Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Bali Hai remodel

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

A friend just emailed me this today. It seems, well....ah just read it.

Disclaimer: forgive me if this has already been discussed. I searched and found nothing about it on TC.

This is from the San Diego Metropolitan Magazine and the Daily Business Report (daily email).
http://www.sandiegometro.com/index.php

The Bali Hai restaurant, a fixture on Shelter Island for the past 56 years, is getting a $3 million makeover. Graham Downes Architecture has begun design work for an extensive remodel of the restaurant at 2230 Shelter Island Drive . Built in 1953, the Bali Hai was the first Tiki Temple erected on Shelter Island and was originally called The Hut. In 1955, restaurant manager Tom Ham took over the ailing business and transformed it into one of the liveliest gathering places in San Diego . For several years, the Bali Hai featured a popular Polynesian floor show in its South Pacific Room, where many celebrities danced and socialized.

The Bauman family, owner of the Bali Hai, engaged Graham Downes Architecture for the renovation of both exterior and interior components of the restaurant. The restaurant will be modernized in accordance with its South Pacific Islands cuisine concept.

The $3 million renovation encompasses the original 19,500-square-foot, two-story building; a new 2,000-square-foot multi-function pavilion to be used for weddings, parties and corporate events; and the abundant, landscaped grounds for outdoor patio dining and wedding ceremonies. The new, freestanding pavilion will have a separate bar with dedicated restrooms and direct access to the adjacent kitchen. Construction completion of all phases is expected by June 2010.

Caryn Bailey is project manager for Graham Downes Architecture, with Maria Carrillo and Alex van Osten as project designers. Graham Downes is principal-in-charge.
The Bauman family also owns and operates the Bali Hais sister facility on Shelter Island , Tom Hams Lighthouse. Susan Bauman is Tom Hams daughter.

SF

[ Edited by: Sofa King 2009-02-12 11:01 ]

When I hear the word 'remodel' I always cringe. It usually means "we're changing it and you're not going to like it", but you never know. I only visited the Bali Hai once this past summer. Unfortunately didn't have enough time to dine or drink there, just stopped by to take a look and buy some stuff at the gift shop. I hope whatever they do is just an upscale 'spit and polish' without any big changes.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2009-02-12 11:54 ]

From what I've heard they are just cleaning it up/updating the inside. Fresh Paint, Carpet, and Updated bathrooms :)

I was there last night and concur with WooHoo. Sounded like interior updating and a little work around back to make a permenant outdoor pavillion to replace the large tent they use on the patio. They want to be ready for wedding season.

Zulu

A

Personally, I'd like to see a bigger, better bar area. The current one is cramped and gets really crowded quickly.

T

^ +1

I REALLLLLY hope it works out well for the tiki community.
http://www.grahamdownesarchitecture.com/index.php

One can only hope it is a touch up and not a remodel. The place is in poor condition, upstairs gets pretty warm for the employees and guests, the carpet is in sad shape and they do need to clean the beautiful windows and re-caulk them, that would be a good investment along with the pavilion addition. Hard to believe that in this sinking economy they are going to invest $$$ in this project. Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.

K

Well I hope to see the newely remodel Bali Hai soon!

LT

On 2009-02-12 18:57, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I REALLLLLY hope it works out well for the tiki community.
http://www.grahamdownesarchitecture.com/index.php

The architect has some project renderings/elevations up on their website.

http://www.grahamdownesarchitecture.com/projects/details/bali_hai

No Goof? No Mr. Bali Hai? Good God, it looks like an outdoor version of the Trader Vic's in Vegas. Hopefully those will remain and the architect just decided to not be that detailed on his drawings. If not, this is gonna blow. Probably means there wont be a gift shop or any tikis inside either.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2009-02-12 21:16 ]

LT

Hopefully the objects used in place of The Goof and Mr. Bali Hai are just convenient placeholders used to generate the renderings.

spam anyone?

A

On 2009-02-12 21:13, Tiki Shaker wrote:
No Goof? No Mr. Bali Hai? Good God, it looks like an outdoor version of the Trader Vic's in Vegas. Hopefully those will remain and the architect just decided to not be that detailed on his drawings. If not, this is gonna blow. Probably means there wont be a gift shop or any tikis inside either.

I think that head in the entryway is supposed to be Mr. Bali Hai. And since the Goof and Mr. Bali Hai mugs are popular, I doubt they'll get rid of either. The architect probably just didn't go to the trouble of recreating in his drawings.

M

hmmm I sure hope it looks better than those drawings. I agree it could use some updating around the place though. I'm sure they owners understand Bali Hai is popular because of it's decor, that's why we all love to visit.

According to some talk I overheard from the Management they're tearing out the stairway & replacing it with a glass-enclosed stairwell, then they're moving seating for the bar into the side room where they currently do the Lunch Buffet, and they're adding Sports Bar styling to the bar with several wall mounted Plasma TVs.

The Gift Shop has been closed & the contents sold, and from what I've heard will either be an office for management or a small meeting room.

On 2009-02-13 08:48, arriano wrote:

On 2009-02-12 21:13, Tiki Shaker wrote:

I think that head in the entryway is supposed to be Mr. Bali Hai. And since the Goof and Mr. Bali Hai mugs are popular, I doubt they'll get rid of either. The architect probably just didn't go to the trouble of recreating in his drawings.

To Joe Architect, a wooden Moai is probabaly the same as a... a um, ... What exactly is Mr Bali Hai?

A

On 2009-12-14 17:37, freddiefreelance wrote:
According to some talk I overheard from the Management they're tearing out the stairway & replacing it with a glass-enclosed stairwell, then they're moving seating for the bar into the side room where they currently do the Lunch Buffet, and they're adding Sports Bar styling to the bar with several wall mounted Plasma TVs.

The Gift Shop has been closed & the contents sold, and from what I've heard will either be an office for management or a small meeting room.

Hmmmm.... I have mixed feelings. I applaud plans for a larger bar area. That's always been needed. But I'm not too thrilled with a sports bar motif. Still, probably should hold judgment until it's complete.

I'm not surprised about the demise of the gift shop since it was only opened if you asked somebody to open it. Not sure I understand the glass enclosed stairway.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2009-12-16 13:27 ]

I agree...the "sport's bar" thang sounds ominous. Loss of the gift shop is not bad if it helps to improve the bar space. Hope the overall atmosphere doesn't get screwed up.

The Goof staying is mandatory!! Its an iconic symbol of the Bali Hai and just the right kind of humor for a tiki bar.

On 2009-12-15 08:47, arriano wrote:

On 2009-12-14 17:37, freddiefreelance wrote:

Hmmmm.... I have mixed feelings. I applaud plans for a larger bar area. That's always been needed. But I'm not too thrilled with a sports bar feelings. Still, probably should hold judgment until it's complete.

I'm not surprised about the demise of the gift shop since it was only opened if you asked somebody to open it. Not sure I understand the glass enclosed stairway.

The pictures of the stairwell they've posted by the front door have a Scandinavian "Wood & Glass" look, something a little like the balcony & pergola pictures on the Architect's drawings (the link is on the first page).

A

On 2009-12-16 07:17, Mongoloid wrote:
The Goof staying is mandatory!! Its an iconic symbol of the Bali Hai and just the right kind of humor for a tiki bar.

I would be very surprised if the Goof and Mr. Bali Hai did not remain. They've been used as symbols for the restaurant for so long and they serve their drinks in mugs based on both.

Hi - just in case anyone's planning a trip - This Sunday, January 3, 2010 is the last day Bali Hai will be open before shutting down for the remodel. Sounds like they won't reopen until March.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2009-12-30 17:06 ]

Thanks for the update...that means we can experience the (hopefully) new & improved Bali Hai for Tiki Oasis. :)

T

Aloha !

I stopped bai the Bali Hai on Sunday. There are chalk marks on the ground all
around the south-side garden area. Looks like the garden / pond / bridge may
be tiki history.

There are also tape markings on the concrete about half way between
the building and the edge of the patio. Probably indicating the extent of
the new upstairs deck. Lots more room upstairs !

MrGreenTiki

I worked for/with Caryn Bailey when we both worked for Durrant Architects here in Tucson back in the '90s. I'm sure she will do a good job, probably constained by what the owners want. Alot of architects get flak for doing ugly work, but some of that is dictated by the owners wants & ideas (also budget). Here's hoping they do a great job with the kind of atmosphere it deserves.

A
Al-ii posted on Sat, Jan 23, 2010 9:30 PM

Artist rendering taken from construction poster

SAVE THE GOOF!

Thanks for the update on this.

You know the removal of the Goof is going to be fast and swift to avoid a scene.
Hope someone can grab it.

On 2010-01-24 10:04, Unga Bunga wrote:
You know the removal of the Goof is going to be fast and swift to avoid a scene.
Hope someone can grab it.

You sure it's gonna go? They might have been simply too lazy to render it in. The current proprietor is part of the original owner's family and he does value tradition. Though if the Goof is in falling-apart condition, he probably would discard it. Kevin and Jody never made it up there...

S

As of today, Mr Bali Hai and the goof have remained untouched, I imagine they will be kept. Especially given they now have the goof mugs to go along with Mr. Bali Hai.

Like many I am sure, if the Goof is discarded, I would love to grab it.

It would mean a little something special to have it at our house, since the previous owners of our house were in fact the Hamms (Tom Hamm previous owner of BaliHai and Tom Hamms lighthouse)

This blurb was in the paper a couple weeks ago - sounds like he'll still be there!
(We'd heard that they were aiming for the March 20th date, but it could be as late as April depending on how things went and what came up during the remodel, so that may not be exact.)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/09/woman-seeking-donations-canine-garb-help-warm-dogs/

Hai and dry

Bali Hai, the tiki-guarded Shelter Island landmark, didn’t open for business this week. But it’s not closing for good.

Despite rumors that the 57-year-old Polynesian-themed restaurant may have succumbed to the sick economy, owners say it is merely undergoing a complete and long-planned remodel in conjunction with the renewal of its lease for 30 years.

The roof is being replaced. But the six-foot tall ceremonial chieftain head mounted there when the restaurant opened in 1953 and was briefly called Christian’s Hut, will be refurbished. Plus, a second-floor outdoor dining deck will be added, say owners Larry and Susie Baumann.

The Bali Hai will reopen March 20 with a new chef and a revamped Pacific Rim menu that includes old favorites.

sirginn,

That is very cool, were there any Tiki items in or around the house when you bought it?

Can't be the Bali Hai without the Goof, hope your prediction rings true.

Long live the Goof.

Someone get on the Bat Phone and call Kevin and Jody!

DC

To this day, the original inspiration for the Goof as Christian's Hut logo is still a mystery to be solved!

S

Dustycajun,

to our dismay, there were no tiki items in the house, it had been rented and was then empty for a while prior to us purchasing it, the closest thing was an old concrete garden buddah.

Now however the house has become a tiki shrine, filled with mugs, carvings, art, and lots of rum.

We did not realize that the previous owners were the Hamms when we bought it, so it was a cool coincidence to learn from the neighbors that our house was the previously owned by the owners of the BaliHai.

Being tikiphiles, and loving the BaliHai, it mad our new house seem that much more special.

Very cool! Too bad it wasn't like REN CLARK'S home! :D

S

Yeah BigBro,

reading the Ren Clark thread I could not help thinking the same thing...

Below is a painting of the house done by the talented Danny Heller, who will be featured at teh Palm Springs Modernism week.

Sirginn,

Sounds like the Tiki gods smiled and had you buy the Tamm's old house to return it to Tiki glory. How about a couple of photos?

DC

Sirginn, Awesome coincidence. Great house, great painting.

J

L.A. Dodgers chef Dave Pearson?

I'm just sayin'

Are you saying they completely made up the design on the hat !? :D

Hilarious! Clear ethnographic proof! Highly politically incorrect! I love it.

from Thor Heyerdahl's "American Indians in the Pacific":

Brilliant, J.P.

We like the Goof.

'The Goof Gets The Girl'

Original mosaic by us:)

G

The interior is completely gutted. Downstairs nothing remains but the floor to ceiling posts.

Upstairs,the bar is gone and all the walls are bare, nothing but frame (2 X 4's)very eerie looking.

Remember the cool door handles on the bathrooms? no more doors, no more walls.

all the tables and chairs however are stacked up in back in that new outdoor stage area.

Mr. Bali Hai remains out front, covered in plastic.

Lava Rock Walls are taken down. The artist rendering shows what appears to be a new fountain type thing where the rock wall was.

That was scary to read...
I really hope they put back up all of the great OA stuff that they had in there... Are they intending to retain the theme? I'd hate to see a makeover like they did at the Hanalei...

That is tooooo funny jonpaul!!!

Eeeeek...must be scary to see the place empty....ghosts are swirling around the water's edge!!!

When I was about 6 or 8 years old there was a school artwork contest display there. My chalk rendition of a vase on a table won a 1st place ribbon. I still have it in the original frame with the ribbon hanging on it...LOL. Now if I could just find it in all the boxes still unpacked in my garage, I'm gonna put that baby on the lounge wall. ORIGINAL PRIZED ART...from the Bali Hai art show...PRICELESS I tell ya. :)

On 2010-01-23 21:30, Al-ii wrote:

Finally, alfresco ocean front dining. As much as I like slanted windows, why would Bali Hai have everyone sit INDSIDE in San Diego?

On 2009-02-12 11:00, Sofa King wrote:
The $3 million renovation encompasses the original 19,500-square-foot, two-story building; a new 2,000-square-foot multi-function pavilion to be used for weddings, parties and corporate events;

$3 Million is a huge investment.

I wish someone would spend $3 Million restoring an oceanfront restaurant in LA. The Bali Hai is going to put Gladstones and those resturants along Hermosa or the Redondo Beach pier to shame.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies