Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

CLOSING NIGHT SAT. 04/18! TONIGHT! Kona tiki art show sat. feb. 28 salute to the swordfish!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies

T

Gogo, you da man . Those are awesome ! But the menu clearly shows straws in the clamshell bowl. Get busy man !

I was disappointed to have to decline the offer to create something for this show the second time around. After the show was put on hold i committed to another project. I hope the show is a blast and am glad Kona will live on! Looking forward to seeing what all the artists contribute.

Gogo, looks like that swordfish bowl is coming together nicely, looking forward to seeing how you finish it off. Is the swordfish center piece from a Duncan mold? It seems i have seen that swordfish piece in one of the old mold catalogs.

p.s. i have said it to Eric many times already, thanks for spearheading this show and its attempts to bring attention to and help out Kona, the spirit of the community is very evident in your goal with this show.

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2009-02-20 16:13 ]

GT

Not a Duncan mold, First I made a rough swordfish shape out of wood, I covered the wood with plastacine, Then sculpted the plastacine, Lastly I molded the swordfish, Lots of work Huh! But faster than molding a solid piece of clay, Thanks OceaOtica

T

Hey Gogo! That bowl is coming along great!

Here's a couple of pieces I'm creating:

This one is about 99% done.

It's based on the tapa patterns and tikis that can be found at Kona, mostly in the bar. It's ink on paper, 11x14.

This one I just started today:

This in-progress shot is just the background about 50% completed. I should be done with this in about two more days' worth of work. This piece is about 20x26 and is the most complicated painting I've started so far this year. The funny thing is though, I had this idea sort of vaguely floating around in my head for a while as a piece for this show, but it didn't really crystallize into the idea I'm painting until after all these ups and downs (and incredible UPS!) surrounding Kona these past few weeks... it really does feel like a celebration of sorts, and I'm having fun working on this piece, with a renewed sense of... I dunno... joy?

(I've completed more of the painting as of this post... I'm very excited about how it's coming along! I'll try to post more progress pix if I can!)

Hey Cass, nobody asked me to be in the show? Haa just a s well, my stuff is already there.

T

On 2009-02-21 00:13, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Hey Cass, nobody asked me to be in the show? Haa just a s well, my stuff is already there.

The Aloha Sign at the front door...now THAT'S awesome !

YAY!
great pieces are seeping out!
can't wait to see that second one eric!
The way you paint texture and light
it should be a lotta fun!
Might finish the SwordFish today...
will post soon...
Rockin!
1 week!

I am a bit bummed that the show couldn't be pushed a couple of weeks forward...
So far three or more sculptors couldn't get their work done to submit in time
and that makes me sad...

How about a Swordfish clay only show in the future?

1 week!

TS

Is Doug Horne on board still? This looks to be a fun event! Nice work to all who have submitted "Teaser" pics!

B

Awww, Eric...like Cass, once I heard that the show was off, I put this large platter, wall hanger guy, that I was working on, on the back burner. As you can see from the below image, I still haven't completed the sculpting part on this guy. I will try to finish that part of it anyway this weekend, but I'm afraid I would still never have time to dry him out (weighs 40+ lbs) and fire him twice.

Hopefully, we will all still get the chance to do something together under the same roof again at some future point in time.

You peoples RAWK!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 21, 2009 12:32 PM

Shouldn't ya'll be doing beachcombers instead of Swordfishes?

Hey Gogo, you're going to have to wittle that fin down on your Sailfish to make him a Swordfish.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-02-21 12:39 ]

didn't even catch that on first glance Grog, but ya, sailfish, big long fin, but Gogo you have a swordfish on the side of the bowl. Time to pull out a knife and start whittlin greenware

um even though you guys are right,
have you thought that maybe he is using the sail fish because the sail is helping to support the fish up like it is.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 21, 2009 2:52 PM

um even though you might be right,
have you thought that maybe he's a good enough artist to find a way to support the fish up like it is and still make it a swordfish instead of a sailfish(?)

But, GROG is pretty sure you have so much more experience doing ceramics than both Oceaotica and GROG put together that we should probably keep our artistic suggestions to ourselves.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-02-21 15:11 ]

GT

Easy fix:

Try a Google search under swordfish, You can see where I made the mistake, I never heard of a sailfish! I just used images of what pictures I came up with on Google search for my sculpt, I was just trying to make something cool and different for the show, That's all, Grog your very Keen! To point that out Thank You! Here is the picture I used as a reference, I'm not a fisherman even though I live by the beach! So I have no understanding of the two fish, Since I go surfing from time to time, My Moto Is " You Eat Fish, Fish Eats You! " Cheers! Gogo

T

On 2009-02-21 09:45, Tom Slick wrote:
Is Doug Horne on board still? This looks to be a fun event! Nice work to all who have submitted "Teaser" pics!

As of Friday, the 20th, Doug Horne was still on track to participate in the show... I'll get an updated flier posted soon, tonight if I can, but here's the line up as of today:

BigToe
Clysdalle
Doug Horne
Eric October
Go Tiki
Ken Ruzic
Kirby
MadDogMike
Mieko
Perry Drake
Sam Gambino
Squid

Unfortunately, we lost Babalu and OceaOtica due to the length of time creating their pieces, and Squid's piece will be joining the show after the opening (be sure to come back during the month to see it!)but Squid will be selling his tiki wares opening night!

We did, however, gain Perry Drake and Sam Gambino... we were making arrangements when the Kona trouble started and everything went haywire...

MadDogMike may also be submitting a piece, should have an update on that soon!

All in all, it's going to be a great show!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2009-02-24 10:50 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2009-02-26 10:21 ]

Heres a Swordfish fora referance . this is what I do for a Living, Fishmounts . second one Sailfish third is a Marlin

so you mean Grog was wrong calling it a Sail fish?

Thanks Jimmy.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

the one in the pic is a sailfish fin for sure, Grogs right on that . I just wanted to post a few Referances of what they look like . Swordfish are short stumpy type fish 3 - 7 footish , sailfish - marlins 3 - 16 feet long & are long more on the Sleek side . and are All Very Tasty on the BARBEE YUMMM .

wait,
the pic he posted looks more like the Marlin you posted.

now I'm confused.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

the one thats not flamed and is the Swordfish .

"Dream of the Swordfish"
acrylic on wood
with a Bamboo ben frame

sorry for the glare...

T

OH MY TIKI GODS!!!

Kinny, that's AWESOME!!!

Can't wait to see it up close and in person!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 22, 2009 11:17 PM

Nice frame, Kinny.

"a short stumpy fish" Whoa, wouldn't want to be accused of having one of those! I didn't realize that a sailfish and a marin weren't the same fish, see how educational TC is. So Tyger Jymmy, are the fish with the flame markings a sub-species?

Eric, sorry we've hijacked your thread with discussions of taxonomy and taxidermy :lol:

There lookin like that . Ken Very kool Painting .

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Feb 23, 2009 7:53 PM

On 2009-02-22 20:10, little lost tiki wrote:
"Dream of the Swordfish"
acrylic on wood
with a Bamboo ben frame

Get me a hook and some bait! WOW!!! I would love to reel this in and mount it...

P

peek . . .

yes, i'm putting myself up against the wire. what else is new.

man...this on and off thing killed me....been painting for the last few hours after loosing the weekend to Musink, but I think I'm going to make it under the wire...Hope to see everyone there!!!

may i suggest......
ZIPFIZZ?

T

Just want to give a quick MAHALO to all the artists that have been haulin' tiki-butt to get work finished for the show... I know the whole "Is Kona gonna close?" question had the status of the show in limbo for a while, and I really appreciate all the work the contributing artists are doing to get everything finished up in time!

All the work I've seen so far looks incredible!

So it will be a great show, and we can celebrate the future of Sam's and Kona as the restaurant is reborn as Don The Beachcomber! YAY!

Hey Eric!
Do we need to bring our own tags for the exhibition
or are you makin em there?
What time are you gonna be there on Saturday?

can't wait to get this over with!

B

hey kids,

here is a look at the progress on my fish painted live at Musink last weekend. i am trying to figure out how to display a live running time-lapse of the painting in real-time at the opening. i may need some help with the space-time continuum if anyone is a particle physicist:

thanks to Monsieur Lozeau for the fine photos.

[ Edited by: BigToe 2009-02-24 17:46 ]

T

On 2009-02-24 12:13, little lost tiki wrote:
Hey Eric!
Do we need to bring our own tags for the exhibition
or are you makin em there?
What time are you gonna be there on Saturday?

can't wait to get this over with!

Hey Kinny!

I'll be making the tags, and I'll be at Kona by 11am on Saturday.

I'm sure everyone is as excited as you about the big day! Yay!

P

On 2009-02-24 17:43, BigToe wrote:
hey kids,

here is a look at the progress on my fish painted live at Musink last weekend. i am trying to figure out how to display a live running time-lapse of the painting in real-time at the opening. i may need some help with the space-time continuum if anyone is a particle physicist:

thanks to Monsieur Lozeau for the fine photos.

[ Edited by: BigToe 2009-02-24 17:46 ]

your work is so awesome. can't wait to see it.

T

BigToe, you rock! That's one twisted swordfish! Totally awesome!

"Swordfish FauxMo #2"

I made a new 8.5 inch faux mosaic plate for the show. Same design as my test "FauxMo #1" but much better execution

Sweet!
MDM-that faux-saic is pretty sweet!
BigToe's swordfish just cracks me up!
there's even wood panels on his ride!

that shot of Tom with the yellow finger
reminds me of that scene in Memento
where kenny shows him the photo
of his first murder and he's all smiling
cause he finally avenged his wife
and damaged brain...

L

Like the new mosaic
MDM...and the frame for your piece really makes it pop Ken..looks like its going to be a good show for sure.
Now why don't you put all the pieces up in a trailer and do a mini tour so folks just North of ya can check out the pieces in person. You know like "Swordfish on Parade"

:)

Be sure to post pics and have a great opening night!

all the art looks great, can't wait to see it in person.
I'm gettin all my records and cds ready for the gig.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

FINALLY...ready for the show!

Well it's still a bit wet....and my eyes are worked from rushing to finish but this bad boy is done. It's 10x30 1shot enamel on a resin coated clayboard. Wanted a slight 3d effect with the resin coating....and a different approach to the swordfish, a bit less traditional but something that summed up the turbulent times the place has faced...

Here it is...

"The Last Grasp"

thats killer man
congrats

Jeff(bigtikidude)

top notch Man! before even reading the description I was thinking that this painting described the turbulence and change Kona is going through. Powerful image, beautifully executed, the dastardly tentacles of this modern economy

Thanks guys! I'm really excited about this one...I think it was a great step in the progression of my stuff and really fun to try something without a skull or zombie!!!

Well, there might be an old pirate zombie just off frame waiting to eat both animals brains but we'll have to see.... :wink:

T

Wow Dave!

The Last Grasp is incredible! Interesting commentary on the recent situation. A little ominous, but the title implies that the swordfish will survive... I like how it's pointing up, toward the lighter blue of the background, like it's moving toward salvation (hope I'm not reading too much into it!)

And MadDogMike's FauxMo #2 is amazing! I thought the first version looked great, but the second one is so much more polished and finished!

Oh boy, can't wait until Saturday!
Hope everyone can make it to the opening!

Mahalo!
Eric

you guys read waaaaaay too much into Clysdalle's work....

not enough bubbles in there,Dave!

besides that, it looks alright! :)

T

On 2009-02-25 06:57, MadDogMike wrote:
"Swordfish FauxMo #2"

I made a new 8.5 inch faux mosaic plate for the show. Same design as my test "FauxMo #1" but much better execution

Just received "Swordfish FauxMo #2" in the mail, Mike! It arrived safe and sound.
It looks even better in person, and it's a GREAT addition to the show!

MAHALO!

Gorgeous, gorgeous. Nice work. Really powerful.

I'm gonna try and make this shindig. I don't get out much these days, unless it's a gig, but I'd like to get to know all you guys.

Would be swell to see everyone again! Been in mourning since the Royal Hawaiian's demise.
Close by, so I have no excuses.
See you all there!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies