Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Holiday Tiki Mug Trade-Off... any takers??

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 239 replies

VERY nice closettiki... Tiki Kupcake really did you right...

so...so right....

I had a bottle of rum, and now I do not.

But once... I had a bottle of rum just like that, lol!

THE RUM IS GONE........
why is the rum gone.?

it made a very fine mai tai.......

yum

A RUM EXCHANGE!? Mmmmm....

Closettiki, I'm glad you liked everything. I thought that rum might come into use.

Here's my really great gift from Soccer Tiki. Loving it all! Thanks, again!

LT

On 2008-12-17 18:48, Tiki Kupcake wrote:

I see snow! Brrrrrrr, your pink flamingo is cooooold!

T

On 2008-12-17 12:52, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
15 days since the gift swap started swapping and still Bongo has an empty mailbox... Darn... The truth is I expected as much 'cause I haven't been a very good boy this year:

-I sometimes hid tiki items at the thrift stores so I could come back for them later. That's bad.
-There's been a few times I drank my Mai Tai without bothering with the garnish. That's really bad.
-Some days I didn't even once check out Tiki Central. I know that's bad.
-I started this one post without doing a good job searching first for similar posts. That's seriously bad.
-I visited my brother in Florida north of Palm Beach and didn't make the drive to the Mai Kai. That's too bad.
-I listened to some Jimmy Buffett music. That's certainly bad.
-I've described my tiki office decor as finished even though the ceiling is still white. That sure is bad.

Yep, yep, yep... you can see I could have been better...
Next year, I'm gonna be really, really good for next year...
Can't wait for next year...

Well it's listening to Jimmy Buffet that put you on the Naughty List for sure... Next year if you only listen to approved music maybe Santa will treat you better?

T

Had a package delivered today... couldn't wait to bust it open!

Here's what I found inside:

A cool Doug Horne Tiki Farm mug
A little bottle of Cockspur Rum
Some interesting swizzles
A pack of those twisty bamboo cocktail garnish skewers.

All courtesy of Kalewikiki!

The rum is going right into the mug as part of a mai tai that will be swizzled by one of the swizzles...

The skewers will come in very handy for our next tiki drinky evening!

MAHALO HALEWIKIKI!!!

I'm with Beth on this one, Bongo! This is a Buffet-free zone! Hey! Did ya ever wonder if he's a TC member & we don't even know it? :lol:
P.S.: Mine arrived today. I'll bet you'll see yours by the end of the week. I had to send my package a long way & it still hasn't arrived at its destination! I think Rick intentionally hooked people up from different parts of the planet so we'd get kool stuff we couldn't otherwise get.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2008-12-17 19:38 ]

Believe or not, there's a very scientific way I match everybody up.

I put everybody's name into a hat and my kids pick the names. They can't wait to come over and see what I got. They also want to check out everybody else too. They remember the "funny names" some of you grace the thread with.. LOL

No shipping updates today. I'm waiting for just one more person to send an update.

Cheers!

Rick

Finally!

An interesting looking box arrived at my door today.

Inside it were many fun and surprising things. The first item I discovered was a tiki mug.

Not just any tiki mug but a Steve Crane mug from Kon Tiki Ports! Sweet, did not have one of these.

Next, I find some cool swizzles, including a Trader Vics and a Hale Tiki.

But wait, there's more..

A pirate rum mug AAARRRGGG.

What's this? A Road to Bali dvd with Bob and Bing. Old School cool!

Here's all of the the loot!

A big holiday thanks to Mike T. for all of the great stuff. I did not get your TC name so let me know who you are.

Dustycajun

On 2008-12-17 19:37, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm with Beth on this one, Bongo! This is a Buffet-free zone! Hey! Did ya ever wonder if he's a TC member & we don't even know it? :lol:
P.S.: Mine arrived today. I'll bet you'll see yours by the end of the week. I had to send my package a long way & it still hasn't arrived at its destination! I think Rick intentionally hooked people up from different parts of the planet so we'd get kool stuff we couldn't otherwise get.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2008-12-17 19:38 ]

THAT'S IT!

My trader is probably located on some small, polynesian island far from a post office, airport, roads and carrier pigeon roosts. So as soon as the tides are right, my trader will shoot his outrigger through the small break in the dangerous reef that protects his palm tree lined lagoon, catch the eye of a lookout on a passing freighter, and implore the captain, in his best broken english, to take on my package!

So of course my mug would take longer to arrive! Whew! I was worried, but now I'm OK!

Let's just hope he doesn't drop it in that volcano he has to traverse!

Aloha all!

Here is what I got from Aubrey. Wooden handled tiki mug, ceramic mug from Hawaii, Trader Vic's Menehune picks and The Beachcomber picks, a cool image of tikis playing cards and a ceramic mini tiki mask that looks like one of the tikis at the table (can you tell which one)? I also got leied! On a side note my screen name has changed from Kalewikiki to AceyTiki.

Hope everyone is staying tropically warm today. It's snowing here in Portland -Whoo Hoo! It's gonna be a white Christmas!

Thanks again, this was fun!

Mele Kalikimaka!

On 2008-12-17 19:31, tobunga wrote:
Had a package delivered today... couldn't wait to bust it open!

Here's what I found inside:

A cool Doug Horne Tiki Farm mug
A little bottle of Cockspur Rum
Some interesting swizzles
A pack of those twisty bamboo cocktail garnish skewers.

All courtesy of Kalewikiki!

The rum is going right into the mug as part of a mai tai that will be swizzled by one of the swizzles...

The skewers will come in very handy for our next tiki drinky evening!

MAHALO HALEWIKIKI!!!

Glad you liked the package tobunga!

That mug color is retired in case you didn't know. Tiki Farm came out with a new green color for it but I don't think it looks a neat as the brown. I wasn't sure if the little rum bottle was allowed to send in the mail but I did it anyway. Enjoy in good health!!!

In case of any confusion I had my screen name changed from Kalewikiki to AceyTiki, it fits me better.

Mele Kalikimaka!

Gee, you would think that AceyTiki and I are together based on the extras that were sent in each of our packages. Funny pictures of both were posted on the same day. I'll keep in mind how the mini bottles of rum were a hit for next time. Valentine's mug exchange?

Greetings and many thanks to TikiPug from the great state of Nevada...What a great collection of Tiki arrived in that box...Thanks for the shirt and mugs...a new outfit for standing on corner holding my sign "Will work for Mia Tia"....my old corner by Trader Vic"s in Dallas was getting crowded, I'll stand out now...A special note to all those of the Buffett free zone..Try his live in Hawaii recording..he pays tribute to Martin Deny and has special guest Don Ho...with friends like that he can't be all bad...besides you don't have to be good to be popular...Happy Holidays to all of you, be your "Tiki" covered in snow or standing in the shade of a palm tree..may we all continue to enjoy our common likes and speak well of dislikes...

This year I participated in the mug swap twice and boy am I a happy camper! I got this great box of aloha from teh House of Ku today!

many mahalos for your generosity.
I LOVE the fact you dug up that little tiki charm from the burned out ashes of the CocoJoe factory! What a great story.
I will be wearing the Plumeria in my hair at our Holiday Hukilau party this weekend and that big Gecko mug will be in my hand full of some fruity blend. Thanks so much!

Great swap guys, I love this!

Well, my package was in my P.O. Box today (o.k., not in the box, because it didn't fit) but the slip was there. Many people in line to ship stuff out, but I weathered the wait, which wasn't long because the postal workers saw my slip and called me to the front of the line.

This is the third time I have participated in the mug trade. Each time has been great and I have received some pretty awesome stuff. If you have not been involved in this, I definitely recommend doing so!

This time was no exception.

I opened my package to find a note with the following message:

Happy Holidays PTD! Sorry for the late delivery. Cass aka Ocea Otica. Please find in the package:

1 mug, 1 mini bottle of Havana Club Silver, 1 Tiki Ti menu, 1 bag assorted swizzles, bar napkins, Holiday cards and and issue of Tiki News.

All I can say is "Sheebang, Wowza". The mug is #5 0f 6 Tumbuna, Soil of New Guinea. Great craftsmanship and detail and quite possibly the largest mug I know own. You may have just melted this old Grinch's heart!

Monkeys in a coconut tree and Hale Tiki Augusta Georgia cocktail napkins. Four swizzles, including one from the Hale Tiki and one from Oceanic Arts. Tiki Ti menu, which I now will have to visit, sweet Holiday cards with flaming volcano drink bowls on them, some soon to be tasted and enjoyed Havana Club Silver Dry rum, a couple of Muntiki stickers and believe it or not, my first issue of Tiki News!

Cass aka Ocea Otica, thank you so very much for your generosity and thoughfulness and Happy Holidays!

Rick, again, Mahalo brother for putting us all in the Holiday spirit!

PTD

On 2008-12-18 10:21, AceyTiki wrote:
Aloha all!

Here is what I got from Aubrey. Wooden handled tiki mug, ceramic mug from Hawaii, Trader Vic's Menehune picks and The Beachcomber picks, a cool image of tikis playing cards and a ceramic mini tiki mask that looks like one of the tikis at the table (can you tell which one)? I also got leied! On a side note my screen name has changed from Kalewikiki to AceyTiki.

Hope everyone is staying tropically warm today. It's snowing here in Portland -Whoo Hoo! It's gonna be a white Christmas!

Thanks again, this was fun!

Mele Kalikimaka!

Glad you got everything okay Acey (or should I say Kalewikiki?). For some reason, I always forget to include my TC name in these gift exchanges...

...anyway, that ceramic PNG mask is one that I think could/should be painted before displayin', but I'll leave that up to you.
Mele Kalikimaka!

OK, folks the 2008 Holiday Mug Trade Off has come to a successful close. The last two trades have been shipped so leleliz and Brandomoai should expect something soon.

Mahalo for all those who participated and keep the pictures coming.

Happy Holidays, Mele Kalikimaka to one and all..

See you next year..

Rick

LT

On 2008-12-18 22:08, Bogielocks wrote:
OK, folks the 2008 Holiday Mug Trade Off has come to a successful close. The last two trades have been shipped so leleliz and Brandomoai should expect something soon.

See you next year..

Rick

Thanks again Rick for making the time and effort to coordinate the Trades!

T

On 2008-12-18 22:08, Bogielocks wrote:

See you next year..

Rick

It's not over yet folks, we have to check out what is in those last two boxes for Leleliz and Brandomoai! So, I'm waiting until I see them before I can say it's over. How excited are you all? Only 6 more days...... So for now, from my house to all of yours, have a very Safe, Healthy and possibly Wealthy, Holiday! And thanks to everyone, this was my first exchange and I'm loving it! Can't wait to do it again. So let me say it now, you don't have to wait for me to respond for the next one, just count me in and let me know when!

PS. You notice there is no tree topper? That's because last year I fell into the tree and smashed half of the ornaments and almost took the tree out. But the tree won, I ended up with some really bad bruising and almost broke my ankles. My ankles were hung up in the damn three stepped stool I was standing on. My son said I looked like a skier going off the ski jump! :lol: :lol:

Still waiting by the mailbox...
So I know this isn't over...
Me and Charlie Brown waitin' by the mailbox...
Mine'll be here any day now...
Gonna be here any day now...
And I'll post a big ol' picture...
It's gonna be great...

T

Hell Yeh!! This thing ain't over yet!! Not until every Tiki is safe and sound!!
Still waiting for mine and I know my Texas (Hmmm..) package has not arrived yet!!
Well, I haven't seen anything.

Thanks again to Rick (Bogielocks) for setting this all up! Many Mahalos!!

TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2008-12-19 05:58 ]

It ain't over yet... Nope...
I reckon one of the packages I sent out over a week ago ain't arrived yet... prioritee, schmioritee....
Lemmie know if an' when yuh receives it, secret giftee....

I also reckon I wanna see a lot more pics from you people...

ST

L

PS. You notice there is no tree topper? That's because last year I fell into the tree and smashed half of the ornaments and almost took the tree out. But the tree won, I ended up with some really bad bruising and almost broke my ankles. My ankles were hung up in the damn three stepped stool I was standing on. My son said I looked like a skier going off the ski jump! :lol: :lol:

Just think if you would of gotten that on video!! You could of easily won the 5k on America's Funniest Home Videos--damn!

Thanks for the update Rick. The wait is over...well not quite. I was hoping to get my trade before I left for vacation but looks like I will be getting it upon my return so expect pics from me in about 3 weeks or so.

Hopefully Bongo will post his before I get to post mine!

Merry Yule y'all.

[ Edited by: leleliz 2008-12-19 09:43 ]

leleliz have a wonderful vacation!

I have been busy with the finals and all things college. My gifts arrived on monday or tuesday and they rocked! Got an excellent crossed armed tiki by omc, that i didn't have. Piles of other rad stuff. Thanks again, Sneakytiki. I am greatly relieved your packaged arrived Dustycajun, I was worried about the pirate mug. Looking forward to next year, because this was a great experience.

LOL Tiki- my flamingo is VERY cold!

It's been 10 days since I shipped my package. I'd really like to know if it arrived safely. If you received a package from me, please let me know that it arrived safely.
Thanks,
Rick

Braving the intermittent snow, rainstorms and bursts of strangely springlike weather, I made it out to my porch just the other day to find a package that made its way south from Edmonton! Sweet Daddy Tiki sent me a handcrafted mug, a woodon idol marked "Compliment Polynesian Import Ltd.", and a set of Bali Hai wine glass tags. Cool Stuff! Thanks a lot!

Always a fun time. Look forward to the next one.
Happy Holidays!

Okay! Things have finally calmed down a little bit & I was able to take pics of my kool package. I got home Wednesday, after working 13 hours & found this package waiting for me:

OH, BOY!!!! I carefully opened the package, saving the kool wrapping paper, (I'll find some way to use it in the lounge). Inside was a smorgasbord of Poly Pop Culture!
First, a place mat from Minnie's & a couple of great swizzles from Forbidden Island & Conga Lounge:

A napkin from Damon's, a Tonga Hut 50th button & matchbooks from Trader Vic's Emeryville, Sam's Seafood & two from Bahooka:

Next up a program from In Search Of Tiki, simply awesome, & a Sculpture & Scribbles field guide:

Next, a super anniversary glass from Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room:

Rounding out the culture part of our program was some kool Tikiyaki swag:

Now a plethora of way-kool Eric October art:
A Tiki God On A Stick, A Tiki Bar Protector God & a personalized Christmas card from the man himself:

A pair of ambiance candles, woohoo!:

A pair of neato Tiki prints, another swank Christmas card & an awesome hand-painted Tiki box!!!!:

Now, I'm no Frank Hardy, but by now I've figured out that my Secret Santa is Eric October aka tobunga. Eric, I gotta tell ya; you went WAY above & beyond the call of duty on this one. Honestly, for a guy in Massachusetts to receive all of this kool stuff from the West Coast is really something special! I spent a couple hours just pouring over this stuff, no longer exhausted from my long day at work, but completely re-energized.
Now, on every sunny day, a little rain must fall:

The mug didn't fare so well. Eric, I know you're gonna feel bad about this, but honestly, after all the other kool stuff, the mug was almost secondary. You managed to decorate half my lounge in one shot! Even with the tragedy, I am thrilled with my package & I can't thank you enough!
Mahalo,
Rick
Big Kahuna

P.S: Rick, thank you again for putting together this great swap. I'm already planning my package for the next one!

On 2008-12-19 21:07, caffeinated wrote:
Braving the intermittent snow, rainstorms and bursts of strangely springlike weather, I made it out to my porch just the other day to find a package that made its way south from Edmonton! Sweet Daddy Tiki sent me a handcrafted mug, a woodon idol marked "Compliment Polynesian Import Ltd.", and a set of Bali Hai wine glass tags. Cool Stuff! Thanks a lot!

I know it looks crude enough to be something I could have made myself, but actually the mug is from Trader Vic's Waikiki and was made by Polynesian Pottery (which became Daga). Ooga-Mooga entry.

T

The mug didn't fare so well. Eric, I know you're gonna feel bad about this, but honestly, after all the other kool stuff, the mug was almost secondary. You managed to decorate half my lounge in one shot! Even with the tragedy, I am thrilled with my package & I can't thank you enough!
Mahalo,
Rick
Big Kahuna

P.S: Rick, thank you again for putting together this great swap. I'm already planning my package for the next one!

I agree totally with the Big Kahuna. After all, we should remember this was a mug exchange. Plural a single mug.

Every picture shown here shows us that everyone went above and beyond that. I was so excited with all the other things that did make it's way to me in one piece. And that's what will always put a smile on my face! :) And the one that didn't make it, well its a lesson learned. I'll make sure to package my next exchange with lots of popcorn. Mine was sent the same way as my gift-er Matt Reese sent his. How my package got here in one piece and his didn't, Oh well shit happens, I guess it's the luck of the draw with the postal service, some with make it and some won't. Again with a little sunshine, some rain must fall! I'm still happy and thankful to both Matt and Rick. :D :D
Now lets see, was the next exchange going to be for Valentines Day? :lol:

I'll have a blue mug exchange without you.
I'll be so blue just thinking about you.
Decorations of red on a green tiki tree,
Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me.

And when those blue snowflakes start falling,
That's when those blue memories start calling.
You'll be doin' all right, with your packages of white.
But I'll have a blue, blue blue blue mug exchange.

(instrumental break-down with lots of crying)

You'll be doin' all right, with your packages of white,
But I'll have a blue, blue mug exchange.

T

Many thanks to Gogo for my great package! I love everything especially the coconut monkey. Sorry this is late but I have been running around like a crazy person!

Beth

P.S. Can't wait for the Easter Moai trade!

Hey Tikisgrl, nice score and thank you, thank you, thank you for posting PICTURES!!

Mele Kalikimaka!

8T

On 2008-12-20 18:11, Tikisgrl wrote:
Sorry this is late but I have been running around like a crazy person!

Well I don't know how crazy she is but I CAN tell how nice she is. Here's a story of a completely unexpected and wonderful package that arrived at the home of the 8FT Tiki. I innocently assumed that the box on my porch was from my trader. Well when I opened it up, I read a note that said "This is not your mug trade". huh??? As it turns out, Tikisgrl and I had both been unlucky with another participant in the past and she made things all better by sending me a heapin' helpin' of aloha spirit. Take a look at the wonderfulness she sent me. Now THAT'S the TC ohana takin' care of one another for sure!!! Thanks again Beth...hope you don't mind me sharing your kindness to 'ol 8FT with the rest of the folks.

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2008-12-21 07:00 ]

What a lovely gesture Tikisgrl!
Nice mugs and great photos 8ft!

I forgot that this was coming with all I have been doing lately so it was a bit of a surprise when I got this package at the door on Friday.
I was pretty stoked when I was opening it to check out my goodies my Mysterious Santa sent me.
Thank you very much B. Ray (Don't know TC Name) from Scato, Ca!!! My box was filled with lot's of goodies and this was a real treat!! I too, did not have this mug in my collection and I love the extra's!! Thanks again!!

Easter Island/Moai Mug Trade off for Easter in April sounds like it might be cool!!

I received:
The Tikinator Mug by Tiki Farm
Shag Pink Panther Napkins
2 Oceanic Art Rubber Backed Coasters
Forbidden Island Stir Stix
Cool Fish Sticker
2 Different Trader Vic Labels

Thanks again to B. Ray for some nice items!!
Happy Holidays everyone!!

TabooDan

I just had a long-awaited visit from a Canada Post van driver

My trader is from Massachusetts again (last time it was tikisgrl)

This time its Big Kahuna

getting closer

A bowl from the Kowloon - very cool

and a vintage Orchids bamboo mug

and a swizzle from the Kahiki - the first item of any sort I have from there

A big Mahalo and Mele Kalikimaka, Big Kahuna, and to the other Rick (Bogielocks) for organizing this once again. I'm definitely in again for next time.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-12-22 13:58 ]

On 2008-12-19 22:52, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I know it looks crude enough to be something I could have made myself, but actually the mug is from Trader Vic's Waikiki and was made by Polynesian Pottery (which became Daga). Ooga-Mooga entry.

Thanks for the info. I like the crudeness of it no matter its origins. Thanks again!

Hello? Should I stop looking for a package in the mail?

Eleven days since my person stated my mug was sent. That's longer than it could take. And, I'm OK really. I've had fun posting my anticipatory comments. And if it never actually got sent, due to some unfortunate problems, I understand and that's OK too.

Happy holidays! Aloha!

T

Bongo I feel your pain, I'm waiting for my package to arrive too, just from the opposite side as mine was sent and not yet received :0(

Beth

Hey Sweet Daddy T...

Did you know I'm from Massachusetts too... LOL

Glad you got a nice score..

Cheers!

Rick

On 2008-12-23 20:51, Bogielocks wrote:
Cheers!
Rick

Bogie,

There are a few folks out there who did not get their mugs for X-Mas. Maybe you could follow-up with some PMs to the folks on your of list participants to fix that if possible.

Thanks again,

DC

(Sing along with Bongo)

Maybe it's just, too early in the game;
Ah, but I thought, I'd ask you just the same--
Where is my tiki, New Year's, New Year's Eve?

Wonder whose arms, will hold you good and tight
When you've not been delivered, to me yet that night?
Still without tiki, New Year's, New Year's Eve.

(bridge)
Maybe I'm crazy, to suppose
I'd ever receive, the mug you chose.
Out of the thousand, mug exchangers, on TC.

Ah, but in case, I stand one little chance,
Here comes the jackpot, question in advance,
Where is my tiki, New Years, (big finish) New Year's Eve?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 239 replies