Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Designing commercial TIKI Bar-Need Help

Pages: 1 21 replies

ST

Hello Tiki Central!

I am currently in the process of designing a commercial Tiki Bar and could use some help. Let me be the first to say that I am deeply rooted in tradition and plan on building something that would make Donn Beach and the rest of you proud! My place is going to have all the kitsch you would expect, mixed with some serious Polynesian sensibilities. There will be a Tiki Fountain/Waterfall,a starry sky above, and it will rain every hour!

I am planning a smaller location (2500-3000 square feet)which will add to the overall friendly environment as well as help my over head. The rough design is sketched on paper,with other specifics written in my notebook.I have started to work on a final business plan to present to some investment people and I could use some help. All these great ideas need to be put on paper, presentable to those who will review it. This is where I ask you, TIKI Central to give me a hand.

I am looking for someone who can take my ideas and draw a artistic/architectural rendering. If you look in "The Book of TIKI" and other publications you can see these scattered throughout the pages. As most people (let alone investor people)arent educated on the TIKI experience these would help sell the idea. As I am building a "dream" I unfortunately dont have much in the way of funds to pay for this, so I would be asking a HUGE favor. Look at it as you are building something that will become famous for decades to come. I also think it would look good in a portfolio for whoever does it. If you are interested please email me at [email protected] or message me here.

I also require help in the way of attaining quality pieces for the interior design. I am already connected with Oceanic Arts, but could use other sources as well.Before I forget I am looking for bar ware as well, as I of course plan on serving different drinks in different glasses. Last but not least I am looking for investment money. I am positive that this project will not only be fruitful in the way of money, but it will also be something that you can be proud of. As discussed I will have a full business plan with all details available very soon.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to this community providing much needed advice and information.

Wish I could help but most of my smaller commercial

tiki bar plans are usually drawn up on a napkin.

ie;

Frankie's, Las Vegas

Forbidden Island, Alameda

Kona Club, Oakland

When you do have your investors locked in and

need an installer, look me up.

MAhalo,

Bamboo Ben

Wow... and I thought I was the only one with that dream and vision. the funny thing is... I need help too!:)

St Tiki, what is your restaurant/bar experience? Many dream of owning such a place, but few have the knowledge and experience to make a serious go of it, so we'd really enjoy hearing your story.

Then, where are you creating your tiki place? What makes you think there is a demand for the restaurant/bar which is your personal dream? This community loves tiki places, but we know they sometimes fail, so why will your succeed?

I'm not trying to put you on the spot... I'm just asking the questions we all ask ourselves when we think about tiki bars.

On 2008-11-26 06:26, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
...so why will you succeed?

I agree. Not trying to be the wet-blanket.... but this is one of the questions you need to answer in your buisiness plan, and have a ready answer for when your investors ask.

As for artistic renderings of your idea... check with your local municipality as to what they require specifically for your paperwork. The renderings will be great for your business plan, but you will probably need full-on architectural plans to submit before you can get any kind of permits/licenses. Your city may be different, check first. Actually, check now so you don't start down a path and then have to back-track wasting time and effort.

As far as decor for the inside.... a lot of the artists here are/have been willing to display their wares with a price tag attached, meaning they are for sale. You get the display peice to decorate the bar, they get to display thier peice for sale and advertising. After you secure funding and start the actual build you can put out a Call-to-the-Artists here and you will be surprised what suddenly becomes available.

And.....

Good Luck! Thank you for sharing with Tiki Central and thank you also for inviting us to help you with the project! Please keep us updated as the project moves through the many and varied paths it will take!

T

Im here when you need real tikis carved . Dont bring in the plastic ones .I love carving for the public .

On 2008-11-25 23:24, St Tiki wrote:
There will be a Tiki Fountain/Waterfall

I'd suggest contacting Ken Pleasant for that: http://www.pleasanttiki.com/

On 2008-11-26 12:04, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2008-11-25 23:24, St Tiki wrote:
There will be a Tiki Fountain/Waterfall

I'd suggest contacting Ken Pleasant for that: http://www.pleasanttiki.com/

..i guess you missed the part where he mentioned he had no money....ken is way out of this guys league if he doesn't have the funding....i think that goes for most of us here....my days of charity ended in my 20's when i was starting out as a designer....we all need to put food on the table..not pictures in a portfolio.....

i'm sure the owner has good intentions and i wish him well with his new endeavor..it's gonna be a long road....but like ben says....secure the investors and the capital and we'll be happy to jump on board.....

P

oh, yeah, i missed that part, too. maybe he can find some student to do the work.

i still have jobs that i'll get paid for on back burners. i'll get to them soon. been a busy season.

get an art school intern to do architectural sketches for you. cheap and/or free and they get class credit

What came first, the chicken or the egg?
That's easy; the investment capitol.
Without it, its a plan to fail I'm afraid.
Good luck, could use a TiKi place in Ventura.
Say...St Tiki isn't related to St john is it? Didn't he have a place in Ventura?

ST

Esteemed TC Members-

I wanted to thank those of you who have responded to my post. I truly appreciate all the support and information I have received thus far. I also would like to thank those of you who have expressed concerns about the future and details of this project. I wanted to take this opportunity to respond to some of the comments I have received.

When deciding to create this place I first took a hard look at the "big" picture. Was my town ready? The answer is YES it is. I live in Ventura California, a coastal community that could both afford and identify and with a Polynesian/Tiki experience. In speaking with local patrons and business owners there has been a resounding YES as well. In a town of basic drinking bars it would be a welcomed change. I even got a ringing endorsement from the City's Tourist Bureau!

I have also looked at commercial rental costs in determining the right amount of square footage as part of my budget/versus determined operating costs. I feel that most failures start with someone not taking a hard look at the amount of money you will make per square foot. A lot of places just start entirely too big, and the overhead smothers the project. I have multiple years of working directly in the Bar/Entertainment culture and I am lucky to have a team of "seasoned" bar type professionals backing me up.

Now that my very non artistic, rough sketch is finished I need to have a pencil rendering for both the business plan and to be used for any architectural mods that will have to be made once a location is selected. I failed to mention that I have a 250K commitment from a local investor. It's funny; when you’re trying to convince someone to let you borrow that kinda money they really want a business plan showing them exactly what its going to look like and exactly where their money is going.

Its true that I am lacking in the way of funds at this time, but I asked for help on the renderings because I thought that having them done by a TIKI Enthusiast would add to the POP of the idea. Sure I could have a student at the local college do it, BUT what is he/she really into? Do they understand how it all works together. I need someone educated and most of all passionate about the cultural aspects. If I have to pay I will. I know times are tough for most of us and I like the some of us have given up "Charity" for the most part as well.

As most probably know I have spent a crazy amount of time investing into the other aspects of this project. Booze/pour costs, insurances, etc etc.The build out is going to be the most challenging out of everything because your dealing with a build out that doesnt allow you the use of a catalog to but your interior theme. I plan on outfitting the place with items that I have purchased from vendors met on this site and others like it. I plan on using vendors like Ken Pleasant and Oceanic to help with various design items.Once again I am blessed to have great tradesmen in my friend group that have obligated to the project, allowing me to save money all while getting top quality work.

I didnt want anyone to get the wrong idea about this project. I am very serious about it and there is a tremendous amount of planning that still has to be done. Thanks for all of you who have helped thus far.Its great to have a place like TC to touch base with people like all of you. It makes this journey a little less bumpy! I would imagine this process will put me into the first part of next year but I work on it everyday. Continued support would be appreciated.

Hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving!!

ST TIKI

O

ST Tiki

Glad to hear you are building a Tiki bar in Ventura. Take a look at the thread for the Trade Wind's in Oxnard. In my not so humble opinion, it blew everything else away in this state . The former Trade Winds site would be a cool place with the trees still intactin Wagon Wheel.
I will be happy to help you if I can and we have local Tiki artists that would help you build a true Tiki palace which we need in Ventura County.

Ventura's a great town and I agee it is time for the Tiki to take it's place there.

Tiki Diablo

conceptual artistic drawings
design interior and install
carve all tikis and carved surfaces
design and manufacture tiki mugs
design and fabricate signage including welding
design logo

If I can be of any assistance now or in the future, give me a call

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2008-12-03 00:04 ]

From what I have seen in the Tiki revival, one of the main factors for survival is LOCATION. And an understanding of the restaurant business and the STAMINA to work and deal with the unwanted aspects of operating a public hang out, whatever its theme might be. Because that will become a main factor once the initial romance is over. To just WANT to own a Tiki Bar is not enough, you might be better off to build one for yourself in your basement and continue your regular job, Tiki culture might loose its fun factor if it BECOMES your regular job.

I wish the LOVE for Tiki culture, and the desire to create a perfect Tiki environment would be enough. But there have been several examples of Tiki Bars that opened since the year 2000 that were very passionate projects that were well executed, but closed after a a few years. Unfortunately the Tiki community here and out there is not sufficient to keep such a business afloat. It might help, but the general public, which any business needs, will not come running just because you have carved idols as decor.

Don't be surprised if you get a hesitant reaction here on this board, because there are numerous creative members here who have been disappointed (at best), and downright burned (in some cases) after having contributed their work and time (often for free) for new Tiki establishments that, even though they turned out as fine examples of Tiki places, closed shop either because they were not in the right location, or the "Tiki fan" part of the owner's motivation had been satisfied and they threw the towel.

I am not at all insinuating that your plans are not well thought out and you're able to carry through, they certainly sound like they are. I am just providing food for thought and consideration. I support any and all attempts to further Tiki culture, and if you are that well balanced mixture of being a passionate host, a business man, and a Polynesiac that it takes to run a good Tiki establishment, you will succeed. I believe that Ventura, and beach cities in general, are basically good locations for such a concept, but might come down to the right STREET, even.

I think to get a glamor rendering of the ideal place as you see it would be important to get funding. There are talented folks here on TC who could whip up such a rendering, but if you don't find volunteers, you might have to offer a little pay. A less expensive alternative would be to copy exteriors and interiors from the Book of Tiki (or Tiki Modern) and create a portfolio of ELEMENTS that will make up your place. It won't be IT, but it will be something to show.

Everyone here would love to see another tiki establishment open, grow and last for decades. There are signs that the time is right for tiki themed establishments. But as mentioned by several above, there are so many factors involved.

I've owned and operated restaurants/bars for over 20 years. I LOVE this business-- it is my passion! Having that drive is number one in my book.

Number two (for new restaurants) is a business plan that allows for the first five years with no profits taken out. None. This business is that tough. I can not tell you how often I'm talking business with someone and they refer to one of our restaurants as "a goldmine!" There is no such thing. People see how busy we are and think we got lucky with a great location and the sales and profits just fall into our laps. If only!

I create the decor for my restaurant/bars and I think the atmosphere is an essential ingredient in the experience you provide your guests. People don't go out because they are simply hungry or thirsty. There are plenty of grocery stores and 7-11's if that's all they want. They come to their favorite restaurants and bars to connect socially and to escape the pressures of life. So, consistent quality in food and drink gets you into the game and a atmosphere that people love along with great service makes you the place guests keep coming to. As discussed in other threads, a tiki theme certainly is about escapism, and that's a great start.

A tiki bar is also about (faux) tropical drinks, which can be very profitable. A bottle of beer is not nearly so profitable as a well made Mai Tai. Attracting guests willing to go for the $8 or $12 mixed drink and not the $3 beer is obviously the goal. So with a location acceptable for this type of guest and an atmosphere that leads the guest to this type of drink selection and a staff that can deliver... you've a chance to put some money in the till.

There is a danger in trying to be all things to all people. The tiki bar that has TV's across the top of every wall, has a jukebox with everything from country to rap, features chicken wings on Sundays and a taco bar on Monday nights, lets the beer distributors hang all their pennants and signs heralding their latest low carb beverage-- well this bar has really no theme at all. Often, the establishment doesn't start out this way, but when sales aren't growing fast enough, changes are made based not on what might attract more to the concept, but on what the competition is doing.

How many drinks and pu pu platters you sell, may have to do with the demand in the market. I look for other restaurants/bars that are close by and are way to busy for what they are providing. If there's a wait to get a table on a Tuesday night at 8PM at a place that holds 150 people, and the place is a bit rundown and the food and drinks are only fair, there may be some volume to be had in the market. When I survey residents in a market, they ALWAYS want more restaurants to move in. That doesn't mean the volume is there to support more restaurants in that market, it's just that new restaurant/bars are exciting. So you have to look beyond what people are telling you when choosing your location.

Please excuse me for running-on a bit here, I just love talking about this stuff! I don't think I've said anything that everyone doesn't already know already.

I hope this a time when many, many successful tiki bars open across the country. We need professionals to get in this game. People need places to unwind and enjoy life. With all its history and exotic allure; tiki is a great way to go!

T

On 2008-11-29 04:54, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Please excuse me for running-on a bit here, I just love talking about this stuff! I don't think I've said anything that everyone doesn't already know already.

Not true. Most people don't know these things.
I can tell just by what you say the you know what it is all about.
I too had a restaurant for 10 years. And I love talking about the biz too.
BUT when you open it will not be as glamorous as you think.
When I took over my parents place we had a great staff, well the dishwasher
was drunk or late or not there most of the time.( That means you do the dishes)
And you say you have other people who know the parts you don't.
When they leave YOU will need to stand in, Or have someone you know that can
get you out of a bind and stand in.
I have seen people put all of there money into a place and lose it all.
And this is after working hard in that place for many years.
I made good money at the restaurant and sold it after 10 years.
Most don't.
It is one of the highest failure rates of all businesses.
I will say though when it is good it's the best!
When it's bad it's hell!

let me know when you need a few lamps for you new place.

http://www.monkeymandesign.com

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-11-29 20:07 ]

ST

On 2008-11-29 19:50, tikiskip wrote:

Not true. Most people don't know these things.
I can tell just by what you say the you know what it is all about.
I too had a restaurant for 10 years. And I love talking about the biz too.
BUT when you open it will not be as glamorous as you think.
When I took over my parents place we had a great staff, well the dishwasher
was drunk or late or not there most of the time.( That means you do the dishes)
And you say you have other people who know the parts you don't.
When they leave YOU will need to stand in, Or have someone you know that can
get you out of a bind and stand in.
I have seen people put all of there money into a place and lose it all.
And this is after working hard in that place for many years.
I made good money at the restaurant and sold it after 10 years.
Most don't.
It is one of the highest failure rates of all businesses.
I will say though when it is good it's the best!
When it's bad it's hell!

Thanks once again for the info and words of wisdom! I am prepared for the long haul trust me!This means taking responsibilty for learning the business, MY business from top to bottom, inside and out! I never really planned on getting rich from my endeavors to be honest.

I also understand the importance of location,location, location! In my town, thats downtown and thats exactly where I am going to be. As I stated before I am building small-ish for a few different reasons. I want the small,personal feel type of place, and I want it to be an "experience" for every person that walks into the place. I am prepared to do what it takes to make it happen

ST

Everyone here would love to see another tiki establishment open, grow and last for decades. There are signs that the time is right for tiki themed establishments. But as mentioned by several above, there are so many factors involved.

I've owned and operated restaurants/bars for over 20 years. I LOVE this business-- it is my passion! Having that drive is number one in my book.

Number two (for new restaurants) is a business plan that allows for the first five years with no profits taken out. None. This business is that tough. I can not tell you how often I'm talking business with someone and they refer to one of our restaurants as "a goldmine!" There is no such thing. People see how busy we are and think we got lucky with a great location and the sales and profits just fall into our laps. If only!

I create the decor for my restaurant/bars and I think the atmosphere is an essential ingredient in the experience you provide your guests. People don't go out because they are simply hungry or thirsty. There are plenty of grocery stores and 7-11's if that's all they want. They come to their favorite restaurants and bars to connect socially and to escape the pressures of life. So, consistent quality in food and drink gets you into the game and a atmosphere that people love along with great service makes you the place guests keep coming to. As discussed in other threads, a tiki theme certainly is about escapism, and that's a great start.

A tiki bar is also about (faux) tropical drinks, which can be very profitable. A bottle of beer is not nearly so profitable as a well made Mai Tai. Attracting guests willing to go for the $8 or $12 mixed drink and not the $3 beer is obviously the goal. So with a location acceptable for this type of guest and an atmosphere that leads the guest to this type of drink selection and a staff that can deliver... you've a chance to put some money in the till.

There is a danger in trying to be all things to all people. The tiki bar that has TV's across the top of every wall, has a jukebox with everything from country to rap, features chicken wings on Sundays and a taco bar on Monday nights, lets the beer distributors hang all their pennants and signs heralding their latest low carb beverage-- well this bar has really no theme at all. Often, the establishment doesn't start out this way, but when sales aren't growing fast enough, changes are made based not on what might attract more to the concept, but on what the competition is doing.

How many drinks and pu pu platters you sell, may have to do with the demand in the market. I look for other restaurants/bars that are close by and are way to busy for what they are providing. If there's a wait to get a table on a Tuesday night at 8PM at a place that holds 150 people, and the place is a bit rundown and the food and drinks are only fair, there may be some volume to be had in the market. When I survey residents in a market, they ALWAYS want more restaurants to move in. That doesn't mean the volume is there to support more restaurants in that market, it's just that new restaurant/bars are exciting. So you have to look beyond what people are telling you when choosing your location.

I hope this a time when many, many successful tiki bars open across the country. We need professionals to get in this game. People need places to unwind and enjoy life. With all its history and exotic allure; tiki is a great way to go!

Goldmine??Only if thats whats running through your veins!!! Haha...

I couldnt agree with you more...there is such pressure to be the "everything" bar. About 12 years I was involved with a bar that opened and operated as a "1940's/WW2" bar. Great decore, concept, and even greater exceptance. No neon NO nonsense! Slowly the ownership was swayed with promises of "vintage" styled signage for the walls. Cigarette dist companies as well (back when you could smoke). That was the beginning of the end.

I learned a valuable lesson with that and other bars I have been around. I plan on NO outside influence unless creative. I cant talk enough about the reasons why I want to open small and possibly stay that way. Ask yourself, how big is the Tiki Ti?
I have always studied the amount of money that needs to be made per square foot. I am a big fan of making a place that seats 100, so it looks busy most every night.I have decided to only appetizers or "bar food". You might find chicken wings, but you can bet there will be a twist. I have a chef friend of mine concocting great, cheap , food that can be fixed with an oil less fryer (I am a firm believer that food is a curse).

I have developed a tiered drink menu that will allow most patrons the chance to have a "faux" tropical drink if they want one. If they want a top shelf drink off the" Kamehameha" menu they will pay a kings price. If they want a drink made from a above decent, yet priced for profit well rum off the "Kahiko" menu then they will be able to do that as well! I will even serve Primo beer for 3 bucks! I know that I will still run a bar and there will always be people that want to drink a cosmo or vodka cran.I may not want that particular crowd but I sure as hell will take their money!

St Tiki, it sounds like you've got your head in the right place. The restaurant/bar business is THE COOLEST business in the world! Every night is an adventure, the people you work with, the guests you meet, the stuff that happens, the craziness of it all... and you create the whole thing!

Here's one little idea: I love a place with traditions. Start some on the day you open up. At some of our locations, we do a six o'clock toast every night. The manager introduces him or her self to each guest seated at the bar and at exactly six, they all raise their glasses and toast all past guests, all future guests and especially those at the bar right now. Often, the manager buys a round for everyone at the bar of whatever they're drinking. Everyone joins in and the conversation is always livelier afterwards. I love it; it feels great! (We'd do it all all locations, but some are just too big and busy.)

P

There's a sort of primer to help out any establishment right here on TC and you can find it among the posts of the birth and success of Forbidden Island. martiki learned every facet of the business from the inside of reputable vendors and restaurants and then joined forces with people of similar fortitude and imagination.
I don't know the order of importance but it seems like - drinks, personnel, promotion, atmosphere, events - all are vital.

Good luck - I hope to visit one day.

I like Demerara Dry Floats. Make sure it's chilled to the point of freezing and served by someone beautiful. :wink:

Pages: 1 21 replies