Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Art Show in Hollywood Opening Night Friday, Dec 12 'Tis The Season To Be Tiki! WHAT A BLAST!

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

T

Aloha Everybody!

Tiki Season is still going strong!

'Tis The Season To Be Tiki group art show opens Friday, December 12th at:
Brick and Mortar, 1505 N. Gardner Street Hollywood, California.

Artists reception starts at 7pm and goes into the night!

There's a great line up of artists!
Amber Skowronski
Atomikitty
Babalu
Big Toe
Bob "Tiki Buzzard" Spahle
Bowana
Brad "Tiki Shark" Parker
Christopher Sowers
Eric October
Go Tiki
Jonpaul Balak
Ken Ruzic
Mieko
Ocea Otica
TikiThomas

There will be a tiki bar serving mai tais, instead of boring old art show opening wine, plus exotica music, and possibly a screening of a short documentary on Victor Bergeron and Trader Vic's!

Show runs until January 5th, check it out! Mahalo!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2008-12-11 12:14 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2008-12-12 09:19 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2008-12-13 09:22 ]

CJ

there's so many things going on. I'll be there!

ill be there!

:D

wow!!
cool.

mmmm pie.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

YAAAAAAAAAY!
and that flyer is the CUTEST!
:)
an unexpected turn of event
has now placed the cards in FAVOR of attending!
my wife's driving...
:)
Toe-you need a ride?

M
mieko posted on Thu, Nov 27, 2008 8:28 PM

I'm very excited to be involved and I'll be there for the opening!

I'd like to say that I'm really glad we're having Tiki events last through the end of the calendar year. When we first started Tiki Magazine there weren't nearly as many events. When Tiki Oasis moved to August that pretty much ended the year for Tiki. We now have events all the way up to Christmas. A big thank you to everyone responsible for taking the ball and running with it. Putting on an event is a lot of work.

Big Mahalos.

B

ERIC!! Thanks for putting this show together brother....this should be a ton of fun! YAY!

T

Aloha everybody!

Three supercool artists have been added to the line up:

Atomikitty!
Bowana!
Go Tiki!

Yay! Tiki Season is in full swing!

(updated announcement at top of this post!)

Mahalo!

GT

What a Fun show this will be, What a Great round-up of artist, Hope to see a lot of TC'ers on opening night, Thanks Eric, Mahalo! Gogo

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Dec 8, 2008 8:03 AM

Well, I might as well kick this off...These are the 2 pieces I'm putting in.

Eric, thanks for picking up my work at the Chop yesterday, and in general, for personally ROCKING the socks off of Hollywood!

T

After a weekend of collecting work for the show, our tiny apartment is packed to the gills with so much AWESOME tiki art! We're surrounded by Kinny, Big Toe and Brad's paintings, and Bowana, Bablu and Buzzard's carvings, plus Mieko's pendants... throw in my work and the collection of talent is still amazing!

I'm delivering to the gallery today, but some of these fantastic pieces might get "lost" and end up hanging on my walls...

And that's only half of the artists showing! Can't wait to see what Jonpaul, Ocea Otica and Go Tiki will be showing!

Thanks for posting Babalu! I'll try to get up some pix of new things I've completed soon!

Mahalo!

ill be bringin this ol' guy

and was hoping to get this done in time, but with finals this and next week i dont think ill have it done in time
measures 48''x60''
the ufos were going to be beaming up tikis, and in the thought bubble it will say "tiki?"

still a work in progress!

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-12-08 13:35 ]

CJ

Art and Mai Tai's! I'll see you there

GT

Thanks Eric, Just got back from Brick and Mortar, Here is a small bit of ceramic art we have for the show and for sale:

Dani's Deep Sea Rum Barrel #1
Tidal Pool #1
Go-Mo-Bowl AP #1
The Sacrafice is Great #1
Skulldron #2
Big Chip AP #1
Tiki Time Clock/Ashray Set #3
Hula Girl Ceramic Jewelery ( Trinkets by Dani )
Plus many, many more AP items and low number ceramics, for sale!

See Ya There! Mahalo! Gogo

T

Wow!

The show is shaping up to be something really special! Lotsa great work from really talented artists!

There will be many great gift items (at great gift prices!) like pendants and other jewelry, cards and mugs, in addition to the stellar paintings and carvings!

Here's some new items I'll have:

Mini Tiki Masks, about 5" in diameter

Framed Mini Tiki Figures, about 2", in 4" x 5.5" frames, backed with vintage tiki shirt material.

Looking forward to Friday!
Hope to see you there... Mahalo!
Eric

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Dec 9, 2008 6:59 AM

Nice work, Eric!
I want to thank you and Manuel for making the pick up on Sunday and for making this happen.
I'm not going to be able to make it to the opening, so I hope there's some pictures!

Bowana

M
mieko posted on Wed, Dec 10, 2008 7:53 AM

I'll be heading up early and visiting OA and getting some grub. Should be a fun night!

B

i'm gonna be there fer sher.

come by and say hi...

to ur mom

T

When I was dropping off some of the artwork I was rounding up over the weekend for the show, I got to see some of Go Tiki's work in person for the first time. WOW! Amazing stuff!

That made me realize that there are some other firsts involved with the show.
This will be the first public showing of Brad Parker's "Menehunes Come Out At Night", the incredible piece featured on page seven of the current issue of Tiki Magazine... that will be great to see!

Ocea Otica is going to be unveiling his most involved, intricate bowl ever!!! The likes of which has never been dared imagined by mere mortals!!!

And this is Bob "Tiki Buzzard" Sphale's first showing of work, like ever! Yay!

I'll be showing for the first time my difficultly titled "The Encounter, or The Lost Bumatay Rediscovered, or The Clairvoyant Blowfish Has a Vision of His Future, an Afterlife Hanging in a Tiki Bar"

Here's a pic of it, though I think the title says it all, really:

My apartment was packed with work by Big Toe, Brad, Kinny, Bob, Mieko, Babalu, and Bowana so I know the show is gonna be great... but I can't wait to see everything from Jonpaul, TikiThomas, Atomikitty, Christopher, Amber, Ocea Otica, and Go Tiki!

YAY!
i never notice the barnacles on the Butamay! :lol:
This is gonna be a good 'un!
I'll have four paintings there
kind of a showcase of some of my favorites from the past year...
Sorry i didn't have time to kick out anything new
but i'm just following Big Toe's lead! :lol:
Here they is!
"Guardians of the Plumeria"

"Jungle Dance"

"the Magical Tiki Tree"

"See no Evil...Totem"

Terrill and i will be there with smiles and hugs!
I'l have some Coloring books in the car
in case you ordered one!

Looks like it's going to be an awesome show. Wasn't sure I wanted to brave the traffic through Hollywood on a Friday night, but now I just might have to!

T

Some show updates:

Unfortunately, the gallery couldn't get clearance to screen the mini-documentary on Trader Vic's, but on the plus side, there will be Chi-Chis too, in addition to Mai Tais!

I was told that from the gallery's regular email list they've received close to 200 inquiries and RSVPs about the show... here's hoping that translates into a packed house opening night!

Mahalo! Hope to see you there!

YAY!
See y'all Tomorrow!

GT

"Tis The Season To Be Tiki" Dani and I are looking forward to seeing and meeting a bunch of TC'ers, We made a small batch of "Limited Edition" Holiday pendents for the show for FREE to any TC'ers who want one, Come to the show and say Hi and lets have a cocktail! Ask me early I think they will go fast! They all ways do! Cheers! See Ya There! Gogo

M
mieko posted on Thu, Dec 11, 2008 7:07 PM

Woot! Very excited about this! Kinny - do you have an extra coloring book for me?? I didn't order one, but I want one, Pleaeease? :)

Looks like Bob and I should be heading up together, if anyone wants to join us for dinner, lemme know!

Mieko

T

Hey Bigtikidude! Thanks for posting the link to map! Shoulda thought of doing that!

Mieko- where are you going fer dinner? I'm sure I'll be crazy busy then, but eating food is always a nice break... Manuel and I would like to join you if we can manage it!

I am SO EXCITED about tomorrow I could burst!

Looks like a great show, but I have my little one, so I won't be able to make it tonight. I hope everyone involved has a great evening. A very awesome collection of art and talent.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Dec 12, 2008 8:29 AM

It's gonna be great!

I'm not sure on dinner yet, the Thai place is a possibility, although I was poking around looking for other options, I haven't seen the Luau yet, or Damon's and I haven't been to Bahooka in a while. It depends a bit on who can come. :)

I'll give you call once plans start firming up! Give me a call if you need any help!

I will be there with Holiday Bells on! Wow I was feeling awful at the Tonga Hut last week & I had to cut out so it will be nice to visit & do some GREAT shopping. I see there are some new additions in the line up too! Ho, Ho, Ho, see ya there!!

Hope to see lots of you tonight!!!!!!!!
Everyones stuff looks great, got to see some of it in person yesterday, really tops. Was there for just a minute, and only saw some of the stuff up in place, but Babs, that bowl is a standout piece of the show, i hate that my junk will even be in close proximity!!!! Christopher Sowers large piece is a powerful image, and Amber's pieces, specially the Maori ones are killer. Did not see Tobunga's piece at the time but the posted pic looks cool, i look forward to taking in all the artists work tonight!
Tobunga, that was a big build up, hopefully people dig the work. The Modern Maori bowl, which i will post pics of later, is by far technically the toughest thing i have done, though whether that is evident will be up to all of you.
Here is the other new piece i will have at the show, the Pele Wakes bowl. Sorry for the crappy pics, was in a rush to shoot her before i dropped her off at the gallery. These pics kill the intricacies of the glaze work and do not represent the colors very well. If you look close you can see the dry ice fog that comes out of the lava Pele is throwing into the air via a chamber inside of her.
Enough of my Blah Blah Blah, looking forward to hanging out with folks, and thanks to Tobunga for putting this show together!

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-12-12 12:32 ]

Shit Cass! That's off the hook! See you tonight gonna be fun!

B

You da bomb Cass!! Sweeeet!!

T

On 2008-12-11 18:45, GO TIKI wrote:
"Tis The Season To Be Tiki" Dani and I are looking forward to seeing and meeting a bunch of TC'ers, We made a small batch of "Limited Edition" Holiday pendents for the show for FREE to any TC'ers who want one, Come to the show and say Hi and lets have a cocktail! Ask me early I think they will go fast! They all ways do! Cheers! See Ya There! Gogo

Wow Gogo! Those pendants are AWESOME! I'll certainly want to get my hands on one!

I look forward to finally meeting you and Dani in person tonight!

7 HOURS TO GO!

T

WOAH, CASS!!! Just saw your Pele Bowl! FREAKIN' INCREDIBLE! Can't wait to check it out tonight!

We will have to toast the legacy of Bettie Page tonight!!!! Long live the Queen of the Pinup!!!

Pele wakes and lady Phoenix rises! :o

Cracks and crevices in the volcanic crater to hold flame and dry ice? Cass, genius! Pure genius!

sandz

that bowl is off da hook! ill see you all there tonight!

T

Three hours to go!

I just stopped by the gallery... it it absolutley jam-packed with awesome tiki art!

I'm very excited!

Holy COW, Cass! That is totally amazing. Wish I could be there tonight to ogle it in person. Have fun & CONGRATS- that some beautiful art~ -Andy

What a blast, exhausted, will post more later and pics at the bar afterward (Kelly, the Thai joint had a bouncer who would not let the four of us in) but here is a photo i did not get posted before the show, the Modern Maori bowl.
Thanks Eric and Bradley! had a blast with everybody, gotta crash out.

and a special thanks to those of you that made the drive from orange county, 2 hours in traffic, and Thomas, 4 hours, shit!!!

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-12-13 11:51 ]

B

Sounds like you guys had a fun time. I'm bummed I had to work yesterday. Post pics when you can.

Cass, that Modern Maori is really very cool. My favorite of piece of yours. For me, you are starting to jump from craft into higher art with this direction. I would love to see a show with all of your altered bust pieces together. Killa work man!

that was a good time, thanks for putting it together eric! good seeing all you tiki art folks again, and good meeting new tiki faces like oceaotica and go tiki

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-12-13 10:37 ]

GT

Great Job! Thank You Eric, The opening night of the show was Very Fun, Also Thank You, Bradley of Brick and Mortar, Some very cool art, And lots of it! Cheers! Gogo and Dani

B

thanks eric
seeing my tikis in a place so cool was really great!
it was the 1st time showing my stuff and was alittle scary
at 1st,but after 5 or 6 maitaissss it was pretty fun
thanks meiko for being the dd
it was great meeting the other artists,there was alot of great talent
in the room,and glad i could take part

Very Fun!
Great Art!
Hilarious Crowd!
Esteemed Arteests!
and a little puppy
Bull Terrier that likes to play kissy-face!
Thanks sooooo much to Brick and Mortar for the lovely hosting
and Eric and Manuel for being the packMules of this exhibition!!
Thanks for all your hard work!
That Thai food was gooooooooooooood!

B

great job by all...fantastic venue, good selection of artists, the art looked fantastic, the drinks were tasty. MOST OF ALL, thanks to everyone for taking the time to make it during ur busy holiday schedule. the group of friends was big fun.

big MAhalos to Tabunga for including me.

I probably shouldnt have let Kinny drag me out to those divey bars afterwards...i wuz fun, but i paid for it at the Mooneyes Xmas party on Saturday.

Alohas, t

PS; dammit Suzy...that dang coconut monkey i brought for u is still in my truck.

Pages: 1 2 52 replies