Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tonga Room SF (Not) to be demolished?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 435 replies

On 2010-03-12 12:21, JOHN-O wrote:
Petitions are a great start but to go toe to toe with big business you eventually need to get widespread visibility with the general public. The only way to get that is through major news coverage. To get that coverage you need to create a media circus.

Try to imagine CNN coverage like the following.......

Yesterday, hundreds of protesters garbed in colorful Hawaiian wear blocked all entrances to San Francisco's Fairmont hotel. They sat in front of public access points along with wooden carving they had brought. When asked what they were protesting, this was their statement:

"We're here to bring national, state, and city attention to the planned closure of the Fairmont's Tonga Room. This establishment has major significance not only from a San Francisco historical standpoint but is also one of the few remaining examples of classic Tiki-style. Tiki was a major U.S. cultural phenomenon during America's mid-century and most original Tiki bars and restaurants have long since been demolished. We urge the Fairmont to reconsider their decision. If the Fairmont decides to move ahead with their planned demolition, then we urge the public to show their disapproval by taking their business to hotels other than the Fairmont chain."

Eventually the police showed up, but the sitting protesters moved out of the way and began picketing on the public sidewalk. They vowed to continue their protests for the next several weekends, their goal to bring this unique brand of preservationism into the national consciousness.

(Am I dreaming here ?? And yes this is easy for me to point out sitting 400 miles away in Los Angeles. And why didn't I come up with this bright idea when the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's was being shut down? I admit it was pure apathy. But let's be honest, the future doesn't look good for the TR and a drastic situation is going to require drastic measures. I guess most of us here are past the age where action like this is practical or desirable. If there's an on-line petition to be signed or donations needed to support this effort, someone please post it.)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-03-12 14:13 ]

I am a lobbyist in Washington. Getting media coverage is a great tactic. The best strategy (and probably the only strategy to win) is to get this on the historic preservation list. That would be a permanent solution that would trump the otherwise inevitable business decision based on profitability. The advantage of this strategy is tapping into the often highly effective lobbying campaigns that historic preservationists have shown they can launch and win. They are battle tested veterans who know what levers to push. This is a street fight. They are street fighters. The keys to their success are experience, passion, not giving up, media savvy, and knowing how to navigate the historic designation process. I would strongly encourage the local tikifiles to cultivate, woo, and recruit the San Francisco preservationist leaders to join this cause and co-lead it. The Tonga Room might not be an easy initial sell. They are used to fighting for art deco, buildings built by famous architects, etc. However, a strong case can be made for preservation under the criteria for historic preservation. Also, bear in mind that volunteer leaders are always looking for fresh blood, more troops in the field. If local tikifiles can bring decent volunteer numbers to the table to do the scut work, preservation leaders will be impressed by that, and respect tiki passion for this project. The petition drive is a strong indication that there are troops in the field. I would also call the petition a tactic rather than a strategy. The petition will probably not convince Fairmont to change its direction, but it is great evidence of support to, in turn, recruit preservationists into the fight. It is also a hook to get press coverage. Glad to provide further thoughts and whatever help I can lend if someone leading the tiki charge would like to send me a PM. Good luck!

J

Nice, Tiki Central has representation in Washington D.C. !!

Actually my post was not so much a literal "call to action" as it was a self-indulgent "what if". :(

Having gone back and read some of the previous posts (it was one long thread that had gone dormant for a while), I got a sense that most locals have accepted the inevitable. For most here, historic significance or preservation falls low on the list when compared to drink quality and TIPSY factor.

I think the petition is still a great idea as it brings the significance of classic Tiki-style into the media spotlight even if it's limited to local newsprint.

Who knows I may be underestimating TC, I hope someone here takes ownership and reaches out to you.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-03-13 15:29 ]

M

I would show up for a protest, as would many others I bet. :)

T

The best strategy (and probably the only strategy to win) is to get this on the historic preservation list. That would be a permanent solution that would trump the otherwise inevitable business decision based on profitability.

As we all know, listing on the National Register didn't save the Kahiki.

Here's the criteria from the California Office of Historic Preservation for California and Federal Listing (besides it being over 50 years of age, which isn't always a necessary criteria - the Kahiki wasn't 50 when it was listed):

California

• Associated with events that have made a
    significant contribution to the broad
    patterns of local or regional history or the
    cultural heritage of California or the
    United States.
  • Associated with the lives of persons
    important to local, California or national
    history.
  • Embodies the distinctive characteristics
    of a type, period, region or method of
    construction or represents the work of a
    master or possesses high artistic values.
  • Has yielded, or has the potential to yield,
    information important to the prehistory or
    history of the local area, California or the
    nation.

Federal

• Associated with events that have made a
    significant contribution to the broad patterns
    of our history.
  • Associated with the lives of persons
    significant in our past.
  • Embodies the distinctive characteristics of a
    type, period or method of construction, or
    represents the work of a master, or
    possesses high artistic values, or
    represents a significant and distinguishable
    entity whose components may lack
    individual distinction.
  • Has yielded, or may be likely to yield,
    information important in history or
    prehistory.

Seems pretty subjective to me. I doubt most San Franciscans think it qualifies based on the above criteria.

M

subjective to be sure. but we must try just the same.

As someone who has worked in historic preservation, the prior post that being part of the national registry does not protect a site is entirely correct. Only local preservation designation with protection (depending upon the degree of protection, as many would not cover an interior such as the Tonga Room, but only the exterior of a historic structure) would provide any hope of stopping demolition - or at least require a "waiting period" before it occurs. Interiors are very, very difficult to protect in this manner. Public/media awareness is a far better bet, considering preservation laws. In SF, I expect they are pretty strong, as in Savannah, where I worked, but still, your mileage may vary...

GK

J

On 2010-03-18 16:50, Grand Kahu wrote:

...Interiors are very, very difficult to protect in this manner. Public/media awareness is a far better bet, considering preservation laws....

I guess this is why preservationism and Tiki really don't complement each other. The physical structure is (for the most part) just the shell. Take away the Tikis, bamboo, tapa paper, Tropical drinks, Exotica juke box, and you really don't have anything left.

But as I pointed out before, historical significance rates pretty low around here. Tikiphiles prefer a perfectly executed "net new" Tiki Revival place like Forbidden Island over an authentic mid-century classic that's past its prime.

Case in point, does anyone regularly support Trad'r Sam ?? That place dates back to 1937 !! And remember, you don't have to always suffer through a bad Tropical drink. That's why God invented gin and whiskey. :)

On 2010-03-12 12:21, JOHN-O wrote:
Petitions are a great start but to go toe to toe with big business you eventually need to get widespread visibility with the general public. The only way to get that is through major news coverage. To get that coverage you need to create a media circus.

Try to imagine CNN coverage like the following.......

Yesterday, hundreds of protesters garbed in colorful Hawaiian wear blocked all entrances to San Francisco's Fairmont hotel. They sat in front of public access points along with wooden carving they had brought. When asked what they were protesting, this was their statement:

"We're here to bring national, state, and city attention to the planned closure of the Fairmont's Tonga Room. This establishment has major significance not only from a San Francisco historical standpoint but is also one of the few remaining examples of classic Tiki-style. Tiki was a major U.S. cultural phenomenon during America's mid-century and most original Tiki bars and restaurants have long since been demolished. We urge the Fairmont to reconsider their decison. If the Fairmont decides to move ahead with their planned demolition, then we urge the public to show their disapproval by taking their business to hotels other than the Fairmont chain."

Eventually the police showed up, but the sitting protesters moved out of the way and began picketing on the public sidewalk. They vowed to continue their protests for the next several weekends, their goal to bring this unique brand of preservationism into the national consciousness.

(Am I dreaming here ?? And yes this is easy for me to point out sitting 400 miles away in Los Angeles. And why didn't I come up with this bright idea when the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's was being shut down? I admit it was pure apathy. But let's be honest, the future doesn't look good for the TR and a drastic situation is going to require drastic measures. I guess most of us here are past the age where action like this is practical or desirable. If there's an on-line petition to be signed or donations needed to support this effort, someone please post it.)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-03-12 14:13 ]

I like it!
I wonder if the developers couldn't save the Tonga Room, but also have the super lucrative condos!

On 2010-03-12 11:09, martiki wrote:
Folks, I understand your concern. Yes, of course it makes sense to have the event at the Tonga. EXCEPT: The management of the Tonga DOES NOT SUPPORT the effort to save it. So while it's certainly important for all of us to support the Tonga by drinking there, they do not want a preservationist standing up in the middle of the bar and saying, "Hi Fairmont- I'm the guy who has fucked up your plans and cost you thousands in delays in your scheme to turn this bar into luxury apartments for the super rich." Do you see why the Fairmont might not want to be on board with that? I have friends who have talked with the developers - they are NOT pleased about this situation.

Make sense?

Martin, I am with you on this. As the person responsible for organizing this event I have been subjected to pressure to back down, with the developer evening threatening my business. There have been plenty of drink-ins at the Tonga Room. It is great to give the Tonga Room business but what we are trying to do is to get it landmarked, which is going to completely turn the tables on the developer. Having the event at Smugglers Cove will allow us to gather the signatures that we need to do this without the interference of the management. Martin has generously allowed us to use his bar for this event and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Furthermore, addressing John-O: SOS Tonga has enjoyed great publicity up in the Bay Area with spots on KQED's Forum with Michael Krasny, as well as two columns (one by John King and the other by John Carroll) in the San Francisco Chronicle, one in the San Francisco Examiner, postings on dozens of widely read blogs like SF Grubstreet, Curbed SF, etc. The latest is a write up in the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Preservation Magazine coming out in April, which will take the story nationally. This is a volunteer effort. Everyone involved in this has other things going on in their lives. Based on what else is going on in our lives, I think we have garnered a lot of publicity, nearly all of it positive. In addition, we are actually doing something that may, just maybe, stop the demolition of the Tonga Room and get it recognized as a local landmark.

As a reminder, please remember to come out tomorrow night (March 23rd) to Smugglers Cove from 5-7 to sign some petitions and enjoy some cocktails.

I want to sign but can't be there before 9...what to do?

On 2010-03-22 16:43, Aquatic Safarinaut wrote:
I want to sign but can't be there before 9...what to do?

Anyone who can't make it but wants to sign our bitchen' petition......either contact me directly at [email protected] or wait for the next event. We are looking into the possibility of having another event at The Forbidden Island in Alameda. Seriously, we'll have as many of these as we can. Also, we still have some time and at the right time - preferably once we get a hearing at the San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission - we will start having demonstrations in front of the Fairmont. Synchronized paper umbrella drill teams anybody?

Chris VerPlanck

On a side note, the wife and I plus a few friends, who we are trying to convert to Tikism, will be visiting the Tonga Room this Saturday evening for what could very well be our last visit. If you're in the area, swing on by. It would be nice to have some honest to goodness Tiki Freaks there.

SOS Tonga is really pleased with the turnout last night for the Save the Tonga Room Rally at Smugglers' Cove. Thanks to all who came and signed to the petition. We look forward to the next event at The Forbidden Island in Alameda this summer and maybe in Los Angeles later. Meanwhile the work of lobbying the Historic Preservation Commission begins. Stay tuned to these forums and also to the Save the Tonga Room Facebook group. If you aren't on Facebook, send me your email address and I will put together an email listserve group. My email is [email protected] --Chris VerPlanck

On 2010-03-24 10:05, Norcal_Kahuna wrote:
SOS Tonga is really pleased with the turnout last night for the Save the Tonga Room Rally at Smugglers' Cove. Thanks to all who came and signed to the petition. We look forward to the next event at The Forbidden Island in Alameda this summer and maybe in Los Angeles later. Meanwhile the work of lobbying the Historic Preservation Commission begins. Stay tuned to these forums and also to the Save the Tonga Room Facebook group. If you aren't on Facebook, send me your email address and I will put together an email listserve group. My email is [email protected] --Chris VerPlanck

Good job. The first step often is the most challenging.

I couldn't make the meeting on Tuesday night but am looking forward to signing the petition at the upcoming Forbidden Island event!
Will you be gathering donations for all the professional work you are volunteering? If a paypal account is initiated I will be happy to contribute.
mahaloz,
jen

Here is the latest press for the effort to save the Tonga Room.

http://www.preservationnation.org/magazine/2010/may-june/transitions.html

Also, SOS Tonga has started a website: http://www.sostonga.com

Mahalo,

Chris VerPlanck

I hope the preservation Happy Hours work to save the Tonga Room!

Update on Planning Commission activity:

EIR posted here:
http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/files/MEA/III_Project_Description.pdf

Relevant excerpts of EIR:

Alternatives re moving Tonga Room:
http://www.sfplanning.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=8138

Project description: compare East-West elevations page 10 and 36: Tonga Room does not appear in the proposed future plans!
http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/files/MEA/III_Project_Description.pdf

Discussion of historical value of Tonga Room; finding of historical value:
http://www.sfplanning.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=8121

Next Planning Commission meeting June 10th

Submit comments April 28-June 16th to;

Environmental Review Officer
1650 Mission St #400
San Francisco, CA 94103

T

Today the Draft Environmental Impact Report for 950 Mason Street – Fairmont Hotel Project was released to the public here:

http://www.sfplanning.org/index.aspx?page=1828

THE GOOD NEWS:

From sections IV. Environmental Setting, Impacts, and Mitigation,
D. Cultural and Paleontological Resources

The California Register defines an “object” as, “…those constructions that are primarily artistic in nature
or are relatively small in scale and simply constructed, as opposed to a building or structure. Although it
may be moveable by nature of design, an object is associated with a specific setting or environment.” The
California Register also states that an object should be located in an appropriate setting in order to convey its significance. The Planning Department’s HRER concludes that the Tonga Room is an individually
eligible resource under the California Register architecture C/3 Criterion as a “collection of objects” that
dictate their own significance as related to a specific context described below.

The Tonga Room represents a rare remaining example of a distinct phase in post-World War II popular
culture, and includes a substantial number of its distinctive characteristics. Its use of both real (remnants of S.S. Forester) and faux South Pacific and nautical elements, the swimming pool now converted lagoon, the association with designers noted for their connection with important developments in popular culture, and the variety of features used to create the illusion (such as the simulated thunderstorms) make the Tonga Room a strong example of Tiki design. These features recall the architectural design of other Tiki themed restaurants.

Escape was part of the original premise of Tiki bar designs; however, a unique feature of the Tonga Room
that separates it from the majority of other Tiki bars of the period is that the designers were successful in creating a venue where patrons are encouraged to participate in the Tonga Room experience though the
design and placement of the elaborate features. The Tonga Room plays heavily on all sensory perceptions
and the patron’s interaction and immersion within the created environment is critical to understanding its
significance. The Tonga Room represents a collection of objects that were designed, constructed or
manufactured, and located within a specific setting in order to create a stylistic expression and all encompassing experience. Some elements of the interior that are defined as objects and that contribute to
this experience include the half-hourly tropical storm system and its function. Boat Decks A and B, the
Canoe House, the Band Boat, the Island Huts 1 and 2 as well as other character-defining features such as
electric tiki torches and sconces, lava rocks, wood paneling, rattan, and various Polynesian artifacts and
statuary.

The Tonga Room is one of the last major, formally-designed Tiki-themed bars in California that remains
in its original location; with the great majority of its original interior design and décor intact. Specifically, the San Francisco Bay Area previously featured a greater breadth of Tiki culture. Trad’r Sam’s on Geary Boulevard is the only other establishment in the area from the initial era of Tiki design which is still in operation.

The Tonga Room exhibits exceptional importance due to its rarity and as one of the best examples of a
“high-style” Tiki bar/restaurant in San Francisco and California. More than a series of decorative
Polynesian elements, the Tonga Room creates an outdoor environment within an interior space providing
the visitor with a transformative experience to another place and time.32 The Tonga Room, as it is
conveyed as a collection of objects depicted in the design by Howard Hirsch Interior Design and
manufactured and supplied by Oceanic Arts, appears to be individually eligible under the California
Register under the architecture C/3 Criterion. While Hirsch passed away in 1997, the firm exists today
and is still known as a highly regarded design firm that specializes in hotel interiors. Oceanic Arts,
founded by Bob van Oosting and Leroy Schmaltz, still operates as a supplier of Polynesian-themed
products and was responsible for the majority of materials and architectural elements of the Tonga Room.
The Tonga Room embodies the distinctive characteristics of a “high-style” Tiki Bar from the post World
War II period. The period of significance for the Tonga Room is 1967: the year the Howard Hirsch
Interior Design was completed.33,34 Given this, the Tonga Room is a historical resource for the purposes
of CEQA 15064.5(a)(3).

THE BAD NEWS:

Impact CP-1b The proposed project would cause a substantial adverse change in the significance
the Tonga Room, an historic resource (Significant and Unavoidable Impact)

[Criterion D.a]
The Tonga Room is located in the existing podium structure proposed to be demolished as part of the
proposed project. The proposed demolition would remove all character-defining features of the Tonga
Room and this would constitute a substantial adverse change. Relocation of the Tonga Room is not part
of the proposed project.

The Tonga Room is not specifically included in the 2001 NRHP nomination of the Fairmont Hotel.
However, as previously discussed on p. IV.D-24, based on the HRE prepared by Knapp Architects and
the HRER prepared by the Planning Department57, the Tonga Room appears to be eligible for the CRHR.
The proposed demolition of the Tonga Room would therefore be considered a significant impact to a
historic resource under CEQA.

A survey and documentation for the Historic American Building Survey (HABS) (or similar level of
photo documentation) would preserve a record of the Tonga Room (See Mitigation Measure M-CP-1b,
pp. IV.D-37 to IV.D-39). However, this mitigation measure would not reduce the impact to a less-than significant level. The proposed project would result in a significant and unavoidable impact to the Tonga
Room, even with the implementation of Mitigation Measure M-CP-1b.

Alternatives to the proposed project as they pertain to the Tonga Room are discussed in more detail in
Chapter VI, Alternatives.

M-CP-1b: HABS Level I Documentation, Stabilization, & Salvage
If the affected historic resource (Tonga Room) can neither be preserved at its current site, nor moved to
an alternate site and it is to be demolished, a conservation team that meets the Secretary of the Interior’s
Professional Qualification Standards shall document, stabilize, and salvage the character-defining
features, associated with the affected historic resource, for their storage in a secure climate-controlled
location and in a manner to be protected from accelerated deterioration, theft, vandalism, damage, rodents
and pests, or adverse environmental conditions. Character-defining features noted as ephemeral finishes,
such as wallpaper and the significant features of the lagoon, which are found in large quantities, do not
need to be salvaged in their entirety. They shall be salvaged in quantities suitable for educational purposes and/or replication in an alternate location. The documentation, stabilization, and salvage program shall remove and retain all of the Tonga Room’s character-defining features for public information and
education, and/or reuse in an alternate off-site location. Demolition may proceed only after character defining features have been documented in their historic locations and their removal has been completed.

We all know that your can't preserve a classic tiki bar just by salvaging the decor for possible display in a museum. In the draft EIR they even stated (bold added by me):

The Tonga Room is composed of the following major character-defining objects and features. It is
important to note that the setting of the objects and features is a crucial component that is required for the resource to convey its significance.
The characteristics of the following spaces – Entry alcove, Vestibule, Hurricane Bar, Dance Floor, Boat Decks A and B, Lagoon,35 Canoe House, Island Huts 1 and 2, and the Wharf. The Tonga Room contains the following character-defining objects and features:
• The existing wall applications: including lava rock, wood panel, Lauhala mats, rattan, bamboo
and any other materials that date from the 1967 remodel.
• The “architectural” objects: the Canoe House. Island Huts 1-2, the four palapas near the Island
Huts, the Hurricane Bar, the Wharf area, Boat Decks A and B, the Lagoon (Plunge Swimming
Pool) and the Band Boat. The significant features of the Lagoon are the coping, associated lava
rocks, and pool tiles.
• Other character-defining objects and features: the half-hourly tropical storm located above the
lagoon, statuary, including the multiple carved Polynesian artifacts such as the numerous Tikis
located throughout the space, the canoe located in the Canoe House, the carved balustrades and
other elements of the S.S. Forester; light fixtures such as the electric tiki torches and sconces; the
Vishnu statue near the entrance, and signage near the entrance.
• Features or objects that are not character-defining features include carpeting, some wood flooring,
upholstery, ephemeral wall hangings, and furniture.

The Tonga Room retains a high level of historical integrity. The objects associated with its significance,
including the overall spatial characteristics of its setting, date from the 1967 remodel. There have been
some upgrades to the Tonga Room since 1967: it appears that carpeting, furniture upholstery, the dance
floor surface, the bar top on the Hurricane Bar, several wall hangings and light fixtures were replaced or
upgraded in a 2007–2008 remodel. These non-contributing alterations present only a limited impact on
the ability of the original elements’ location, setting, design, workmanship, materials, association, and
feeling to convey their significance. Thus, the Tonga Room is an historical resource for the purposes of
CEQA Section 15064.5(a)(3)

I think that overall the news is good, as the Planning Department has identified it as a significant cultural resource, eligible for State listing . If it is listed perhaps the developers will be influenced enough to save it, or move it into a portion of the hotel.

T

One more thing to add:

The draft EIR stated that the Cirque Room, the cocktail lounge designed by Tomothy Pfluger in 1935, will be preserved! I was worried about it because it is in a part of the hotel which may have been beneath the 1961 addition like the Tonga Room (but it is not).

GK

And it needs to actually BE listed under state law before any of that applies. Less scrupulous developers would rather rush demo work than allow that listing to occur - and then receive a slap on the wrist for doing do. I hope that does not occur.

As much as I appreciate the notion of retaining key elements versus leveling the whole thing, such "preservation salvage" is still dismemberment of the whole, destroying the integrated experience such environments afford. I've seen this approach trumpeted too many times with facades - where the building behind it is completely gone, but one simple face of the building retained as "historic preservation." Better than nothing? Perhaps. A good substitute for a thoughtful holistic approach to preserving a historic structure within the context of contemporary society and commerce? Nah, just easier and cheaper than that route.

GK

Owners of the Fairmont Hotel were provided with options to help them comply with California law when they demolish the historic venue.
The restaurant could be relocated, under one option.
Such bars are no longer economically feasible, according to the report, and that option is unlikely to be pursued.
Also, developers could catalog the contents of the restaurant and store highlights in a climate-controlled facility.
Finally, the decorative elements could be reused elsewhere, perhaps in a new restaurant or bar inside the overhauled building.
Project spokeswoman Susan Sagy welcomed the report in a statement, but declined to discuss Tonga Room plans.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Tonga-Room-deemed-historical-92740999.html#ixzz0n0eITN8P

On 2010-05-04 17:15, christiki295 wrote:
Owners of the Fairmont Hotel were provided with options to help them comply with California law when they demolish the historic venue.
The restaurant could be relocated, under one option.
Such bars are no longer economically feasible, according to the report, and that option is unlikely to be pursued.
Also, developers could catalog the contents of the restaurant and store highlights in a climate-controlled facility.

Looks like its time to pay final visits, as the time for gutting can't be far off.

Tonga Room NEWS from todays SF Chronicle

"Fairmont, preservationists at odds over Tonga Room
Robert Selna, Chronicle Staff Writer Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The owners of San Francisco's Fairmont hotel say a city report's recommendations for saving the popular Tonga Room as part of a major renovation clash with their proposal for a boutique hotel, grand ballroom and condominiums, and that the tiki lounge is inconsistent with the 1907 hotel's history anyway.

The City Planning Department's recently released draft environmental impact report identified the Tonga Room, which was added in 1945, as a "historical resource." As a result, the impact of its proposed demolition and alternatives must be considered before the project goes forward.

That sets up a potential fight between opponents of the demolition - thus far composed of the lounge's fans and some preservationists - and the owners of the hotel, Maritz Wolff & Co. The draft report is scheduled to be reviewed by the city's Historic Preservation Commission on May 19 and the Planning Commission on June 10. The project must receive the approval of each commission to move ahead.

The renovation also would include demolishing the hotel's 26-story tower and replacing it with a building of similar height featuring condominiums, doubling the height of an adjacent five-story podium and renovating a 1935 Art Deco lounge called the Cirque Room.

The removal of the Tonga Room is necessary for plans to move the hotel's grand ballroom from a lower level, where its windowless walls dominate the corner of Powell and California streets to the spot currently occupied by the Tonga. In that location, it would be proximate to other related gathering rooms, according to development adviser Susan Sagy.

"If we keep open the Tonga Room where it is, we cannot create a state-of-the-art ballroom connected to other function rooms. And the ballroom is integral to the purpose of the (remodeled) hotel," Sagy said.

Seeking upscale crowd
Meanwhile, the Tonga Room is not geared toward the crowd the remade hotel believes it will attract or that lives in the surrounding Nob Hill area, she said.

"The hotel is going to become more intimate and upscale, and the food and beverage will need to reflect that. ... If I asked today to put a use like the Tonga Room in this traditional Beaux Arts hotel, do you think I'd be able to get permission? It's so inconsistent."

The underlying reason for the Fairmont renovation is San Francisco's changing hotel economics. Nob Hill hotels have lost guests to South of Market locales as convention business has grown and new lodgings have emerged. To compete, the Fairmont decided it needed to appeal to higher-end travelers who want a boutique hotel experience, with spas, fine dining, and other amenities. The condominiums represent an economic driver, which takes some of the pressure off the hotel.

The city report's historic review was informed by Knapp Architects and San Francisco architect Christopher VerPlanck.

It concluded that the Tonga Room was a historic resource, in part because it "represents a rare remaining example of a distinct phase of post-World War II popular culture, and includes a substantial number of distinctive characteristics."

Support on Facebook
An indoor swimming pool installed at the hotel in 1929, known as the Terrace Plunge, later provided the space for a lagoon and floating stage when the Tonga Room was created in 1945. The restaurant was redesigned in 1967. Referring to its artificial lagoon, rainstorms and lava rock, the report said, "The Tonga Room exhibits exceptional importance due to its rarity and as one of the best examples of 'high-style' Tiki bar/restaurant in San Francisco."

When the hotel renovation plan was announced last year and word spread that the Tonga might close, a "Save the Tonga Room!" Facebook page was created to show support for its survival. An event promoted through the online networking site drew a couple of hundred people.

Organizer Barrett Fallentine said he understands the hotel owners' reasoning, but would hate to see the Polynesian-themed room go by the wayside.

"I used to go there as a younger person, and I still go a lot," said Fallentine, 37. "I'm drawn to things with historical significance, and who doesn't like a good Tiki bar?"

Fallentine said he's committed to trying to save the lounge and will organize events in the future if the situation calls for it.

Rejecting alternatives
Sagy rejected two alternatives the report proposed for relocating the Tonga Room in its entirety on the hotel property. She said a third possibility of a smaller version of the bar was the most plausible physically, but she did not sound enthusiastic.

"One has to question whether any (Tonga Room) is consistent with the historic nature of this hotel," Sagy said.

Longtime neighborhood resident Bob Varni said he supports the remodeling proposal without the Tonga Room. He wants the hotel to attract upscale visitors.

"If this plan is killed, the only way to fill rooms is to drop prices," Varni said. "You drop prices and pretty soon you have a Holiday Inn with RVs parked here, and that's not what Nob Hill should be."

This article appeared on page D - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle"

Chris VerPlanck here, co ringleader of SOS Tonga. We have been meeting with Historic Preservation Commission members and supervisors. The DEIR helps our case in some ways but the most important thing that any of you Tonga Room fans can do is to write to the San Francisco Planning Department:

Devyani Jain
San Francisco Planning Department
1650 Mission Street, Suite 400
San Francisco, CA 94103

SOS Tonga will have a letter template/ideas posted on our website in a few days: http://www.sostonga.com

On 2010-05-04 21:29, abstractiki wrote:
Tonga Room NEWS from todays SF Chronicle

"Fairmont, preservationists at odds over Tonga Room
Robert Selna, Chronicle Staff Writer Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The owners of San Francisco's Fairmont hotel say a city report's recommendations for saving the popular Tonga Room as part of a major renovation clash with their proposal for a boutique hotel, grand ballroom and condominiums, and that the tiki lounge is inconsistent with the 1907 hotel's history anyway.

The City Planning Department's recently released draft environmental impact report identified the Tonga Room, which was added in 1945, as a "historical resource." As a result, the impact of its proposed demolition and alternatives must be considered before the project goes forward.

That sets up a potential fight between opponents of the demolition - thus far composed of the lounge's fans and some preservationists - and the owners of the hotel, Maritz Wolff & Co. The draft report is scheduled to be reviewed by the city's Historic Preservation Commission on May 19 and the Planning Commission on June 10. The project must receive the approval of each commission to move ahead.

The renovation also would include demolishing the hotel's 26-story tower and replacing it with a building of similar height featuring condominiums, doubling the height of an adjacent five-story podium and renovating a 1935 Art Deco lounge called the Cirque Room.

The removal of the Tonga Room is necessary for plans to move the hotel's grand ballroom from a lower level, where its windowless walls dominate the corner of Powell and California streets to the spot currently occupied by the Tonga. In that location, it would be proximate to other related gathering rooms, according to development adviser Susan Sagy.

"If we keep open the Tonga Room where it is, we cannot create a state-of-the-art ballroom connected to other function rooms. And the ballroom is integral to the purpose of the (remodeled) hotel," Sagy said.

Seeking upscale crowd
Meanwhile, the Tonga Room is not geared toward the crowd the remade hotel believes it will attract or that lives in the surrounding Nob Hill area, she said.

"The hotel is going to become more intimate and upscale, and the food and beverage will need to reflect that. ... If I asked today to put a use like the Tonga Room in this traditional Beaux Arts hotel, do you think I'd be able to get permission? It's so inconsistent."

The underlying reason for the Fairmont renovation is San Francisco's changing hotel economics. Nob Hill hotels have lost guests to South of Market locales as convention business has grown and new lodgings have emerged. To compete, the Fairmont decided it needed to appeal to higher-end travelers who want a boutique hotel experience, with spas, fine dining, and other amenities. The condominiums represent an economic driver, which takes some of the pressure off the hotel.

The city report's historic review was informed by Knapp Architects and San Francisco architect Christopher VerPlanck.

It concluded that the Tonga Room was a historic resource, in part because it "represents a rare remaining example of a distinct phase of post-World War II popular culture, and includes a substantial number of distinctive characteristics."

Support on Facebook
An indoor swimming pool installed at the hotel in 1929, known as the Terrace Plunge, later provided the space for a lagoon and floating stage when the Tonga Room was created in 1945. The restaurant was redesigned in 1967. Referring to its artificial lagoon, rainstorms and lava rock, the report said, "The Tonga Room exhibits exceptional importance due to its rarity and as one of the best examples of 'high-style' Tiki bar/restaurant in San Francisco."

When the hotel renovation plan was announced last year and word spread that the Tonga might close, a "Save the Tonga Room!" Facebook page was created to show support for its survival. An event promoted through the online networking site drew a couple of hundred people.

Organizer Barrett Fallentine said he understands the hotel owners' reasoning, but would hate to see the Polynesian-themed room go by the wayside.

"I used to go there as a younger person, and I still go a lot," said Fallentine, 37. "I'm drawn to things with historical significance, and who doesn't like a good Tiki bar?"

Fallentine said he's committed to trying to save the lounge and will organize events in the future if the situation calls for it.

Rejecting alternatives
Sagy rejected two alternatives the report proposed for relocating the Tonga Room in its entirety on the hotel property. She said a third possibility of a smaller version of the bar was the most plausible physically, but she did not sound enthusiastic.

"One has to question whether any (Tonga Room) is consistent with the historic nature of this hotel," Sagy said.

Longtime neighborhood resident Bob Varni said he supports the remodeling proposal without the Tonga Room. He wants the hotel to attract upscale visitors.

"If this plan is killed, the only way to fill rooms is to drop prices," Varni said. "You drop prices and pretty soon you have a Holiday Inn with RVs parked here, and that's not what Nob Hill should be."

This article appeared on page D - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle"

Relocating it, is a bunch of crap (Like Trader Vics in Beverly Hills).
It's either there (In it's present place) or nothing.

Sagy is clear: Creating a "ballroom" equals wedding receptions.
The Fairmont SF charges $189.00 pp for a wedding reception.
http://www.fairmont.com/NR/rdonlyres/F2243C48-466F-4F7A-A10B-4A793D1A8A82/0/SAF_Wedding_Packet_Menu_Jan2009.pdf

I am sure they can't tear down the Tonga Room fast enough.

Hey All, SOS Tonga made their pitch at the San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission today to designate the Tonga Room as a significant interior feature of the Fairmont Hotel. Afterward, Chris VerPlanck of SOS Tonga was interviewed by a reporter from KNTV, NBC Channel 11 (San Jose and San Francisco). They are featuring a spot on the Tonga Room tonight at 6 and again later tonight. Things are coming together!

We will be announcing our next rally/Tonga Room sit in soon.......

If anyone captured interviews off of area newscasts and have added these to YouTube, please post links. We can further posts these on our individual Facebook and MySpace profiles...to help further push the initiative to save the Tonga Room!

T
thejab posted on Thu, May 6, 2010 5:57 PM

Yesterday:

Fairmont's owners don't seem interested in the least in keeping the Tonga around: "The hotel is going to become more intimate and upscale, and the food and beverage will need to reflect that. If I asked today to put a use like the Tonga Room in this traditional Beaux Arts hotel, do you think I'd be able to get permission? It's so inconsistent."

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/around-town/food-drink/Pro-Con-List-and-the-Tonga-Room-92917504.html

Today:

Neighbors and the San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission’s three-person architectural-review committee criticized the tower proposal Wednesday during a hearing.

The modern tower could be appropriate in the Mission Bay or South of Market neighborhoods, officials said, but it doesn’t mesh with the older character of Nob Hill.

Chairman Alan Martinez said the tower’s construction would violate laws that protect the historic character of the adjacent Fairmont Hotel.

The tower would obscure views of the hotel and occupy the original site of the historic building’s garden and terrace, he said.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Fairmont-tower-faces-criticism-92937179.html#ixzz0nCV9JQOe

HA, take THAT developers!

No tower = no financial incentive for the project = the Tonga Room stays!

O
Otto posted on Thu, May 6, 2010 11:21 PM

On 2010-05-05 16:12, Norcal_Kahuna wrote:
... They are featuring a spot on the Tonga Room tonight at 6 and again later tonight. Things are coming together!

I am torn between visiting the Tonga Room now (while it is still around) which will just give more $$ to the folks who want to destroy it, or protesting/sit in etc. and "voting with my pocketbook" by not spending money there.

It's much more fun to fall on the side of supporting the Tonga Room!
Quite frankly I think us Tiki Central NorCal community should establish an official Tonga Room night get together, say every thursday for Happy Hour or the first Thursday of every month?, and rally the troops to let the Tonga Room management know that we truly support it and will continue to support it.

One thing is for sure, if you have never been to the Tonga Room you should make it a top priority within the next year or two

So, who wants to be in charge of launching the official Tiki Central night at the Tonga Room?

On 2010-05-06 23:21, Otto wrote:

So, who wants to be in charge of launching the official Tiki Central night at the Tonga Room?

I nominate Otto!

T

I agree, in that I don't think a strike against the Tonga Room / Fairmount would help matters, and would be a lot less fun.

Great idea on a regular gathering. I think monthly would be more practical than weekly (and perhaps a better turnout if it's less often)? I wouldn't be able to arrive until after happy hour due to work, but I would attend if it lasted past HH.

I second the nomination of Otto!

[ Edited by: thejab 2010-05-07 11:33 ]

On 2010-05-06 23:21, Otto wrote:

On 2010-05-05 16:12, Norcal_Kahuna wrote:
... They are featuring a spot on the Tonga Room tonight at 6 and again later tonight. Things are coming together!

I am torn between visiting the Tonga Room now (while it is still around) which will just give more $$ to the folks who want to destroy it, or protesting/sit in etc. and "voting with my pocketbook" by not spending money there.

I wouldn't worry about the financial issues. Just like Trader Vic's in Bev Hills, the developers are thinking in terms of hundreds of millions of dollars, not a few more hundred on certain nights. Hopefully, it will last forever, but enjoy it now!

The Tonga's future doesn't look bright. The latest update:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/20/BAC41DHH38.DTL

Here is the article in case the link dies someday we will have a record of what these idiots said.

Is Tonga Room tiki bar in S.F. worth saving?
John Wildermuth, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, May 20, 2010

"(05-20) 10:51 PDT San Francisco -- The future grew a bit dimmer for the Fairmont Hotel's landmark Tonga Room Wednesday as members of San Francisco's Historic Preservation Commission couldn't agree on whether the aging tiki bar was worth saving.

"I'm not hearing any consensus on whether the Tonga Room is significant or not," commission Vice President Courtney Damkroger said. The commission was reviewing the environmental impact report on a Fairmont construction project that could spell the end for the lava walls, ersatz lagoon and twice-an-hour rainstorms that have been part of the tropical-themed room for decades.

The owners of the Fairmont have plans to demolish a 28-story hotel tower and podium built in 1961 and replace it with a 31-story condominium tower and podium. The plans also include remodeling and upgrading the original 1906 Fairmont Hotel building.

That hotel's new plan doesn't include a home for the Tonga Room.

The theme restaurant, which was considered an over-the-top design even in its heyday in the '60s and '70s, would have "no visual, programmatic, or qualitative connection with the classic Beaux Arts building" that makes up the original hotel, the project architect told city planners.

Moving the Tonga Room elsewhere in the hotel also doesn't work, according to the environmental impact report, because it would have to displace such historic spots as the Venetian Room, the Gold Room or the Terrace Room, which all better fit the upscale, five-star hotel image the remodel is designed to invoke.

All might be forgiven if the Tonga Room was making money, but, as the hotel owners told planners, the restaurant "has varied success and an inconsistent attraction mostly on weekends to transient hotel guests and some narrow local constituencies."

That's no surprise to Robert Varni, who lives near the Fairmont and wants to see it upgraded. San Francisco's old tropical-themed restaurants and bars, like Trader Vic's and Zanzibar, had their day and disappeared, he said.

"Tiki bars are no longer where it's at," Varni told the commission. The Fairmont's owners "want to create a five-star hotel and five-star hotels don't have tiki bars."

One possibility would be to disassemble the Tonga Room and see if there are any interested buyers, said Damkroger, who said she sees the restaurant as a potential historic resource for the city.

"I haven't heard anyone making a statement that it has to stay where it is," she said.

But other commissioners worried that fighting to save a hotel bar was moving far afield for people in the historic preservation business.

"We're moving into dangerous territory to tell someone when they have to stay in business," said Commissioner Alan Martinez.

If places like the Tonga Room become a concern of the commission, where does it end? asked Commissioner Karl Hasz.

"The first steak house in the city can never be touched?" he asked. "We're going too far."

The commission had other concerns about the Fairmont project, noting that the new tower would mar the look of the historic hotel, even as the 1961 tower did.

The existing tower doesn't meet current historic preservation standards, "but why is it OK to put something back that doesn't meet those standards either?" asked Commissioner Andrew Wolfram.

The commission agreed to send a letter to the Planning Commission, listing their concerns about the Fairmont project and its environmental impact report.

A public hearing on the report, which will include any concerns about the Tonga Room, is scheduled for the Planning Commission's June 10 meeting."

So, Tiki fans are "narrow local constituencies."

"All might be forgiven if the Tonga Room was making money, but, as the hotel owners told planners, the restaurant "has varied success and an inconsistent attraction mostly on weekends to transient hotel guests and some narrow local constituencies."

But, yes, the future does not look bright for the Tonga Room.

C

Imagine how much money they could make if the food & drinks didn't suck like they have for years?

"If places like the Tonga Room become a concern of the commission, where does it end? asked Commissioner Karl Hasz.

"The first steak house in the city can never be touched?" he asked. "We're going too far."

Wow... the guy confuses and equates a local steak house with part of Americas mid century cultural History. So disappointing to say the least.

Hi All,

Chris VerPlanck here of SOS Tonga. Although it should be no surprise, this article in the Chron was complete puff piece submitted by the developer full of their talking points against the Tonga. I wrote this letter to the editor today after reading the article. I also wrote a piece for the Open Forum section. Had to keep it brief, at 200 words, which is tough to do given the complexity of the battle at this point.

Editor, SF Chronicle

I realize that our efforts to designate the Tonga Room are controversial, but I object to the tone of Mr. Wildermuth's article in the May 20th edition.

Mr. Wildermuth fails to acknowledge that the Planning Department recognizes that the Tonga Room is a historic resource. None of the historic preservation commissioners disputed this in the hearing on Wednesday.

Second, Mr. Wildermuth fails to mention that the Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) contains two viable preservation alternatives, the superior of which would move the Tonga Room to the new podium structure on Powell Street, at the cost of 18 parking spaces!

Third, Mr. Wildermuth clearly has no understanding of contemporary Bay Area night life. In contrast to what he and the Fairmont developers say, Polynesian Pop/Tiki bars have been experiencing a revival over the last decade. Take it from the Fairmont's own public relations department: “Today, The Tonga Room is riding the wave of the tiki revival and recently has been recognized as one of the nation’s hottest bars…”

The Tonga Room is the best-preserved and most elaborate Polynesian Pop-themed restaurant/lounge spaces left in the United States. Why displace it for more high-end parking? For more, see SOSTonga.com

Sincerely,

Chris VerPlanck

Anyway, the good news is that the Planning Department and most of the Historic Preservation Commissioners agree that the Tonga Room is a historic resource and that boxing it up and storing it is not an appropriate treatment. There is an alternative in the EIR that would preserve the Tonga Room by moving it into the new structure: same size and with the pool and band boat. Of course, the developers don't want to do this because the Tonga Room does not match their concept of a "Classist Modern" 5-star hotel.

These goons don't even know what they have. If they ran it even slightly better than it is now, we would see that place packed every night with locals and turistas.

MOre soon. I am in the process of moving my business, so reports are a little spotty.

Chris V.

On 2010-05-20 17:12, abstractiki wrote:
Here is the article in case the link dies someday we will have a record of what these idiots said.

Is Tonga Room tiki bar in S.F. worth saving?
John Wildermuth, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, May 20, 2010

"(05-20) 10:51 PDT San Francisco -- The future grew a bit dimmer for the Fairmont Hotel's landmark Tonga Room Wednesday as members of San Francisco's Historic Preservation Commission couldn't agree on whether the aging tiki bar was worth saving.

"I'm not hearing any consensus on whether the Tonga Room is significant or not," commission Vice President Courtney Damkroger said. The commission was reviewing the environmental impact report on a Fairmont construction project that could spell the end for the lava walls, ersatz lagoon and twice-an-hour rainstorms that have been part of the tropical-themed room for decades.

The owners of the Fairmont have plans to demolish a 28-story hotel tower and podium built in 1961 and replace it with a 31-story condominium tower and podium. The plans also include remodeling and upgrading the original 1906 Fairmont Hotel building.

That hotel's new plan doesn't include a home for the Tonga Room.

The theme restaurant, which was considered an over-the-top design even in its heyday in the '60s and '70s, would have "no visual, programmatic, or qualitative connection with the classic Beaux Arts building" that makes up the original hotel, the project architect told city planners.

Moving the Tonga Room elsewhere in the hotel also doesn't work, according to the environmental impact report, because it would have to displace such historic spots as the Venetian Room, the Gold Room or the Terrace Room, which all better fit the upscale, five-star hotel image the remodel is designed to invoke.

All might be forgiven if the Tonga Room was making money, but, as the hotel owners told planners, the restaurant "has varied success and an inconsistent attraction mostly on weekends to transient hotel guests and some narrow local constituencies."

That's no surprise to Robert Varni, who lives near the Fairmont and wants to see it upgraded. San Francisco's old tropical-themed restaurants and bars, like Trader Vic's and Zanzibar, had their day and disappeared, he said.

"Tiki bars are no longer where it's at," Varni told the commission. The Fairmont's owners "want to create a five-star hotel and five-star hotels don't have tiki bars."

One possibility would be to disassemble the Tonga Room and see if there are any interested buyers, said Damkroger, who said she sees the restaurant as a potential historic resource for the city.

"I haven't heard anyone making a statement that it has to stay where it is," she said.

But other commissioners worried that fighting to save a hotel bar was moving far afield for people in the historic preservation business.

"We're moving into dangerous territory to tell someone when they have to stay in business," said Commissioner Alan Martinez.

If places like the Tonga Room become a concern of the commission, where does it end? asked Commissioner Karl Hasz.

The commission had other concerns about the Fairmont project, noting that the new tower would mar the look of the historic hotel, even as the 1961 tower did.

The existing tower doesn't meet current historic preservation standards, "but why is it OK to put something back that doesn't meet those standards either?" asked Commissioner Andrew Wolfram.

The commission agreed to send a letter to the Planning Commission, listing their concerns about the Fairmont project and its environmental impact report.

A public hearing on the report, which will include any concerns about the Tonga Room, is scheduled for the Planning Commission's June 10 meeting."

Go gettem Chris, thank you for your unfettered and unerring commitment to the cause! These developers sure know how to take one's wind out of one's sails, making the media make it sound like it's all hopeless. Thanks for the up-sounding update, all the work you did for this cause is much appreciated.

Was your letter published?

It is excellent that somehow the Tonga Room could fit on a space with 18 parking places.

I trully believe if the Fairmont corp. spent their marketing dollars wisely and did
some minor up grades as well as more tiki, this could be "the place" to go to in
San Fran .It needs to appeal to out of towners there on vacation as well as people
there on business.It can't survive by locals only, however local support and patronage
is important.Go back and look at the old B&W pics of this place when it was built as
a ship .This was the place to go and be entertained and dance , drink and have a
great time.It needs to be "the place " again , and it could be if it was managed
and marketed properly.That's my three cents worth .

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-05-20 22:43 ]

O
Otto posted on Thu, May 20, 2010 11:19 PM

With quotes like the ones below taken from the SF Gate, it is clear that the only way to save the Tonga Room is to visit it now, visit it often, take pictures, and save it in your memories. If you don't have any past memories of the Tonga Room now is the time to start making some. Wouldn't you hate to have to say, "I wish I could've seen it before it was destroyed."

http://www.nobhillassociation.org/Fairmont_Social.asp?id=14

FYI, Robert Varni appears to be a minor political figure and old-money Nob Hill socialite. The type who frequent $100+ per person restaurants and find Pop Culture pedestrian.

O
Otto posted on Thu, May 20, 2010 11:33 PM

let's start an unofficial Tonga Room Tiki night!

I'll start it off easy - one night a month when Tiki Centralites and Tiki fans converge on the Tonga Room wearing your finest Aloha wear and imbibe and take pictures to share with the world

Once we agree on the night of the month and the opening night, I will start a separate thread for this.

Let's also determine goals and wishes for the event

I would like the Tonga Room management to add a sign in book like they have at hotels, gallery exhibits, weddings so that visitors to the Tonga Room can sign in and post their grief over this situation since we are not getting quoted in the paper like Robert Varni.

I would like to see individual nights sponsored by groups or businesses so that every Tiki guest who shows up that night receives something such as a discount coupon or free Tiki Farm swizzle stick (hint Holden!)

I would like people from Tiki Central who may not have met other Tiki Centralites to have one more opportunity to bond with their fellow Tiki fans

I would like my last memories of the Tonga Room to be memories filled with meeting friends there!

I propose the second Wednesday of EVERY month be our Tonga Room day.
Monday is too early in the week, Tuesday is TC night at Smuggler's Cove, Thur/Fri are party nights in SF and it might be crowded and we might not stand out as much, SECOND Wed because I have a FIRST Wed of the month DJ gig at Forbidden Island.

We could kick it off June 9?
July 14, Aug 11, Sep 8, Oct 13, Nov 10, Dec 8, Jan 12, etc

All those in favor say "Aye!"

On 2010-05-20 22:39, 1961surf wrote:
I trully believe if the Fairmont corp. spent their marketing dollars wisely and did
some minor up grades as well as more tiki, this could be "the place" to go to in
San Fran .It needs to appeal to out of towners there on vacation as well as people
there on business.

Disappointingly, the response has to be, unequivocally, no it can't.

The ownership wants a "ballroom" for wedding receptions.
The Fairmont SF charges $189.00 pp for a wedding reception.
http://www.fairmont.com/NR/rdonlyres/F2243C48-466F-4F7A-A10B-4A793D1A8A82/0/SAF_Wedding_Packet_Menu_Jan2009.pdf

Almost $200.00 per person (lets' say times 100 guests) even once a week will far exceed the amount of mai tais sold the rest of the week.

J

On 2010-05-20 23:33, Otto wrote:
let's start an unofficial Tonga Room Tiki night!

I propose the second Wednesday of EVERY month be our Tonga Room day.
Monday is too early in the week, Tuesday is TC night at Smuggler's Cove, Thur/Fri are party nights in SF and it might be crowded and we might not stand out as much, SECOND Wed because I have a FIRST Wed of the month DJ gig at Forbidden Island.

We could kick it off June 9?
July 14, Aug 11, Sep 8, Oct 13, Nov 10, Dec 8, Jan 12, etc

All those in favor say "Aye!"

Aye!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 435 replies