Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai Kai renovations

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

Valet Roof is complete and looks fantastic!

I was drinking while operating the camera, so that didn't work out so well.

The new chairs have arrived! Around 3 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 23, the Mai-Kai was entirely re-outfitted with brand new chairs and stools in The Molokai bar plus all the dining rooms. We just happened to be there hours later for our monthly Mermaids & Mai-Kai happy hour and snapped some pics:

The main seating in The Molokai:

The Molokai bar stools:

The tables in the back corner of The Molokai:

A close-up:

The Samoa dining room:

The old chairs are in storage with their future destination still to be determined. But we were told that management is leaning against selling them all to one individual and would rather parcel them out in small batches.

We also took some shots of the new torches:

Forgot to mention: You can see larger versions of all of the above photos plus a few more on the Mai-Kai flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/maikai/

Cool - I am going to be there this Friday. I can't wait to check out the new stuff! Have they torn down the Bora Bora Room yet?

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2009-01-28 18:12 ]

T

I stayed up late last night loving those 900 pics on Flickr. Better than looking at any other book I had to look at.

P

Will, I think you started something good there by re-casting those tikis and other oddities and inspiring others to join you in the benevolent renovations.
Seems to be catching on throughout the place.
I can't wait to get down there to enjoy it in person with you and with the Gumbo Limbos and others.

MANY more things are happening!!!

T
thejab posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2009 6:15 PM

I made a quick stop at the Mai-Kai for my birthday last month on the way to a vacation in the Keys. What a night for me and my gal Carrie! We had happy hour in the bar, dinner (steak and lobster Bora Bora, Bananas Bengali, Kona Coffee Grogs) right in front of the stage for the show, followed by a garden stroll, and many drinks in the bar after dinner. 600 new chairs were installed that day, and looked great, as did the newly renovated (in a good way for a change!) Molokai bar and porte-cochere. It was my fifth time seeing the show, and I still enjoyed every minute of it. I even got selected to dance on stage. Here's some pics:

The porte-cochere (not a great picture - it looks more impressive in person):

Under the porte-cochere:

Carrie entering the Mai-Kai for the first time:

New chair:

Lobster Bora Bora:

Samoan fire dancers!:

Drinks in the Molokai bar:

The Russian Roulette! Not my favorite tasting drink but I'm a sucker for a flaming anything.

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-02-02 18:16 ]

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-02-03 11:57 ]

Here's a sneak peek of some of the stuff that's happening at the Mai Kai. Crappy cell phone picks. The Exterior, the Molokai, the Garden - ALL look fantastic!! Go check it out.

TT

...a few more pictures of the entrance newly thatched.

What many people miss is the new siding that you can see to the right of the Entrance!!

On 2009-02-09 16:35, Tonga Tiki wrote:
... the entrance newly thatched.

looks really good ! ! !

I went on wednesday. I forgot to take my camera. the bar looks great.

Mai Kai Rocks!

I was there this past Tuesday. Everything is looking great. I walked through the gardens and took video with my flip. I will put in on youtube and put the link here soon. It looks like the Bora Bora room might not get torn down. I heard that they are trying to get permission to let it remain as long as it is only used for storage. Here is a photo of the recently fixed garden patio area.

T

Here's a few more photos of my birthday visit last Jan 23rd:

Carrie and I in the garden. Tons of new plants have been added!

Coffee grogs and bananas Bengali:

They selected me to dance onstage:

Wahine and me:

Feeling pretty tight!:

photos by Carrie Swing

On 2009-02-25 13:49, thejab wrote:
Wahine and me:

photos by Carrie Swing

Her name is Maima. She is Dave Levey's daughter and the newest addition to the Molokai Maidens.

T

Thanks for the info on the new cocktail server. She was super nice! We met Dave Levey that night through Pia. I bought him a drink, the least I could do to thank him for all the improvements he's having done on the beloved Mai-Kai.

Pages: 1 2 65 replies