Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

UPDATE! Lost Job, Lost Three People, and out of Saint James.. Need some Tiki Love

Pages: 1 21 replies

I

My Mojo is seriously off!

After nine years my company decided to whack our entire group.

Over Christmas three people died including Grandma-in-law.

I am TOTALLY out of Saint James, and since I no longer have a job which makes me travel there is not a night at the F.I. or the Mai-Kai in sight.

Could use a little encouragement here people!

Life's Too Short To Drink a Bad Mai-Tai.

[ Edited by: I-Tiki 2009-01-24 14:43 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jan 18, 2009 10:52 PM

Hang in there. GROG is surprised by how many people GROG has seen that lost their jobs, gotten a divorces, and etc. that seem like bad things at the time, but actually open doors to better things or relationships that they would have missed if nothing had happened to change the course of their lives.

T

I agree with Grog, just hang in there. I think we all feel your pain and most of us are feeling it could happen to us any day also. Not a day goes by that I'm not thinking that I could be next. But so far so good. I hope this opens up a new door for you and maybe that one will be your biggest payout ever. Good luck.

It's hard to see when we're in the middle of flux that things will get better again. It's part of that circle.

The great things that have been waiting will have space now to come to you. Something new and important is on the horizon. Keep an open mind and a keen eye out for it.

:)

T

Remember that sometimes things fall apart so that other things can fall together.

Chin Up I-Tiki
Mojos fluctuate...
it'll come back!
:)

L

I am sorry to hear about your loss...and the loss of your job.

I too am in the same unemployment boat since Mid- Novemeber.

I live alone on the West coast while my family and support system all reside on the East coast so it has been tough. I gave myself 48 hours to mourn the loss of my job (and income) and then I pretty much rolled on.

I am a very "things happen for a reason" type person so I know there is an amazing new job just on the horizon. YOu have to think positively and be as proactive as possible.

Since I worked 8 hours a day I now spend just as much time looking for a job --making finding new employment my job. Its helping me stay motivated.

On the days where I am hitting a wall I try to find ways to make money so now I spend part of my day selling on Ebay, I have had 2 successful garage sales and offer my services to housesit and run my friends kids to and from school or soccer practice, etc. Since its just me I live pretty cheaply anyways but even with unemployment I try to get creative to make a little more money.

For me if I sit in my apartment alone all day it starts to weigh on me so I have also looked at being unemployed as being a given a gift of time.
Before I spent HOURS of my day commuting...now I spend hours of my day working out. I am also learning to speak French because I have always wanted too and I hit up all the free stuff to do on the weekends around here so I spend no money.

All I am saying is if you look at being unemployed as being given a gift to 1)find a great, better job and 2)being given the gift of time you didnt have before you will stay in good spirits and good things will happen.

I wish you tons of success but I am 100% positive all will come out ok because really in the end that is the ONLY result that will come out of your situation.

Best of Luck!

Wow, that's great advise, I'm so impressed at that attitude! I've always thought that about work, either you work all day, have money but no time, or you don't work all day, have no money and have time to do the things you want (of course the no money is why we always go back to work)!!

I was told Friday by my supervisor that I'm being terminated, next week!

I'm going into HR tomorrow with a lovely letter explaining what happened, how unprofessional it is, how unlawful it is, and letting them know they need to fix it.

Should be a fun meeting :)

It sucks, but I know I'll survive and I'll be all the better for it.

I wish you luck, don't let the bastards get you down!! Find something you love and do that, eventually it will be prosperous, in one way or another :)

Mookie

T

"When the Road comes to and end, then change - Having Changed, you pass through" - I Ching

"Every Exit is an Entry somewhere else" - Tom Stoppard

From "The Simpson's" TV show
episode called "Fear of Flying"

Lisa: Look on the bright side, Dad. Did you know that the Chinese use the same word for "crisis" as they do for "opportunity"?

Homer: Yes! Cris-atunity.

Take it from someone that had to dumpster-dive, got laughed at by other kids as school for wearing hand-me downs that didn't fit, and wouldn't dare missing a day of school, because that at times, that was your only meal....you'll get through it.

Best of Luck and keep your chin up.

You guys ROCK! Right now I am hitting a rough patch-things are really messed up at work-the boss is calling in everyone for reviews and shouting, he's cutting our hours again and changing our days off. I'm so incredibly stressed. He is unbelievable. I can't even explain how stressful this job is. We don't even know if we'll have jobs! And people keep saying we're all trapped here because of the depressed economy here in Sacramento. I keep saying I wish I'd never moved here from the Bay. I go home and work on my tiki projects and read TC just to get my mind off it. I'm not sleeping well, have no appetite, and my jaw hurts from grinding my teeth. This sucks. I feel like at any moment the boss will start screaming at me in front of a patient. It's humiliating.

But you guys make me smile and give me hope. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I'll keep my chin up and keep looking ahead!

:drink:
Tacky

For right now I sit on the other side of the table(noting that I am saying "for now").

Although I have had to let people go for performance issues, I have never in nearly 25 years in management, had to let someone go because of hard economic times.

In fact, in the company I work for has 84+ years of being in business, which would include the last depression, has never had any layoffs. We thought we were in a recession/depression proof industry.

Next Friday, for the first time in my life, I am going to sit across the table from on of my team members and tell them they no longer have a job. Not because of anything they did, not because of anything they said, merely because of a painfully slow economy. It just plain sucks and I am not happy at all having to deliver the news. Not only is it a blow to the individual involved, it is a demoralizing stab to the team that remains. Thankfully the person is part time, retired and working to have something to do, but there is no rationalization that makes this task any easier.

I have been on the other side of the table and it flat out sucks. But I bounced back and found the next opportunity to be rewarding and extremely satisfying. The event opened other doors and I am grateful for the opportunities I found as a result.

Obviously, people handle the stress in different ways. That being said, there is no excuse for a boss or manager to be an asshole. It seems feelings are side-stepped and many people are hurt along the way.

Hoping the future becomes brighter for all of you. I don't know from one day to the next if I'll be joining your ranks. Keep your chins up and be proud. Make the best of your situation, because things will get better.

Yes, Sacramento as well (the burb's anyhow)!

D.

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-01-22 16:46 ]

I

MOJO Is Back!

Thanks everyone for your happy thoughts, encouraging stories, and uplifting attitudes. I just really wish we could turn this virtual bar into a real one so I could buy you all a drink. This is what happened to me this week:

1. Had a great interview with my No.1 choice of future employer. They called back next day for round 2. New job is not in the bag but it is looking good. If I get it it will be a great career move and 20% more $$$. :wink:

2. Mrs. Tiki went garage sale shopping in our Virginia neighborhood and came back with a treasure. A selection of old pine cones which were for sale for $5. As a bonus, they threw in the pinecone holder: the most beautiful killer clam shell I have ever seen. Just spectacular. We used to see some bigger in the Marshall Islands where I lived, but none more pretty than this one. Apparently the owner bought it in Indonesia in the early '60s.

3. An old buddy dropped by after his trip from the UK. He knew I liked rum so he brought me a bottle of Lemon Hart Jamaica. Nice....

I know a lot of us and our ohana are hurting right now. Just like many of you told me, keep the faith. This too shall pass and before long we will all be back on our favorite beach mixing and laughing. I can't thank all of my friends on this board who took the time to lift me up when I was feeling down. Please let me know how I can return the favor.

Mahalo!

Lee

See, The Tiki Gods Listen!

L

Great news!

If you want to know how to return the favor feel free to send cash (when you land the great new job of course!) -- I accept all major credit cards too!!

Keep us posted on the job front. Always good to hear that people come out on top!

Best to you!

T

I-TIKI.

"Every Exit is an Entry somewhere else" - Tom Stoppard - Indeed.

Good Luck, I really hope everything works out with the new gig.

I

On 2009-01-22 16:14, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Next Friday, for the first time in my life, I am going to sit across the table from on of my team members and tell them they no longer have a job. Not because of anything they did, not because of anything they said, merely because of a painfully slow economy.

Obviously, people handle the stress in different ways. That being said, there is no excuse for a boss or manager to be an asshole. It seems feelings are side-stepped and many people are hurt along the way.

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-01-22 16:46 ]

I was given the bad news in person from my boss while an HR representative from corporate was on the speakerphone. One of the things that really helped me put things in perspective was that my boss was visibly upset. It helped to know that he felt really badly about the situation. After the HR rep got off the call he spent about 30 mins. asking me how he could help me with the transition and apologizing for the situation.

I hope you get through this OK. The best thing you can do for the person you are letting go is be human and let him know how much you hate the situation as well.

Luck.

Lee

Tiki Mojo ROCKS!!! I had an interview on Monday. Working interview this morning. 40 minutes into the working interview I was called into the office by Dr and asked if I wanted the job. Probably the most exclusive dental office in Sacramento! Totally opposite my current office and basically what I worked in both in Walnut Creek and years before in El Cerrito. Still will work 4 days/week. Also had 2 other very good prospects, but this one was tops.

I'm hoping the Tiki Mojo will work big time for any other TC Ohana who need it! Warm wishes to all! And good tiki luck to all!

And yes, it does help if the person who is the bearer of bad news has some empathy. I have my review at my current job on Mon. So far the peeps who have already had their reviews have been yelled at and berated by the doctor for the entire hour. Most come out crying. But I have the ace up the sleeve, unlike the others. I've got somewhere to go.

Good luck to you all! TC Ohana is really an Ohana. I've seen it in action-these people you've never even met really care! Keep your chin up! Good things are bound to happen!

:drink:
Tacky Tiki

P
Pyro posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2009 8:12 PM

Congrats on the job Tacky Tiki!

L

Ho'omaika'i ! (that's Congratulations)

Glad to hear things worked out and hope 2009 keeps getting better for ya!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 31, 2009 10:14 AM

GROG want to hear if Tacky Tiki have interview and tell Dr. what a miserable S.O.B. he is, and to blow it out his ass.

TT

Well if anyone gets stuck and it's not looking good, apply for a job on an Island on the great barrier reef in Australia...

if you get an offer you can get a 6 month visa online, a $1000us plane trip will get you here and back, and your accomodation/food is provided, you need no phone,car,insurance,rent,groceries,gas,electricity,water etc, just pay for smokes and booze.

the wages are not high by any means but you can go weeks without spending a single cent if you are tight...

Obviously not everyone can do this and it is much more favorable living and working conditions towards younger people (most are under 35)and if you have a house full of stuff (which I know most of you do) it can be especially difficult but just reminding you all that there ARE options and some are awesome,

just gotta take the leap....

Pages: 1 21 replies