laurel Court bar and basically it sucks. I was so disappointed, they couldn't even make my drink (from their menu) because they ran out of MINT and some other ingredients. AWFUL. If that is what the Fairmont is offering as an alternative...count me out. I will say they have some very comfy couches to lounge in while you're there tho.

This Monday and Tuesday closure is probably more due to the economy rather condos, but bad timing none the less.

I did try and pry some info from my cocktail server (maybe an inside scoop), she was pretty matter of fact that it's going to take years to get all the necessary approvals and that they really want to move the Tonga Room from it's location to another in the hotel. Seems like a great idea, but who knows if that would really happen.

As I sat on the outside couch contemplating the Tonga Room's fate, it's beauty didn't escape me. Even tho the service is spotty at best, the drinks aren't that great, and the food is just so-so, I really really really like it there.

May I make a suggestion?

Instead of focusing on the past history of the Tonga Room and what a great place it has been..... can we focus on what a great attraction the place could be going forward?

Here's why:

The owners see the place as making money, or not making money. They may have their hearts in it, but ultimately it is the wallet that makes the decisions. If we can collectively focus their attention to the fact that the Tonga Room is a marketing opportunity that can be a business draw, then the place will have a better chance of survival. How many other places in San Francisco can claim oldest continuous bar, tiki bar, what ever marketing speak you want to use but the fact remains that few other places in town can make the claim to still be around after this many years.

If we as a group of Tiki-philes can make the owners see it as an opportunity, then we as Tiki-philes might be able to save the place for our own enjoyment. I think in the business world they call that win-win....

On 2009-02-24 22:09, midnite_tiki wrote:
Fresh from San Francisco's own Chronicle Newspaper, another long time Frisco establishment in dire straits:

Talk about irony:

San Francisco Chronicle may shut down

Maybe us Bay Area Tiki-philes should plan an outting to the Tonga Room? Nothing would show support like a large group showing up in full regalia, ordering their (terrible) drinks and having a blast. At the very least it would be a proper send off. Perhaps we can organize it as an "official" event with posters, tshirts, etc? A great excuse to hit the city!

Wow AlohaCurrent, and I thought you just made excellent cocktails....you'd think you worked for a building department or somethin' :wink:

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Feb 25, 2009 1:13 PM

Hello Tiki Central Peeps!

Driving up to Santa Cruz Boardwalk Friday morning for a roller coaster enthusiast event, so I'll be in San Fran on Saturday.

I'll be at the Tonga Room this Saturday (3/1) evening. I have a dinner reservation at 7:30PM - Any T.C.'rs wish to hang out after wards?

I can't wait to explore the Fairmont Hotel and Tonga Room as I've read so much (good and bad) about both.

Suggestions on Tonga Room menu items and drinks are welcome, please!

Pics and review will be posted here upon my return on Monday.

Aloha!

T

On 2009-02-25 13:13, TikiG wrote:

Suggestions on Tonga Room menu items and drinks are welcome, please!

Under the current situation I don't wish to make negative comments about anything at the Tonga Room. But enjoy the atmosphere while you still can!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Feb 25, 2009 1:42 PM

Atmosphere = good

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm heading over to Forbidden Island later in the evening..for total tiki immersion.

D

On 2009-02-25 11:08, Chip and Andy wrote:

The owners see the place as making money, or not making money. They may have their hearts in it, but ultimately it is the wallet that makes the decisions. If we can collectively focus their attention to the fact that the Tonga Room is a marketing opportunity that can be a business draw, then the place will have a better chance of survival. How many other places in San Francisco can claim oldest continuous bar, tiki bar, what ever marketing speak you want to use but the fact remains that few other places in town can make the claim to still be around after this many years.

Like I said back in an earlier post about this, when I was there in August it seemed like business was pretty booming. They had your normal Happy Hour Friday night crowd in there. Alot of people who looked like they were there to blow off some steam after a week of work. Bar was packed, people on the dance floor, etc. So if that doesn't mean business is good, then I don't know what. The other thing that's a little bafflingly obvious about this is why would anybody want to go full steam with any urban redevelopment of this magnitude during this economic slump? It just seems insane. Especially after they just allegedly spent $1 million on renovations. Seems odd. Not gonna get too negative here, but I don't like the way this sounds, and usually when you hear rumblings like this the outcome is not in favor of fun. Corporate people just like to bulldoze and 'renew', enthusiasts (Tiki or other) be damned. On the other hand, they did save the Oak Bar at the Plaza Hotel here in NYC when that place went partial condo a year or two ago. Everybody thought that place was a gonner. So I guess you never know.

In a Fairmont Hotel non-Tiki item; if you've ever seen the film 'Petulia' from 1968 w/Julie Christie and George C. Scott, the opening scene is shot in the main lobby of the Fairmont. It's supposed to be a charity ball and Janis Joplin w/Big Brother & the Holding Company are playing. It's been a fave film of mine for years. Never knew that shot was done at the Fairmont until this year and then actually saw the space on my visit. Pretty cool. Great film as well if you like trippy flashbacky 60s films. Would make a good Netflixer

T

On 2009-02-25 13:42, TikiG wrote:
Atmosphere = good

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm heading over to Forbidden Island later in the evening..for total tiki immersion.

NOW your talking regarding the Forbidden Island.
IMO the Tonga Room was just ok (with the lights
on watch out!)

DECOR without a good VIBE doesn't work. Forbidden
Island has IT! The Tonga Room DOESN'T!

Thortiki

T
T
MF

Looks like there's now a website and Facebook Group. Join the cause!

http://www.savetonga.com/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52865973611#

[ Edited by: progrocktv 2009-02-25 19:13 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 435 replies