Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai Kai renovations

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

Last Sunday I spoke to the ladies in the gift shop. They said that sometime soon the bora bora room is going to be torn down. Apparently the hurricane rendered it unsafe. They have taken the most of the light fixtures etc... and put them in storage. Also, the building inspectors will not approve putting thatch over the customer drop off area. So the tarp stays for the moment. Or at least this is what I heard.

Oh...the Jet Pilot is now on my favorites list.

T

On 2008-11-18 18:58, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Last Sunday I spoke to the ladies in the gift shop. They said that sometime soon the bora bora room is going to be torn down. Apparently the hurricane rendered it unsafe. They have taken the most of the light fixtures etc... and put them in storage. Also, the building inspectors will not approve putting thatch over the customer drop off area. So the tarp stays for the moment. Or at least this is what I heard.

Oh...the Jet Pilot is now on my favorites list.

Wait...which room is the Bora Bora room ?

This One :down:

D

Well that sucks. Not that I have even been in the Bora Bora room before, but tearing down any part of the Mai Kai is not a good thing. I'll be there again in December. That place is the coolest. Are their any plans for the Mai Kai to build something else there?

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2008-11-18 20:27 ]

G

tikiyaki,

The Bora Bora Room is the separate building to your right when you drive toward the valet stand and the parking lot. It originally contained the gift shop. See some wonderful pictures here of the old gift shop. Once the gift shop moved inside to its current location in what was formerly the Bangkok Rom, the Bora Bora Room became an events room that could be rented out for weddings, corporate events, etc. If anyone's more in the know on the uses of that room over the years, please chime in.

It would be a real shame for them to tear it down and leave it undeveloped, unless they were to landscape it. The sad truth is, the building is in terrible shape and it shouldn't be left as is indefinitely. I've held out hope that they could renovate it and use it once again.

Bora Boris at the Bora Bora room. I like it. :wink:

The person I had a conversation with thought it would be landscaped.

T

Thanx guys....I figured that was where it was, as it was condemned when I was there for Hukilau. I was looking through the windows trying to see what it looked like inside.
They have some really nice water features around it, and it WOULD be great if they restore it, but I also know that the city inspectors have a hard on for the Mai Kai.

It sure would make a great companion bar/club if it was restored and fixed up.

Oh well....At least the Mai Kai is still there, and that's good. especially in this disasterous economy.

It is sad to be loosing the Bora Bora Room, any reduction of the Mai-Kai is a bad thing.

BUT......

Questionable construction (by todays post-Hurricane Andrew standards), several Hurricanes, and changing Building Codes have all come together in such a way that the demolition of the building is required. And the Mai-Kai was given a choice..... Re-Do the ENTIRE property, or demolish the Bora-Bora building. (there was a lot more to it than that, but to break it down to its simplest parts)

There are several ideas for what to do with the area and all of them include lots of landscaping. It will suck during construction for lots of reasons, but when it is done it will be worth the effort regardless of which plan they adopt for the space.

Personally, I hope they go with the idea of installing a replica of the original Mai-Kai sign complete with the three canibal tikis.

T

I like the Giant Cannibal Tiki sign idea.

Giant Tikis, more waterfalls and gardens....that's my vote.

S

It does take away part of their business.

I can imagine, trying to redo the pilings under that building would be a considerable task.

Here's a question, and maybe one that's been answered here before:

Is there a historic preservation something-or-other in Ft. Lauderdale? I know that the Ft. Lauderdale Historical Society exists, but do they have any influence over the local government? I know here in New York a Landmark Preservation Commission was founded in the early 60s to ban the demolition of certain historic buildings. This happened mostly as a reaction to the outrageous demolition of the original Penn Station in 1966. Jackie Kennedy was supposedly one of their more high profile supporters.

ANWYAY: the point I'm trying to get at here is does such a thing exist in Ft. Lauderdale. Somehow I doubt it, but given the historical significance of the Mai Kai, it should be landmarked or recognized as a historical site. That doesn't save the Bora Bora room and the political implications of renovating it, but do ya feel me people? Same goes for the Wreck Bar/Yankee Clipper.

My initial reaction to the comment about adding more garden space, waterfalls, etc, is that that stuff is expensive to maintain and doesn't generate any revenue (not directly anyway). But it may also mean the Mai-Kai would no longer have to pay property taxes on a commercial building that sits empty. Who knows, I'm just speculating.

Now, a replica of the original sign with the three cannibal tikis would definitely NOT suck. Or... maybe they could build a Bora Bora Car Wash so you can get your car washed by lovely sarong-clad girls while you imbibe indoors. No? An outdoor fountain in the shape of a mystery bowl? The ridiculous possibilities are endless...

What it part of the original plan or was it added on later?

G

Tonga Tiki, Bora Bora was added later. This newspaper article from 1971 talks about their big expansion, but does not specifically mention Bora Bora. But I know it was in existence by 1973, so I suspect it was added some time in between.

Now, a replica of the original sign with the three cannibal tikis would definitely [i]NOT suck. Or... maybe they could build a Bora Bora Car Wash so you can get your car washed by lovely sarong-clad girls while you imbibe indoors. No? An outdoor fountain in the shape of a mystery bowl? The ridiculous possibilities are endless...

Rob, You Rebel! You are my new Tiki Hero! Whatever keeps Tiki around is OK with me! No? It's not Chip, this is Andy.

G

So, Andy, do I get to park in the Tiki Hero parking spot for the week? :wink:

It just dawned on me that I goofed on the date of the Bora Bora construction. Ironically, it was Chip I think who originally posted this picture:

... of Bora Bora with the date March 1961 stamped on the side. So that blows my theory. I do not know if it housed the gift shop that early or something else.

S

Yes there is historic overlay type status in Lauderdale, and the Mai Kai does not want it. As many business owners feel, getting that would limit what they could do with their own property. It ain't gonna happen.

On 2008-11-19 10:10, donhonyc wrote:

Is there a historic preservation something-or-other in Ft. Lauderdale?

......but given the historical significance of the Mai Kai, it should be landmarked or recognized as a historical site. That doesn't save the Bora Bora room and the political implications of renovating it, but do ya feel me people? Same goes for the Wreck Bar/Yankee Clipper.

There is. They do amazing things.

They do some really incredibly stupid things also.

The Mai-Kai family has no interest in getting any kind of Historical designation, reference, status, none of it. It puts to many limits on what they can do to the property, how and when.

There are, however, three things that can be done by this group to help:

First, visit the Mai-Kai as often as you can.

Second, tell everyone you can about the Mai-Kai and encourage them to visit.

Third, preserve as much of you can of the story and history of the Mai-Kai.

The first and second ones are easy. Well, OK, it is easier for the locals.... did I mention it was 78 degrees and sunny today in the Mai-Kai gardens?

The third, preservation, is a bit more work..... but the ground work is already in place, we just need to keep it going:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10334&forum=2&73

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=60

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai-Kai_Restaurant

http://www.flickr.com/groups/maikai/

And countless more.

You can help by including your story, keeping the information up to date, making sure people know the Mai-Kai as we know it. Make the Mai-Kai interesting.

D

On 2008-11-20 18:12, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2008-11-19 10:10, donhonyc wrote:

Is there a historic preservation something-or-other in Ft. Lauderdale?

......but given the historical significance of the Mai Kai, it should be landmarked or recognized as a historical site. That doesn't save the Bora Bora room and the political implications of renovating it, but do ya feel me people? Same goes for the Wreck Bar/Yankee Clipper.

There is. They do amazing things.

They do some really incredibly stupid things also.

The Mai-Kai family has no interest in getting any kind of Historical designation, reference, status, none of it. It puts to many limits on what they can do to the property, how and when.

There are, however, three things that can be done by this group to help:

First, visit the Mai-Kai as often as you can.

Second, tell everyone you can about the Mai-Kai and encourage them to visit.

Third, preserve as much of you can of the story and history of the Mai-Kai.

The first and second ones are easy. Well, OK, it is easier for the locals.... did I mention it was 78 degrees and sunny today in the Mai-Kai gardens?

The third, preservation, is a bit more work..... but the ground work is already in place, we just need to keep it going:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10334&forum=2&73

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=60

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai-Kai_Restaurant

http://www.flickr.com/groups/maikai/

And countless more.

You can help by including your story, keeping the information up to date, making sure people know the Mai-Kai as we know it. Make the Mai-Kai interesting.

I hear ya loud and clear. Needless to say, your preaching to the choir here.

I visit my family in Florida 2 maybe 3 times a year. If I could afford it, I would go more. Every trip I take down I go to the Mai Kai. If I don't, I get depressed. I've told many of my friends here in NYC about the Mai Kai and how amazing it is. They kinda look at me funny, mostly because they haven't been there already. If they'd been, I know they would understand the hype and be as blown away by it as we are. In a perfect world I would by them all 1st Class plane tickets, a block of rooms at the Yankee Clipper, and limo service to and from the Mai Kai for one or several visits. Of course I would be on that trip and it would happen probably around this time of the year, when the weather is sunny and in the 70s/80s. I may not be loaded enough to do that right now, but I can get my own ass down there which I'll be doing next month to get my fix. And ain't I the mayor of Lucky Town!!!!!

W

I have to think they will retain more than lights. Seems like there should be some good pieces parts to put in the warehouse, just in case? Or offer some of the reclaimed decorative materials they won't be keeping to the very dedicated locals down there.

On 2008-11-21 08:27, wentiki wrote:
I have to think they will retain more than lights. Seems like there should be some good pieces parts to put in the warehouse, just in case? Or offer some of the reclaimed decorative materials they won't be keeping to the very dedicated locals down there.

Oh yes, everything that can possibly be used will be used. All of the decorative bits of trim will come off the Bora Bora room and be applied to the main building. Some of the Tapa on the walls are actually applied to panels so they will come out as well. If it can be pulled and used it will be.

J

On 2008-11-18 18:58, Tonga Tiki wrote:
...Also, the building inspectors will not approve putting thatch over the customer drop off area. So the tarp stays for the moment....

Is the problem with the thatched roof over the parking area a fire hazard problem? If so, I wonder if instead of a real thatch roof they could put up a faux thatched roof made from synthetic materials like the kind you see at Disneyworld (Animal Kingdom Lodge). http://www.amazuluinc.com/faux-thatch.htm

[ Edited by: joefla70 2008-12-01 14:06 ]

Alright Basement Kahuna, we still gonna do this?

I had a bad feeling the Bora Bora room was gonna bite it. Darn.

As long as the Mai Kai keeps going we should count our blessings.

Here is the latest.

It will be many months before the Bora Bora Hut comes down.

Repairs and improvements to the Molokai are underway.

The tarp is coming down! The Wood has been stripped from the building and the whole entry will be upgraded. Very Exciting!

If you cannot get down before Hukilau, make sure to book it and go see all the improvements!

I will try and get back in the next few weeks and post some updates.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-12-24 16:46 ]

D

On 2008-12-24 07:02, Bohemiann wrote:
Here is the latest.

It will be many months before the Bora Bora Hut comes down.

Repairs and improvements to the Molokai are underway.

The tarp is coming down! The Wood has been stripped from the building and the whole entry will be upgraded. Very Exciting!

Everything will be done by Hukilau so book it!

I will try and get back in the next few weeks and post some updates.

I guess this means the Molokai is closed over the holidays?? If so that's sort of a bummer. I'm glad they're doing the renovations, but where will they be putting the people that want to come in for cocktails only? I was planning on maybe going there tomorrow for Christmas, or possibly later this week.

Yeah , but I guess we have to give something up to get something back. So cool to see proper upkeep taking place!

Molokai NOT closed!

They start before the sun comes up, clean up by 3 and are open for business. You would never even know they were working on it. I am planning on visiting in the next week. For &#*@% sake! don't deprive yourself a JeT Pilot during the Holidays!

This is s great time to visit as you can see the improvements underway and I can't think of a better place to ring in the New Year!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-12-24 16:42 ]

D

Called them today. The renovations are done and the Molokai is OPEN!!!! I will be there either Friday or Saturday. Vive le Mai Kai!!!!!

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2008-12-24 18:32 ]

S

It is exciting. Putting the shine back on the jewels.

Take pictures !

Was at the Molokai Bar this past Friday. All is WELL!!! The only repairs that were clearly visible to me was the roof over the bar. If memory serves it used to be made of corrugated metal. It has been replaced by a dark bamboo type material thing. If anything else was repaired I didn't notice and after I had my Jet Pilot, Zombie, and Mai Tai it was no longer a concern. :drink:

The thatch roof over the Molokai Bar has been completely replaced. New ceiling made from split bamboo (dark, naturally), new thatch (synthetic fire-proof stuff as required by the fire-marshall), no more black plastic! (not the outside roof that you see from the street, that is not going to be re-done. This is the fake roof-line inside of the Molokai over the bar)

Most of the pumps and bits and parts for the rain windows have been replaced so all of the rain-windows are properly presented.

Work has begun on the Valet Roof (only just begun, so nothing to take pictures of yet).

Over 700 new plantings in the inside, outside, and front gardens. New shrubs, new orchids, couple of new palm trees, lots of bromeliads and other tropical vegetative delights.

So far about 40 new concrete tiki's scattered mostly in the outside gardens. Locals have been working on the concrete to make them look like the originals. WPlugger is currently working on some of the detail stuff around the Chinese Ovens.

All of the Gas Torches have been replaced. Now they all look like Bamboo torches. The flames are a bit smaller because they are some new 'efficient' model, but they all work now and all look great!

Now that tourist season is on, the Full 12 page dinner menu is back, Sushi is back (yeah!), and a new shipment of Rum Barrels is ready for your drinking pleasure.

All of the lights and hanging bits in the main dinning room have been dusted off and look fantastic again. The inside gardens are starting to grow lush again because light is coming in since the roof-thatch has been removed.

All of this and more, is just the beginning! When you ask the owner about the work, he just smiles and says "wait till were done."

And by smiles, I mean that evil little grin that says 'you aint seen nothing yet.'

I hate that I am so far away and my Wahine just gives me "That look" when I mention moving three hours south.

On 2008-12-31 05:07, Bohemiann wrote:
I hate that I am so far away and my Wahine just gives me "That look" when I mention moving three hours south.

Don't feel so bad. I wish I was three hours away by car instead of three hours away by plane. Go down on the weekends and get yr fix!!!!

B

Oh, I do! And then I get that "other" look!

So great to hear about all the update, C & A! Take pix when you can. We may not make it for Hukilau, but we're coming, dontcha worry.

Do you know if the mens room is on the upcoming fixit agenda?

G

Here are some pictures I took a couple of days ago.

A wooden beam structure is being constructed on the portico. It will then be covered with thatch. This work is being done by the local Seminole Indian tribe, so I take it these guys know what they're doing. As you can see, work has only just begun here, but I think its going to look terrific when they're done.

Here's the thatched roof over the bar in the Molokai. :down:

I've used a flash so you can see it, but even though the thatch is synthetic, it looks good in the dim lighting.

The under side of the bar roof :down:

The underside may not be old school Chinese newspaper-covered corrugated metal (by the way, I'd love to know where THAT idea originally came from), but what they've done looks very nice. It's dark and blends in well. If you saw the nasty layer of gunk that was coating the old corrugated metal before, you'll be glad it's gone.

All the thatching in the Tahiti dining room has also been replaced. Somoa dining room is next.

Oh, and the dining room chairs are getting replaced very soon. I know the ones in the back dining rooms are getting replaced. Not sure about the older ones in the Molokai and the main dining room. I hope those stay. I love those chairs. Some are in need of repair, but they're a great design.

Kern seems excited. I am too! It's so great to see that they're investing in it. We are extremely lucky that all of this is happening. The Mai-Kai looks here to stay for a long while!

G

Hey Will, when are we going to see those great new spears you've made for the Chinese oven room installed??

I spied with my squinted eyes - fresh thatch over the Valet!!

On 2009-01-02 15:33, GatorRob wrote:
The underside may not be old school Chinese newspaper-covered corrugated metal (by the way, I'd love to know where THAT idea originally came from), but what they've done looks very nice. It's dark and blends in well. If you saw the nasty layer of gunk that was coating the old corrugated metal before, you'll be glad it's gone.

Are locals getting any of the cool building materials like the corrugated metal that they are scrapping?

On 2009-01-11 23:45, mrsmiley wrote:
Are locals getting any of the cool building materials like the corrugated metal that they are scrapping?

Most of the materials that are salvageable are going into the warehouse to be used in other parts of the restaurant.

Most of the materials that are salvageable are going into the warehouse to be used in other parts of the restaurant.

..you can say that again!!!!

Hmmmmmm...... the system said message post failed.

Hanford! The Tiki Machine is broke again!

Thru unnamed sources I have procured something that could be considered salvage. Pictures here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12451&forum=7&start=840

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2009-01-14 07:40 ]

Pages: 1 2 65 replies