Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Egg Foo Fu Yung Young ?

Pages: 1 12 replies

E

Hello Tiki enthusiasts. I am new to this forum. I have always wanted to know more about my favourite menu item. Would anyone like to share an Egg Foo Young Story? I'm not sure of the exact pronunciation of this legendary Tiki treat, but in the past year or so I havent been able to get enough. Every time I go to a different chinese or tiki place I order it. When its cooked right, there is nothing better.
I love ordering it at the legendary Pago Pago in Milford Mass, as well as the infamous Han Dynasty in Framingham Mass.
I am starting this thread to request that everyone interested post a picture or story of your favorite Egg Foo Young.(you choose the spelling) You could even spice it up with a shot of your Tiki mug in the frame.
Happy new years everyone!!
and best regards
-Dan

"My name is EggFooDan and I am an addict"

Welcome to Polynesian Addicts Anonomous EggFooDan. :)

the only place I had Egg Foo Young was at home - my mother used to make us a great one when we were "foo" young. She is quite a cook. She would scramble up the eggs with bean sprouts and mushrooms (other veggies too, maybe) and cover it in a soy sauce sauce, not sure what else was in the sauce. She probably picked it up from a chinese restaurant or tiki bar in the 70's.

Tiki Drinks and Food?

Ahhh..I too love egg foo young!

Had you ever been to the China Royal in Fall River? In the late 60's and early 70's they had a tiny storefront with a great neon sign that was very diner-ish, and they were re-knowned thru New England as having the best pork egg foo young smothered in brown gravy, ever! It was great, and i also loved their "Fantail Shrimp".

Later they moved location, built a giant mega-restaurant, including a full-on immersive tiki bar and lounge with polynesian dancers and everything! It was the best and my family would drive from RI just to partake in the fun and food.

I have not tasted a egg foo young that lives up to my memories of this place.

I think it became a walmart. Now, after that savory memory, I am going to cry.

And another thing, how come most chinese restaurants don't serve using little metal dishes on pedestals anymore???

T

On 2009-01-06 10:57, inkylouise wrote:

And another thing, how come most chinese restaurants don't serve using little metal dishes on pedestals anymore???

Man, I always think the same thing. Those serving dishes always made a trip to the Chinese restaurant seem really special. What happened to those

Chinese restaurants are nothing close to what they used to be back in the day...don't get me started ! Especially the decor.

The ones here in LA don't even bring you won ton strips and duck sauce when you first sit down.(Except for a few like Fu's Palace, site of the old Wan-Q)

NY/East Coast Chinese restaurants are 100x better than what we have here in LA.

E

Hey wow thanks for all the responses! I havent been to the China Royal in Fall River, im only 24 :P
I was raised by my grandparents, who were always sticking thier noses up at the local Chinese Joints. My aunts and uncles told me that my grandparents refused Chinese food to them for reasons unknown. Perhaps they thought it was tacky. My uncle and my cousin took me to my first Chinese Restaraunt when I was very young. It was the Cherry Blossum in Ashland, and ive been a fan ever since. I discovered my love for Hawaiin records , exotica and tikis in the past few years. Ive got a large collection of Hawaiin albums.
Now ive become a fan of other things besides the food, like the nostalgia and the fact that most of the places I go feel like time capsules. Im very retro, and sitting in a great Tiki bar makes me feel like im living in the old days! There is also an amazing place in Woonsocket Rhode Island called CHANS PLACE jazz and eggrolls. I believe. Its a kickass place to see a rock band and grab some great buffet.
Has anyone ever been there?

E

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22094&forum=2&vpost=427375&hilite=ho%20toy

i wrote up this cool little blurb in another forum about a place I found recently in Worcester.

E

Hey I know exactly what you mean! I have seen it though, the last place I went to in Worcester had it, and the Pago Pago in Milford still does it.

T

UPDATE : Silver Pedestal Serving Dishes found at Lun Wah in New Jersey :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8667&forum=2&start=0

Check out the photos, about 3/4 of the way down.

M

Has anyone heard of a "St. Paul" sandwich? It is egg foo young on bread with onion, pickles and mayo. And the bread is white bread. I have never seen it on any other type of bread. It is a St. Louis thing, which I found out when I tried to order one in St. Paul, hahahah. You could get them at most old school Chinese restaurants or "chop suey" places. On the other topic, I also miss those pedestal serving dishes. My sister and I were at a local Chinese restaurant the other day and she brought up the stainless steel pedestal serving dishes. The last time I saw those in the St. Louis area was at "The Dragon Inn" in the late 70's. On the other hand, I have seen them in use at "The Golden Phoenix" in Moorhead MN until 2005 when it closed.

I have seen the metal serving dishes used at the Pago Pago in Milford Mass.
The Ho Toy in Worcester has them as well. I imagine they are using the same dish ware from over 30 years ago, icky...yet somehow great!

On 2009-01-07 21:05, marquee6 wrote:
Has anyone heard of a "St. Paul" sandwich? It is egg foo young on bread with onion, pickles and mayo. And the bread is white bread. I have never seen it on any other type of bread. It is a St. Louis thing, which I found out when I tried to order one in St. Paul, hahahah. You could get them at most old school Chinese restaurants or "chop suey" places.

In MA, you used to be able to order something known as a "Chop Suey Sandwich"! This was a highlite of the China Royal.

Pages: 1 12 replies