Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Bali Hai remodel

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

M

roll on Tiki Oasis 10 :)

C

I like the Goof, and to me offers one of the rare tiki/polynesian cross-overs into the world of Roadside Americana/"California Crazy" architecture--and though Shelter Island is not on the requisite major highway for such a status, it is on a major water highway (though the Goof doesn't face toward the water).

Before we single out the Goof as a racial caricature, however, consider that his close relative, the Roadside America masterpiece Mammy's Cupboard still exists and is operational in Natchez, Mississippi. And like the Goof, Mammy has had her pigmentation lightened over the years to downplay the racial profiling. In comparison to Mammy, at least, I don't think the Goof is going to offend as many people (other than those with bad dental work, or those with a missing glass eye).

Brent

B

I think they gave that "Mammy" a sex change operation as well. Looking more like "MaNNy" to me!

On 2010-03-16 12:23, congawa wrote:
I don't think the Goof is going to offend as many people (other than those with bad dental work, or those with a missing glass eye).
Brent

Hay!
I resemble that first remark!
:(

Jeff(btd)

N

Stopped by the Bali Hai yesterday. Its still a construction site, but its going to be something special. I was able to walk around with Andy Baumann and he showed me what they've done and what they are working on. WOW! I left very excited. Can't wait till it re-opens. They're looking at late April.

they better re-model the dinner menu, too. Please no more wedding food.

I actually thought the food wasn't too bad - certainly not as bad as MOST wedding food! Maybe an upgrade would be in order, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm more worried about the drink strengh!

On 2010-03-25 08:07, nicktiki wrote:
Stopped by the Bali Hai yesterday. Its still a construction site, but its going to be something special. I was able to walk around with Andy Baumann and he showed me what they've done and what they are working on. WOW! I left very excited. Can't wait till it re-opens. They're looking at late April.

Good news, Nick, good news! After the downfall of the Hanalei Islands and the demise of Mr.Tiki, SD Tikiphiles deserve a worthy temple to worship at more than ever. The Bali Hai is easily one of the ten most important Tiki power places in the history of the Tiki faith, and that it is not only still standing, but renovated in accordance to the principles of the movement (as it sounds it is) is cause for celebration!

On 2010-03-27 23:52, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2010-03-25 08:07, nicktiki wrote:

Good news, Nick, good news! After the downfall of the Hanalei Islands and the demise of Mr.Tiki, SD Tikiphiles deserve a worthy temple to worship at more than ever. The Bali Hai is easily one of the ten most important Tiki power places in the history of the Tiki faith, and that it is not only still standing, but renovated in accordance to the principles of the movement (as it sounds it is) is cause for celebration!

"Demise?"

Is Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge scheduled to close?

Thanks for the update, Nicktiki; it made me excited. They have said there'll be a new chef & some new stuff on the menu - personally I'm hoping all my favorites are still on there and still the same. I think the dishes I always get there are delicious. Very impatiently awaiting the reopening...

Not really any new info, but there was a small blurb in today's paper:

San Diego’s iconic Bali Hai Restaurant has gotten a new face-lift and a new chef. San Diego architect Graham Downes has refurbished the 55-year-old restaurant with a new lounge featuring a honey onyx bar and stylized Hawaiian light fixtures, among other transformations. (Don’t worry. He kept the restaurant’s collection of more than 100 Polynesian artifacts, including tiki figures, ocean charts and wood weapons.) Chef Chris Powell, formerly of Rancho Valencia, has created a Pacific Rim menu with Hawaiian flair.

MTM

I was out there two weeks ago. Too bad it was closed. Here's a picture of its progress.

[i]On 2010-03-31 20:01, bamalamalu wrote:
. . .
San Diego’s iconic Bali Hai Restaurant has gotten a new face-lift and a new chef. San Diego architect Graham Downes has refurbished the 55-year-old restaurant with a new lounge featuring a honey onyx bar and stylized Hawaiian light fixtures, among other transformations. (Don’t worry. He kept the restaurant’s collection of more than 100 Polynesian artifacts, including tiki figures, ocean charts and wood weapons.) Chef Chris Powell, formerly of Rancho Valencia, has created a Pacific Rim menu with Hawaiian flair.

I like the new Hawaiian fixtures and onyx, although the article omits the multi-million dollar investment!

I just noticed that the dock that was damaged by our Tsunami was the Bali Hai's:

Tsunami severs Shelter Island dock
Tidal surges also snap some concrete pilings

By Robert Krier, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 12:02 a.m.

A tsunami generated by the earthquake in Chile on Saturday did not leave the county unscathed, though most of the damage appears to have been confined to a small area of San Diego Bay.

**A series of tidal surges between noon and 2:30 p.m. knocked out a section of a dock at the Bali Hai Restaurant on Shelter Island, causing an estimated $50,000 in damage, owner Larry Baumann said. The restaurant has been closed since the beginning of the year for a remodel.

“We had a 4-foot tidal swing four times in an hour,” Baumann said. “It was like a river going in and out, in and out.”

The T-shaped dock was severed during the initial surge, leaving a roughly 12-foot gap. A water pipe under the dock also was broken.
In nearby America’s Cup Harbor, several vessels came loose from their moorings, including two 80-foot, 100-ton commercial fishing boats, said Eric Lamb, a captain with Vessel Assist San Diego, a marine assistance and towing company. The surges snapped concrete pilings where the large boats were tied up. Some of the swells swept over docks.

“It would rush in every 15 minutes, then rush out just as strong,” said Lamb, who arrived a few minutes after the first surge. “I’ve never, ever seen swells like that. It was probably between 8 and 10 knots. When our boat was in neutral, the surge would take us faster than we’re allowed to run in the harbor.”

Lamb and other assistance vessels worked until 8 p.m. securing boats. One of the large commercial fishing boats was temporarily moved to the G Street marina because of damage to the piling where it had been tied up.

Lamb said he had witnessed many tsunami alerts before, but no significant waves had materialized.

The water’s force dislodged one of two buoys that mark the Oceanside Harbor’s entrance, said harbor and beaches coordinator Frank Quan. The buoy, which was anchored in water 20 feet deep, washed up on the beach Sunday, Quan said. No damage was reported in the South Bay.

Similar surges were recorded in Ventura Harbor, where a dozen boats reportedly were damaged.

I stopped by the Bali Hai last night and the "Opening Soon" sign now says "Mid April," and there is obviously a lot of work still to go before they're ready for opening (I saw structural members still outside and not ready for installation).

M

I checked on things today and I'm hopefully optimistic! Opening in about 2 weeks.
It should be in fine shape for Oasis!
Where's my Mai Tai!

I have not chimed in on this till now as I have been in a deep funk, I was so worried that my Tiki Temple, my Mecca was going to the wayside as so many Tiki temples of past. I had my first mixed drink at the bar at Bali Hai in 1959. Okay, it was a Shirley Temple with my folks and I was 4. They had a full Tahitian Revue and I can remember the drums and the colors to this day. We faithfully visited Bali Hai every year till the 70's. (Not to mention every other Tiki and Nautical themed restaurant in So Cal, I come by it naturally, the old man was into Tiki also.)
I cannot describe how relived I am that the restoration is staying on theme. I also am thrilled by the omen that a Tsunami took out the dock. The Tiki gods spoke!

On 2010-04-11 18:36, bananabobs wrote:
I also am thrilled by the omen that a Tsunami took out the dock. The Tiki gods spoke!

I think that they are, or did restore the dock.
did you not like it being there, or just the way it looked?

I think it would be cool if you had a boat, to cruise up to a dock,
tie it up and walk up to the Bali Hi.

Jeff(btd)

B

On 2010-04-12 15:50, bigtikidude wrote:

I also am thrilled by the omen that a Tsunami took out the dock. The Tiki gods spoke!

Jeff(btd)

There are many restaurants in the Puget Sound where you can do that - it's one of the highlights of being a boater around here.

On 2010-04-12 15:50, bigtikidude wrote:

It's not that I didn't like the dock, it's just a cool omen that of all things a tidal wave hit, of all things the dock at Bali Hai.

I just think it would be cool to have a boat!

I just think it would be cool to live near enough to the water to need a boat :wink:

B

Unfortunately, the private boats I've been on have been driven by mad men who enjoy racing across the waves, which makes me SICK! And the pounding across those waves gives me a headache and pisses me off. Why do you guy DO that?!

On 2010-04-12 19:38, beadtiki wrote:
Unfortunately, the private boats I've been on have been driven by mad men who enjoy racing across the waves, which makes me SICK! And the pounding across those waves gives me a headache and pisses me off. Why do you guy DO that?!

See the Dashboard hula thread...

A

One of the last times I was at Bali Hai, there were some young guys fishing off that dock, and doing surprisingly well. Although, I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything caught in San Diego Bay.

I'll be in San Diego from 4/19-21. Is there even the slightest chance that the Bali Hai will be open? The timing is just my luck.

They still haven't announced a reopening date yet, but from what we've heard, it sounds like there's a chance it could be around then. I'd definitely give them a call when you get here. Here's hoping!

Will certainly do, and thanks for the update! It's my first time in CA, so I've been looking forward to this. Tiki Ti is a sure thing though, and maybe Trader Vics LA, too.

sorry off topic.
But,
Don't forget Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach, Near Huntington Beach.
and Tonga Hut in North Hollywood.

Jeff(btd)

Thanks a million! We're flying into Santa Ana, so Don the Beachcomber fits right into our 1st-night dinner plans. I'll try to squeeze the Tonga Hut in there somewhere.

OK, back on topic. Hope this renovation is for the better. :D

cool deal,
what day/nite do you think you will be at Don's?
Monday is TC nite. Happy Hour all nite, on drinks and appetizers.

On Sat. nights, and sometimes on Fri. they have bands in the bar from 9 pm to midinte.

BTD- we'll be there Sat. night, I'm guessing 10PM. Looks like the Glasgow Tiki Shakers are playing... sounds good to me!

Here's to squeezing as much tiki into 1 week without my fiancee bludgeoning me to death.

pm sent back to ya.

Back to Bali Hi thread.
sorry for the derail

I just saw this event listed for April the 20th:

FIRST ANNUAL MUSUBI MAP POKE FESTIVAL APRIL 20TH!!!

http://ilovemusubi.com/2010/03/poke-festival-is-official/

GENERAL INFORMATION:
1st Annual Musubi Map Poke Festival & Competition
Bali Hai Restaurant April 20th, 2010 at 6pm
2230 Shelter Island Drive San Diego, CA 92106
Food, Music, Art and the best Restaurants Competing for “Best Poke”
TICKET INFO:
General Admission $35/Presale, $40/Door
$5 of this ticket price will be donated to Beacon of Hope Orphanage
Sample Poke from 20 different Chefs competing for “Best Poke”
Fill up on food from 15 other restaurants and caterers
Enjoy live music, entertainment, and art by Wade Koniakowsky and Clark Little
This ticket will be raffled to win prizes from our sponsors
VIP Admission $85/Presale, $100/Door
$10 of this ticket price will be donated to Beacon of Hope Orphanage
Sample Poke from 20 different Chefs competing for “Best Poke”
Fill up on food from 15 other restaurants and caterers
Enjoy live music, entertainment and art by Wade Koniakowsky and Clark Little
This ticket will be raffled to win prizes from our sponsors
VIP Only: Sample Poke from second category “Surprise Me” Poke
VIP Only: Drink ticket for your first Primo Beer or Barefoot Wine
VIP Only: This ticket will be raffled to win art from Wade Koniakowsky and Clark Little
VIP Only: Gift Bags filled with lots of aloha from our sponsors (est. value $200)

Thanks for posting, Buzzy! That got me searching again. Paydirt:

After three months of overhaul, San Diego’s iconic Bali Hai restaurant is preparing to publicly unveil an exotic $4 million facelift and a new menu on Thursday, April 22.

http://sdnews.com/view/full_story/7000058/article-Landmark-Bali-Hai-gets--4M-overhaul

Alright, Mr. Bali Hai, I'm ready for my Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2010-04-15 21:32 ]

I know that the 1st night of Tiki Oasis is there, and a few people have had weddings there.

But someone in SD needs to plan another tiki event.
the Tiki Mag/art show/with bands was real cool.

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-04-15 21:31, bamalamalu wrote:
Thanks for posting, Buzzy! That got me searching again. Paydirt:

After three months of overhaul, San Diego’s iconic Bali Hai restaurant is preparing to publicly unveil an exotic $4 million facelift and a new menu on Thursday, April 22.

http://sdnews.com/view/full_story/7000058/article-Landmark-Bali-Hai-gets--4M-overhaul

Alright, Mr. Bali Hai, I'm ready for my Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2010-04-15 21:32 ]

Thank You! Of course the Union Tribune has none of that information, since the Union Tribune now only carries stories they're paid to carry.

TL

I just drove by 10 mins. ago and there's a sign out front stating that they are open for dinner and cocktails tonight!!! See ya there.

pics please.

They are indeed! We lucked out last night, though the official/grand opening is still next Thursday. It wasn't quite finished yet - there's still some more art to go back up on the walls, there were guys working on getting the new sign in place, etc. But open they are! The look is sleeker but the Tikis and art are still there - right down to the door handles/plates on the restroom doors (yes!) The wood all looks beautiful, no more paint. Lots of nice new lamps, lava rock & torches burning outside...It's different; But it's good. Considering what's happened to so many other places, I was pleasantly relieved. Will definitely be back very soon to explore more.

Calling for reservations probably isn't a a bad idea - for a place that nobody knows is open, they had a really good crowd.

I'll try to get some pictures posted if no one beats me to it.

MG

I just got of the phone with Grant at the Bali Hai. It sounded like they were packed....

In all the excitement of being there, I didn't get as many pictures as I should have. Somehow I managed not to get any of the new expanded bar/lounge area. When you come to the top of the stairs, everything is all open now, with a big lounge area off to the right where the buffet room used to be. Again, it's a sleeker look now, but the Tikis and art are all there, and the wood all looks fantastic. Lots more visible beams and all now, and a bunch of cool bamboo & tapa lamps. Sorry for not having more/better shots to share, but here's a little tease...

Outside - all spiffed up, super bright Goof. New sign going up by the elevator area

Wave area to the left outside, where the old mural was; sounds like there will be some light effects here

Oudoor area out back. Unfortunately the bridge is history, but the opened space does give better views from tables on that side of the dining room, and it is surrounded on the road side by lava rock wall

Mr. Bali Hai with a fresh coat. No more chipped eye.

We dug the tile in the lobby

New door to the South Pacific room downstairs, some bamboo on the walls

Lobby, by the stairs

New stairs

Looking back at the bar from inside the dining room

The onyx lights up / glows after dark. Yup, those are puffer fish lamps up above the bar

Very small sample of lamps

LT

On 2010-04-17 19:48, bamalamalu wrote:
New stairs

Something's missing...

On 2010-04-17 20:10, LOL Tiki wrote:

On 2010-04-17 19:48, bamalamalu wrote:
New stairs

Something's missing...

They're not done putting things back, so you might still be able to grab a Boobie on the way out later.

On 2010-04-17 18:20, MEAN GENE wrote:
I just got of the phone with Grant at the Bali Hai. It sounded like they were packed....

There was a 29th Birthday party in the Lounge area.

T

Well....

I LOVE the slatted wood on the exterior...Very 1960's MCM/tiki.

Not sure if I like the downstairs lobby yet....I seem to remember some fake(?) foliage there, making it more tropical...now it's a bit sparse.

I agree about the upstairs lobby tile...cool !

I like the outdoor landscape, but am really annoyed that they removed the bridge....such a rare thing in Tiki establishments these days....they should have kept it.

The Onyx covering on the bar...don't care for that too much.

So far, it looks pretty cool....at least it's still there for us all to enjoy,

did Trader Vics buy them out??

Some Crappy Camera Phone Pics from last night:

Oceanic Arts Lamps

Onyx Bar

Menu

Some shots of the new Lounge area

The Tapa cloth is going into these frames over the stairs, and the old Islands of the Pacific display will go on the wall between the Bathrooms

New sign lit up at night

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies