Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Show Us Your Swag Lamps

Pages: 1 37 replies

(I'll move this over to this thread)
Enjoy!

Nice picture! I should get fancy with mine. :)

Ya ...light em up !

here's the lamp i bought at the aku-tiki auction- it now hangs over the kitchen table.....

W

I saw this one yesterday at a hipster pizza shop in Tacoma. I snapped a pic for all you swag lovers.

It was around three feet long.

does this count? home made 2 driftwood boards with low voltage lights inbetween?

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-02-05 23:05 ]

JB

7.5 ft haning capiz shell light

H

Sputnikmoss, I just love your lamp, it looks great against the blue wall and the tiki painting..

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: unkle john 2012-03-21 14:40 ]

L

On 2009-02-24 09:03, Unkle John wrote:

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2009-02-24 09:04 ]

Beautiful lamp. I really like the wall hanging behind it.

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Feb 27, 2009 5:06 PM

Monkeyman, yer stuff rocks!!! Hey my mom lives in Vista, I'll give ya a shout next time I'm down. Do ya sell out of your home or do you have a store?

WOW! Can you give us ballpark pricing?

ballpark pricing is usually around $300 per lamp

much of the time half of that price is materials.

I dont operate a store... its all custom made to order..

beauty is I dont carry any inventory or overhead.

I will be a round when folks feel confident about their wallets again.

Lamp day this year will be a cheap one.

Thanks for the quick response. Gotta go now! If I can just find 6,000 bottles & cans on the side of the road, I can buy a lamp!
Seriously, Monkeyman, after I make some more progress on my lounge, you'll be hearing from me. Great stuff!!!!

BK

Finally got my $5.00 swag lamps hung. Well, 2 of them, anyway.

Hey, TD. Where'd those come from?

This is my fifth resin chunk swag. I'm gonna have to build me a tiki bar in my basement some day!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Nov 10, 2010 1:53 PM

That's cool!

L

Dear Bongo..we are having a tiki mug swap but for you it required you swap that lamp.I am your partner and will be sending you 20 Harvey's bucket mugs in return. No need to thank me.

:)

Awesome lamp--super jealous!

Too funny, Liz. Don't be jealous- I let my emotions get the best of me and paid full retail for this blue and green beauty- $175! Somebody... stop me... pleeeeez!

Beautiful lamp. I really like the wall hanging behind it.

Thanks! The wall hanging has a brother with different musical instruments. I'll try to get a pic of it and the new identical swag lamp I just scored on eBay. Now the Mrs. has her own. I was wanting to get an orange or green one to mix things up, but when we saw the twin and the price, we snagged it. Now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver it.

EDIT: Bongo, THAT is one beautiful lamp! I'm jealous.

[ Edited by: unkle john 2010-11-15 09:30 ]

MT

Here's a cool lamp that I picked up at the Antiques By The Bay swap meet at the ol' Naval Air Station in Alameda a while back. It's made by the Beaumont Glass Company, still in it's original box, which is probably why it has survived all these years. The globe is pretty large, a 16 incher in diameter - it's like the size of a large beach ball, about the same size as one of my large vintage fish floats. It has a really cool amber tortoise finish.

Speaking of fish floats, as you can probably surmise from the above pic, I plan to stick a small pufferfish into the lamp, and hang it in the tiki bar area. Here are some pics of various colored bulbs that I used in the puffer, or as I like to call it, Fun With Puffer Fish.

First up, green.

Here is the puffer, sitting on the other side of the lamp, rather than inside it. The light has to shine a farther distance and through two pieces of glass, but it helps give an idea of what color would look good inside. While green initially looked good, it didn't really jump out when it was behind the globe.

Next up, blue.

Blue ended up being even worse looking behind the globe than green.

Time for red. Red looks great.

Red really looks good in low light conditions, and photographs well in low light conditions too. So far it's the best contender.

Next up, my favorite, amber.

Amber really brought out the detail in the amber globe lamp. It really popped when it was behind the globe lamp. Plus it adds a nice vintage touch. I'll be going with this color.

Last one, white.

White photographed the best, but to the naked eye it was harsh. In comparison, amber looked better, so I'll go with amber instead.

I hope you enjoyed tonight's episode of Fun With Puffer Fish!

My swag lamp is an original ceiling lamp from an old Sambo's restaurant. The sambo's where I live closed many years ago and was converted into a Chinese restaurant with many of the original fixtures in place. I happened to be driving by when the Chinese restaurant was closing and they let me buy a bunch of stuff from the restaurant, including about 6 of the ceiling lamps. My picture isn't very good, the lamp is really bright orange.

yesterdays score

Just sharing these instructions I saw for making a globe lamp, thought it was a great idea.

Let's be honest, virtual maps and travel resources on the internet have made globes obsolete. Today, they serve more as decorative artwork that adds a small touch of nostalgia to a home. If you don't have a globe, they're fairly common in thrift or secondhand stores. However, most won't be in pristine condition -- and that's where this DIY comes in. It turns a damaged globe into a lamp shade for a surprising look. Keep reading for the simple how-to. First, find the exact center between the top and bottom of the globe, and draw a horizontal line around the entire globe. This will most likely follow the equator line. Use a saw to cut the globe in half. Next, measure the diameter of the socket attached to an electrical cord, and use the measurement to draw a circle at the top of your half-globe. (Tip: It'll be easier for you to install the socket later if the circle is slightly bigger than the socket.) Cut out the circle, and insert the electrical cord, prongs first, from the inside of the globe. Finally, screw in a lightbulb and hang. Repeat these steps with the remaining globe half. And, don't forget to admire your clever upcycled vintage lamp from below.

I like it!

I finally got this beauty hung after waiting for three years.

H

Trader Tom that is beautiful.

T

Love all swag and all light!

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2013-08-30 02:07 ]

Pages: 1 37 replies