Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Thanksgiving rum drink

Pages: 1 24 replies

Hi all,
We're searching for a cool Thanksgiving rum drink to post on the Rum Connection site next week. Does anyone have suggestions? Cheers!

I would like the suggestion just to drink myself on Thanksgiving.

I started doing a little digging around and here's what I found. I have not tried any of these drinks myself and these are not my recipes.

Pumpkin Pie

1 oz. Malibu Rum
3/4 oz. canned pumpkin pie filling
1/2 oz. Kahlúa
2 oz. with cold milk

Mix ingredients in blender with ice and blend thoroughly; Pour into graham cracker-rimmed highball glass and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Sleepy Hollow Fizz

1 1/2 oz Flor de Caña 7yr old rum
1/2 oz El Dorado 151 proof demerara rum
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz maple syrup
2 barspoon pumpkin puree
1 egg yolk
Top club soda

Dry shake, shake with 3 ice cubes and strain into a tall glass. no garnish

PUMPKIN PUREE
Take one 15 oz can of Libby’s 100% pure pumpkin, add 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of ground ginger, 1/4 tsp of ground cloves and 15 oz of simple syrup and blend it all together in a blender or Cuisinart. Store in the fridge.

Hot Rummin’ Pumpkin
¾ oz Pumpkin Liqueur
¾ oz Jamaican dark rum
1½ oz demerara rum
4 oz cream, steaming hot
nutmeg, ground

Combine all ingredients in heated glass and top with ground nutmeg. Garnish with cinnamon stick.

I'll plug the Voodoo Priestess. Forbidden Island might have to approve you using it, as I think it might be theirs. It's what I'll be drinking!!!! :D

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21601&forum=1

Friends are those who bail you out of jail.
Best friends are those sitting next to you, saying "Damn! That was fun!!!!"
RIP MLG 1970-2003

[ Edited by: Staredge 2008-11-21 10:45 ]

The recipe for the Voodoo Priestess can be found here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/27/WIG3TLV2J11.DTL

Sailor Jerry's and unfiltered apple juice. Add roast turkey and blazing fireplace. Simple, seasonal, and delicious.

On 2008-11-21 11:46, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Sailor Jerry's and unfiltered apple juice. Add roast turkey and blazing fireplace. Simple, seasonal, and delicious.

Do you muddle the turkey? And doesn't the blazing fireplace make mixing difficult as well as melting the ice?

And you can add "giblets on a stick" as a garnish!

On 2008-11-21 10:41, Staredge wrote:
I'll plug the Voodoo Priestess. Forbidden Island might have to approve you using it, as I think it might be theirs.

How 'bout I say it's okay...

Thanks all. Keep 'em coming.

Someone needs to come up with a drink that has a turkey infused sugar syrup. Preferably with a cranberry garnish.

S

On 2008-11-21 21:14, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2008-11-21 10:41, Staredge wrote:
I'll plug the Voodoo Priestess. Forbidden Island might have to approve you using it, as I think it might be theirs.

How 'bout I say it's okay...

:blush:

Whoops. I forgot that you were the creator of said deliciousness. My apologies.

(Have I mentioned that the VP is reeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy yummy????)

I knew I shoulda edited it to have a :P -smiley at the end of my post...

:wink:

FWIW, a couple of weeks ago, in my usual liquor store, I saw two Hiram Walker liqueurs that look interesting, as a possible base for Thanksgiving or Christmas theme drinks: Gingerbread Liqueur and Pumpkin Spice Liqueur.
I didn't buy them (yet), so I can't testify. I just checked the HW website, and they are apparently seasonal offerings.
They've got a number of (dubious?) recipes on the website for each of the liqueurs, e.g., Gingerbread Island, Trick or Treat, et al.
I'm confident you guys could do better than most of their recipes.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-11-24 13:26 ]

Jones soda comes out with those Thanksgiving dinner sodas around this time of year. Use some of the turkey one in your holiday drinks.

S

On 2008-11-21 14:50, Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:

Do you muddle the turkey? And doesn't the blazing fireplace make mixing difficult as well as melting the ice?

No, you squeeze the turkey then float the carcass on top of the drink with the fireplace on top!!!! :D

Thanks all for the replies. I'm tempted to go with the muddled turkey, but the Pumpkin Pie cocktail may be a bit more user friendly. Posting it Thursday. Cheers!

http://www.RUMCONNECTION.COM
Daily News, Rum Reviews & Other Distractions

[ Edited by: Rum Connection 2008-11-25 07:42 ]

On 2008-11-24 14:50, Staredge wrote:

On 2008-11-21 14:50, Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:

No, you squeeze the turkey then float the carcass on top of the drink with the fireplace on top!!!! :D

Wise guys... Clearly (some) turkeys should be separated from the rum. And PLEASE don't mix fire and alcohol (unless you've got experience with the circus). My fault, I suppose, for not properly distinguishing atmospheric garnish from mixological suggestion.

Ah well..., I'll admit my suggestion was far from sophisticated (unless one actually does experiment with adding meat and burning wood), but don't knock it if you haven't tried it, for it's a cheery blend, and does indeed go quite nicely with a slice of turkey (on a plate) and a cozy fire (in the hearth). Merely an humble notion to muddle over...

'Appy 'Olidays, Mateys!
S :wink: K

W

Cider and rum do make an excellent holiday drink. And it's a historically accurate drink made with readily available early American ingredients.

I try and get a cider that's complex in flavor, preferably on the slightly tart side. (Always a better chance of hitting both those elements with an unfiltered.) I like to add a little spice, the easiest way to do it is a couple dashes of bitters which doesn't add more sweetness (like syrups or falernum would).

This Thanksgiving friends and I decided to do an actual meal at the last minute (5 PM Thanksgiving Day) so for a holiday themed drink I mixed 2 parts cranberry juice to one part lime-aide (more or less) with a medium bodied rum and a few dashes of orange bitters (to bring out the citrus) and aromatic bitters (to tie it all together with that "What is this?" element). It was really good, 4 of us drank a large pitcher of it.

woofmutt
••••••••
For inside sentiment
see back of package.

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2008-12-22 09:18 ]

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2008-12-22 09:18 ]

W

Bumped because we so often need a little somethin special for those special times with the family.

On 2010-11-16 20:49, woofmutt wrote:
Bumped because we so often need A LOT of something special for those special times with the family.

Fixed for my reality! :)

I highly recommend the Queequeg's Harpoon which was the drink the FOM folks in NE invented for their MS fundraiser that featured the mug from Squid.

I have to 2nd (or 3rd) the notion of the VooDoo Priestess. You can't go wrong with Pumpkin Pie spice. It's the drink of Halloween AND Thanksgiving as far as I'm concerned. Good stuff!

H

Here are two recipes I like. this is a good way to use your Pimento Dram that has been sitting there looking at you wondering when you're going to use it.

Bermuda Swizzle

1 oz Martinique Rum
1 oz Jamaican Rum
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grape fruit juice
1/4 oz sugar syrup
1/4 oz Pimento Allspice Dram
1/2 oz Apricot Brandy

Mix and shake with crushed ice. Top extra ice if needed. I will be making this tonight.

Adam's Apple

2 oz. Applejack
1 oz. apple cider
1/2 oz. Pimento Dram yeah!
2 dashes orange bitters

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into cocktail glass garnish with apple soaked in Brandy. this makes a good after dinner semi sweet drink tastes like apple pie..

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2010-11-25 12:33 ]

The Bermuda Swizzle sounds excellent...thanks for the suggestion. :D

Kevin

Pages: 1 24 replies