Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cocktail Foams

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

Hi, can anybody help me posting the exact procedure to make flavoured foams to top cocktails using egg white and a cream Siphon?
I know that it can be done making a syrup and adding egg whites, filling the siphon and putting it into a freezer, but I'd really appreciate step by step method to do it!
I used the posted method to make rock candy syrup and worked great, so I believe in you guys!
Thans a lot

Ummmmmm...... no?

Flavored Foams are the newest and hottest thing going in cocktails these days....... but most of us here only follow those kinds of trends by reading about them.

Well, I shouldn't speak for the whole group..... I only keep up with this kind of trend by reading about it.

I am intrigued by your request, and I do hope someone here helps out. It could be a very entertaining experiment to try and get a Mai-Tai foam.

I have a bunch of other stuff on my list of gadgets before I get me an iSi soda siphon, but here is a link to that site.
iSi has a recipe site called espumas.com (espuma = foam in Spanish) where they offer a few recipes for espumas as well as sauces, etc., but they are big on gelatine sheets, not egg whites. Also, their espumas are more food oriented than drink, which is probably why they are big on gelatine. It seems to make a heavyish foam.

The reason I first got interested in the soda siphon was that I heard about coconut milk foam, which uses just coconut milk and, as an optional add-on, sugar. If you don't have any recipes, you might try the iSi basic recipe structure (they have an interesting mango foam) and substitute egg whites for the gelatine, guessing on quantities.

There's a pre-made foam called Frothee, but I understand if you're desperate enough to consider it, fight the urge.

S

I have made a few foams myself and i quite like them.I'll find my recipe at home and post it A.S.A.P.Gelatine sheets are more stable than eggs although my recipe calls for egg white powder as well.However i haven't made any yet that have alcohol in them.Alcohols will break the foam down faster,even more so with anything containing citrus juices.

S

Here is the recipe given to me by a bartender friend of mine.Unless you plan on making a lot of drinks,I would cut the ingredients down,as this makes about a litre of foam.I honestly am not sure how long it would last in the fridge,although i keep mine for a fortnight and then make a new batch.

Here goes:

550ml of water
250ml of syrup
3 sheets of gelatine

Microwave this for 2 minutes covered,then add

15grams of egg white powder

Whip this with a hand held blender,or a whisk to combine the ingredients,place it into your siphon,then charge with one bulb.Refrigerate for 12 hours then charge with another bulb.Give it a good shake each time you use it.

I only use one bulb myself as i cut this recipe down to 1/4 and use a small sized siphon.I haven't yet experimented with alcohols,although it can be done.You will have better success with liquers with a high sugar content.Alcohols and citrus juices break down the proteins in the egg white and the foam will collapse quite quickly.With this method it will last about the time it takes to finish a drink,(depending on how slow you drink).

Although i haven't tried it,you could try possibly 200ml of orgeat and 50ml of curacao to make a sort of Mai Tai Foam,but you must remember that foams generally are on the sweet side and therefore will affect the sweetness of the drink overall.

I once had a foam flavoured with Caraway seeds that was magnificent.From memory,the seeds were infused into the sugar syrup.

Hope this helps.Let me know how you go.

agar-agar is more resistant to the effects of alcohol destructuring.

Don't bother with the siphon.

Soften gelling agent in cold water

Heat small portion (1/3 total amount) of desired liquid on the stove and add the softened Gelling agent stir until completely melted

Add the heated mixture to the remaining liquid and stir

Put the whole mess into the mixing bowl of a kitchen-aid mixer

This is the only tricky part: KEEP THE BOWL VERY COLD. This can be done several ways. Put the bowl in the freezer, Wrap the bowl with ice packs, If the bowl raises and lowers, you can rest the whole thing in an ice bath.

Run the mixer at medium for about a minute, then switch to high speed. As the gel sets it will retain its volume for quite some time. It can also be frozen without loss of volume.

This method is also slightly "Safer" due to no raw eggs being used.

agar-agar is more resistant to the effects of alcohol destructuring.

Don't bother with the siphon.

Soften gelling agent in cold water

Heat small portion (1/3 total amount) of desired liquid on the stove and add the softened Gelling agent stir until completely melted

Add the heated mixture to the remaining liquid and stir

Put the whole mess into the mixing bowl of a kitchen-aid mixer

This is the only tricky part: KEEP THE BOWL VERY COLD. This can be done several ways. Put the bowl in the freezer, Wrap the bowl with ice packs, If the bowl raises and lowers, you can rest the whole thing in an ice bath.

Run the mixer at medium for about a minute, then switch to high speed. As the gel sets it will retain its volume for quite some time. It can also be frozen without loss of volume.

This method is also slightly "Safer" due to no raw eggs being used.

Pages: 1 6 replies