Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

CLOSING NIGHT SAT. 04/18! TONIGHT! Kona tiki art show sat. feb. 28 salute to the swordfish!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies

T

On 2009-02-04 14:03, lucas vigor wrote:
I think the crucial difference between Caliente Tropics and Kona is simple: Caliente Tropics is a hotel. people will always need a place to stay while in palm springs, or, when the economy is in the toilet, I could see caliente tropics going the way of all the cool tiki and googie hotels in Anaheim. They are still operating, but now house transients, poor families and meth labs. But at least they are still open for business.

Eating out is a luxury, though. No one HAS to go to Kona, when there are so many options around instead (like just eating top ramen at home.

But, I will be sad when the place does shut down. I wish things were different. Kona is the coolest place left.

They should look at maybe subdivding the property. Whe the Smoking Menehunes played the OC Weekly party there a while back, they had it basically divided into "scenes". I wonder if they could do that permanently. The bar, the hidden village, the restaraunt all could have different owners. Maybe it would not work, but there is a place in Tustin that did this succesfully. Big building, divided into three separate businesses.

Good point. Soccer Tiki always said that the bar should be run as a separate business. A good idea, if you ask me. It already has a very Tiki name - "The Outrigger Bar" - I suggested to Chuck that he play up on the retro Tiki vibe and serve drinks on fire , and large bowl drinks etc.... If people go there for the kitsch factor, so be it...whatever brings them in the door.

For that huge property there needs to be lots of income streams to keep it floating. I even suggested to Chuck that he use the parking lot and hidden village for an Antique Swap meet on weekend mornings,and car shows etc.... and turn the candle room into a full time art gallery displaying works for sale...not just tiki art, but all kinds. With those rich folk across the street, there is potential for that to work, and it has more than enough space to accommodate that sort of thing. The thing is, he already has $80,000 worth of banquets booked for next summer with school reunions and what not. Either way, there is alot of space not being used for anything there, when it should be used to earn money.

Atthe end of the day, the economy is in the shitter right now, and that is the main problem.

TM

The fictional "cheers" and "melville's" (upstairs) is a good example of how it could be done!

Swapmeets in the parking lot are also an excellent idea, Jim!

T

On 2009-02-04 14:39, lucas vigor wrote:
The fictional "cheers" and "melville's" (upstairs) is a good example of how it could be done!

Well, then, who is gonna be "NORM" ? - I vote for Soccer Tiki .

Hosting Swap mets and craft fairs is a great way to generate extra $$$....at $50 - $100 per table/space , that could bring in serious supplemental income for the place to help offset that monthly rent nut.

S
squid posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2009 3:30 PM

Hey Tobunga! I think your "ART SHOW" thread has officially been hijacked AND derailed. Maybe the kids will leave some space for the art when it's ready to post :)

SORRY!!!!!! At least we are keeping the subject alive!!!!

Sam's Very own Sam's Art!!!!!!!!!! Go Gambino,Go!!!!!

M

On 2009-02-04 14:43, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2009-02-04 14:39, lucas vigor wrote:

Well, then, who is gonna be "NORM" ? - I vote for Soccer Tiki .

Hosting Swap mets and craft fairs is a great way to generate extra $$$....at $50 - $100 per table/space , that could bring in serious supplemental income for the place to help offset that monthly rent nut.

They had a surf memorabilia swap meet in the parking lot about 2 months ago that i didnt realize was happening until i was driving by one Saturday morning. There were old surfboards, Hawaiiana and tiki stuff for sale. I bought a killer painting from a 16 year old kid named Joe Aaron, and was stoked to see the parking lot being used for such a cool themed event. Not sure if Chuck profited from the vendors or who was behind the organizing of it.

They had a surf memorabilia swap meet in the parking lot about 2 months ago that i didnt realize was happening until i was driving by one Saturday morning. There were old surfboards, Hawaiiana and tiki stuff for sale. I bought a killer painting from a 16 year old kid named Joe Aaron, and was stoked to see the parking lot being used for such a cool themed event. Not sure if Chuck profited from the vendors or who was behind the organizing of it.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30622&forum=1&hilite=joe%20aaron

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2009-02-04 16:06 ]

went there tonight with Sabu and a friend,
and Shag showed up as we were getting ready to leave.
wow!! celebrity sighting.

wish yall were there.

see ya Fri.
and sun. for brunch.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

On 2009-02-04 15:30, squid wrote:
Hey Tobunga! I think your "ART SHOW" thread has officially been hijacked AND derailed. Maybe the kids will leave some space for the art when it's ready to post :)

Well, at this point, the most important thing is what, if anything, can we do to keep Kona alive??!? So any discussion of that supersedes any discussion about an art show that can't happen if Kona isn't around!

So anything that gets tiki folk talking about Kona is good!

But there's like, three threads about it!
Can't we cram it all onto one thread?
Hurry! Before woofmutt does a Bilge thread!
:lol:

T

On 2009-02-05 07:57, little lost tiki wrote:

But there's like, three threads about it!
Can't we cram it all onto one thread?
Hurry! Before woofmutt does a Bilge thread!

Too late!

Big Tiki Dude already started a Sunday brunch thread!

Well, it seems the themes of these threads explore different sides of the situation but are inexorably intertwined... almost like a woven thatch mat... if we get enough threads going, we can weave a brand new tiki bar!

Maybe people are feeling a little frustrated and just need to vent somewhere...

is "venting" Tiki?

T

On 2009-02-05 10:21, little lost tiki wrote:
is "venting" Tiki?

No, it's Hawaiiana.

Can a Volcano vent?

Jeff(btd)

R

are trains Tiki?

R

:)

so....is Darth Vader Tiki?

T

Only if he goes to the brunch at Kona this Sunday... oops! Wrong thread...

However, I would hypothesize that in the above photograph, Vader is on a beach in Hawaii, purifying water that he can use make ice for a mai tai (You know, the Force can't do everything).

[ Edited by: tobunga 2009-02-05 14:41 ]

NOW THIS IS TIKI!!!!!!!!! BOBA FETT IS ALL ABOUT THE EARTH TONES!!!!!

We now will return you to your regularly scheduled program...

I was working on a Kona Swordfish tribute as a personal challenge, not as part of the show.

Here's the gory details if you're interested http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29606&forum=18&start=135&143

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 6, 2009 3:36 PM

Nice! Art on the art show thread!!! :D

P
pdrake posted on Fri, Feb 6, 2009 8:06 PM

i'm continuing with my piece as well.

in an additional attempt to bring the thread around to art . . .

here's a sneak peek at part of my piece.

mahalo

ask me how you can help change the world!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2009-02-06 20:07 ]

here's an abstract i started for the KONA event a few weeks back....
Still on the edge
about painting over it.....

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-02-11 08:58 ]

On 2009-02-11 08:57, little lost tiki wrote:
here's an abstract i started for the KONA event a few weeks back....
Still on the edge
about painting over it.....

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-02-11 08:58 ]

Slap a price on that bad boy!!!

i only got about 1/2 hour put into it!
I'm gonna let it live about 2 more weeks
and if the KONA show's a NO
then it's gonna GO!

LT

Slap som frickin' laser beams on their heads and sell it to Dr. Eeeevil!

On 2009-02-11 12:49, little lost tiki wrote:
then it's gonna GO!

So basically, as much time as you put into all your work.

On 2009-02-12 11:21, Daves Not Home wrote:

On 2009-02-11 12:49, little lost tiki wrote:
then it's gonna GO!

So basically, as much time as you put into all your work.

More time to "attend" to your mom......

got any scoop for us tobunga?
:)

T

OK, it's 9.30am the day after getting the news at 11pm that Kona will not only stay open, but be transformed into Don The Beachcomber...

I've contacted the artists, and half of them are still on track to do the show... so it looks like it's gonna happen, as scheduled!

I'll update the thread with the artist's roster as it becomes available.

Yay! I'm excited!

Go for it Tobunga, I'll be there. I guess we'll be celebrating the old and the new all at the same time !

This is Big Stuff !

I'll be there to DJ.
good times.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I am confused.You say Kona is going to turn into Don the Beachcomber?
That business has been closed for years, can you elaberate ?
Inquiring minds want to know .

Some news is good news to all.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-02-19 10:56 ]

Good for you Eric. If we can get a break from this movie deadline we will pop over to see y'all!

Jen

fleegle

On 2009-02-19 10:54, 1961surf wrote:
I am confused.You say Kona is going to turn into Don the Beachcomber?
That business has been closed for years, can you elaberate ?
Inquiring minds want to know .

Someone bought the rights to the name some years ago, and has been wanting to open a DTB for a while now. This situation with Kona came up, and he went for it.

He may have even been alerted to the Kona/Sams situation here on TC for all we know...

Squeaky wheels gets a greasin' as they say :)

So will it be same restaurant with a different name, or will they
change everything....menu ,food, decor etc.
Is Chuck out of the picture ?

So same bat time and same bat channel for the show, then?

H

On 2009-02-19 11:39, tikiyaki wrote:

...Squeaky wheels gets a greasin' as they say :)

Not that this necessarily applies here, but for the record, in my book, the squeaky wheel gets replaced.

On 2009-02-19 13:18, Hakalugi wrote:

Not that this necessarily applies here, but for the record, in my book, the squeaky wheel gets replaced.

The loudest complaints get the most attention, as in No matter what table they give her, Helen generally insists on a better one and gets it--the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The current version of this idiom, with its allusion to a wagon wheel that needs oiling, is ascribed to American humorist Josh Billings (1818-1885) in a poem, "The Kicker":"I hate to be a kicker [complainer], I always long for peace, But the wheel that does the squeaking Is the one that gets the grease." However, the idea of the idiom is much older. A manuscript from about 1400 had: "Ever the worst spoke of the cart creaks." Similar sayings were repeated over the succeeding centuries.

We kicked up a little dust which i think snowballed into a squeaky wheel, which in turn got us a new driver for our classic all original vehicle!

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2009-02-19 13:48 ]

did somebody ask for a squeaky wheel?

On 2009-02-19 13:18, Hakalugi wrote:

No Negativity allowed! Jezzzzh! LOL! :D I hardly slept last night while dreams mugs and bowls danced in my head... no, just kidding..
the ideas are endless.

Be cool if Jeff Berry ran the Bar or ummm??? Maybe a certain someone from the bay area?

Oh Yeah! ART SHOW! ART SHOW!!!!! COME TO THE ART SHOW!! :D

T

On 2009-02-19 14:13, Hiphipahula wrote:
Oh Yeah! ART SHOW! ART SHOW!!!!! COME TO THE ART SHOW!! :D

Hee Hee... Thanks for the plug for the art show, Kelly! I understand how we're all excited about the new prospects for this venerable old tiki establishment, so a little off-subject discussion is understandable!

And I wasn't even thinking of the possibilities of new mugs... wow... NEW MUGS!

T

On 2009-02-19 13:07, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
So same bat time and same bat channel for the show, then?

Hey Kiki -

Yes, everything is still the same...

Opening reception and tiki art sale Saturday, February 28th starting at 6pm!

Hope to see you there!

So lets see some finished pieces. I wanna see GoGo's and LLT's finished teaser pics. Lets get creating damnit !

GT

Here you go Ray, I hope these dry out soon without cracking! I know Kinnys paint will dry faster!

Vintage Sam's Menu, Note the clam shell bowl:

Clam Shell Bowl, Old school Sam's look:

My swordfish bowl, Celebrate the swordfish!

I have a good luck charm for my kiln MadDogMike gave me, lets see how well it works! Thanks Ray, Cheers! Gogo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies