Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's in a Wan Fu?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Howdy all,

I've been checking out this site for a while and I finally decided to register. I searched every way I could think of so as to not re-post a previous discussion and as far as I can tell this hasn't been brought up yet.

I recently purchased a Stockton Islander Wan Fu mug off of ebay. I'd been after one for a while and finally snagged one on my 3rd attempt. I've seen it mentioned on a few sites that there was a "Wan Fu" drink. Despite much searching around, I haven't been able to find a recipe for it. Does anyone have any ideas?

A thousand thanks,

Hattori

Also known as Mr. Sleepy.
I believe the base liquor (believe it or not) was scotch.
Sorry, I don't recall the rest.

TikiCleen might know the rest.

Well, that's a start, but SCOTCH? Tikicleen, someone, what else goes in this thing? I'm dying to find out.

I always thought scotch was ridiculous for a Tiki drink.
All I can think of is that scotch was used as a cliche back in those days?
You gotta love those drink prices, and you keep the mug too.

(Poor pic quality)
Quote:
"The only way to "scotch" that letdown feeling. The mug is yours with our compliments."

Thanks Unga Bunga!

I love this menu page, definitely confirms that it had scotch in it. Now if I only knew the rest of the ingredients... Either way, looks like a bottle of Dewar's is going in the cabinet!

A

On 2009-01-27 08:55, Unga Bunga wrote:
I always thought scotch was ridiculous for a Tiki drink. All I can think of is that scotch was used as a cliche back in those days?

I think Trader Vic's uses scotch in its London Sour. Perhaps a Wan Fu is similar.

On 2009-01-28 15:18, arriano wrote:

I think Trader Vic's uses scotch in its London Sour. Perhaps a Wan Fu is similar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_bali_hai/3177665923/

Well, I tried the London Sour recipe and I thought it was really good. The scotch was noticeable but it wasn't overpowering, and the sweetness of the orgeat and syrup worked well to balance out the tartness of the lemon juice and OJ. Overall, its a good drink, but not what I was thinking of when I read the name "Wan Fu". So, my first attempt at coming up with a NEW WAN FU is as follows:

2 oz. Scotch (I used Chivas Regal)

1 oz. Southern Comfort

2 oz. pineapple juice

2 oz. cranberry juice

1 oz. orgeat

juice of one small lime

Shake it all together with 1 cup ice. The main thing I notice off the bat is that I can't taste the scotch at all. This is a good thing because normally scotch tastes like a mixture of gasoline and charcoal to me. It has a nice fruity taste overall and the orgeat gives it a nice, subtle sweetness. I still feel like its missing something. Give it a shot and see what you think.

Pages: 1 7 replies