Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

CLOSING NIGHT SAT. 04/18! TONIGHT! Kona tiki art show sat. feb. 28 salute to the swordfish!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies

T

The show has been extended until the night of the Tikiyaki performance/Tiki Magazine release party on April 18th!

So if you haven't seen it yet, there's still time to check out all the AMAZING artwork on display!

The show is called "Salute to the Swordfish" and the theme of the show is a tribute to the long a storied history of the restaurant, from it's original incarnation as Sam's Seafood to Kona, as it exists today, Orange County's oldest Tiki Palace... and, it's new future as the first DON THE BEACHCOMBER on the mainland in 30 years!

There is an incredible line up of artists including:

BigToe
Clysdalle
Doug Horne
Eric October
Go Tiki
Ken Ruzic
Kirby
MadDogMike
Mieko
Perry Drake
Sam Gambino
Squid

The artists will be creating pieces for the show that feature the iconic Swordfish Sign that has stood above the location these many decades.

These pieces will comprise the art show that runs from February 28th to March 28th at Kona.

The opening reception is Saturday, February 28th, starting at 6pm.

On the opening night, there also will be a tiki art sale and the artists will have many more tiki works available!

DJ BigTikiDude will be there, spinning Surf, Exotica, Hawaiian and Lounge!

The art show will be hanging in the Candle Room, the large room to the right of the main entrance, and on opening night, the tiki art sale will be held in the small dining room adjacent.

Kona opens at 4pm on Saturdays, so c'mon down, have dinner, and check out the show!
It's gonna be great!

Kona
16278 Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA. 92649

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2009-04-17 13:28 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2009-04-18 13:14 ]

sounds super
thanks for askin me to DJ sir,
appreciate that mucho.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

THIS JUST IN:

The very talented DOUG HORNE has just joined the line up of artists!

He'll be creating a Swordfish piece plus He and Stacey will have a table on opening night with plenty of awesome tiki available fer everyone!

YAY Doug and Stacey!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2009-01-31 14:20 ]

T

I'm there !

JB

Really Jim?

T

BREAKING NEWS:

The incredible art of KIRBY will be gracing the walls of the show!

YAY Kirby!!!

K
KuKu posted on Sun, Feb 1, 2009 12:56 PM

This sounds too good to be true! Better start saving my pennies...

Will there be an original piece of art as cool as this one from Sam Gambino there?
Because I may be in the market!!!!!!

Looks Great in my Den!!!!!!!!!!Dig? (the room is still under construction)

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville-man)

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2009-02-01 18:10 ]

T

On 2009-02-01 18:08, Wildsville man wrote:
Will there be an original piece of art as cool as this one from Sam Gambino there?
Because I may be in the market!!!!!!

Looks Great in my Den!!!!!!!!!!Dig? (the room is still under construction)

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville-man)

You better believe it, Rory! Lotsa cool original works of art! You can fill your den with all kinds of cool tiki art from Kona!

Plus, prints from that very Sam Gambino piece will probably be available at the show too! (still hammering out the details on that, so stay tuned!)

Sounds fun, lots of talent lined up. Judging from the title, "Salute to the Swordfish" guessing the show is a Kona benefit? or a Gallery show with a Curator? I prefer to have an idea as what to expect? Thanks :)
p.s. yes I see it says on " On behalf of Kona", but could you please clarify? As "On behalf" doesn't answer the question, Thanks again

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2009-02-02 16:20 ]

T

On 2009-02-02 16:18, Hiphipahula wrote:
Sounds fun, lots of talent lined up. Judging from the title, "Salute to the Swordfish" guessing the show is a Kona benefit? or a Gallery show with a Curator? I prefer to have an idea as what to expect? Thanks :)
p.s. yes I see it says on " On behalf of Kona", but could you please clarify? As "On behalf" doesn't answer the question, Thanks again

Aloha Hiphipahula!

Er, to clarify, I posted this on behalf of Kona, since (to my knowledge) Kona the restaurant is not a TC member.

The show is in two parts: A month long gallery show "curated", if you will, by me, which basically was me contacting all the cool tiki artist that I know and asking if they wanted to be involved.

The second part is a one night only tiki art sale (like the Tonga Hut art shows) where the participating artists will have their other, non-swordfish work available.

After the incredible New Year's Eve at Kona, I got the sense that people were having Tiki Event Withdrawals (I know I was... it's always an amazing time hanging out with TC Ohana [I don't know of any other online community that gets together in the real world, and it's great that TC Ohana does!]) and there wasn't another tiki event on the horizon for months and months... so, with a "let's put on a show!" attitude, I contacted Kona to see if they would be interested in hosting an art show.

I thought, since it was going to be held at Kona, why not bring the history of the restaurant into the theme of the show?

Chuck at Kona was very receptive to an art show, since he was exploring the idea of bringing interesting events to Kona.

So that's the basic genisis of the show.

Hope to see you at the opening Kelly!

On 2009-02-02 17:16, tobunga wrote:

On 2009-02-02 16:18, Hiphipahula wrote:

Aloha Hiphipahula!

Er, to clarify, I posted this on behalf of Kona, since (to my knowledge) Kona the restaurant is not a TC member.

The show is in two parts: A month long gallery show "curated", if you will, by me, which basically was me contacting all the cool tiki artist that I know and asking if they wanted to be involved.

The second part is a one night only tiki art sale (like the Tonga Hut art shows) where the participating artists will have their other, non-swordfish work available.

After the incredible New Year's Eve at Kona, I got the sense that people were having Tiki Event Withdrawals (I know I was... it's always an amazing time hanging out with TC Ohana [I don't know of any other online community that gets together in the real world, and it's great that TC Ohana does!]) and there wasn't another tiki event on the horizon for months and months... so, with a "let's put on a show!" attitude, I contacted Kona to see if they would be interested in hosting an art show.

I thought, since it was going to be held at Kona, why not bring the history of the restaurant into the theme of the show?

Chuck at Kona was very receptive to an art show, since he was exploring the idea of bringing interesting events to Kona.

So that's the basic genisis of the show.

Hope to see you at the opening Kelly!

I'll be there you know it! But to clarify the situation then, ??? ... I SHOULD expect Gallery Prices $$ and it will benefit the Kona, or Chuck or whomever? If I'm not mistaking, the shows at the Tonga Hut benefit the artist. So either way people should know what to expect and then of course want to also come out and support the Kona as well as the Artist. :)

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.